Dell U2711

What is the input lag/response time like on the Dell U2711? How is the antiglare coating? Is it as grainy as the U2410 or is it less aggressive/intrusive?

The anti-glare coating is less intrusive than the U2410. As for the input lag, to my eyes, I think it's a tad better than the U2410.

I just got my u2711 today. The anti-glare coating (thankfully!) is MUCH less noticeable than the u2410, which I have sitting next to it. It was very bothersome on that, but not at all on the u2711.

Also, black levels are great - no worse than the 2709w (va panel). To me the u2410 had very lacking black levels, which I attributed to ips, so this exceeded my expectations for sure.

One question I have:
What exactly does the calibration sheet enclosed mean? Are they saying it's supposed to come calibrated? The colors and gamma are so far off to start off with...

Secondly, anyone know of a way to manually adjust the gamma (such as through a program, etc). I'm using an icc profile that is otherwise good.

thanks.

Love mine. Came in perfect - none of the problems mentioned.

Coming from a 2408, the coating is a bit grainy, but liveable. I'm getting used to it. The other features, black level, resolution, color quality are all so superior that you really don't mind a quirk here or there. I'd attribute the black levels to the extreme density of the IPS matrix, which usually has micro gaps that contribute to lower black levels. Since the pixels are so small, the gaps are a degree smaller than other IPS panels and thus the contrast and black levels are very good.

I dropped the sharpness some which thickened the characters slightly and pretty much diminished my notice of the sparkle to such a tiny amount that I really feel I won't notice it after a while.

Dunno why, but when I'm dealing in text only I tend to like the cool blue tint setting. But there are tons of good settings on here and getting superb color for photos is not hard at all. Games look vivid as well, and the subtle color shading and smooth ramping are truly in a class to themselves.

I may prefer VA panels for their contrast, but this screen has nothing to be ashamed of in this regard. The only thing a fear now is that once I get used to this screen, others (such as work) will pale by comparison.

Have run off displayport and DVI with no issues. Scaling (on a single link DVI doing only 1920) is quite good. It's not perfect (no scaling ever is) but it is very liveable. But the true joy is running this screen native. Funny, at this resolution, I don't even mind it widescreen 16:9.

Samsung should be jealous of this screen. LG did a very good job.

I don't have a 27" 1920x1200, but using MPC-HC and coreavc cuda, BR looks just fine to me :)

Not sure what a flash reflection really tells you as it only shows how matte the coating is; it won't give you any sense of the level of "grittiness".

Having used the monitor for over a month now I can say I've been spoiled by the high DPI. Being able to fit so much on a screen has been more useful than I could've expected.

As far as the "vs Bluray on a 1080 monitor", it will be personal preference, and I'll explain why:
Some people like terms like "pixel mapped" and whatnot,
but others like things like upscaled DVDs.
Technically those two schools of thought are contradictory.
Obviously, with this monitor's "smart scaling" and higher-than-1080p resolution, this will be more like an upscaled DVD (especially if you are playing stuff from your computer). To some, better than the original at 1080p.

I prefer the "pixel mapped" type stuff for desktop use and games... stuff where the content is generated per display (which is perfect, 2560x1440 on my computer) but since movies are already 'imperfect' to start with (as it is a conversion from real-life to a digital image, along with noise and stuff), upscaling them is a bonus to me.

hello all,

quick question...should the screen in my u2711 be loose enough so that i can push it in and hear a popping noise when I do? I was cleaning my screen today and was startled a bit when it deflected inwards and made kind of a hollow clicking sound. It has never happened before on any of my other monitors.

thanks

As far as the "vs Bluray on a 1080 monitor", it will be personal preference, and I'll explain why:
Some people like terms like "pixel mapped" and whatnot,
but others like things like upscaled DVDs.
Technically those two schools of thought are contradictory.
Obviously, with this monitor's "smart scaling" and higher-than-1080p resolution, this will be more like an upscaled DVD (especially if you are playing stuff from your computer). To some, better than the original at 1080p.

I prefer the "pixel mapped" type stuff for desktop use and games... stuff where the content is generated per display (which is perfect, 2560x1440 on my computer) but since movies are already 'imperfect' to start with (as it is a conversion from real-life to a digital image, along with noise and stuff), upscaling them is a bonus to me.

Ah, I was thinking of watching movies from the computer, not direct from a ps3/blu-ray player. I haven't tried that and think I would probably not mind it.

hello all,

quick question...should the screen in my u2711 be loose enough so that i can push it in and hear a popping noise when I do? I was cleaning my screen today and was startled a bit when it deflected inwards and made kind of a hollow clicking sound. It has never happened before on any of my other monitors.

thanks

I did a quick test and indeed it seems like the top portion isn't mounted as firmly as the rear, allowing it to shift a bit when pressed; I didn't notice it and the monitor seems to perform just fine as is so I don't mind. I figure if anything does happen that's what the warranty is for :)

Ah, I was thinking of watching movies from the computer, not direct from a ps3/blu-ray player. I haven't tried that and think I would probably not mind it.
The best way, and I'm thinking about buying the $50 Bluray drive on Mwave for just this reason. Either way though, something will be upconverting it to 1440p, as even the U2711 hardware scaler seems to try to add detail instead of just doubling pixels (see pictures from a couple pages back).

I would imagine that scaling from 1920x1080 to 2560x1440 is not nearly as demanding and critical as scaling from 1024x720 to 2560x1440. Still I'm curious so I'll hook up my ps3 back to my monitor and give it a try sometime.

The best way, and I'm thinking about buying the $50 Bluray drive on Mwave for just this reason. Either way though, something will be upconverting it to 1440p, as even the U2711 hardware scaler seems to try to add detail instead of just doubling pixels (see pictures from a couple pages back).

It can't just double the pixels from 1080p to 1440p. It has to do some kind of processing to get there.

Thanks with the flash i was thinking that the more glare monitor has the more perfect the flash reflection would be (guess i was wrong).

I'm asking about all this stuff because if i decide to pull the trigger on that dell it would be to replace a pair of monitors i have currently (one of them being A-MVA i use for computer which doesn't have HDCP and TN screen i use for ps3/BR).

Actually since so far only two displays use this resolution and it is definitly not standard how is the support in games? Does everything that support 16:9 ratio work ok on it ?

And did one of You guys upgraded from 2-3 years old A-MVA/S-PVA monitors? Would you consider picture quality/gaming a improvement? It would really suck if i upgraded from my setup to find out it looks worse.

PS. It pisses me off that i have to watch BRs on TN+ because some paranoid idiots decided they must protect content with HDCP and then second bunch decided they need to save few eurocents and gave only 1d-sun and 1 HDMI for the freaking 650 euro Belinea.

Thanks with the flash i was thinking that the more glare monitor has the more perfect the flash reflection would be (guess i was wrong).

I'm asking about all this stuff because if i decide to pull the trigger on that dell it would be to replace a pair of monitors i have currently (one of them being A-MVA i use for computer which doesn't have HDCP and TN screen i use for ps3/BR).

Actually since so far only two displays use this resolution and it is definitly not standard how is the support in games? Does everything that support 16:9 ratio work ok on it ?

And did one of You guys upgraded from 2-3 years old A-MVA/S-PVA monitors? Would you consider picture quality/gaming a improvement? It would really suck if i upgraded from my setup to find out it looks worse.

PS. It pisses me off that i have to watch BRs on TN+ because some paranoid idiots decided they must protect content with HDCP and then second bunch decided they need to save few eurocents and gave only 1d-sun and 1 HDMI for the freaking 650 euro Belinea.

Its supported just fine in games and for those that don't a simple config file edit can allow you input its native resolution and with a FOV (field of view) tweaking it'll look just fine so thats not a issue. Its got a good internal pixel mapper so it handles 16:9 content just fine.

PQ wise its going to be a vast improvement over what you had before I'm sure , it'll have very fine detail due to the pixel density being pretty tight so don't worry.

Well blame studio's for forcing the HDCP requirement (even though current content isn't even encrypted) which in there defense is aimed at piracy but really just about every monitor these days is HDCP compliant so you're covered if you get this monitor for anything the future wants to throw at you.

You get SUPER used to the higher resolution. It's a great screen if that's something you are after.

I ordered mine when it was $799 on the 18th and it still has not shipped. I called Dell but that was useless as all they told me was that I should get it by 4/7 (which is the original estimated delivery date). If it doesn't show up by next week then I'll try calling again, but in the end I'm no rush and the price was great.

I ordered mine same day (18th) with the 799 deal. It came last Thursday. It has one stuck red pixel, already got a replacement coming. I do notice the grainy AG coating, but have gotten used to it. The high res is incredible, overall I love it.

Hey guys, can we share some calibration settings for this display? I think the colors are quite good out of the box, but it's still a stretch from a calibrated Pioneer plasma.

Good to hear the AG coating is not as aggressive as the U2410. I wish they would even go further so people would not notice it at all.

There doesn't seem to be a place to go and see this monitor in person here in Canada. I saw the imac 27" and the text is pretty small but I think it is okay. For the owners of the Dell U2711, what do the think of the small text size with the AG coating. Anyone have any complaints about reading text?

Good to hear the AG coating is not as aggressive as the U2410. I wish they would even go further so people would not notice it at all.

There doesn't seem to be a place to go and see this monitor in person here in Canada. I saw the imac 27" and the text is pretty small but I think it is okay. For the owners of the Dell U2711, what do the think of the small text size with the AG coating. Anyone have any complaints about reading text?

Text is indeed a bit on the small side but tolerable. I personally found it easier on my eyes to just bump up the text size in it and browsers but I could just as well not do so and still be fine.

It can't just double the pixels from 1080p to 1440p. It has to do some kind of processing to get there.
You can [quadruple them] from 720p, but the U2711 does not, see the earlier pages on all that. I know my sentence used a bad example, but the point I was trying to make is, the display always opts for complicated scaling.

...and I got used to the text size within a day. To the point of I feel like I have to wonder what it was like looking at a 1920x1200 screen. And when I got one of those for the first time, the same thing happened. There's a short adjustment period, but after that, you feel like you are getting all the 'space' for free.

Last edited:
Prad.de mentions a bit too agressive implementation of RTC. Are there any overdrive artifacts visible while gaiming ?

I'm fine with mine. I really like it. Games are fine.

As far as text goes I had it at 125% on my 1920x1200 24" display so it's still good at this setting on the u2711.

Look's like the screens I ordered back on the 18th haven't shipped yet :(
They were due to ship today, but still show as being in production.

If they just used a finer, less grainy coating for AG - LG would have the market sewn up.

If they just used a finer, less grainy coating for AG - LG would have the market sewn up.
All it'd take is to get someone like 3M who know what they're doing to formulate a decent anti-glare coating for them, I am really suprised why LG allow this to continue.. AG coatings do not need to look that way.

When you guys got your replacement LCDs, did it came in different packaging from the original? I got my U2410 replacement earlier today and the packaging is different. The LCD isn't held by the Styrofoam like my original U2410 were. It's just held by different pieces of cardboards inside. Did Dell changed packaging here or they gave me a refurbished? Basically the packaging doesn't look very sophisticated like my original U2410s. It's making me suspicious and all.

How does one know if they have got a refurbished LCD or not? Also I notice the the instruction paper wasn't completely inside the box. When the deliveryman dropped off the item, I noticed that part of the instruction paper sticking partially stuck outside the packaging.

Sloppy paperwork is one thing (I know at least a couple years ago paper+accessory placement was by hand) but cardboard supports? Wow... I'd call Dell and ask them.

Production is slow as all heck. Still waiting for mine to ship let alone deliver. Talked to order support and they said it's still on track for the 9th for delivery. Yeah right.

My order just shipped. My question is what does Dell use for shipping to Canada with their "Canada standard" shipping method?

My order just shipped. My question is what does Dell use for shipping to Canada with their "Canada standard" shipping method?

Yup mine shipped today as well!!

I believe Dell uses USPS to the border, then once through customs, Purolator picks up the items and delivers them.

Order shipped yesterday early AM! Should be here by Friday. Will post what I think of it then.

Hey guys,

Was following this thread for a while now.

Just picked up a U2410 locally (brand new from a Dell authorized seller) for $550CAD and I love it. Might get another. I can definitely see no issues so far; no dead pixels, green/pink tint and the edge colors seems great.
I have an older 22" widescreen Dell beside it and that one has the pink tint for sure.

I don't know which page it is, but what are the best ways to test this monitor for color etc.?
Thanks guys!

Woops.. wrong topic

Last edited:
Heres what I posted on Bittech last night

"After putting up with outdated gear for 5 years, I bought one on saturday from CCL in Bradford with a 5850 vapour x. (BTW, Just finished building my first ever PC which is satisfying after reading up about it on here and in your mag since October last year, core i7 920, Asus Pt6 Delux v2, samsung 1TB HD, titan fenrir and some other goodies).

I was a bit worried about the following after reading reviews:

1) Gaming performance
2) Font size
3) Glitter effect on screen
4) Colour tinitning / variations across the acreens
5) Dead pixels

Heres the lowdown:

1) Gaming performance is AWESOME. I've waited until now to Play Crysis. Downloaded it from Steam, turned up the resolution to 2560 x 1440. WOW. :) All settings on high. No lag - not that I can tell anyway. Colours are amazing, exactly as you said in the review.
Also opened Half Life 2, pleased to see an option for 2560 x 1440, not tried anything else yet.
Who needs consoles. Just show em this.
2) Font size - is a little small at native resolution if i'm honest. But I am getting on a bit ;) I've just pulled the monitor a bit closer. When you download those wallpapers at 2560 x 1440 from interfacelift and see them in all their glory, you wont be worring about font size :)
3) Glitter effect on screen - its no different to most other monitors with an anti reflective coating. And its only an issue cos i've read up about stuff. You only notice when you look for it on still images.
4) No colour tinting. I was a bit disappointed with the default settings when I first switchd on, it takes a few seconds to "warm up", it looked a bit pink and crappy, but when I turned the birghtness and contrast up a tad it sprang to life - WOW.
5) Dead pixels - none.

Next download = left 4 dead, then portal :)

This really is an amazing bit of kit imho.
Thanks"

Heres what I posted on Bittech last night

"After putting up with outdated gear for 5 years, I bought one on saturday from CCL in Bradford with a 5850 vapour x. (BTW, Just finished building my first ever PC which is satisfying after reading up about it on here and in your mag since October last year, core i7 920, Asus Pt6 Delux v2, samsung 1TB HD, titan fenrir and some other goodies).

I was a bit worried about the following after reading reviews:

1) Gaming performance
2) Font size
3) Glitter effect on screen
4) Colour tinitning / variations across the acreens
5) Dead pixels

Heres the lowdown:

1) Gaming performance is AWESOME. I've waited until now to Play Crysis. Downloaded it from Steam, turned up the resolution to 2560 x 1440. WOW. :) All settings on high. No lag - not that I can tell anyway. Colours are amazing, exactly as you said in the review.
Also opened Half Life 2, pleased to see an option for 2560 x 1440, not tried anything else yet.
Who needs consoles. Just show em this.
2) Font size - is a little small at native resolution if i'm honest. But I am getting on a bit ;) I've just pulled the monitor a bit closer. When you download those wallpapers at 2560 x 1440 from interfacelift and see them in all their glory, you wont be worring about font size :)
3) Glitter effect on screen - its no different to most other monitors with an anti reflective coating. And its only an issue cos i've read up about stuff. You only notice when you look for it on still images.
4) No colour tinting. I was a bit disappointed with the default settings when I first switchd on, it takes a few seconds to "warm up", it looked a bit pink and crappy, but when I turned the birghtness and contrast up a tad it sprang to life - WOW.
5) Dead pixels - none.

Next download = left 4 dead, then portal :)

This really is an amazing bit of kit imho.
Thanks"

Glad to see another with no problems. I personally LOVE mine. I was very nervous about buying one because of the thousands of complaints but I got none.

Just so people know, I go graphic design (brand development), photoshop photography editing and 3d design and this monitor is great.

woohoo, my U2711 just arrived! it was 'scheduled delivery' for 4/12, but actually shipped 4/6 and is here today.

will report in about my pros/cons...

When you download those wallpapers at 2560 x 1440 from interfacelift and see them in all their glory
Finally, a good place!
So far I've just been using high-res picture(s) of my cat from my camera, the best way I found to take advantage of the 2560 until now.

Just hooked this thing up to my rig, and holy wow this thing is awesome. So far so good, not a single dead or stuck pixel!

I ordered March 26, and it shipped April 6th. So there's about an 11 day shipping delay, worth the wait though (or you could just buy from eBay)

Back