Dell 2408WFP Now Available

Interesting link, but how the hell does one get rid of that ATT ad in the center of the page that blocks any link on the page??

Interesting link, but how the hell does one get rid of that ATT ad in the center of the page that blocks any link on the page??

I'm not used to seeing any ads (I use a combination of Mozilla Firefox 3.5 w/ Adblock Plus 1.02, the EasyList filter + pierceive's FilterGset). Then I also use the MVPS hosts file and SpyBot's Immunization.

On top of all that I use FlashBlock and NoScript, and in Firefox I have pop-ups, ActiveX disabled, and their phishing filter activated alonside Grisoft's AVG 8.5 Free including their Safe Search link blocker.

But if you're seeing an ad (I'm guessing here: http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.p...&p2=3788&ph=12 ), then maybe you can click "continue" to get rid of it? Otherwise I'm not totally sure.

Good luck.

Has anyone went from a A00 to A01 and are satisfied with the input lag improvement?

Ok well that's a definite improvement over what I must assume was the A0 version. But still 2FPS average input lag with up to 3FPS lag will bother most hardcore gamers. It should be ok for those who aren't as perceptive of the input lag issue and/or don't play as demanding games.

Ok well that's a definite improvement over what I must assume was the A0 version. But still 2FPS average input lag with up to 3FPS lag will bother most hardcore gamers. It should be ok for those who aren't as perceptive of the input lag issue and/or don't play as demanding games.

I do agree with you there. If I was still in the competitive, online, fast-paced gaming scene I would have to stick with either a CRT or a low input lag LCD panel (such as my ViewSonic VX922b).

However, I would say that the vast majority of gamers (even moderate ones) will not be affected by this. While I did still feel a slight delay in my mouse movement, it was not game-changing for me.

So sad when you think about it; to me this monitor would be damn near flawless if it weren't for the input delay. Still, for the money, this thing is great.

I would recommend a two monitor solution for hardcore gamers (like I have mine setup):

I've got my CRT sitting next to it (like in the pictures I took). Most of the time I just use the LCD by itself (or the CRT as a dual setup, but damn is that a energy guzzler), but if refresh rate / input lag / response time are critical, I just swap to my CRT.

I game every once in a while. I saw a video or two and A0 was definitely bad IMO. I have a LG L246WP now and I'm happy with that but I've heard the input lag is really low on that...which might make any revision of the Dell look bad? I don't know.

Do we notice any lagging in windows? (i mean not in games), cos im thinking of buying one for my desktop works like web desinging and stuff.

ya, i know its the same. But what i ask was "how we notice it in windows". Basically do we feel any lagging in windows?

I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel the difference in lag in Windows when I move my mouse in my hand, and observe the cursor on the screen (compared to my old CRT). It is quite subtle, but definitely there.

For reference I use a Logitech MX310 USB, corded, optical mouse, with the latest (albeit old) drivers/etc. I use it on a home-made mousepad and wrist-rest (very crude like t-shirt + cardboard + duct tape).

On an interesting note, having use it for 2 days now... I'm noticing the difference less and less.

It's not as bad as the feel you get from a crappy wireless mouse (i.e. the Logitech MX5000 keyboard+mouse combo that includes a bluetooth wireless laser mouse feels a lot laggier than this screen).

Like in my earlier postings, I'd say there's roughly an 11ms to 47ms lag, with an average of ~31ms. I don't know how you could simulate this yourself, but, maybe someone out there knows of a driver/hack that can purposely delay your mouse or monitor information. That would help you to feel what it would be like.

How to check which revision you get; if I buy from Dell now, is A02 what I'll get? Is it written somewhere? Is A02 the latest one?

Thanks!

I bought two of these monitors.
I did NOT notice any lag whatsoever (I'm not not a pro-gamer though) but for casual gaming / any other purpose the lag is not a problem (rev A01, apparently A00 was noticeable)

What I found excellent about them: The adjustable stand, screen rotation, USB hub/flash reader, huge array of inputs, very nice looking.

What I did not like was colour reproduction. Even after running a Spyder 3, the colour was off. Pink tint along the left, bluish through most of the right end of the panel. White screens never quite look white, and depending on where you move the window, the tint changes.

I escaped the world of TN panels so now I'm not bothered not viewing angles but instead by weird tints. These Dell panels look sexy but I secretly lust after my old CRT ;)

I escaped the world of TN panels so now I'm not bothered not viewing angles but instead by weird tints. These Dell panels look sexy but I secretly lust after my old CRT ;)
So do you think it is a big improvement to go from TN to VA?

How to check which revision you get; if I buy from Dell now, is A02 what I'll get? Is it written somewhere? Is A02 the latest one?

Thanks!

When I received mine from Dell, the revision A02 was marked via a sticker on both the package and the monitor.

A way to check if it's unrevised at all, in the controls adjust the sharpness: if you can only move in increments of 25, then your monitor is unrevised.

Hey Dymlos, could you take some pictures of your Dell side by side with the CRT with them displaying the same images? I'm planning on getting one and wanna see what the wide gamut looks like.

I just picked up a 2408wfp recently. I must say it is awesome. I guess I have the newer revision since my sharpness adjusts in increments/decrements of 10. However anyway I play fps and do not notice any ghosting and/or input lag. Right next to my 2408 I have a 1907fp and I must say the spva panel craps all over the tn panel. Before I had my 1907fp I had the 1905fp which was also a pva panel. It died and when I got the 1907fp as a repalcement I knew something just didn't seem as good as the 1905fp. Then I realized the 1905fp was a pva panel and the 1907fp is a tn panel and that's why. I knew something was different.

Before getting the 2408 I almost got the asus 24" but I decided to fork over the extra 200 for the pva panel and I'm glad I did.

Hey Dymlos, could you take some pictures of your Dell side by side with the CRT with them displaying the same images? I'm planning on getting one and wanna see what the wide gamut looks like.

I *could* do this, but the monitors aren't flat, side-by-side, they're kind of angled like in a corner, so it really wouldn't do it justice to take a shot either aiming directly at one or the other, or even aiming between them, I'd be glad to show them with the same image in separate shots though. I'll have the LCD set to default 1920 x 1200, and the CRT set to my typical use: 1600 x 1200. brb with some pics, I'll try to choose images that very obviously display certain colors.

Better yet, I think it would be most beneficial to you, if you could post the pictures that you want me to use, as this will help you to have a basis for what they look like. So if you could link me to some pics to use, or post copies of them somewhere, I think that would be best.

After messing around real quick, I don't think I'm going to be able to get you any useful shots, here's why:

1) I can't fully control the lighting in my room (while minor, there is a window in the room w/ the blinds down, but the sun is up). It may not be changing much at all, but who knows.

2) Likewise, even if I turn some lamps on in here, I can't be sure of the angles that they'll affect the screens, perhaps in a biased way.

3) Lastly, my camera, while totally cool, is by no means a D-SLR or better camera. So without the flash, most of the pics look not so great. I don't have a nice tripod to mount it, so allowing longer exposure would just create blur. With the flash, I get reflections on the screens.

Not to mention the sites I know of tend to have file size / upload limitations, so the shots you'd get would be truncated.

Anyone know of a better solution?

What do you think of the calibration without any hardware? Is it possible to get the monitor to be decently calibrated without hardware?

I really don't know what to look for especially, regarding calibration (I assume you mean color). It looks good on factory default settings to me, but I don't have any tools to measure this with, other than to compare it to my CRT. It looks a helluva lot better than my older ViewSonic LCD (VX922b).

What do you think of the calibration without any hardware? Is it possible to get the monitor to be decently calibrated without hardware?

It may be easy to get a monitor to look "decent" according your eyes without hardware calibration but its probably not going to be accurate--as in what you see on your screen will likely look a bit different in print.

I have a unrevised 2408WFP that I purchased from dell.com when it first became available in January. How would I go about getting an A02 ? I hear that it is just a firmware upgrade, but it isn't user upgradable, so you have to send your entire monitor in? Does dell even do this for free?

Thanks for answer to my previous question. I've got one more:

Is A02 revision any better in terms of minimum brightness?

I've read that even on 0 the monitos is still quite bright. I often work in the dark/with light dimmed and if the monitor is too bright, my eyes get tired quickly.

Did anything change in this respect between the revisions?

Well I just received one of these from Dell today and it was a revision A02 monitor. I have not removed it from the box yet. I was hoping to get a revision A03 like bwire66 who reviewed it on the dell reviews page for this monitor.

http://reviews.dell.com/2341/320-6272/reviews.htm

I don't remember the thread but the a02 should have input lag comparable to the 2005fpw that I have been using.

Guys! Can you comment on my brightness question! The sale at Dell lasts only until 15th so I'd be really grateful if you could give me some info before then!

Thanks!

Well I just received one of these from Dell today and it was a revision A02 monitor. I have not removed it from the box yet. I was hoping to get a revision A03 like bwire66 who reviewed it on the dell reviews page for this monitor.

http://reviews.dell.com/2341/320-6272/reviews.htm

I don't remember the thread but the a02 should have input lag comparable to the 2005fpw that I have been using.

All right, don't feel bad, there is no A03 revision as of yet. This guy's smokin` some crack. I've Google'd my ass off and have yet to see anything about an A03 except people mis-posting/in error.

-----------------------------------

NOW LOSTMAN! You are not forgotten, and I feel your pain, I am messing with the brightness right now, to try and tell you how I feel:

I'm still using the monitor on default 50/100 brightness 50/100 contrast, and while it is bright, I like this. I moved the slider down to 0/100 and feel that it is more than dim enough for my tastes, mind you, I'm used to a reasonably bright CRT: The ViewSonic E90f+SB (featuring UltraBrite).

I also tried moving the contrast to 0, in addition to 0 brightness, and the screen goes totally black if I do that. I would imagine this would allow for a plenty dim screen if you want it.

I'd try to get some other comments, but honestly, if this thing isn't dim enough for you, maybe you need to sit further back? Or download some dark themes/skins for your applications.

Please let me know if I can aid you further.

All right, don't feel bad, there is no A03 revision as of yet. This guy's smokin` some crack. I've Google'd my ass off and have yet to see anything about an A03 except people mis-posting/in error.

No crack - just a simple mistake. I mistakenly stated I got an Rev A03 but it is an A02.

I'm really conflicted. This display has just about everything I'd want except for the input lag issue. And it doesn't help that it's pricey. But $412 is a lot easier to swallow than $549 retail. Hmmm.

Dymlos, thanks! It's just I can't get the Prad.de review out of my mind when they say the screen is really, really bright. And lots of people write that at factory settings (brightness 50) it is so blazingly bright that it can burn your eyes out ;-)

Dymlos, thanks! It's just I can't get the Prad.de review out of my mind when they say the screen is really, really bright. And lots of people write that at factory settings (brightness 50) it is so blazingly bright that it can burn your eyes out ;-)

I understand, well, not only do the brightness and contrast bars go from 0 to 100, but they move in increments of 3's for each #, i.e. 3 clicks on the + sign moves it from 50 to 51.

I'm really conflicted. This display has just about everything I'd want except for the input lag issue. And it doesn't help that it's pricey. But $412 is a lot easier to swallow than $549 retail. Hmmm.

Man, I was conflicted for about a year before I finally chose this monitor. My budget was <$600 (after tax/shipping/etc., and preferably lower).

And likewise, it has EVERYTHING I wanted it except the input lag. The big problem is the bulk of reviews are old, and don't reflect the current revision A02 input lag. I know it's also hard to take one random poster's word for it, but I really did test what I posted earlier.

Still, if you really are all about very fast, online, competitive gaming, you can't go with this monitor as a primary. Even with the current ~31ms average input lag being much lower than original reviews (i.e. www.behardware.com rated it at ~69ms), it's still there. I know if I were gaming, that fraction of a second taken away from my first-strike opportunities, regardless of how small is still a disadvantage.

That being said, most gamers who aren't crazy-competitive don't even notice the input lag, or, like me, notice it, but don't feel that it affects their ability to play and have fun.

With the Rev A02 2408 that I just picked up for just under $400 after the AAA discount, I notice no lag at all when compared to my 2407WFP Rev A04. Its the same monitor only the colors look WAY better. I am now depressed since I thought I would finally have "matching" monitors yet the 2407's colors are so different thus the monitors only really match in physical size.

I also thought mine was broken when I first turned it on because the 1 2 3 4 5 display indicator light was not telling me which display I was using, then I looked closer to see that it wasnt even there! Guess they removed it with this model, shame it was nice (I have a device plugged into everything but display port).

Last edited:
Ordered one of these from the latest promo and it arrived a couple days ago. So far its been a great monitor (Upgraded from a Dell 2001FP). Anyone have a good site to go to for doing some basic calibration stuff until I can get a hold of a hardware cailbrator?

Anyone know why windows 7 will not let me set the monitor to 60hz? Actually I set it to 60hz and press apply / okay, but if I go back into the menu I notice it has reverted back to 59. I also installed the drivers from windows update and tried setting it in both the nvidia control panel and the windows monitor driver panel.

Does 1hz really make any difference at all really? I didnt think it would so it doesnt bother me at all.

I received an A02 today as a replacement for my A00. When I use something like Dead Pixel Buddy to display all white, I still see some slight pink on the sides, but not near as much as the A00. Also, the A00 had a slightly yellowish / reddish tint to the screen, while this A02 has a slight bluish tint. I like it.

I noticed the 59Hz thing too in Windows 7. Windows Vista Ultimate x64 and Windows 7 RC x64 refuse to keep my Dell monitors at 60Hz. They always revert back to 59Hz. My Sony LCD TV though is set to 60Hz and stays there.

I received an A02 today as a replacement for my A00. When I use something like Dead Pixel Buddy to display all white, I still see some slight pink on the sides, but not near as much as the A00. Also, the A00 had a slightly yellowish / reddish tint to the screen, while this A02 has a slight bluish tint. I like it.

I noticed the 59Hz thing too in Windows 7. Windows Vista Ultimate x64 and Windows 7 RC x64 refuse to keep my Dell monitors at 60Hz. They always revert back to 59Hz. My Sony LCD TV though is set to 60Hz and stays there.

Weird. I just googled 59hz, and it looks like all sorts of people are having trouble on different versions of Windows Vista and 7, with monitors only displaying 59hz, in many cases, causing games to simply not work.

Thinking of pulling the trigger on this before the deal expires to replace my Acer H233H. Our campus uses the 2407WFP and I definitely miss the extra pixels when I do work at home.

My main question (this seems to be a common one) is would this be an upgrade or a downgrade for gaming?

Back