Dell U2410

hrtf (head related transfer function?):
Have you confirmed that the lag is lower when you switch to sRGB without choosing OK? Can you compare response time with and without the confirmation?

hrtf (head related transfer function?):
Have you confirmed that the lag is lower when you switch to sRGB without choosing OK? Can you compare response time with and without the confirmation?

Head related transfer function indeed. :D

I have no figures about the response times and since I have no CRT at hand I can't measure the input lag reliably. What I can say, though, is that this "game sRGB mode" feels like the normal Game mode. I'm no heavy gamer but I notice the input lag difference between the Game mode and sRGB mode for example in Mass Effect 2. And indeed when choosing the sRGB mode and not confirming it, the input lag feels the same as in Game mode (which is negligible).
This is something I noticed some time ago but just recently examined further when another user in another forum discovered it also.
I normally use the sRGB mode when gaming since I want the correct colors. Now I think I'll be using this method when gaming, unless I run into problems using it.

^Similar situation here. Ordered two--the other one arrives tomorrow with the soundbar I ordered too. I was decideding between the U2410s or going with the cheaper HP ZR24w and decided that since I had a great experience with the 2209WA I would stick with Dell. So far this monitor looks great. No dead pixels. I do not notice any tinting issues. Hopefully when the second gets here I will have similar luck. I find the settings with the preset at sRGB, 30 bright, and 50 contrast to be perfect for me.

All I can say is WOW. Even uncalibrated these are so much nicer than the 2405FPW. I went through the calibration with Spyder3Elite 4.0 and it was really close. The blacks are incredible and everything else is so sharp. I am very happy.

Dead on at 120 cd/m
Brightness: 10
Contrast: 52
sRGB

Hey guys, check this out:

I was getting a headache every time I used my new U2410. My eyes were killing me. Seriously, they hurt. I tried different brightness and contrast settings, but it still gave me a headache. I actually thought about calling Dell to ask about sending it back. Well, two minutes ago I decided to look through ALL the settings in the menu, and guess what? My Preset Mode was on Standard. I don't know how, since the first thing I did was set it to sRGB on day one, but ??

Anyway, I just changed it to sRGB and it looks better already. My eyes still hurt so it might take a while before I can be sure, but I think the sRGB setting should help with the eyestrain and headaches (I hope! :)).

I also noticed the Sharpness setting, which I hadn't seen before. What number are you guys using for Sharpness?

Thanks...

I was getting a headache every time I used my new U2410. My eyes were killing me. Seriously, they hurt. I tried different brightness and contrast settings, but it still gave me a headache. I actually thought about calling Dell to ask about sending it back. Well, two minutes ago I decided to look through ALL the settings in the menu, and guess what? My Preset Mode was on Standard. I don't know how, since the first thing I did was set it to sRGB on day one, but ??

Anyway, I just changed it to sRGB and it looks better already. My eyes still hurt so it might take a while before I can be sure, but I think the sRGB setting should help with the eyestrain and headaches (I hope! :)).

I also noticed the Sharpness setting, which I hadn't seen before. What number are you guys using for Sharpness?

Thanks...

What connection are you using? What is your brightness set at? How dark (or light) is the room you use this LCD in?

Thanks...

I know a couple of people who got headaches only when using IPS screens. They claimed it was the antiglare coating that made it hard for their eyes to focus.

I know a couple of people who got headaches only when using IPS screens. They claimed it was the antiglare coating that made it hard for their eyes to focus.
Well, I used to own another IPS monitor (Dell 2005FWP) but didn't have this problem, so ??

What connection are you using? What is your brightness set at? How dark (or light) is the room you use this LCD in?
Connection is HDMI from laptop to DVI of monitor (using a Monoprice HDMI-DVI adapter).

Brightness is now set at 25, but it was on 30 up until about an hour ago.

Contrast is at 50, Sharpness is at 50.

The room is VERY light/bright during the day (lots of big windows) which is mostly when I use it.

Any thoughts or suggestions??

I have seen people that have issues with LCDs when the resolution is not set right. Are you getting 1920x1200 or 1920x1080 on the screen?

I have no figures about the response times and since I have no CRT at hand I can't measure the input lag reliably. What I can say, though, is that this "game sRGB mode" feels like the normal Game mode. I'm no heavy gamer but I notice the input lag difference between the Game mode and sRGB mode for example in Mass Effect 2. And indeed when choosing the sRGB mode and not confirming it, the input lag feels the same as in Game mode (which is negligible).
This is something I noticed some time ago but just recently examined further when another user in another forum discovered it also.
I normally use the sRGB mode when gaming since I want the correct colors. Now I think I'll be using this method when gaming, unless I run into problems using it.

I just tested this. the input lag doesn't change :), Game mode with good colors!

Only change the sharpness if you deliberately want to make content look more or less sharp.. The default sharpness of 50 always produces the best results, in terms of overall image quality, so it's best to leave it alone normally.

Any eye strain is probably caused by the back light, so it'd be best if you can set the brightness as close to 0 as possible, and keep the contrast as low as you can. When an LCD is new the light is very bright and may well induce eyestrain in someone who's been used to using a screen with a back light which has several years of wear on it. The initial brightness will fade over time. If you want to speed up this process simply leave the screen powered on.

Another thing you can do to help eyestrain is use the Microsoft Magnifier, turn its zoom feature off, then turn on colour inversion. If you're looking at a lot of white type backgrounds you can invert them to be black. Obviously not a great solution, but it can help depending on what you're doing. OSX has a shortcut key to do the same thing IIRC.

I just tested this. the input lag doesn't change :), Game mode with good colors!

Yep. Haven't measured things either, but it appears to work. I always noticed that you can switch modes without pressing confirm, but I didn't think about the fact that, when you do this in Game Mode, it doesn't black the screen out for a second when you don't confirm. So, whatever settings are applied in Game Mode (Perhaps related to Overdrive etc) they are retained when you switch to another mode whilst in Game Mode, as long as you don't confirm changing modes (in which case it blacks the screen out for a second and changes mode properly). Pretty good news for gamers - now you have the best of both worlds - a way to avoid wide gamut issues on the U2410, and keep lower input lag :)

I just got two of the U2410 monitors, and the colors are slightly different on them. I can't tell which one is more accurate and which one is more washed out or has a tint. Is this a normal situation? And is there any possibility that the hues or saturation is just a tiny bit off and could be fixed by getting one of the calibrating tools? It would be nice if I could determine via a calibrator if the monitor is good or not.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I'm fairly disappointed with the viewing angles on the U2410 -- especially the vertical viewing angles. As I stand up I can see sort of a dark gray "bar" moving up the screen. It's buggin' me. My wife has a 20" Dell IPS monitor that has MUCH better viewing angles, so I know it can be better.

1. Anyone know if a different U2410 might be better (if I exchanged this one) or are they all the same when it comes to viewing angles?

2. For those that have seen a 2209WA... does it have better viewing angles than the U2410, or are they the same as the U2410?

Thanks!

I know what you're talking about, but I don't understand why it bothers you. Do you use your monitor standing up? It only happens beyond 40 degrees vertical.

All the newer H-IPS panels do this for some reason. I'm not sure why. The 2209WA doesn't do that but the NEC EA231WMi does.

Unless they changed something recently, the 2209WA definitely doesn't do that. It's one of the things I noticed when comparing the 2209WA and the NEC EA231WMi.

Anyone seeing rather noticeable banding? Seems to be present in every color preset over DVI from both my gaming box and MBP. Definitely wasn't there when I first got the monitor. Initially noticed it in the background gradient of new steam library and quickly verified by creating black-white gradients in photoshop.

Got myself a U2410 as well, glad that I don't have any problem with it and it seems sRGB works best for me.

Anyone seeing rather noticeable banding? Seems to be present in every color preset over DVI from both my gaming box and MBP. Definitely wasn't there when I first got the monitor. Initially noticed it in the background gradient of new steam library and quickly verified by creating black-white gradients in photoshop.

Nope.. banding performance is excellent on the U2410 (at least in DVI mode). What might cause banding is if you calibrated the screen yourself or made adjustments in Custom Color mode? The other possibility is, if you installed the original Dell drivers, they come with an ICM profile which is automatically installed and will be used in certain colour managed apps like Windows Photo Viewer or Photoshop. The performance of the early version ICM files was poor, but the latest version (Still beta 3, afaik, which can be found here http://pages.suddenlink.net/downloaddell/Betav3.icm ) performs very well..

I just ordered the U2410 today. I was wondering are my chances good that I will get the Rev 01 of the monitor? And is their really a difference between the original one and the Rev 01?

I was wondering are my chances good that I will get the Rev 01 of the monitor?
By now all the A00's should be gone, so you should get an A01. If you don't the box has been sitting around in a warehouse for months.
And is their really a difference between the original one and the Rev 01?
Yes. The original A00 monitor produced a visible dither type pattern on dark sections of images which made images look "grainy" under the U2410's sRGB or Adobe modes. Whilst you can apply the A01 firmware update yourself, apparently all the update does is disable FRC dithering under the sRGB and Adobe modes to stop the dithered pattern appearing. So an A00 U2410 flashed to firmware A01 is still a hardware A00 screen.

Supposedly hardware revision A01 had actual hardware changes made specifically related to FRC dithering, which has been moved from the U2410's scaler in Rev A00 screens.. I'm not sure what the consequences of this "fix" is for A00 screens flashed to A01. There have been some reports of worse visual quality on analogue inputs (composite) when using the A01 firmware update on hardware A00 screens, but I use DVI and it definitely resulted in a noticeably improved picture quality here when in sRGB and Adobe modes. Perhaps someone would need to hook the screen up to a graphics card capable of true 10 bit output, and use the U2410 in its 10 bit emulated mode, to see any noticeable changes with regards to image quality and FRC dithering.. Since a hardware A00 flashed to firmware A01 supposedly disables FRC dither in sRGB/Adobe mode, it's (maybe) possible you'd see worse visual quality in those modes when running with a 10 bit colour capable graphics card. Maybe someone who owns a 10 bit graphics card and an A00 screen flashed to A01 could confirm? :)

Last edited:
I just got two of the U2410 monitors, and the colors are slightly different on them. I can't tell which one is more accurate and which one is more washed out or has a tint. Is this a normal situation? And is there any possibility that the hues or saturation is just a tiny bit off and could be fixed by getting one of the calibrating tools? It would be nice if I could determine via a calibrator if the monitor is good or not.

My 2x U2401s were really close out of the box but the Sypder3 brought them closer than I could ever get by my eyes alone. I highly recommend it. You'll wind up going around calibrating everything though. :p

What about the Sypder 3 express is that good enough? Its only $80 and I'd like some sort of calibration..

Nope.. banding performance is excellent on the U2410 (at least in DVI mode). What might cause banding is if you calibrated the screen yourself or made adjustments in Custom Color mode? The other possibility is, if you installed the original Dell drivers, they come with an ICM profile which is automatically installed and will be used in certain colour managed apps like Windows Photo Viewer or Photoshop. The performance of the early version ICM files was poor, but the latest version (Still beta 3, afaik, which can be found here http://pages.suddenlink.net/downloaddell/Betav3.icm ) performs very well..

Uncalibrated in both Windows and OS X. Not using custom colour mode and never installed the dell drivers. No colour profile in Windows and sRGB IEC611966-2.1 in OS X. Identical banding over both on dark greys approaching black.

Stackable 10% coupon + the 20% coupon for signing up for SB gets this down to $431.28. Lowest I've seen so I guess my mind is made up.

$1J56T82R58HBS (10%)

Uncalibrated in both Windows and OS X. Not using custom colour mode and never installed the dell drivers. No colour profile in Windows and sRGB IEC611966-2.1 in OS X. Identical banding over both on dark greys approaching black.
Apple, in its infinite wisdom, traditionally expected a gamma of 1.8 from screens when the rest of the technology world settled on a gamma of 2.2. Dell put an option in the U2410 menu to set the gamma mode to "Mac", which is 1.8. The only problem with that is Apple finally (after years) changed the gamma to 2.2 in the latest version of OSX.

My guess is that you've changed the Color Settings/Gamma menu option to Mac. Doing that will make it show incorrectly in both Windows and now the latest version of OSX, because it's expecting a setting of 2.2. You should always leave it set to "PC" unless using a much older Mac OS.

If that's not the problem then I don't know what to suggest, unless you've got a screen with the A00 firmware and are actually noticing the dither problem it has? Banding performance has been excellent on every U2410 I've seen, and even the very latest ICM file produces good banding results when it limits content to sRGB colours (which is impressive since the process actually involves removing several million colour values in order to emulate sRGB etc).

Gentlemen:
Just wanted to thank everyone who posted their experience with this monitor. It greatly helped me in making a decision.
Hope it gives the same great performance as my Viewsonic VP191b.
Scratch...

Bought 1 with the recent coupons. Now I'll have to sell the 2405FPW and buy another U2410 strictly because I'm anal about matching dual monitors.

Apple, in its infinite wisdom, traditionally expected a gamma of 1.8 from screens when the rest of the technology world settled on a gamma of 2.2. Dell put an option in the U2410 menu to set the gamma mode to "Mac", which is 1.8. The only problem with that is Apple finally (after years) changed the gamma to 2.2 in the latest version of OSX.

My guess is that you've changed the Color Settings/Gamma menu option to Mac. Doing that will make it show incorrectly in both Windows and now the latest version of OSX, because it's expecting a setting of 2.2. You should always leave it set to "PC" unless using a much older Mac OS.

If that's not the problem then I don't know what to suggest, unless you've got a screen with the A00 firmware and are actually noticing the dither problem it has? Banding performance has been excellent on every U2410 I've seen, and even the very latest ICM file produces good banding results when it limits content to sRGB colours (which is impressive since the process actually involves removing several million colour values in order to emulate sRGB etc).

Gamma is set to PC/2.2.

It is a A01 display - it looks distinctly like banding and not the dithering artifacts from A00. The banding seems to have developed over time as I checked everything over in great detail when I received it a few months ago.

Ugh really don't want to deal with the replacement game since all they'd send me is refurbs now and the display has no dead/stuck pixels or any of the common tinting.

Gamma is set to PC/2.2.

It is a A01 display - it looks distinctly like banding and not the dithering artifacts from A00. The banding seems to have developed over time as I checked everything over in great detail when I received it a few months ago.

Ugh really don't want to deal with the replacement game since all they'd send me is refurbs now and the display has no dead/stuck pixels or any of the common tinting.
Hmm. I assume you've checked all the other obvious stuff too, like the graphics card brightness/colour settings aren't messing with things, and its set to 32 bit quality etc?

It's very easy to get the U2410 to visibly band when you set any of the Hue controls in "Custom Color" mode much more than 1 or 2 steps above or below the default 50. Perhaps you could use that to your advantage by adjusting those to see what reduces banding, and that way you can actually maybe figure out where the screen's going wrong? EG not enough blue is being produced, or maybe too much green etc etc.

I'm not sure, once knowing that, if going into the factory menu and adjusting the colours could help rebalance things either. If you did go that far make sure you take a note of any settings before adjusting so you can set them back to those values if you're returning the screen to Dell.

Before going for a replacement I'd also try a different cable and input too.. EG if you're using DVI try using HDMI just to see if it makes any difference.

If opting for an exchange request a later pick up date for your current screen than the delivery date for the replacement. This way you are able to evaluate the replacement before returning your current screen. If the replacement is really bad you can simply refuse it. It'll also allow you to see whether the other screen has the same problem. If it does then I'd start to suspect something other than the U2410 being the cause. HTH :)

Back