Dell U2711

Just got my two U2711's! (Both are rev. A00 - Made In Mexico, in March).
I was actually surprised that they arrived so quickly (Shipped from Dell on Tuesday).

I've setup the first one for a basic go-over and will check the second later.
Once I know both are OK, I'll put them back in their boxes, because there's no sense in me setting them up right now as I'm moving to a new place soon.

Initial impressions are pretty good on this first panel.
Screen uniformity looks good, I don't see any dead or stuck pixels, Black level and colour also seem decent.
Compared to my Sony Bravia 40" Z-series TV, colours don't seem washed out like some have reported with their U2711. Red's and orange's look OK to me. {Using Adobe RGB Mode}
I will say however that colours do tend to look a bit washed out using Adobe sRGB mode.

Out of the box brightness level of 50% is too high, adjusting this down to around 20% seems much better.
Text is small (especially coming from a 40" 1080p screen), but I'll get used to it I'm sure.
The only real negative I can see so far is the AG coating. While it's not the worst I've seen on a display, it's hard to ignore the fact that it is there. It tends to give a slight haze to the screen especially over darker colours, and does make solid background colours sparkle somewhat.
It's more obvious the closer you sit to the screen, and right now I'm probably sitting a bit closer than I will be once I have the U2711's properly setup.

2560x1440 screen resolution is fantastic and I really don't feel like I'm working on a 16:9 panel. (Could be that I'm just used to this format though).

Like I said in the beginning, I'm really quite pleased overall and in some way's I do hate that I'm going to have to pack these beauties away for a while until I get my new place setup.

Now on to testing out the second one.....

Cheers.

[EDIT]
Finished checking out the second U2711 and it looks to be just as good as the first :)
Also tried out HAWX (2560x1440 @ 8xAA) and it ran really well + looked superb!

Last edited:
Just got mine, profiled and no problems. The thread you are linking to the guy is trying to use the sRGB mode I believe. The sRGB mode does not work correctly. All colors in the mode appear to be desaturated (compared desktop to a sRGB tagged images and with color settings set to sRGB in CS3 for comparison.

What setting do you recommend to use?

The sRGB mode does not work correctly
Curious - At least our test models (this can of course vary => it is not that I don't believe you) had a quite usable sRGB mode (although the gradation reaches not the sRGB characteristic). Here is the result for the U2410. It reaches of course not the accuracy of a color space emulation (with consideration of the actual display state) but it is not bad overall:

http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2010/test-dell-u2410-teil10.html (mid till end)
(had measured more patches for test purposes, including a LUT profile for a more exakt color space representation in Lab).

(compared desktop to a sRGB tagged images and with color settings set to sRGB in CS3 for comparison.
With what probe have you measured the screen during profilation?

Best regards

Denis

Last edited:
So I got the monitor in yesterday (Friday the 9th) so far absolutely loving it. No issues. No dead pixels, no backlight bleeding, no stuck pixels, no orange/red color tint.

Set to sRGB and compared to my older S-IPS 2005FPW, it looks beautiful. It's a perfect sequel to my aging 2004 monitor.

AntiGlare coating doesn't bug me in the slightest because it's very similar to what was already on my 2005FPW.

Text size is just right and looks beautiful. I have so much desktop space now. Played a few games like Crysis, Modern Warfare 2, C&C3 Tiberium Wars, C&C4 Tiberian Twilight, Bad Company 2, Half-Life 2, Unreal Tournament 2004. All of them support 2560x1440 except for UT2004 which does a max of 1920x1200 or something.

Very impressed! Let me tell you, HL2 doesn't look like it's from 2004 when it's at this high of a resolution! :D

Hooked up via DisplayPort with my single xfx Radeon 5870 1GB GDDR5.

If I find any issues I'll post here.

Duhh. I fired a little fast from the hip on that one. My mistake was that I thought I had disabled color management on Firefox and my desktop wallpaper was optimized for the monitors native gamut.

To turn off the color management on Firefox I had to set color management plug-in to "No Images" before disabling it. And I used an sRGB image through Windows Photo Viewer and IE to make sure it all matched.

Yes, it works like a charm. I am glad because your review and the feedback I had read on a working sRGB mode was one of the big selling points.:D

My only complaint right now is the bracket on my stand has too much play and the monitor leans down to the right by about 10 degrees. It doesn't appear that there any adjustments that can be made on that. It took a stack of 5 quarters to level the display.:rolleyes:

It's just a joy to use this monitor. Hooked up right now to my M6400 and just love the real estate. Pop a couple Thomas vids on youtube on one half while I catch up on some H on the other side and get a bit of child bonding :)

Does anybody have a problem with their monitor randomly dimming? I'm not quite sure it's random but occasionally it will dim then come back. Even when I'm in the middle of using the computer.

Any ideas?

steve

Does anybody have a problem with their monitor randomly dimming? I'm not quite sure it's random but occasionally it will dim then come back. Even when I'm in the middle of using the computer.

Any ideas?

steve

Dynamic contrast ratio enabled perhaps?

My only complaint right now is the bracket on my stand has too much play and the monitor leans down to the right by about 10 degrees. It doesn't appear that there any adjustments that can be made on that. It took a stack of 5 quarters to level the display.:rolleyes:

Yeah I noticed that both of my U2711's seemed to lean down a bit on the right side as well
(maybe 5 degrees or so - certainly not as much as 10 degrees). It doesn't bother me though as I'm fairly certain I will be mounting the screens to a dual-monitor arm/stand once I get them setup in their new home.

This new Ergotron desk mount looks pretty nice:
http://www.ergotron.com/Products/tabid/65/PRDID/354/language/en-US/default.aspx

Yeah I noticed that both of my U2711's seemed to lean down a bit on the right side as well
(maybe 5 degrees or so - certainly not as much as 10 degrees). It doesn't bother me though as I'm fairly certain I will be mounting the screens to a dual-monitor arm/stand once I get them setup in their new home.

This new Ergotron desk mount looks pretty nice:
http://www.ergotron.com/Products/tabid/65/PRDID/354/language/en-US/default.aspx

Odd, I can only move mine 1-2 degrees max, its really stable.

Are you guys gaming on this monitor? Im just curious what kind of rig is required to push 2560x resolution at acceptable framerates.. (I play a lot of games)

Im just researching monitors since my FW900 is starting to fail :mad:

Are you guys gaming on this monitor? Im just curious what kind of rig is required to push 2560x resolution at acceptable framerates.. (I play a lot of games)

Im just researching monitors since my FW900 is starting to fail :mad:

I'm actually at a lan party right now ;) Running BF2, L4D2 and a little BF:BC2. I'm not having any trouble with the first rig in my sig at full resolution.

Steve

Yeah, the demand is not as bad as people make it think... also run BFBC2 at full res. Haven't had much/any trouble yet, but I've been slacking on PC games lately.

Hmm has anyone made direct comparision to imac 27" screen?
Because i found out a news on TFT central that stand alone Mac cinema displays should be coming in June.

Yeah, the demand is not as bad as people make it think... also run BFBC2 at full res. Haven't had much/any trouble yet, but I've been slacking on PC games lately.

Hm from all the 2560x benchmarks ive seen i'd need a GTX 480 to power my games, I'll probably end up looking for a 1080P or 1920x1200 monitor instead.

I was curious if anyone else with a Radeon 5850 is havin the same problem as I am...

I haven't been able to narrow it down to the video card or the U2711 yet, but every time Win7 shuts the monitor off (power save after 20min), I can't wake it back up until I turn the U2711 off and back on.

Similar (likely related issue) is whenever the monitor has to switch resolutions for a game or Win7 popping up the security message 'you sure you want this app to run', the DP connection just stays off and I can't wake it back up until I power cycle the monitor. This is more sporadic though, as it's only happened a few times from the Win7 security message, and a few times when starting up CoD:MW2 when it was configured for a lower resolution.

Any ideas? I'm thinking its more related to the 5850 due to the weird bug issues with ATI cards, but was curious if anyone else with a similar setup was seeing this...

Because i found out a news on TFT central that stand alone Mac cinema displays should be coming in June.

See the OP: Unlike the 27" iMac, the U2711 is matte finish instead of glossy, 102% gamut instead of 72%, and CCFL backlight instead of LED backlight. They are not at all the same panel.

Specs of your computer? Esp. video card?
Hm from all the 2560x benchmarks ive seen i'd need a GTX 480 to power my games, I'll probably end up looking for a 1080P or 1920x1200 monitor instead.
I know, I didn't expect it either. Overclocked 860 and 5850. It has a lot to do with the game though, of course. Not much can be said about this. One thing I will mention though... you won't need AA so much with such fine pixels. So if you do have trouble running it, disabling AA entirely isn't as noticeable as you are used to.

Just received my U2711 to replace my 2707. I just hooked it up. So far the resolution increase is what's blowing me away. I love it!

I've quickly played some Bad Company 2 on pretty much max settings at full res and it ran pretty well. I was thinking about buying another 5870 but so far I don't think I really need to.

My specs are as follows:
Win7 x64
i7 920 @ 3.5
6GB RAM
5870 at stock speed
Asus Rampage 2 Extreme

Took some (really terrible I must say) comparison shots with the U2711 next to my old 2707.

In both shots I tried to set up images on both monitors to be complete copies of each other. Even though the pictures are awful you should be able to easily make out how 2560x1440 vs 1920x1200 in basic every day use might look like.

Please disregard the color and lighting differences between the monitors; these pictures were taken in bad conditions.

p269482633.jpg

p227314759.jpg

Nice comparisons shots, thanks!

I kinda want a higher res monitor than 1920x1200, but they're too expensive for me. >_>

I have noticed that the U2711 sells for around $850 on Ebay.
Has anyone bought this monitor from these sellers on Ebay?
If so, are they really brand new monitors shipped directly from Dell and do they have the full manufacturer's warranty?
If you have dead pixels or other problems, can you get an exchange from Dell versus dealing with the Ebay vendor?

I was curious if anyone else with a Radeon 5850 is havin the same problem as I am...

I haven't been able to narrow it down to the video card or the U2711 yet, but every time Win7 shuts the monitor off (power save after 20min), I can't wake it back up until I turn the U2711 off and back on.

Similar (likely related issue) is whenever the monitor has to switch resolutions for a game or Win7 popping up the security message 'you sure you want this app to run', the DP connection just stays off and I can't wake it back up until I power cycle the monitor. This is more sporadic though, as it's only happened a few times from the Win7 security message, and a few times when starting up CoD:MW2 when it was configured for a lower resolution.

Any ideas? I'm thinking its more related to the 5850 due to the weird bug issues with ATI cards, but was curious if anyone else with a similar setup was seeing this...

I have the 5850 and I am not having the same problem. I will admit I tend to turn my monitor off but the few times that I haven't and let W7 go to the screen saver dim, all I had to do was jiggle my mouse to wake it up.

I have noticed that the U2711 sells for around $850 on Ebay.
Has anyone bought this monitor from these sellers on Ebay?
If so, are they really brand new monitors shipped directly from Dell and do they have the full manufacturer's warranty?
If you have dead pixels or other problems, can you get an exchange from Dell versus dealing with the Ebay vendor?
Yes, this is exactly what I did... my seller (cmcredding) was excellent in every way, and the box has my name on it as the recipient.

Remember to use Bing Cashback, if you aren't factoring that in already. Mine was $825 after cashback, but I paid $70 more for the 5yr warranty.

Hi AndrewZorn,

Did your monitor ship to you directly from Dell versus the Ebay seller?
Are you happy with your monitor with no ded pixels or other problems?
How are these Ebay sellers able to sell these monitors for $250 less than Dell?

The greymarket ebay listing must be dropshipping from Dell off a corporate account or similar.

How long do you think I'd have to wait for these to eventually show up in the dell refurbished outlet?
Three months? Six? Longer?

I didn't care for the 30" but this might do the trick with the higher DPI.

ps. can anyone tell me the actual height and width including the frame?
I think it's 25.5 inches wide? How tall?

Last edited:
Image Dimensions: 23.54" x 13.22"

Use the ever handy TVCalc:
http://tvcalculator.com/index.html?b6099e4f60a5ee33e7c6cec0278bdac0

Thanks for that, but I needed physically dimensions including the frame.
I finally found them:

Width 25.5 inches (2 inch frame, 1 on each side)
Height 16.9 inches (3.68 frame, 1.8 on top/bottom)
Depth 7.9 inches (seems kinda wrong but plausible)

compared to 3007wfp
Width 27.16 inches
Height 17.7 inches
Depth 2.93 inches

compared to 2707
Width 25 inches
Height 17.4 inches
Depth 9.6 inches (really? can't be right)

compared to fw-900 (just for fun)
Width 22.5 inches
Height 19.7 inches
Depth 20.6 inches

Hi AndrewZorn,

Did your monitor ship to you directly from Dell versus the Ebay seller?
Are you happy with your monitor with no ded pixels or other problems?
How are these Ebay sellers able to sell these monitors for $250 less than Dell?
Went straight to me. The Ebay sellers act as a reseller, so as I understand it, completely legit. The box has his name on the billing, my name on the shipping/recipient.
It isn't a refurb, no dead pixels, etc. You wait in line like everyone else for the monitor to be built and shipped out by Dell. It's the real deal, I'm glad I checked Ebay first.
A shame to see they've gone down a bit though... the ones that do NOT ship directly from Dell are even cheaper. But the same seller I got mine from is now charging $60 less...

I have the 5850 and I am not having the same problem. I will admit I tend to turn my monitor off but the few times that I haven't and let W7 go to the screen saver dim, all I had to do was jiggle my mouse to wake it up.

Damn, sucks for me I guess. I'm quite certain this is not related to the U2711 though, since when the monitor is in 'power save' mode with the computer off, it wakes up fine once the BIOS pops up.

Gotta be a ATI driver/video card BIOS issue... :mad:

yeah but price will be about $1399 for it (right inbetween the 24" and 30").
Basically you would be paying $300 more for the LED backlighting (because the panel is the same). and its probably more than that because Apple never discounts their products until new ones are about to come out, Dell has some deep discounts some times.

Went straight to me. The Ebay sellers act as a reseller, so as I understand it, completely legit. The box has his name on the billing, my name on the shipping/recipient.
It isn't a refurb, no dead pixels, etc. You wait in line like everyone else for the monitor to be built and shipped out by Dell. It's the real deal, I'm glad I checked Ebay first.
A shame to see they've gone down a bit though... the ones that do NOT ship directly from Dell are even cheaper. But the same seller I got mine from is now charging $60 less...

yeah seems odd that ebay is 24% lower than Dell.com on pricing, I mean a lot of times it may be 5-10% cheaper, but 24%? Then again the U2410 retails at $599 and Dell had it for $499 the other day, thats a 27% discount and I am sure resellers get it cheaper...

Still doubt the warranty though, I mean even if you are shipped it directly from Dell, the resellers name is on the billing, not yours! When I sent in my samsung for warranty repairs they wanted a copy of my receipt (which I had from best buy), not sure Dell would take an EBAY receipt or paypal receipt...

yeah seems odd that ebay is 24% lower than Dell.com on pricing, I mean a lot of times it may be 5-10% cheaper, but 24%? Then again the U2410 retails at $599 and Dell had it for $499 the other day, thats a 27% discount and I am sure resellers get it cheaper...

Still doubt the warranty though, I mean even if you are shipped it directly from Dell, the resellers name is on the billing, not yours! When I sent in my samsung for warranty repairs they wanted a copy of my receipt (which I had from best buy), not sure Dell would take an EBAY receipt or paypal receipt...

Dell issues a service tag for all monitors over 24 inches. The service tag is all you need for warranty I believe. For monitors without the service tag you need the orginal purchase invoice info for warranty.

Back