Dell Censors Panel lottery info. Share info here.

True. My complaint is mostly with the very noticable banding though- It's not as bad as the banding in the earlier models, but it's still present enough to significantly degrade image quality across the board, even when it's not easy to pick it out directly. Colors just look off all over the place because of it.
Basically, greys, especially dark greys, don't have anywhere near a smooth progression (most visible with gradients), and are slightly off-color. My laptop, which is a TN panel, has perfectly smooth gradients but they shift with viewing angle and have dithering. Even so, it still manages to look better than the off-color banding I'm seeing here. If I can't fix the banding, and from messing with numerous monitor and graphics card settings, I'm going to have to find something else, this is unacceptable in a monitor that's supposed to be accurate, when I don't see it in any other LCDs of significantly lower quality.

I think I know what you mean. For instance, on my 2007WFP S-IPS, when looking at HF forum main menu, it seems that in the middle the greys look brighter than on the right of the screen. Is this the banding issue you are referring too?

I think I know what you mean. For instance, on my 2007WFP S-IPS, when looking at HF forum main menu, it seems that in the middle the greys look brighter than on the right of the screen. Is this the banding issue you are referring too?

No, that's not it. I'm beginning to think it's a defective panel. The dark greys band in a way that makes them seem tinted dark green instead of true grey. I don't have a working camera at the moment, or I'd take a picture.

And yes, the image does look best at 50% brightness, normal color, etc, but the issue is still present in all modes, at all settings.

I decided to call Dell yesterday and get a replacement because my 2007WFP A03 had flicker on a lot of gray background. For example, when I go to www.ign.com, and scroll down, both sides start to flicker really bad. I also had 3 pixels that what seemed to be white stuck sub pixels. They had a greyish sorta color when viewed head on.I got my replacement today, its a A04 S-IPS. In came in a box saying "Refurbished", but I think this way be a brand new monitor because it is in perfect condition and came with the cables and such. Unfortunately, the flicker I experienced is still there( I have brightness at 50% and everything else on default). I also noticed another one of these white stuck subpixels. This would be my 3rd 2007WFP that has had flickering and stuck white pixels. I think I'm going to look at a different 20".

Just got my 2007WFP. It's a rev A04 S-IPS with no dead pixels that I've noted so far. It does flicker noticeably on gray and some other colors, though. The CRT I have sitting next to it actually seems to be producing a stabler image on my desktop. :rolleyes:

Not sure if I'm going to keep it yet.

Hi there

I just received my 2007WFP which I ordered from dell.ch (Switzerland).
It's a revision A04 made in the Czech Republic, S/N ends with an "L".
It says V1B22 RT803 in the service menu, so it seems to be an S-IPS panel :)

Also, with the colour settings "PC Mode / PC Normal" (though I have a mac ;)) and the display mode set to "Desktop", I didn't notice any banding or flicker issues.

Thought I'd share the info...

Cheers, Roland

The 2007FPW is going for $369 with free shipping on the Dell site. Is there any way to tell if this is the S-IPS (LG.Philips) model before you buy it?

The 2007FPW is going for $369 with free shipping on the Dell site. Is there any way to tell if this is the S-IPS (LG.Philips) model before you buy it?

Chances are high that you will get a S-IPS. Three of my replacements with manufacture dates of Jan 2008 or higher have all been S-IPS.

I know this question has been asked but i am asking again, is the 2007WFP a really good gaming monitor? I ask because i am a hardcore gamer, meaning i play games a lot and i really want to make sure that what i am getting will not be a problem when i play games. I know that dell lists this as a 16ms response time and i was appalled by that, but it seems you wonderful people here at the hardforums have changed my mind on it a lot. Can any heavy gamer like me confirm that thee isnt crazy ghosting, especially when playing twitch games like TF2 and Half life, etc...?

I know this question has been asked but i am asking again, is the 2007WFP a really good gaming monitor? I ask because i am a hardcore gamer, meaning i play games a lot and i really want to make sure that what i am getting will not be a problem when i play games. I know that dell lists this as a 16ms response time and i was appalled by that, but it seems you wonderful people here at the hardforums have changed my mind on it a lot. Can any heavy gamer like me confirm that thee isnt crazy ghosting, especially when playing twitch games like TF2 and Half life, etc...?

Funny you mention that, I just got done playing CSS. I can tell you that I have not noticed any ghosting or input lag at all. Even racing games such as Forza 2 are smooth.

The 16ms is either wrong, or extremely conservative and everyone else is lying.

I haven't seen any ghosting with it and I've had mine for months. Its a great monitor and I'd recommend it for a gaming LCD if you want high quality colors as well. If you don't care about color accuracy, go with a cheaper/larger "gaming" monitor.

Thanks to both Mackay and coolguy for stepping up and answering, i really do appreciate not being flammed to death for asking probably a dumb question. As far as going with a *gaming monitor* aka TN monitors, you guys have done a good job of scaring me off those for life. I will say that it made me take like a good solid 5 hours straight just looking at all kinds of monitors and getting really frustrated, until i found this thread!

If you're concerned about gaming, just my 2 cents, but my wife just bought me a 2007WFP for my birthday and I have to say it is excellent.
I play mainly CS:S and I've noticed no ghosting so far and the colors looks excellent. I was a bit nervous coming from a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro CRT but so far no complaints.
FYI, It's a revision 4, made in Mexico, IPS (RT803) panel.

Not to digress from the post, but if I recall, the price of the Dell UltraSharp 2007WFP was around $330 on their site, it's now listed at $399. Unless I wanted to see $330 and it's always been $399.

I've read nearly the whole thread (pfffff!), so know everything i can know about the Dell Lottery. Because of this i've asked a local reseller about the serial numbers, and he gave me the following numbers:

CZ-0MY546-74263-7CC-1EUS
CZ-0MY546-74263-7CC-1ETS
CZ-0MY546-74263-7CC-1F5S
CZ-0MY546-74263-7CC-22TS
CZ-0MY546-74263-7CC-2255

The fisrt 4 ended with an "S" so these monitors include the S-PVA panel made by Samsung. But what about the last one ended with a simple number? No "L", no "S", but "5". Anybody know what does this mean? I'd like to get a 2007FP monitor S-IPS panel and don't see any other possibility but the above list which i can choose from. In the shop it's not allowed to open, to test, to check the service menu. I must pay, then go home and see what's inside the box. So i must sure about the panel type before buying it, and as i know the only way is the serial number.

So what does the CZ-0MY546-74263-7CC-2255 model contains?

Thanks in advance!

Hello out there!

Just wanted to thank the folks involved in this thread -- just picked up a "new" (1 hour 40 minutes used in service menu?? Hmmmmmm) Dell 2007WFP on Friday and it is running strong with no issues that I can see and an LG S-IPS panel in the frame!

:cool:

Just wanted to check, I received my 2007FP, assembled in Mexico, serial ending in L, revision A05, service panel numbers are V1B22 and HN210 - is that the same HN210 that the OP refers to as S-IPS?

It seems to have that slight purple hue barely visible at the edge when I go far horizontally with the viewing angle.

Hi,

I'd like to let everyone know that I purchased a 2007wfp about a month ago and received a S-IPS panel. The serial number ends with a "L".

The easiest way to tell if you have a S-IPS panel is to look at your screen with a black ground. If you see a purpleish tint, then you have a S-IPS panel.

Hi,

I'd like to let everyone know that I purchased a 2007wfp about a month ago and received a S-IPS panel. The serial number ends with a "L".

The easiest way to tell if you have a S-IPS panel is to look at your screen with a black ground. If you see a purpleish tint, then you have a S-IPS panel.

Actually, it's easier to just check the serial. If it ends in "L" its a guranteed S-IPS :).

A couple questions:
Say I do get a PVA panel, is it worth sending it back to try and get an IPS panel?
Also, the monitor seems to be removed from Dell's main site, where is a good place to buy them?

A couple questions:
Say I do get a PVA panel, is it worth sending it back to try and get an IPS panel?
Also, the monitor seems to be removed from Dell's main site, where is a good place to buy them?

Try ebay, some people sell brand new one's. Although it might be a hard time getting the Dell order number for warranty status.

In summer of 06 I brought, or received as a gift, a 2007wfp. I orginally had an S-IPS. The next july I had some huge back light bleed issues and exchanged it for a new one. A PVA one. Last week the buttons on my PVA screen where not funcitioning properly so I jumped on the chance to get an S-IPS monitor. I exchanged it and 2 days later lucky me, I recieved an S-IPS monitor!.

Just purchased 2 2007FPs straight from Dell, both are A05 revisions with LG S-IPS panels. Beautiful! Even in portrait mode - which is how I keep them since I don't game any. These replaced 2 2208WFPs TN's which were terrible in the portrait mode comparatively. Also, going from 1680x1050 to 1600x1200 didn't seem like such a loss :)

This just a guess but now (in August of 08) with VA panel makers ramping up production of large widescreen panels, Dell might be forced to purchase these LG S-IPS panels for the 2007FP instead of the Samsung ones.

So if you're in the market for 1600x1200 20", maybe consider the Dell since the A05 revisions might be less of a panel lotto than previous revisions. Though the current price of $399 seems comparable to similar monitors at the egg, it seems to fly in the face of reason against $250 24" WS TN panels :)

IMG_2848-small.jpg

hi,
is it possible to guess from these codes if this is an IPS or PVA? (without opening the package -))

The serial number reveals who manufactures your panel look at the last character it should be a letter:

"S" for Samsung (PVA in 2007 series).
"L" for LG (S-IPS in 2007 series).

Looks as if you have the Samsung S-PVA.

Just got one off ebay, brand new A05 with IPS panel and 25% cash back. Looks better than my refurb NEC 2090 imho. :)

Sorry if this has been answered before, but are all 2007FPs coming with S-IPS panels?

No. Didn't you see the post just before this one saying:

Looks as if you have the Samsung S-PVA.

For a while a lot of IPS came out so someone called Dell and claimed he was told no more PVA. Right after that someone ordered 2 and got 2 PVAs. The don't call it a lottery for nothing.

IMO it will be over when Dell stops selling the 2007FP.

Due to some RMA problems I've gotten 3 2007fp's in the last few days. All 3 were A05 HN210 panels.

Got my 2007FP with zero defective pixel. :) It's a A05 HN210 panel as seen from OSD. S/N also ends with a L. From the back label, it's manufactured in China last month (Dec 2008).

I am very satisfied, especially it's low price, HKD2488 => USD320!

There was a discussion of Dell panel lottery over on Dell support boards, but they got censored to bits.

The gist of the info, Dell often starts out with S-IPS panels and then later (after reviews) quietly switches over to cheaper PVA panels. After the second panel is introduced, they seem to put in whatever they get cheaper that month.

Some history:

Dell released the 2001fp with S-IPS, by the end switched to PVA.
Dell released the 2007fp with S-IPS, then soon switched to PVA.
Dell released the 2007wfp with S-IPS. They are just now switching to PVA (PVAs seen in Austrailia, Asia and North America.).
Also on the 1907, the panels were consistently TN but different manufacturers.

Starting with the A03 release Dell has started to obscure the Panel information. This seems to be thier solution to panel lottery complaints. Hide the panel information. A list of new Dell panel codes was starting to be compiled when they were removed:

2007 WFP A03 - Panel code RT803: S-IPS LG.Philips LM201W01: - Overwhelming evidence)
2007 WFP A03 - Panel code PM330: S-PVA Samsung LTM201M1: Strong evidence)
2007 FP A03 - Panel Code UW473: S-PVA Samsung LTM201U1: Proof, someone disassembled )
2007 FP A03 - Panel Code HN210: S-IPS LG.Philips LM201U05: Suspected, process of elimination.

If you get an A03 Dell, share your Panel info from the service menu, so we can translate dells codes back into panel info. Especially if you are sure you know what type of panel you have, or even better you have taken it apart to confirm. :)

NOTE: If you have an older panel, the panel name is not obscured, it will directly tell you which panel you have.

To see the service menu(panel info on top line):

Turn off the monitor.
Hold down "menu" and the "+" while powering up the monitor.
When monitor is fully powered and the input graphic disappears: release "menu" and "+" then press the "-" button

It appears that not so many hoops are needed. The serial number reveals who manufactures your panel look at the last character it should be a letter:

My returned Dell 2007fp with Samsung PVA ended in "S".

Does this info also apply to the 2001FP? I just got one and went to the hidden "factory menu" but didn't find any info regarding the panel manufacturer. However, the serial number at the back of the monitor does end in an "L" though. I can also see purple hues on a black background when looking at the screen from an angle. Does this confirm my panel is an S-IPS panel (i.e. LG.Philips LM201U04)?

I just boxed up my Dell 2007 WFP and put it next to my boxed 20" Apple Cinema Display in storage.

Great Monitor that I just replaced with the new Dell 2209 WA.

Why don't you sell them? :confused:

Hardware in storage loses it's value pretty fast while it gives you nothing. Better get some silver or gold for it :+

My current Dell TN Samsung ends in "S".
My returned Dell 2007fp with Samsung PVA ended in "S".

What does U stand for?

RE: 2007LP: I keep reading that if the serial number ends with an '"L" it is an S-ISP panel so I called Dell and would have ordered but the agent could not guarantee that I would receive the monitor with the S-ISP panel. She tried but she doesn't have control.

I tried ordering at other locations and ran into the same problem. So last week I went back to Dell and Dell had the 2007FP on special for $309 plus tax with free shipping, a $70 discount.

That was too good to pass up so I ordered. The person I was chatting with also tried but could not guarantee that I would receive the S-ISP panel. However, I asked the agent to add a note on the order for the warehouse so she added. "Please select a serial number ending with L for the S-ISP panel. Customer request"

She told me she couldn't guarantee that the warehoused would select that monitor.

Today I received the monitor. I have not unpacked it yet. However, The serial number on the box is MX-0G324H-74262-96B-2M0L, REV A05. So I suppose that means I got the S-ISP panel.

I am getting my 2007fp from Dell storefront today, not the outlet. I shall see what lottery panel I get.

I did not win a the lottery. I just got a refurb 2007fp from Dell(not the outlet) and its a serial ending in "S" and a Rev A03.

Monitor looks fine and I have set the brightness to 50% only.

Boooo right?

I did not win a the lottery. I just got a refurb 2007fp from Dell(not the outlet) and its a serial ending in "S" and a Rev A03.

Monitor looks fine and I have set the brightness to 50% only.

Boooo right?

Some people prefer PVA to IPS so if you like the panel keep it. Whatever works for you.

Back