Dell Censors Panel lottery info. Share info here.

What's up with the Dell production of the 2007WFP? Their site says "call for pricing; 3-5 weeks delivery, ect." Is their any information regarding a continued S-IPS version, or is it history? I know that they are pushing the SP2008WFP bels and whistle model, but they are still listing the 2007WFP Ultrasharp. I'm down to one Dell P992 CRT and have been watching the ebay auctions going wacky on every Rev. model. Many sellers either don't know what they are selling or won't tell you the serials and other info, because "it's guaranteed new; it's packed up and ready to be shipped...and other excuses" I already distrust Dell and am ready to give up and go for an NEC or two. Frustrated Tomcaster69 P.S. Is it still possible to get one in Europe?

What's up with the Dell production of the 2007WFP? Their site says "call for pricing; 3-5 weeks delivery, ect." Is their any information regarding a continued S-IPS version, or is it history? I know that they are pushing the SP2008WFP bels and whistle model, but they are still listing the 2007WFP Ultrasharp. I'm down to one Dell P992 CRT and have been watching the ebay auctions going wacky on every Rev. model. Many sellers either don't know what they are selling or won't tell you the serials and other info, because "it's guaranteed new; it's packed up and ready to be shipped...and other excuses" I already distrust Dell and am ready to give up and go for an NEC or two. Frustrated Tomcaster69 P.S. Is it still possible to get one in Europe?

Discontinued. That's what happened :(. Get the NEC because the life of 2007wfp is over.

Discontinued. That's what happened :(. Get the NEC because the life of 2007wfp is over.

Hate to break it to you but i'm pretty sure the life of the NEC IPS is over too, going the same TN route as the Dell.

Hate to break it to you but i'm pretty sure the life of the NEC IPS is over too, going the same TN route as the Dell.

The 20WMGX2 is discontinued, but NEC continues to use S-IPS in its high end 90 series. You pretty much can't get IPS these days unless you are buying a pro monitor.

yeah but i thought the 90 series werent widescreen (or if they were they were less geared towards gaming and were eronously expensive).

For those who has the Dell 2007FP/WFP, do any of you have eye strain after staring at the screen for hours? I'm looking for a good monitor for reading and gaming, but i've had eye strain problems with most of them. I'm fine with most good quality CRTs, go figure, but i haven't tried any 8bit LCD for extensive periods of time yet.

Thanks in advance.

For those who has the Dell 2007FP/WFP, do any of you have eye strain after staring at the screen for hours? I'm looking for a good monitor for reading and gaming, but i've had eye strain problems with most of them. I'm fine with most good quality CRTs, go figure, but i haven't tried any 8bit LCD for extensive periods of time yet.

Thanks in advance.

I was surprised to discover the same thing with my first LCD. The two culprits tend to be Brightness (Most LCDs are too damn bright even when turned down to zero brightness) and for me: Horizontal viewing angle problems, which sort of cause a phony 3d effect which forces my eyes to strain more. Look for LCD's with lower brigthness scores and try them out if you can to see that the brightness control goes quite dimm. Getting the S-IPS version would help with the viewing angle problems.

I've found too that using LCD's in the dark makes the eye strain harsher. I mean, with the newer LCD's too they just keep upping the brightness like the max wasnt good enough quite some time ago.

although i noticed this most when i got my LCD television, and i couldnt stand the eye strain, i'm surprised so many people put up with it and i dont know if they'll ever fix it, or if the newer techs like SED or OLED wont have that issue. It's leading me towards getting a plasma now.

Can someone explain to me what the difference between the 2007FP and 2007FPb is? I googled around and didn't find anything at all.

Also a confirmation on what panel is inside this monitor would be great. There was only 1 person in the this thread who seemed to have a "b" version and the information didn't sound conclusive.

The panel I'm interested in has the following info:

2007FPb
Serial # -> MX-...-1H5L
Rev A05 (made in Mexico)
V1B22 <-- Left of the menu
HN210 <-- Right of the menu

I just got off the phone with Dell. Apparently the "b" model is no different than the normal one. The "b" states that it was purchased through the business dept.

Dell support also say every monitor they make is equal so... we know how good their word is. :D

Any feedback from people with "b"s would be appreciated.

I was surprised to discover the same thing with my first LCD. The two culprits tend to be Brightness (Most LCDs are too damn bright even when turned down to zero brightness) and for me: Horizontal viewing angle problems, which sort of cause a phony 3d effect which forces my eyes to strain more. Look for LCD's with lower brigthness scores and try them out if you can to see that the brightness control goes quite dimm. Getting the S-IPS version would help with the viewing angle problems.

I've found too that using LCD's in the dark makes the eye strain harsher. I mean, with the newer LCD's too they just keep upping the brightness like the max wasnt good enough quite some time ago.

although i noticed this most when i got my LCD television, and i couldnt stand the eye strain, i'm surprised so many people put up with it and i dont know if they'll ever fix it, or if the newer techs like SED or OLED wont have that issue. It's leading me towards getting a plasma now.

Thanks guys. I have the same problems with the viewing angles. The excessive luminosity couldn't be fixed by turning down the brightness either. Perhaps manufacturers are trying to hide backlight bleeding and poor contrasts with most of the mainstream LCD's, so that a better painel could fix most of the issues to a certain degree i would be ok with it, not sure.

I would like to try the Dell LCD before buying it but no chance, so it would be nice to hear from those who stays for long periods of time in front of it.

Apparently it is not discontinued.

check this link:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=04&sku=320-4688

or search for

320-4688.

I thought they were discontinued as well and ended up buying another one on e-bay yesterday. Hope it is an "S-IPS"

Also this just showed up on e-bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DELL-ULTRASHARP...ryZ86706QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Any info if these are S-IPS? They come with the speaker bar as well and a pretty good price for new.

rtheb

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi I'm new to this forum and this thread is the reason I wanted to try my luck with a 2007wfp. Well I did, and I don't know if I have good or bad luck. Please help me decide.

Here's the situation:
Monitor: A refurb from ebay and it sports an S-IPS panel (RT803, Made in Mexico in June 07 with L as the last letter in its serial #, Rev A04).
Source of signal: Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop which has a ATI Mobility Radeon x300 graphic card

Although just an entry graphic card, the X300 does support the 2007wfp's native resolution. However, after hooking up my laptop with the monitor I found that both the text and the pictures have ghost shadow, or fuzziness, to their right. No matter how I tweaked the OSD, the fuzziness never disappeared. I contacted the ebay store to inquire about my concern as well as the non-factory accessories, and their reply was that because the VGA cable supplied with my monitor is wrong, the fuzziness is there.

So, my question is, are they right? Isn't a VGA cable just a VGA cable? Or is the problem from my old graphic card? Can I get rid of this problem if I use a better graphic card which has DVI output?

Thanks in advance!

I have another computer at home but unfortunately it's a dinosaur. The other computers I have access to are probably the same age of my laptop, but I'll see what image and text quality I can get from them tomorrow morning.

After comparing the VGA cable on my friend's computer and the one shipped with my 2007wfp, to my surprise I found there's one pin missing (the 2nd pin from the left in the middle row if the trapezoid's shorter side is up). Could this be the cause?:confused:

I am attempting to purchase a 2007WFP from Dell and have run into a troublesome problem. To make a long story short, the 2007WFP (Dell Part# 320-4688) can no longer be purchased through the "Home and Home Office" section. It does not show up in the 20 inch widescreen monitor listings.

Attempting to purchase a 2007WFP over the phone via the home section, supplying the proper part number (320-4688) DOES NOT HELP! The part number will AUTOMATICALLY be "downgraded" to the 2007FP (320-4687) WITHOUT ANY NOTIFICATION! The sales rep will not be given any clear indication that this has happened!

Now, to order a 2007WFP you must go to the "Small & Medium Business" section. Ordering online you will see the monitor listed in your order confirmation as the 2007FPW (not the 2007WFP). I am awaiting the monitor to see if it contains an S-IPS or S-PVA panel.

This is not a joke. The sales rep was as baffled by all this as me. We walked through this together on our respective computers, going through the Dell web site, and simultaneously confirmed this extremely strange behavior. Bizarrely, the 320-4688 part number was listed with the 2007FP specs!!

Be forewarned! Because of this I "accidentally" ordered the 2007FP instead of the 2007WFP. It wasn't my fault, or the fault of the sales rep. It's their ordering system. I am being forced to accept this incorrect item and then immediately turn it around for a return.

To summarize, it appears that Dell has eliminated ordering the 2007WFP from the Home section (auto-downgrading the display to the 2007FP). However, it can still be ordered through the "Business" section (ultimately designated the 2007FPW).

I have run into this just today. I will keep you all posted as to the outcome.

IMHO The 2007FP is an upgrade not a downgrade. You get a larger screen (1600x1200 vs 1680x1050). The 2007FP has always cost more as well. But it is good to know that they are swapping it automatically.

Heh. Jmackay, I understand. On the other hand, for someone looking for a widescreen monitor (like me), it is a downgrade -- especially if it is done "unannounced". Also, right now the prices for the 2007FP and 2007WFP are virtually identical.

The bait-and-switch is unacceptable -- unless of course they switch to the 30 inch wide screen for the same price. :D

This thread has been a tremendous help to me in search of a monitor for my new system. I managed to find one on ebay with a serial number ending in "L" so hopefully it's S-IPS.

Guys

I sent a PM a while back to a member here who helped me out in terms of what to look for when trying to get an IPS panel in a used 2007WFP. The guy gave me all the info I need, but he mentioned that the instructions for accessing the service manual to check for RT-803 are given in this thread on pages 72-73. I checked those pages but couldn't find the instructions, and I have to go see one this weekend.

I've never handled one of these so could someone tell me how I go about accessing the service manual screen so that I can check for the RT-803 which should indicate S-IPS?

So far I know that I should look for an L at the end of the serial #, Rev A04, made in Mexico. Any further hints as to how to ensure I'm getting an S-IPS would be appreciated.

Thanks

Nik

Guys

I sent a PM a while back to a member here who helped me out in terms of what to look for when trying to get an IPS panel in a used 2007WFP. The guy gave me all the info I need, but he mentioned that the instructions for accessing the service manual to check for RT-803 are given in this thread on pages 72-73. I checked those pages but couldn't find the instructions, and I have to go see one this weekend.

I've never handled one of these so could someone tell me how I go about accessing the service manual screen so that I can check for the RT-803 which should indicate S-IPS?

So far I know that I should look for an L at the end of the serial #, Rev A04, made in Mexico. Any further hints as to how to ensure I'm getting an S-IPS would be appreciated.

Thanks

Nik

Try this suggestion from the OP:

2007 FP A03 - Panel Code UW473: S-PVA Samsung LTM201U1: Proof, someone disassembled )
2007 FP A03 - Panel Code HN210: S-IPS LG.Philips LM201U05: Suspected, process of elimination.

If you get an A03 Dell, share your Panel info from the service menu, so we can translate dells codes back into panel info. Especially if you are sure you know what type of panel you have, or even better you have taken it apart to confirm.

NOTE: If you have an older panel, the panel name is not obscured, it will directly tell you which panel you have.

To see the service menu(panel info on top line):

Turn off the monitor.
Hold down "menu" and the "+" while powering up the monitor.
When monitor is fully powered and the input graphic disappears: release "menu" and "+" then press the "-" button

Guys

Thanks

Nik

If it ends in L, its a S-IPS.
Follow the directions to check the panel code, if its RT803, its a S-IPS.
Look at a extreme left or right angle. If you see a purpleish color coming from the sides, this is another example of a S-IPS.

I'm looking for a decent 20" 4:3 S-IPS LCD, and it seems like the only two choices are the Dell 2007FP and the HP LP2065.

If I were to brave the panel lottery for either, does anyone know if it's still possible to get an S-IPS 2007FP in the US? Are there any stores that will actually guarantee that you won't get a PVA or let you return it if you do? From what I've read here, I'm not sure if Dell will take it back if you're just unhappy with the PVA, or that they won't send you a refurbed monitor back if you return it for a replacement.

I recently got a 2007fp but i notice a hissing sound that i think comes from the power converter box inside the monitor , is this normal for you 2007fp and fpw users ?

My 2007WFP has hissing coming from the back. I think all LCD's have some sort of hissing. You can only here mine if you stick your ear right next to it.

I am considering buying a 2007FP on eBay, but just found out that the Dell part number is 0HF730 and the Serial Number is MX-0HF730-...-4CJK. I don't recognize the part number, nor have I ever heard of a serial number for these ending in anything but S or L. Help? I'd like to know what kind of panel this is. Thanks.

i got one manufactured in Jan 2008 and it's a S-IPS!!!!! whohooo!!!!

Any noticable flicker? What about any buzzing coming from the back vents? And under a complete white screen, is one side a little darker (like a shadow) coming from one edge?

Finally got mine- ends in an 'L', has the purple tint that indicates it's an S-IPS.

My impression: I'm somewhat surprised people have praised S-IPS this much. The purple tint on dark colors shows up at very shallow angles, I have to look at the screen dead on to avoid it. Secondly, there is a sort of odd banding on darker colors. It's not really evident on games and desktop usage, but in video, on darker screens, it makes video artifacts painfully visible.

I'll try to get a photo posted later that demonstrates it. As I said, for games, desktop usage, and very high quality video, it's almost unnoticable outside of image tests.

Finally got mine- ends in an 'L', has the purple tint that indicates it's an S-IPS.

My impression: I'm somewhat surprised people have praised S-IPS this much. The purple tint on dark colors shows up at very shallow angles, I have to look at the screen dead on to avoid it.
People don't praise S-IPS because it it perfect. It's because TN and PVA/MVA panels are so much worse. With TN/PVA, you can look at the screen "dead on" and still easily notice gamma shift. And I don't think the purple is as bad as gamma shift. It looks more like a diffused reflection.

People don't praise S-IPS because it it perfect. It's because TN and PVA/MVA panels are so much worse. With TN/PVA, you can look at the screen "dead on" and still easily notice gamma shift. And I don't think the purple is as bad as gamma shift. It looks more like a diffused reflection.

True. My complaint is mostly with the very noticable banding though- It's not as bad as the banding in the earlier models, but it's still present enough to significantly degrade image quality across the board, even when it's not easy to pick it out directly. Colors just look off all over the place because of it.
Basically, greys, especially dark greys, don't have anywhere near a smooth progression (most visible with gradients), and are slightly off-color. My laptop, which is a TN panel, has perfectly smooth gradients but they shift with viewing angle and have dithering. Even so, it still manages to look better than the off-color banding I'm seeing here. If I can't fix the banding, and from messing with numerous monitor and graphics card settings, I'm going to have to find something else, this is unacceptable in a monitor that's supposed to be accurate, when I don't see it in any other LCDs of significantly lower quality.

My dark grays look good on both my 2007WFP and 2005WFP.
The panel will look best at 50% brightness, Color set to PC Normal, and Desktop Mode.
Maybe there is a problem with your panel?

Back