Dell 2407WFP-HC is available now

This is a bit of a thread hijack, but its a quick question so I don't think it deserves its own topic. I have had a 2407WFP A02 that has satisfied me almost completely for the past year. I'm considering buying an xbox360 for the dorm room next year. Is there any chance dell would upgrade me to the A04, or do I not have a warranty/would I need to have a real complaint?

I know the trick to overvolting HDD's to kill them instantly - if you've got a warranty, i'm sure there's somehow you can do the same to an LCD :)

Yikes...

I've been loving my 2407WFP-HC for games so far.
But, tonight I put in my Serenity DVD and whoa... image-shift-arama via viewing-angle.
It's like it changes Brightness and Contrast depending on viewing angle.

At two feet away, it's hard not to miss.
Especially in dark scenes!
It's noticeably lighter from the right and the same or darker from the left.
Just by moving maybe 8-10 inches. (after quite a bit of non-pro calibration too)
Then I would forget about it and just watch the movie, but when I would unconsciously
shift in my chair it was like different brightness/contrast settings.
I checked the for a bleeding backlight, but as I've stated before, it seems very consistent.

I think I "get" the complaints of the 2405/2407/PVA-etc now.
I suppose playing racing games masked that effect as they tend to be in daylight.
It almost made me dizzy trying to watch the DVD.

Since this is connected to a second computer, I was considering swapping my
Viewsonic VP201b S-IPS for it and using the Dell as main monitor.
Not now.

If fact, if the 3007WFP-HC is truly an S-IPS, and if being an S-IPS screen is really what
makes the Viewsonic such a joy to use for the past 3+ years, then I fear that the 24"
will have to go back.

Of course, now Dell has taken the 30" back up to $1500.
And with a 30", I'd probably want to use the display for both computers...
which is tough to do on a single-DVI connection. Maybe the 3-DVI from HP.

In truth, I never plan on watching movies on the 24", but that color-shift completely rules
out ever transferring over to being my main monitor.
Not to mention night-races in GTR2/Rfactor. (untested before now because they heavily-tax my 7900GTX)

Just my FYI...

Update:
After composing this post, I put the Serenity DVD in the Viewsonic to compare.
It takes a much wider swing in viewing angle to get much less shift.
It's like the S-IPS only mildly shifts Brightness OR Contrast at the far edge of the viewing angle,
whereas the Dell shifts both within a much smaller range.

I'm interested in hearing some of the other owners opinions on this...

Welcome to PVA and you now understand what many of us have been talking about. You will never be happy with anything but an IPS monitor.

Wow, is it really that noticeable? I'm undecided between this and the FP241WZ, but they are both PVA panels! (though the Benq has a A-MVA, which could make a difference). Anyway, I will be coming from an S-IPS monitor, the dell 2001fp. This monitor is great for colours and viewing angles, but unbelievebly bad for input lag. Infact, I noticed this lag when I had it dualed up with a CRT, both dismissed it as ghosting when I didn't know what it was.
Anyway, are all PVA panels this bad? Like I said I'm sure I will notice anything, since I'll be coming from an IPS.

Silly question, but can you turn off the source input button (i.e. "2") or is that always on?

I have used my 2407wfp-hc for about 10 days now. No dead/stuck pixels, very little backlight bleed, no audible "buzzing", etc.

Its been calibrated (via Spyder2) for 5 days. I cant comment on color shifts with viewing angle because glare from the lights and windows behind me create more shifts and distractions than this. I havent noticed these shifts at night but I may be less critical than some in this area. I only use it for computer browsing and some amature photo editing. I am pretty happy.

However, It does have significant black crush. The white point is white (with minor adjustment of the RGB gains), and the gray is gray (all levels to white). The colors are brilliant but controlled. I would be ecstatic but the blacks are crushed, heavily crushed. But nothings perfect in LCD land (yet) and I am pretty happy.

Mac

I say get the 26" Planar.. At least until I change my mind again.. actually its now more like 70%/30% in favor of the Planar after seeing just how really crappy PVA is plus the input lag. Fweh.

I just received my new 2407WFP-HC rev00 made in Mexico.
Brightness is 42 & Contrast is 50 and I use a 8800 NVIDIA card with the DVI connection.

1) The default image is bit yellowish. I easily solved this by lightly tweaking the colors. The difference is day and night after calibrating the monitor using the the Spyder2Express ;)
2) The mouse pointer leaves a light trail over a white background. This is much less obvious than my old 2407WFP rev03 which left a green or pink trail. Anyone experiencing this?
3) After calibration, the colors are more vivid than the non HC. which now looks dull! This is certainly the most interesting improvement. In fact, the HC monitor is gorgeous.
4) There is no vertical nor horizontal banding (Thank god!). From my test, the desktop, multimedia and gaming modes are all banding free.
5) No dead pixel and no defective sub pixel (this varies by unit)
6) Uniformity is ok but not incredible. In fact, I find the non HC uniformity better.
8) Black is better than the non-HC but there is still room for improvements. Note that I am very picky about this and I cannot wait for the new LED monitors with local dimming...
7) From the monitor menu -> Display settings -> Wide Mode is not available. Therefore, I cannot select 1:1 option!!! WTF? I thought that this was fixed!!?? Any suggestions? Edit: See solution at posts 141 & 143
8) Viewing angles is better than the non HC version.

I just received my new 2407WFP-HC rev00 made in Mexico.
Brightness is 42 & Contrast is 50 and I use a NVIDIA card

1) The default image is bit yellowish. I easily solved this by lightly tweaking the colors. Anyway, I will shortly use my Spyder2Express calibration tool.;)
2) The mouse pointer leaves a light trail over a white background. This is much less obvious than my old 2407WFP rev03 which left a green or pink trail. Anyone experiencing this?
3) The colors are more vivid than the non HC.
4) There is no vertical nor horizontal banding (Thank god!). From my test, the desktop, multimedia and gaming modes are banding free.
5) No dead pixel and no defective sub pixel
6) Uniformity is ok but not incredible.
8) Black is better than the non-HC but there is still room for improvements. Note that I am very picky about this and I cannot wait for the new LED monitors with local dimming...
7) From the monitor menu -> Display settings -> Wide Mode is not available. Therefore, I cannot select 1:1 option!!! WTF? I thought that this was fixed!!?? Any suggestions?

This is the same question that I have about the menu. How are you supposed to adjust "wide mode" "sharpness" or "zoom". I cant get into these on the menu.........they are not highlighted. Is it the same way on the regular 2407WFP? I have mine hooked up to the DVI. I was thinking maybe it had to be hooked up to the VGA connection??

Also in regard to the "zoom" function which appears to be set to zero. I have this monitor side by side with my BenQ 241W monitor and the images on the 2407 including the desktop image seem to look larger or closer than the Benq. I cant figure out why it is this way??

Someone asked this on about the first page of the thread, but i dont think anyone answered it, what IS the difference between the HC and non HC 2407? Why is there an HC version, what is it for?

I read most of the thread but i still cannot tell whats going on.

Basically, the HC version features an updated panel. The new panel is able to render 92 % of color scope NTSC instead of 70%. This can be useful for photographers who requires a higher gamut of color.
Now, it seems that Dell screwed up the firmware again...

Basically, the HC version features an updated panel. The new panel is able to render 92 % of color scope NTSC instead of 70%. This can be useful for photographers who requires a higher gamut of color.
Now, it seems that Dell screwed up the firmware again...

so what kind of panel is it now?

are they going to update the 2007wpf then too?

Someone asked this on about the first page of the thread, but i dont think anyone answered it, what IS the difference between the HC and non HC 2407? Why is there an HC version, what is it for?

I read most of the thread but i still cannot tell whats going on.

HC is for high colour ie 92% ntsc gamut.

The HC does do 1:1 and 1080p. It won't do 1080p over component due to hdcp restrictions. It will however do 1080i over component.

This monitor is basically no difterent to the A04 rev. The main difference is it now uses the AUOptronics 24" AMVA instead of Samsung 24" SPVA.

Oh and contrast can now be changed over DVI.

If you can't get 1:1 ratio to work make sure you have the 'monitor to scale' selected in your videocard control panel.

I must say that I really like the IQ of the HC. The colors are so vivid! The red and green seem so much more alive.

This monitor is basically no difterent to the A04 rev. The main difference is it now uses the AUOptronics 24" AMVA instead of Samsung 24" SPVA...
f you can't get 1:1 ratio to work make sure you have the 'monitor to scale' selected in your videocard control panel.

Well I believe you are right about the panel but there is still no official confirmation.

In the NVIDIA control panel, select the Display -> Change flat panel scaling menu and select the 'Use my display's built-in scaling'.
At 1920*1200, the 1:1 option is greyout in the monitor menu but the option is available at other resolutions such as 1920*1080 and 1600*1200.
This is alright since 1:1 does not make sense at the 1920*1200 native resolution...

1:1 works at 1080p over DVI.

Edit:
http://pigsterwiki.com/24-inch/dell-2407wfp-hc-24-review-at-itmedia/
I connected a PS3 via a HDMI-DVI cable and there were no problems. It did 1080p with 1:1.

Yeah that's right with the scaling, when you run at native res, there is no need to scale.
As soon as you run a program out of native res i.e 1280x1024 the options are no longer greyed out and you can select 1:1 and the program runs at that res with the bars around it.

Well I believe you are right about the panel but there is still no official confirmation.

I think the only confirmation we will get is when someone pulls theirs apart.
I have searched the net and the only wide ccfl (high gamut) screen I can find is the AUO version.

I think the only confirmation we will get is when someone pulls theirs apart.
I have searched the net and the only wide ccfl (high gamut) screen I can find is the AUO version.

Ive already made up my mind, its off my list, smells like S-PVA.

Ive already made up my mind, its off my list, smells like S-PVA.

I had both the A04 and HC here side by side.
The HN213 of the A04 is definitely SPVA
The HC has FAR better viewing angles than the A04, which is one reason I believe it's not SPVA. The other reason is, show me a wccfl PVA panel that Samsung make.

In the NVIDIA control panel, select the Display -> Change flat panel scaling menu and select the 'Use my display's built-in scaling'.
At 1920*1200, the 1:1 option is greyout in the monitor menu but the option is available at other resolutions such as 1920*1080 and 1600*1200.
This is alright since 1:1 does not make sense at the 1920*1200 native resolution...

1:1 works at 1080p over DVI.

Edit:
http://pigsterwiki.com/24-inch/dell-2407wfp-hc-24-review-at-itmedia/
I connected a PS3 via a HDMI-DVI cable and there were no problems. It did 1080p with 1:1.

Well you answered my question. I noticed that the "wide mode" "sharpness" and "zoom" are greyed out on my 2407HC. So why sharpness and zoom? I notice with the 2407HC and the BenQ 241 side by side everything looks closer "zoomed" on the 2407HC yet I cant adjust this.

HC is for high colour ie 92% ntsc gamut.

The HC does do 1:1 and 1080p. It won't do 1080p over component due to hdcp restrictions. It will however do 1080i over component.

This monitor is basically no difterent to the A04 rev. The main difference is it now uses the AUOptronics 24" AMVA instead of Samsung 24" SPVA.

Oh and contrast can now be changed over DVI.

If you can't get 1:1 ratio to work make sure you have the 'monitor to scale' selected in your videocard control panel.

oh so it does have a new and different panel, i didnt think any monitor was using the AMVA yet. MVA's do seem to poke their head in randomly with monitors.

But it doesnt seem like anyone's sure of this, isnt there an enthusiast site somewhere that assuredly lists it as having MVA?

I mean, it feels kind of like saying the Viewsonic VX20235 was MVA (when it clearly wasnt).

Image Max H-View Angle +89 / -89

Image Max V-View Angle +89 / -89

I don't know if this bad or good. Can anyone tell me how you can tell if this is bad or good?

Image Max H-View Angle +89 / -89

Image Max V-View Angle +89 / -89

I don't know if this bad or good. Can anyone tell me how you can tell if this is bad or good?

That's 178-degrees.
Great if it were true...

"178-deg" used a good way to ID an S-IPS monitor from the specs.
But I think the manufacturers have become wise and started using that figure for everything.

The Dell can technically been seen from 89-deg either way, but the image will look
nothing like the view from straight-on.

This is a bit off-topic but I figure this is the best place to ask since there are some HC owners here.

Between the HC and an LG L245WP-BN, which is better? I've read the reviews and such but it's still difficult to decide. Hardly anyone is saying much about the LG. Everyone pretty much compares the BenQ and the Dell even though that BenQ vs Dell vs LG review, seems to favour the LG.

I'm leaving out the BenQ 24" since it's about the same price (in Canada, as the Dell HC). The LG is $599 now and I'm trying to decide between paying the extra $100 for the Dell.

My usage would be like this:
- Wii over Component
- PC Gaming (not much FPS, mostly RPG)
- TV over S-Video via my cable box -> Heavy usage
- Playing Video files and DVDs via my PC -> Heavy usage

If you have no idea about the LG, any comments about the above usage on the HC would be appreciated.

I intend to buy this monitor, when it come to Europe.
But I am worried about the font size. :(
Is it so bad ? Now I am using 19" CRT LG 1280x1024.
Do you think 1920x1200 is a too high resolution for everyday use.
I will use the monitor for almost evrerything: gaming , watching films, browsing, coding
and I am really confused about the resolution.
I will appreciate some comments about this. ;)

Well now I'm debating if I should snag one of these and ditch my Dual 2007WFP S-IPS panels? I know S-IPS is superior, but 1920 reso is tempting. I could always dual a 2007WFP with this 2407WFP but mismatched monitors might be an eyesore. Any suggestions?

The left image is before calibration (default colors provided by Dell) and right image is after calibration (using Spyder2Express).
The colors are much less yellowish after calibration...

my.php

Well now I'm debating if I should snag one of these and ditch my Dual 2007WFP S-IPS panels? I know S-IPS is superior, but 1920 reso is tempting. I could always dual a 2007WFP with this 2407WFP but mismatched monitors might be an eyesore. Any suggestions?

I know of one guy doing this.
He had an A04 and a 2007 but exchanged the A04 to a HC because of the better viewing angles that the HC gives. (Another reason it's not SPVA)
I think he's happy with his setup.

The panel used in the 2407WFP-HC is a Samsung S-PVA.

a friend of mine in samsung has confirmed.

a355, Samsung also has 102% colour gamut panels you won't see these latest panels on websites my friend.

Back