Desk modding count? Yea, that desk.. Whole re-fit augmentation :P

i like your use of the rca plugs for the cold cathodes, but my question is what did you do for the ground on the lights?

i see that you have +12 volts going to the RCA female connectors, but where is your ground>

HRslammR said:
so, perhaps most importantly... is boeing hiring? :)
no no no. I used to work there. That ended in '99

UT-Jackal said:
So did you power the ccfl's with a psu that was not connected to a computer? if so how did you get the psu to work without hooking it up to a mobo? Cause i have an extra psu and some extra ccfl's and that would be cool to do in my apt :D
It's an AT PSU, the old school type. And it's hooked up to that control box. Study the images.

compslckr said:
i like your use of the rca plugs for the cold cathodes, but my question is what did you do for the ground on the lights?

i see that you have +12 volts going to the RCA female connectors, but where is your ground>
RCA plugs are 2 conductor. So the center pin was +12v and the outside ring was -12v back to the control box and then interfaced with the molex plug that supplies the whole control unit.

But one question for you STRESSTEST: no UPS hooked up to any of the PC's? :confused:

What if the power goes out while you are on one of 'em? :(

Then they turn off and I bust out the notebook :p

Compaq EVO N1000v
2.2 P4
1 gig ram
7200 RPM 60gig drive
Radeon 7500
15" 1400x1050

PB042131.JPG

Incase anyone wants that wallpaper it's here

STRESSTEST said:
Then they turn off and I bust out the notebook :p

Compaq EVO N1000v
2.2 P4
1 gig ram
7200 RPM 60gig drive
Radeon 7500
15" 1400x1050
*waves hand*

you will send Blackdog money now.

:D

holy SHIT im jealous, i got a shitty corner desk in the living room of my 1 bedroom apartment.. this.. is.. my.. HELL :mad:

:( You got me in tears looking at my two LCD setup, thats sitting on my cheap computer desk that I got from "Wally-World" aka Wal-mart :p Sitting in a broken-in chair, that I got a Sam's club on sale..

STRESSTEST your my "hero" :p

And I thought it was amazing before... be sure to get some dark night shots with neon lights on soon.

I hope I grow up to be that much of a computer geek and have a computer desk like that:)

STRESSTEST said:
Anyway, i rolled it on the formica and then the stock.. I really didn't wait to long, maybe 2 or 3 minutes max. They sell this roller press dealy too at the store I went too. The idea is that once you have the two halves in place you start at one end and basically put your weight into the roller on the top of the formica and press out all the air bubbles. It's pretty easy but hard on the wrists. I let them sit for maybe an hour or so before I trimmed them with the dremel.

Thanks for the info.

OMG OMG OMG!!!!! die! jk thats one of the coolest setups ive seen in a long time

SEALTeamSix said:
Nice desk... of course, it's not $10K, but...

-SEAL
OMG I remember that desk.

God I feel old now.

This is a new username but I remember [H] from the days when GenMay was free!

thats definatly a 10k worth desk, well if you add all the computer ahrdware.

btw, you're a hardmodder yet you go with koolance exos, isntead of the real shabang!? :p

Unoid said:
thats definatly a 10k worth desk, well if you add all the computer ahrdware.

btw, you're a hardmodder yet you go with koolance exos, isntead of the real shabang!? :p

Try one before you knock them. You know that guy Kyle? The fellow that owns this place? Yea, he loves them too, isn't he considered [H]ard too? He surely knows more about hardware then little ol’ stressy-phoo

Here's the deal though. Sure they will not give you the best temps in the world of water cooling. But they surely do a great job, and they do better then any Swiftech / Alpha / Thermaltake / Thermalright air solution out there. I personally think those large 1/2' tubes running through cases look like a can of smashed ass. A large pump residing on a layer of foam in the bottom of my case doesn't sound aesthetically pleasing to me either. As you can see, I am wholly into "looks" when it comes to my work. Koolance has a great working, well polished, easy to use and greatly supported product on their hands. The few degrees Celsius I pay in temps over the greatest 1/2 systems, is easily made up for me in looks and silence. Besides, do you think a CPU in the mid 30's is any different in the high 30's when you mildly overclock? I’m certainly not here to wave my penis in the wind and claim the ultra overclock. A little push is perfect for me. I’m in the whole water cooling scene only because I want quiet. With all of these systems running (Folding mind you) I can still here the second hand on my wall clock, tick. Now that's what I'm talking about. :)

Nice setup, I truely like the underglow effect, just put in a black/gray minifridge and your set :cool:

I have an odd question relating to the chair you have there, I have seen these in some catalogs except I was wondering if they are worth the price?

STRESSTEST said:
Try one before you knock them. You know that guy Kyle? The fellow that owns this place? Yea, he loves them too, isn't he considered [H]ard too? He surely knows more about hardware then little ol’ stressy-phoo

Here's the deal though. Sure they will not give you the best temps in the world of water cooling. But they surely do a great job, and they do better then any Swiftech / Alpha / Thermaltake / Thermalright air solution out there. I personally think those large 1/2' tubes running through cases look like a can of smashed ass. A large pump residing on a layer of foam in the bottom of my case doesn't sound aesthetically pleasing to me either. As you can see, I am wholly into "looks" when it comes to my work. Koolance has a great working, well polished, easy to use and greatly supported product on their hands. The few degrees Celsius I pay in temps over the greatest 1/2 systems, is easily made up for me in looks and silence. Besides, do you think a CPU in the mid 30's is any different in the high 30's when you mildly overclock? I’m certainly not here to wave my penis in the wind and claim the ultra overclock. A little push is perfect for me. I’m in the whole water cooling scene only because I want quiet. With all of these systems running (Folding mind you) I can still here the second hand on my wall clock, tick. Now that's what I'm talking about. :)

Someones a bit grumpy :) I applauded the desk, just wondering why the exos :) A simple, It was easier then real wc would suffice.

GodSpeed said:
Nice setup, I truely like the underglow effect, just put in a black/gray minifridge and your set :cool:

I have an odd question relating to the chair you have there, I have seen these in some catalogs except I was wondering if they are worth the price?

every penny. Sit in one for 5 minutes and you'll see why. Sit in one for 8 hours at the office, and you'll sell your wife for one.. well, almost ;)

Unoid said:
Someones a bit grumpy :) I applauded the desk, just wondering why the exos :) A simple, It was easier then real wc would suffice.

Well, it's really not a simple answer. And since you never have tried one by your lack of reply to that question I assume, you really don't know. Other then to go on the other ppl here that have never tried one personally and add fuel to the ignorance-fire. I wasn't grumpy, I just figured your question deserved a real answer. Something that goes by the way side a lot on hardware forums. The problem is the community is always devided into two or more camps. I try to stary away from that.

After I saw your pics I started designing my new built-in desk.
Hope it looks 1/2 as good as yours when I am done.

Awesome set-up, STRESS. This thread is a inspiration to all of us computer enthusiasts that desire more than just the status quo. Thank you. And thank you for the links to the very cool images. If I might ask, is there a place you know of that has more images like those? I'm collecting computer art. :D Once I get a digi camera, I'll post some pics of my little humble set-up. :cool:

BTW, I'm as jealous as all the other peeps too.

Again, great job!

STRESSTEST said:
I’m certainly not here to wave my penis in the wind

Unfortunately I've been around when that does happen, haha.
Desk looks awesome, Stress.

I want to go about and do something similar, just without the Cold Cathodes.(Not my thing) ;)
Stress, how should I go about with it?

Stress,

Where did you get those wire ties? I've been looking for something exactly like those. Nice setup you got :)

Unoid said:

Its not always about easier, its about what you want. If you dont overclock, or mildly overclock, why go with a DangerDen kit that costs a little more than some of the smaller systems? Though I disagree with the whole "1/2' tubes running through cases look like a can of smashed ass" comment, I do agree that 3/8" hosing is easier to manipulate.

BTW, nice desk Stress! Someday *Well, when I can stop scraping the penny jar to make ends meet* I plan to build my desk. It'll be a corner desk with a fold down section that will be the computer case with watercooling :D I have plans somewhat drawn up but they be at home, I be at work.

Finsta said:
I want to go about and do something similar, just without the Cold Cathodes.(Not my thing) ;)
Stress, how should I go about with it?
Start with a tape measure......

novagamer192 said:
Stress,

Where did you get those wire ties? I've been looking for something exactly like those. Nice setup you got :)

VELSTRAP® brand Straps
Reusable high strength cinching strap with plastic buckle and mounting grommet. Hundreds of uses indoors or out!
1" X 12" STRAP WITH GROMMET 1.60 ea.
http://www.fastenation.com/

the site uses a cart session when you get on it so I can't get you right to the exact product.

Back