Dell 2407WFP-HC is available now

The panel used in the 2407WFP-HC is a Samsung S-PVA.

a friend of mine in samsung has confirmed.

a355, Samsung also has 102% colour gamut panels you won't see these latest panels on websites my friend.

That link you showed proves nothing. Nowhere does it say SPVA.

If your good friend works at the Samsung panel making factory, get him to put up a photo of it.

Nobody can put up ANY links to another panel, so until that is done, I will not believe any of this Samsung talk.

I had a SPVA A04 and this HC side by side for a week, and the A04 looks nothing like the HC
SPVA pfft.

Show me some links.

I can't believe there are still no input-lag numbers for the HC. That could also give a hint to the panel type.

I had a SPVA A04 and this HC side by side for a week, and the A04 looks nothing like the HC
SPVA pfft.

is the HC much better than the non-HC. i really want to get one, but never really like the non-hc. the colours seemed dull. and now i am concerned about the viewing angle on the non-hc

is the HC much better than the non-HC. i really want to get one, but never really like the non-hc. the colours seemed dull. and now i am concerned about the viewing angle on the non-hc

The HC has very vivid colour, so it's probably exactly what you want in that regard.
The viewing angles of the HC are a lot better than those on the A04. The blacks get slightly washed out at around 45deg from centre, but not much.
Overall it's not a bad buy.
The only thing I didn't like was the colour out of the box, it was very blue. This seems to be an issue with the Chinese made monitors. I fixed mine with a few RGB tweaks though.

Let me see, we cant tell what the panel technology is without opening it up. It performs like the Beng but it "smells like" a PVA. Maybe its an AUO, or maybe its a Samsung, probably not an LG. So I guess its anybodys guess. Why does it matter if the performance is acceptable and consistent?

Users (including me) report good colors, good viewing angles, no apparent artifacts, some trouble with crushed blacks. We are missing lag time measurements because no one has gone to the difficult trouble of measuring them. But I havent heard a single serious objection to the panels performance (although a few modest complaints about manufacturing tolerances and bezel alignment). So I dont really need to know the panel technology. Maybe its a Super TN, lol. Then again, maybe its an S-P-MVA, lol. Based on the reports so far its an MVA with IPS.

I think you get my point. We dont know and, frankly, I dont care except as a measure of who is who in panel manufacturing. If you like the panel performance buy it. If crushed blacks are a big turn off find something else. I, for one, am very happy.

I do worry that manufacturers (especially Dell and Samsung) seem to be playing a "lottery" style of panel substitution with the claim that "it meets the specification". Further, they seem to hide relavent details so discerning measurements cant be shared. That seems unscrupulous to me and much more of an issue than what panel technolgy they use to wring this kind of performance from.

Mac

if dell arnt willing to share the panel information then its off my list, no way will I ever go PVA again.

2 Questions about this monitor:

- What is crushed blacks?
- What is the quality like when playing DVDs, avi videos, TV from the computer or from another input?

Anyone? TIA

2 Questions about this monitor:

- What is crushed blacks?
- What is the quality like when playing DVDs, avi videos, TV from the computer or from another input?

Anyone? TIA

Crushed Blacks -
As colors get darker and darker they finally turn to black. This is easiest to see with a test pattern of shades of dark grey. If the darkest shade of grey looks like black, and the next darkest, looks black, etc. you have crushed blacks (or crushed grays). The term comes from the notion that the darkest colors are crushed into one, black. The resulting picture often lacks details in the shadows. A similar phenomenon can occur at the light end of the scale (crushed whites) but is much less common because its more objectionable and those kind of panels seldom gain popularity.

Video playback quality -
Perhaps someone else can give you more critical details than I on this since I am not a big used of video on my monitor. But the few times I have done it I have been pleased with the performance. No apparant artifacts, smooth shadings, and clear detail. But all scaling is done by my video card. I do not connect my DVD directly.

Hope this helps you somewhat.

Mac

so i guess people still dont know the panel type. I dunno what this talk is about better viewing angles though, unless the previous one was a TN i would have thought the viewing angles were pretty good already.

IMO, the non HC viewing angles were good.
I agree that the HC viewing angles are better.
As far as I am concerned, this is not an issue with both monitors.

Unfortunately like every LCD, the HC displays "black crush".
However, my HC passed the following black test with flying colors.
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

My brightness and contrast are respectively set to 42 and 50.

Well, it was a hard decision but I went for the Dell 2407WFP-HC. Can't afford the NEC H-ISP 26" panel although that is what I'd really like. Felt pretty good after I called in and got the 2407WFP-HC for 607 + tax, no shipping and a $100 gift card (but wasn't able to apply to this purchase). They were out of stock, but looking at an end of month ship date.

That was a less then the Benq FP241W from newegg even with rebate.

This will be my first LCD... coming from a Lacie 22" Electron Blue (poor thing is VERY sick), MultiSync FP950 (so sweet, but aging) and my FE990 (decent upper end consumer). Will be sure to profile it with my spyder and tell ya what I think. Though for fine color correction I'm sure I'll stick to my CRT's.

im going to buy a 2407wfp-hc tp re[;ace my current phillips 109b5, im going to be using it for my computer, xbox360 and hopefully as a tv. ive chosen it over other similar lcd's because of the price and variety of inputs. i just wanted to know if it is any good as a tv? it will also be replacing a grundig mw70 150/8: http://www.europeantv.com.au/mw70-150.html im doing this cause i just want 1 screen to save space in my room. just wondering if it is a good idea using it as a tv connected to a hd set top box or through the hd tv tuner card in my computer?

first post :p

Got mine in today. No backlight issues whatsoever, nice vivid colors, and decent viewing angles. Panel was made in Mexico, if there is anyone keeping track of these things. Color seemed fine, maybe a touch on the yellow side, but that's what color adjustments are for! Also, very bright. Default 50 is way to bright for normal usage. Overall though, I'd recommend it to people who don't have the 2407wfp A04.

I have this screen for about 10 days.

It is nice for anything but not colors/Photoshop/Digital photography.

You can't move your head without color shifting, color banding on the grey gradient and there is no way to adjust it properly or calibrate to get details in shadows.
Black is always crashed.
I was trying to make calibration with Eye-One Display 2 (which I have) and Spyder (which I borrowed) - no way.
Actually you can make it close by setting contrast to really low level, brightness to high, and then apply calibration but there is no black any more in this case - it is grey.
So, I guess I'll not touch MVA or PVA panels any more and will try to find good IPS one.
Probably like this one Planar PX2611W 26"

BTW main was assembled in Mexico.

How can you adjust the color temperature on this thing?

Go to the on screen menu, select color settings, then select which color(s) you want to lower (RGB) . It helps if you have a calibration tool like the Spyder2 or eye one.

Mac

Crushed Blacks -
As colors get darker and darker they finally turn to black. This is easiest to see with a test pattern of shades of dark grey. If the darkest shade of grey looks like black, and the next darkest, looks black, etc. you have crushed blacks (or crushed grays). The term comes from the notion that the darkest colors are crushed into one, black. The resulting picture often lacks details in the shadows. A similar phenomenon can occur at the light end of the scale (crushed whites) but is much less common because its more objectionable and those kind of panels seldom gain popularity.

Video playback quality -
Perhaps someone else can give you more critical details than I on this since I am not a big used of video on my monitor. But the few times I have done it I have been pleased with the performance. No apparant artifacts, smooth shadings, and clear detail. But all scaling is done by my video card. I do not connect my DVD directly.

Hope this helps you somewhat.

Mac

Thanks!

How is it that half the people say the viewing angles are good on this thing (better than non-HC), and the other half are complaining about them like every model before this one had better viewing angles?

What's going on here? I'm still waiting to pull the trigger on this purchase. Will we ever see anyone agreeing about anything regarding the HC? What about major website reviews? Any around for me to read?

Thanks.

I think the viewing angle on the 2407 is excellent. I am looking at the Planar 2611 which has the IPS screen and the Dell 2407 and both viewing angles are the same. It doesnt matter which angle you are looking nothing changes.

I think the viewing angle on the 2407 is excellent. I am looking at the Planar 2611 which has the IPS screen and the Dell 2407 and both viewing angles are the same. It doesnt matter which angle you are looking nothing changes.

MVA / P-MVA / PVA / S-PVA Compromise for All-Around Use
These panels are a compromise between the fast pixel response times of the TN panel and the excellent color reproduction of the IPS panels. Contrast and blacks are best of all the panel types. Viewing angles are similar but slightly inferior to IPS.

some annoying internet coloqualisms i can understand because they save people time, or its a hip abbreviation, but after looking for both tv's and monitors for a while, i'm getting a bit tired of people talking about "pulling the trigger", cant we just say "buy"? it's shorter ;)

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/dell_2xx7wfp.htm

"How to find firmware and panel" (I had to click the link twice to get to the proper section)

Has anyone with the HC tried this yet? At least maybe with the panel designation some of the google detectives can have a better chance of finding out more info on the panel being used.

I'm interested in gettin' one myself but don't have one else I'd have tried to check.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/dell_2xx7wfp.htm

"How to find firmware and panel" (I had to click the link twice to get to the proper section)

Has anyone with the HC tried this yet? At least maybe with the panel designation some of the google detectives can have a better chance of finding out more info on the panel being used.

I'm interested in gettin' one myself but don't have one else I'd have tried to check.

Already tried that first day I had one. Dell has removed useful panel information from the service menu. Instead there is a non-descript number (DR880) where the panel numbers used to be.

I am pretty sure its either PVA or MVA because it doesnt cost enough for IPS and its performance (especially viewing angles) are too good for TN. But, as I said earlier, we dont know and I am not sure why we care. If you are seeking a 24 inch IPS you arent looking for under $1000. Otherwise, this is a very nice panel.

Mac

This thread really needs more pics! I'm currently on the edge of snagging a 2407HC, trying to wait until fall semester at Uni, but yeah.. I want to see it in action, unfortunately no dell store for quite some distance.

Ok input lag, how do you measure that?

Also I have my old CRT still kicking around (saving it for my bro) I can hook it up and measure response time. How do I get around to doing that?

As soon as I find the damn cable for my digicam I'm taking a lot of pics and a video to show the viewing angles.

Well, just connect both the LCD and the CRT and use a program like Virtual Stopwatch, run it and take some snapshots..

I am pretty sure its either PVA or MVA because it doesnt cost enough for IPS and its performance (especially viewing angles) are too good for TN. But, as I said earlier, we dont know and I am not sure why we care. If you are seeking a 24 inch IPS you arent looking for under $1000. Otherwise, this is a very nice panel.

Mac

Agreed.

[H]eatpipe;1031287979 said:
Yikes...
But, tonight I put in my Serenity DVD and whoa... image-shift-arama via viewing-angle.
It's like it changes Brightness and Contrast depending on viewing angle.

I think I "get" the complaints of the 2405/2407/PVA-etc now.
I suppose playing racing games masked that effect as they tend to be in daylight.
It almost made me dizzy trying to watch the DVD.

Yep, that duck quacks like PVA.

I am unfortunately also in the Can't stand PVA shift club. I bought a 2405 and had to get rid of it as the shift would give me headaches, it created a phony 3d effect, felt like I was looking at one of those magic eye 3d posters...

BTW has anyone checked the last two digits of the serial number. For all the Dells I have checked. The letter indicates the panel manufacturer.

S = Samsung (PVA in this case)
L = LG-Philips (IPS on the 2007wfp)

The last two digits on my (rev 00 mexico) unit is J then S

fwiw last 4 digits are 1 L J S

The last two digits on my (rev 00 mexico) unit is J then S

fwiw last 4 digits are 1 L J S

Thanks. I think it is the last digit that counts. I couldn't remember for sure, not at home to check my old screen. Looks like further verification of Samsung Panel (PVA).

Yep, that duck quacks like PVA.

I am unfortunately also in the Can't stand PVA shift club. I bought a 2405 and had to get rid of it as the shift would give me headaches, it created a phony 3d effect, felt like I was looking at one of those magic eye 3d posters...

Well... I have an RMA, but I actually think I may keep it.

The backlight is consistent, no dead or stuck pixels, colors are great.
It's just the contrast-shift that bugs me.

Looking at Ebay, it seems that the resale of Dell 24" is really good,
so I guess I could always put it on there in the future.

I put some different DVDs in to see if it was just Serenity.
Austin Powers did the same thing, but again, only on the darkest scenes.

And Snowdog described the effect very well. Kind of 3D.
Almost like those hologram stickers.

I think I can live with it though.
What's the competition? A bunch of other 24" PVAs or an expensive H-IPS
that no one seems too crazy about.

I think "most" people will be thrilled with the HC...
There's just a few of us, maybe with great monitors in the past, that are especially picky.

Regards...

A couple questions:

1. How is the black text on white background clarity in native resolution mode (1920x1200)?

2. Anyone do a stopwatch test comparison (vs. CRT) to measure input lag?

Black text on white is very good, no color artifacts. I have also tried other colors (red, blue) on white, still good. This forum (white on black) looks great. My only complaint is black crush but I think I expected that.

I dont game so I cant comment on response times. But my mouse pointer doesnt leave a trail. Of course, fast moving objects (mouse pointer, window positioning) leave "snapshots" of the intermediate positions as they move and are refreshed.

I am comming from a CRT. But I am older (60+) and maybe my reflexes dont respond any faster than this panel, lol.

Mac

BTW has anyone checked the last two digits of the serial number. For all the Dells I have checked. The letter indicates the panel manufacturer.

S = Samsung (PVA in this case)
L = LG-Philips (IPS on the 2007wfp)

Not anymore, they stopped that after A,C,S debacle with the 226bw.

I just got the tracking number from the eBay seller, expected delivery is tomorrow :D

Back