DFI RS482 Infinity in stock (US)

this is just great. Now i can finaly get CPU:MEM 1:1 @ 250mhz, but voltage is stuck at stock. This sucks!

I have a Zalman 7000A instead of 7000B. The backplate center opening is too small to fit. I am using the stock backplate and long screws (instead of the Zalman mounting posts) to mount the HS.

At idle - 1.425v, the Zalman is about 1-2c lower than the AMD heatpipe HS I have been using. But the Chipset temp goes down from 40c to 32c because the airflow created by the Zalman fan also covers the Northbridge (@1.3v)

I guess I'll be using the Zalman 7000A for awhile.

CRaZYMoFo said:
Fits fine :D
RS482infinity3.JPG

Diff angles:
http://crazyangel.ultra-gamers.com/PC/RS482infinity4.JPG
http://crazyangel.ultra-gamers.com/PC/RS482infinity5.JPG

killzone said:
any one know what heat sink will fit the north brige the one cap is very close

what i did with my jetway nb when it came loose was to change the pins out to 4/40 screws . useing nylon washers against the motherboard to prevent any problems. this kept the original heatsink very secure since then.

i can say one thing this dfi is proveing to me is that with all these settings for timings you can do wonders with right memory

my 2x1GB ocz performance wouldnt do above 227fsb on my jetway board. with this board i have achieved 250 fsb useing 6/5 setting . cpu is at 300 fsb

i will be placeing everything in the new case i built today , start the water and allow time for air to go out of line before starting system . then i can see how well this new case does and the 165 opteron i have

i also have a enermax liberty 620 watt ps to go in the new case , i hope there is no problems useing this size ps . it was at a bargain price very close to that of the 500 watt. so i bought this instead

hugs

Jen

My OCZ 2x512 has just arrived within the last hour. I am running them at 1T 2.5-3-3-8, 2.8v, 258mhz. 6/5 divider. My Opty 144 is @ 315fsbx9.

I have the OCZ400 1024ELDCPER2-K.

Jen: What memory settings do you have with your OCZ?

buzzly said:
My OCZ 2x512 has just arrived within the last hour. I am running them at 1T 2.5-3-3-8, 2.8v, 258mhz. 6/5 divider. My Opty 144 is @ 315fsbx9.

I have the OCZ400 1024ELDCPER2-K.

Jen: What memory settings do you have with your OCZ?

settings i am useing

2 x 1 GB OCZ Performance ( OCZ4002048PFDC-K)

this memory i have had for a very long time , i dont in anyway know if the newer memory will do the same as these or that these are somehow special

with these settings which i borrowed from ocz , and also i am useing 2T at this time. when i am done overclocking my opteron i will try for 1T

this was tested memtest #5 error free at over 15 hrs

have done no other testing other than this

hugs

Jen

Thanks, Jen.

Now, if I can only get the DVI-I output connects to my HDTV with HDMI connector.

buzzly said:
Thanks, Jen.

Now, if I can only get the DVI-I output connects to my HDTV with HDMI connector.

your welcome

dfi are you listening? i need a bios that works with the 3/2 divider so i can overclock my 165 further

memory is erroring out at 6/5 setting , fsb of 283 . looks like max i am going to achieve is 2548mhz with this chip till bios problem is fixed

the watercooling setup i have made is going to work out just fine , idles at 27c and load at 37c voltage at 1.4 . even if i max out the voltage to 1.5 i still dont see temps above 41c

hugs

Jen

jen:

I have the 308 beta bios.

I was using some cheap Patriot PSD1G400KH mem and 3/2 divider, keeping the mem at around 200mhz. I have tried an Opty 144 and Opty 165 at 315fsb and 290fsb before and I did not have any problem.

Today, I have a new Opty 165 running @ 315fsb with new OCZ OCZ4001024ELDCPER2-K mem. 2.5-3-3-8 2.8v and leave everything at AUTO. I can either 3/2 or 6/5 dividers with no problem at all.

buzzly said:
jen:

I have the 308 beta bios.

I was using some cheap Patriot PSD1G400KH mem and 3/2 divider, keeping the mem at around 200mhz. I have tried an Opty 144 and Opty 165 at 315fsb and 290fsb before and I did not have any problem.

Today, I have a new Opty 165 running @ 315fsb with new OCZ OCZ4001024ELDCPER2-K mem. 2.5-3-3-8 2.8v and leave everything at AUTO. I can either 3/2 or 6/5 dividers with no problem at all.

then its a memory incompatability with this board i have here , useing the 0308 bios as well.

useing 3/2 setting i can go to 230 fsb and once over that it kicks back to default settings.

i'm a little closer than i was yesterday with this 6/5 setting , new timings on this memory and have passed memtest #5 error free at 285 fsb .

hugs

Jen

I'm considering this board but I'm reading conflicting comments between here and other places.

Does this have adjustable Vcore? If so, which BIOS version?

Thanks!

How about vcore adjustment from 0.8 - 1.85v? Bios versions 82DMD321(latest) and 82DMD128. Yes, the initial version of Bios has a bug that would hide some vcore adjustment when using an Opteron. That has been fixed.

[LYL]Homer said:
I'm considering this board but I'm reading conflicting comments between here and other places.

Does this have adjustable Vcore? If so, which BIOS version?

Thanks!

Jen:

I am using the hacked version 82DMD321.RH bios that also unhide 11/10 divider.

Opty 165 @ 1.35v, 312fsb with OCZ OCZ4001024ELDCPER2-K mem. 3-4-4-8 (AUTO for everything else) @ 2.8v

That means the mem is running @ 283mhz. I ran a few super Pi tests and seemed to be stable. Need more testing.

I have a nekkid 144 and some mushkin 2x1GB kit waiting to be used in an rs482, UPS tracking says itll be here 4/12- im sure youll hear from me.

Xaeos said:
Now I wonder...

Has anyone run Linux on this thing? The ATI chipset makes me wary...

Also, would you pick this over the Biostar Tforce listed here? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813138264

I read that this was currently the top of the line mATX board. Also, I plan to be using a PCI-E graphics card, not the onboard.

Overclocking seems to be hit and miss on both boards, but 90% of either or are capable of hitting 300HTT+ with a good CPU/RAM combo

I have both MBs. Both usually can OC to 300+ fsb. RS482 tends to be more consistence, whereas Tforce could range from 260 to 325 fsb. The RS482 has smoother and steadier vcore supply which helps a lot when OC'ing. RS482's bios is less mature than that of the Tforce6100.

Tforce's nVidia 6100 graphic is slightly faster/better than ATI's x300. RS482 runs much cooler than Tforce, especially when OC'ed with higher vcore.

To me, DFI RS482 is like a Lexus, Tforce6100 a Mustang. Does this make sense?

buzzly said:
Jen:

I am using the hacked version 82DMD321.RH bios that also unhide 11/10 divider.

Opty 165 @ 1.35v, 312fsb with OCZ OCZ4001024ELDCPER2-K mem. 3-4-4-8 (AUTO for everything else) @ 2.8v

That means the mem is running @ 283mhz. I ran a few super Pi tests and seemed to be stable. Need more testing.

so far niether the 0308 nor the 0321 has fixed the divider problem for me . ocz tech support is going to speak to dfi about this problem.

sigh

Jen

Is there anyway to update the bios without using a floppy drive? I ask this because I don't have one and I'm too lazy to go borrow one.

taco1435 said:
Is there anyway to update the bios without using a floppy drive? I ask this because I don't have one and I'm too lazy to go borrow one.

winflash.

for those with memory divider of 3/2 , 2/1 not working or wish to have another divider read this

RS482 Infinity by DFI and 3/2 memory ratio issues

i would like to thank ocztony for spending the time testing this board and finding a alternative solution to this problem

hope that this will help others as it is helping me

hugs

Jen

i just flahed to the 4/2/06 beta bios but it still says 3/21/06 in my bios and CPU-Z, what gives?

Same here. May be DFI likes that lucky date.

Dillusion said:
i just flahed to the 4/2/06 beta bios but it still says 3/21/06 in my bios and CPU-Z, what gives?

OK, new OC's on the beta Bios:

I can now do 300x9! yay! only 1.5v, 45c idle. ram at 200mhz 2-3-2 2.7v

running 3d right now while i go to the gym, be back later!

Wow, why so hot. I thought that was supposed to be a decent sink. Is the dfi temp monitoring fubarred?

I got my DFI RS482 like a couple days ago and is awaiting a new liberty 500 (coming in friday afternoon) before it gets stuffed into an sg01-evo with an opty 165 0608MPMW. As far as oc'ing goes, i've never really dabbled in it at all and would like to try it with this board. I've read through the manual and the oc'ing options appear a bit over whelming. I've also read through eclipse's oc'ing guide in the amd section. Now heres the question; is the oc'ing guide suffcient enough to oc this board correctly? or, is there more info i need before i ruin it with a bad oc?

here's whats going in:
opty 165
liberty 500w
G.Skill ddr500hz
thermaltake blue orb II
seagate 7200.9 160gb

If you have the Opteron 165 CCB1E 0608 like I have, it is a overclock wonder but it runs HOTTer than other 165s. I am in the process of getting a Artic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro and a Ninja with 120mm fan to cool this one down.

see my other tread
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1043186

Mine can run at 2.83ghz (315fab x9) at stock voltage (1.35v). If you have the fsb set at 300+, then use memory divider like 6/5 which would have your memory run at stock 250mhz (ddr500). Later on, you may want to run with 11/10 divider which would run your memory at 280mhz, it may work.

Calpis said:
I got my DFI RS482 like a couple days ago and is awaiting a new liberty 500 (coming in friday afternoon) before it gets stuffed into an sg01-evo with an opty 165 0608MPMW. As far as oc'ing goes, i've never really dabbled in it at all and would like to try it with this board. I've read through the manual and the oc'ing options appear a bit over whelming. I've also read through eclipse's oc'ing guide in the amd section. Now heres the question; is the oc'ing guide suffcient enough to oc this board correctly? or, is there more info i need before i ruin it with a bad oc?

here's whats going in:
opty 165
liberty 500w
G.Skill ddr500hz
thermaltake blue orb II
seagate 7200.9 160gb

Calpis said:

here's whats going in:
opty 165
liberty 500w
G.Skill ddr500hz
thermaltake blue orb II
seagate 7200.9 160gb

The DFI has LOTS of memory timings options, and some weird OC options like 'DLL overwrite value' with 'low' or 'high'....its supposed to improve you OC, i havent tried it yet tho abnd im running at 300fsb.

Xaeos said:
Now I wonder...

Has anyone run Linux on this thing? The ATI chipset makes me wary...

recently got this motherboard, tried to install gentoo. had to boot up w/ kanotix64 the gentoo live wouldnt start. got it installed. tried to boot. it loads the spash screen off grub, but cannot mount the root off a sata drive. sooo i had to pick up an IDE from bbuy. or you can use a pci sata controller.
the sound is supose to work, but ive not gotten a chance to try it yet.

I just received this board and have it set up, first power on I'm getting a 1 second beep with 2 seconds in between. No video signal out, using onboard VGA connector.

This is all new stuff, can someone troubleshoot me? Things I've checked: 115v/230v switch on psu, reseated ram, checked all devices have power, cpu fan is plegged into cpu fan port on mobo, 24 and 4 pin power cords are both connected. Looking through manual on page 66 I see Standby Power LED (between PCIe slots) is on as red even after hitting power button. There seems to not be a DRAM Power LED as shown in the manual.

Any ideas? I'm an experienced builder and I'll start swapping parts out of another system (groan) over the weekend to isolate the issue, but I'm wondering if there are any oddities to this board. Thanks.

DFI RS482 Infinity
3700+
Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu
2x512mb Patriot RAM
Rosewill 400w psu
BenQ DVD burner
80gb Seagate 7200.9
Coolermaster Ceturion 541

i put everything together and it seems like ive run into a little snag. seems like i cant post past 248 fsb. i tried the original bios, the official bios, and the beta bios with nothing posting past 248. i left everything stock and tried, dropped my multi to 5x, and upped my volts to 1.4 with nothing posting. any ideas?

248 should be a walk in the park for this board. Try:

Manually set HTT to 4x (I don't trust auto)

Up NB voltage to 1.4, SB to 2.0

Memory at loosest timings and 6/5 ratio

Disable Cool n Quiet

See if that helps to start.

Dennis

This board seems to report temps wrong. Mine says 35 right after boot, and never goes over 42. So I assume there's a temperature offset.

Mine is stock, and fails to detect my SATA hard drive on bootup, so I have to go into the CMOS and do 'auto detect' every time, which is a PITA.

I don't have a floppy drive to update my BIOS.

this board looks like a winner.

put this in a silverstone TJ08....and you have a great mATX setup....hhhmmmm.

Robisoda said:
248 should be a walk in the park for this board. Try:

Manually set HTT to 4x (I don't trust auto)

Up NB voltage to 1.4, SB to 2.0

Memory at loosest timings and 6/5 ratio

Disable Cool n Quiet

See if that helps to start.

Dennis

the onboard wouldnt display at x4 or x4.5 or couldnt post since i couldnt tell. possibly a bad board?

Back