Dell U2711

Just got off the phone with a bunch of people at dell. God they are idiots....

This monitor is most certainly out of stock even though you have to talk to 5 people and pressure them to say that.

The continued order dates that generated each week as delayed are not done with any accuracy and just random. They have no idea when this thing will be back.

They said it is too popular and they are waiting for them to restart production.

They said it is too popular and they are waiting for them to restart production.

Restart production means they stopped it for some reason. I have read that panels are made in production runs and they switch back and forth between panel types for different vendors. I am thinken that LG did not make enough panels in the first production run, then they switched resources to deal with the iMac issues and Dell got screwed in the process. Eyefinity does not help because people are ordering more than one panel each.

Dell never uses the term backordered. If your ship date gets moved back more than a couple days, then there is a production delay, which is the same thing.

It looks like Dell has an exclusive deal with LG for all of it's U series displays, so I really doubt a panel lottery, but this is why they happen.

Dave

Well I guess that means my u2711 isn't going to be showing up anytime soon :eek:

Interesting to see how the stock on ebay has dried up too....now the only seller with any left just jacked up the price 100 dollars.

Interesting to see how the stock on ebay has dried up too....now the only seller with any left just jacked up the price 100 dollars.

Yea, I'm guessing that the extra wait was enough to get people to change their mind and buy from ebay instead of dell.

Dell does not release furmware updates to the public for its monitors. It was a fluke that the a01 firmware for the u2410 got released into the wild.

yeah, even though it got out, i still cant find it anywhere. anyone here on the forums have the a01 firmware?

I guess I'm lucky I ordered early. I ordered my U2711 on Feb. 11 and it was shipped on Feb 12.
For people who find text too small, changing to the Cool Preset Profile in the OSD makes for a big improvement in the readability of small text.

Yea, I'm guessing that the extra wait was enough to get people to change their mind and buy from ebay instead of dell.

Hi all, I've actually been watching this thread for a while. I'm definitely interested in getting a U2711 but don't know if I should shell out the $1100 for it yet!

I've been fascinated with the eBay auctions since they've generally been $100-200 cheaper than Dell's retail price. Mostly because I'm suspicious of sellers' ability to stock those monitors -- where are they getting them from? Yet I'm very tempted, and looks like there isn't a shortage of buyers. So if it's not me, it'll be someone else!

I'm wondering when the U2711 will be back in stock and if there will ever be a coupon discount of some sort... :(

Man this is the toughest decision I made in my life regarding monitors!

What to buy? Ultrasharp u2711 or Ultrasharp u2410 rev a01.

I'm not up for playing the exchange game with Dell again because of dead pixel crap. It's a waste of my time & theirs even though it costs nothing to ship it back to them all the time.

Something that lasts 6+ years easy like my current 2005FPW S-IPS. :D

Last edited:
is it true that the U2711 is just marginaly bigger than the 2405fpw(16:10 1920*1200).
I saw a website for screen comparison and according to it small size difference.

If someone could please PM me incase I forget follow this thread.

I've been fascinated with the eBay auctions since they've generally been $100-200 cheaper than Dell's retail price. Mostly because I'm suspicious of sellers' ability to stock those monitors -- where are they getting them from? Yet I'm very tempted, and looks like there isn't a shortage of buyers. So if it's not me, it'll be someone else!

I bought one on ebay from PremierSalesman. It cost ~825 after the Bing Cashback and the eBay Bucks refund. Un.Be.Lievable price.
For starters:
The monitor is absolutely worth the money. I do not have a hardware calibrator but I am a pseudo-pro photographer (meaning I make enough money to pay for the camera toys but it isn't my primary income) and I am OCD about color quality. Straight out of the box, the sRGB preset is as good as I was ever able to do on any of my software/manually calibrated monitors before (last monitor was a 2407WFP IPS panel).

I'm using displayport from a 13.3 Macbook Pro running the display at 2560x1440. The sharpness and resolution is redonculous. Enough said.

The thing is also eyeball-searingly bright. I mounted LEDs on the back for bias lighting and put the whole thing on an ergotron neoflex desk mount. Seems stable.

The ebay auction seems too good to be true but so far so good. The seller is currently transferring the warranty to me via the dell warranty transfer site. As soon as I have verification that it goes through, I will post an update here. It was shipped in a sealed dell box as promised, communication was pretty good, and it arrived roughly on time. Looks like it really is a brand new monitor. He claimed that he bought a bunch to sell, hence the discount price. It isn't a refurb, it isn't grey market, and it certainly isn't busted. No bright or dead pixels, and the color uniformity seems very good. The bottom 1/2 inch has ever so slightly warmer a color temperature, but it is not noticeable and I feel that it may be due to the difficulties of making such a large display. No yellowing whatsoever.

That's my experience- i'd recommend the ebay route especially with the low stock problems.

Hi all, I've actually been watching this thread for a while. I'm definitely interested in getting a U2711 but don't know if I should shell out the $1100 for it yet!

I'm wondering when the U2711 will be back in stock and if there will ever be a coupon discount of some sort... :(

A week or two ago there was a dell premier member that sold a bunch of the panels at really low prices; I'm pretty sure that the ebay monitors are from that "deal". Personally I like the assurance that I get from buying direct from dell and their warranty. I also tend to spend more to get a full 5 year warranty, so I'm probably not a typical buyer :p

As for coupon, the u2711 is far too new to be discounted right now, but if you're willing to wait I guess they'll eventually put it on sale...

I bought one on ebay from PremierSalesman. It cost ~825 after the Bing Cashback and the eBay Bucks refund. Un.Be.Lievable price. [...] That's my experience- i'd recommend the ebay route especially with the low stock problems.
Ironically, I've looking at the Buy-It-Now auctions and recently came to that bing cashback conclusion, but by that time, all the "cheap" monitors had been swiped. ;) I'm really happy to hear that you've had a good experience so far, though -- that's a tremendous deal! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and in such detail. I've been wondering about the eBay experience for quite some time now, so it's great to read a thorough review. I hope your warranty goes through, too. From the feedback that various sellers have gotten, it seems like the warranty transfers are successful.

I've continued to eye the eBay auctions, though, and it seems that the sellers are all out of monitors for now! Maybe because of Dell running out? I'm still not clear on what's happening... :confused:

Neb said:
A week or two ago there was a dell premier member that sold a bunch of the panels at really low prices; I'm pretty sure that the ebay monitors are from that "deal". Personally I like the assurance that I get from buying direct from dell and their warranty. I also tend to spend more to get a full 5 year warranty, so I'm probably not a typical buyer :p

As for coupon, the u2711 is far too new to be discounted right now, but if you're willing to wait I guess they'll eventually put it on sale...
Very good points. Buying direct is the safest route. I've only gotten extended warranties for computers thus far, but since the monitor is pretty expensive, I'd think about investing in an extended warranty, too. :)

Does anyone think that Dell will lower the price after restarting production? I'm thinking no, since it's so popular right now?

Very good points. Buying direct is the safest route. I've only gotten extended warranties for computers thus far, but since the monitor is pretty expensive, I'd think about investing in an extended warranty, too. :)

Does anyone think that Dell will lower the price after restarting production? I'm thinking no, since it's so popular right now?

I've always found my monitors to generally outlive computers as long as you're buying mid-high end in my limited experience. My 2005fpw's are still running great and I've gone thru at least three computers in that time :D

Mine has been delayed 3 times now. >.<

First to the 22nd, then the 26th, and now all the way to March 10th!

It'll be worth the wait though for $617, lol.

If he told you he'd have to kill you :D

In any case that deal is dead.

Mine is scheduled for delivery on the 8th. Hopefully it won't be delayed further but I don't have my hopes too high.

Steve

Nah, I can say it, because the guy had to pull the deal because random people were finding the thread off Google Search and emailing him about it.

Guy on another forum I post on regularly is a Dell sales guy and put up a Premier Account for us. That's all it is.

Nah, I can say it, because the guy had to pull the deal because random people were finding the thread off Google Search and emailing him about it.

Guy on another forum I post on regularly is a Dell sales guy and put up a Premier Account for us. That's all it is.

I was just trying to be humorous :)

I'm just glad I got in on that deal. Hopefully it'll be here before the lan party I'm hosting later next month.

Steve

last night I saw 11 refurbished 2711s at dell.com/outlet
now they are all gone
they were $799 each I cannot believe I didn't pick it up last night, should have put it on my credit card.

What? Oh, that's amazing... so jealous! :eek: Anyone doing a deal like that any time soon, please let me know. :D

Looks like eBay sellers are doing "presales" now. How odd.

He had to have created a premier account with his own discount. My premier account doesn't come close to 612 bucks!

last night I saw 11 refurbished 2711s at dell.com/outlet
now they are all gone
they were $799 each I cannot believe I didn't pick it up last night, should have put it on my credit card.

Don't worry, you'll probably see them on ebay soon....that's my guess.

order just shipped !!

Just got off the phone with a bunch of people at dell. God they are idiots....

This monitor is most certainly out of stock even though you have to talk to 5 people and pressure them to say that.

The continued order dates that generated each week as delayed are not done with any accuracy and just random. They have no idea when this thing will be back.

Received an email from Dell on the 2/22 regarding my U2711 order saying, "Your order has been delayed again and we need your permission today to continue processing your order or it will be automatically canceled (as required by the Federal Trade Commission)" and "If we do not receive permission the order will automatically be canceled within 24 hours". I did not call or email to give my permission to continue with the order.

The block on my credit card also dropped off on this date. The LC32LE700UN was on sale at a local store so I used the card for that.

Today I got an email from Dell saying my order had shipped yesterday. Checked my card today and the Dell charge was declined. So it looks like they shipped it without receiving any payment.

Talked to Dell order support today and they ignored anything I said about the email and insisted that I had given them permission to continue with the order and ignored the fact it had not been paid for. They said when I get the monitor I can ship it back and they would refund my money (which I never paid). I am assuming they will pay to ship it back, but we'll see how that goes.

Ordered mine more recently than most, so hopefully mine ships soon!

Back