DirectX 10 (WGF 2.0): Longhorn goes Next-Gen... HARD!

i believe the requirements i remember hearing something that gates said about the requirments being big but will be what is standered in 3 years.

Sticking to XP until it's not supported by games and stuff anymore. In 3 years you could run games twice as fast in xp than in longhorn. Why waste all that memory and crap on a os.

does microsoft really expect people to rush out and buy their os and all this new hardware right away?

surely this adoption of a new os will take large lengths of time

Jesus_Faction said:
does microsoft really expect people to rush out and buy their os and all this new hardware right away?

I know I am gonna get it when it comes out. I always do when the new OS comes out.

I cant wait for the Beta this summer :)

Jesus_Faction said:

Considering that there's still a lot of people that haven't switched to XP (2000 is still big in professional settings, from what I hear), I agree with you. It's going to be a long time before longhorn is big enough that it makes sense to taget it exclusively for any developer.

I(illa Bee said:
or it will reinstall features you remove... such as MSN...
they tried to do that in XP, to some extent...

i, for one, am not "up"grading. not any time soon, anyways. or at least not to longhorn. sounds like a load of BS to me.
<- add about 6k to that, the numbers are off

Torgo said:
Yes, I look forward to this feature being in full use for all of 24 hours before it is utterly crushed by hackers. If I were Disney et al, I would worry more about have content that's worth protecting, rather than protection that protects crap.

Or they will be like Epic and the UT03/04 game series where they had to release a patch with a NOCD exe in it to actually play the game since thier copy protection failed horribly. The fact they made it happen two times in a row is just sad. I hope to be fully converted to either MAC - Tiger or linux by then. To bad theres very little audio support for linux right now....

Would some of you guys take a second and listen to what you are saying.

Everytime something new and exciting happens in the PC world I have to listen to a bunch of people complain about how this is going to be crap, its never going to get of the ground and going to be an utter failure. And then guess what. OMG everyone goes out and buys it 2 weeks latter.

The fact is nearly everyone will be starving for a new OS come 2006-2007, and they are going to rush out in the thousands to buy longhorn. I expect microsoft to put millions and millions of dollars into marketing it and it will pay off within a year of it shipping.

I honestly cant see a single person on these forums not upgrading to it within a year of its release. (Except maybee Linux lovers)

Michael.R said:
I honestly cant see a single person on these forums not upgrading to it within a year of its release. (Except maybee Linux lovers)

:confused:

I, for one, don't upgrade to new OS'es nearly as fast as you imply. Why pay $100 for something when you have something else that works just as well?

I find it amusing that whenever a new mac os version or w/e comes out a lot of people are like "oooo cool i want it!" but then when a new version of windows is in question, even one that could be better possibly, many have the "omigosh this is teh suxorz!" mentality. :confused: lol

Or maybe the longhorn AI will take over and make us all into it's slaves ala "Skynet"?
(Getting this REALLY disturbing image of bill gates as a terminator...Aaaaack!)

roninblade said:
i believe the requirements i remember hearing something that gates said about the requirments being big but will be what is standered in 3 years.

so fucking what!!!
Do I really want an OS that takes the majority of my computer power!!!!
MS really should pull that elephants finger out of their ASS and actually code.

IF that is the kind of requirements it is looking at, they have some serious BLOAT issues, and if they have bloat they are going ot have secuirty issues!!!!

fuck-um

eeyrjmr said:
so fucking what!!!
Do I really want an OS that takes the majority of my computer power!!!!
MS really should pull that elephants finger out of their ASS and actually code.

IF that is the kind of requirements it is looking at, they have some serious BLOAT issues, and if they have bloat they are going ot have secuirty issues!!!!

fuck-um
Dude you need to chill the fuck out. Your hate for MS is just sickening, you've got a problem. If you even read the article u'd know that the os unloads all of the stuff when doing something system intensive. The funny thing is within 6mo to a year you will have upgraded. Unless ur one of those linux freaks who uses it just because they hate MS.

Michael.R said:

Everytime something new and exciting happens in the PC world I have to listen to a bunch of people complain about how this is going to be crap, its never going to get of the ground and going to be an utter failure. And then guess what. OMG everyone goes out and buys it 2 weeks latter.

The fact is nearly everyone will be starving for a new OS come 2006-2007, and they are going to rush out in the thousands to buy longhorn. I expect microsoft to put millions and millions of dollars into marketing it and it will pay off within a year of it shipping.

I'm not going to upgrade until I see some real fucking benefits. None of this crap helps me whatsoever.

It's the reason why I'm holding off my upgrade to 64bit.

I'm betting most of the stuff that guy wrote is crap, hopefully if its actually true we will get to see it in action in like a year or something, but I'll wait till I can actually see what it does to upgrade to it, if I do upgrade to it.

Michael.R said:

qft

Some of this looks really interesting, but I am not going to stand to TCPA/copyprotection built into the OS. Longhorn accessing and playing with my BIOS, deciding what to run and what not to, that is not okay by me. Its all well and good for there to be copy protection to some extent, but the second it inconviences me running a legit program or something similar (starforce anyone?) it has gone too far. Right now I only need to worry about how to get around specific instances, but if it was integrated into OS there'd be many more problems. What If I decide on a dual-boot linux system and linux doesn't happen to be on MS's "allow to boot up" list in the bios?

I don't like the idea of any OS dictating what is allowed to run on my machine.

alphaone said:
I find it amusing that whenever a new mac os version or w/e comes out a lot of people are like "oooo cool i want it!" but then when a new version of windows is in question, even one that could be better possibly, many have the "omigosh this is teh suxorz!" mentality. :confused: lol

thats because Mac lovers are like little kids with short attention spans, "OOOOO look something pretty!"

I for one just want a simple & reliable OS. I only just recently started switching my home PC's to XP from 2K...

Longhorn sounds cool...but having all that hardware just to run the OS is disturbing.

Xaeos said:
I don't like the idea of any OS dictating what is allowed to run on my machine.
QFMFT.

i'm forgot about this, actually. thanks for mentioning it. i'm surprised it took this long.

yup, i'm not doing longhorn at least until there is a non-TCPA version (legit or not, i don't care. i'll buy the thing and use the 'special' one if i have to) because i don't want that crap on my computer. it just isn't gonna happen.

i like being able to install software without microsoft's ok. i completely ignore the WHQL thing... and i have automatic updates disabled. it scares me when my computer does stuff i don't tell it to do.

and no, i'm not gonna be "up"grading within 1 year. i didn't get XP until it was well advanced with SP1, and that was an off-and-on thing for awhile. i tried it, didn't like it, went back to 2k for a time.

needing all that hardware, to run even basic word processing, is ridiculous. i can see no way that they will sell this to your average user who does email and word on their computer, other than putting it on the new machines.

also, i'm not ADHD enough (maybe a little, but w/e) to need to run 2 games, a movie, and a chat thing AT THE SAME TIME. when i'm running a game, that's what i do. i don't want to be able to run 2 games at the same time. or even 11 graphical applications. i don't work like that.

stopping software is a bad thing, IMO. what about distributed computing projects? will it see a high-usage program, and stop everything else? i just hope it doesn't try to stop winamp when a game starts... it would get uninstalled immediately if that happened. (on my machine, at least)

bah. i just don't see longhorn being a good thing. for anyone (except your eye-candy crowd)

i saw a quote that applies here... gameplay > eye candy. just replace gameplay with 'usability' and you've got my stance.

Michael.R said:

Really? I'm not a linux lover, and I won't upgrade until MS gets all the bugs out. In fact, I love windows xp - its imho the first windows os that DIDNT, to put it nicely, suckle the short curlys on my ballsack. And I didnt upgrade to XP for at least six months after its release - but I'm glad I did. There's a chance this will be the same way, although with all the DRM, I somehow doubt it.

The only people I can see "starving for a new OS" would be the early adopters, MS fans and people who don't know any better. Sure, I have to admit, it sounds nice - loading every possible system file into your computers 3GB of ram so it can crash faster - but xp works just fine for me. Get a grip.

Marketing is for braindead zombies and those who dont have the time nor patience to pay attention. Which category are you in?

Honestly, it sounds like a giant steaming pile of shit THAT I DONT NEED. I think that is the pertinent issue here - not marketing, not prior opinions of MS products, etc. I mean, cmon - 3d Desktop with 2GB (!!!) Textures? Wtf is THAT? The guy is saying over 80k people worked on it, hundred of man-years of labor and research are going into it, and you need a pig of a system to run it all? Yet perhaps a few hundred or few thousand people can work on something like this in *nix environments and it will run on a low end (by todays standards) system? Give me a break.

What about my office apps that I have now? I spent a lot on them, am I going to have to buy them again for LongHorn?

I refuse to believe this without supporting evidence. 16Mb cache on a HDD, minimum? Please.

jon_k said:
the intelligence to detect if it threads are insecure and fix the problems? lol this sounds like the matrix.

Like Skynet, Longhorn will unleash nuclear wrath upon 'errors between keyboard and chair?'

I dunno if I want that in my house... What if it gets together with the toaster oven and burns my house down when my roomate installs spyware on my HTPC?

rogue_jedi said:
also, i'm not ADHD enough (maybe a little, but w/e) to need to run 2 games, a movie, and a chat thing AT THE SAME TIME. when i'm running a game, that's what i do. i don't want to be able to run 2 games at the same time. or even 11 graphical applications. i don't work like that.

I have to confess that it's real nice to have two computers: Fullscreen game on one, browser and IM on the other. If they do this right, it could perhaps be somewhat useful.

you know when it states like a 4GHz cpu and 15k rpm hard drive, obviously prices are going to have to fall big time, esp. if this hits the mainstream market.

I see some of you people think that information is fake. But believe me, everyting you read in that article was said by Microsoft. It's up to them to make it happen.

Microsoft knows that this is going to be the hardest thing they've ever done. They aren't going to integrate WinFS, because there isn't enough time. People shouldn't criticize Microsoft this much. Microsoft is the best software development company in the world. If there's one company that can do this, it's Microsoft.

As you can see my article has been posted on a lot of hardware and software websites and the information has been confirmed by Dutch Microsoft employees in an interview I had with them 6 months ago:
Original: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=136813
http://www.warp2search.net/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=23558
http://www.slipstreamx.net/viewthread.php?tid=3149
http://forum.3dpixelnet.com/showthread.php?t=23304
http://forums.pcworld.co.nz/archive/index.php/t-57974.html
http://www.atrip.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7661
http://radeonbros.seesaa.net/article/3775409.html

This first was a school project, but I decided to do some more research and made this article.

Here are some websites with the same info:
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1791681,00.asp
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/video/longhorn.html

David16k said:
I see some of you people think that information is fake. But believe me, everyting you read in that article was said by Microsoft. It's up to them to make it happen.

Microsoft knows that this is going to be the hardest thing they've ever done. They aren't going to integrate WinFS, because there isn't enough time. People shouldn't criticize Microsoft this much. Microsoft is the best software development company in the world. If there's one company that can do this, it's Microsoft.

If you think it's fake, go here for some info:
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1791681,00.asp

OK read it and I see no mention of hardware requirements - so where did you get this from

David16k said:
Extreme minimum requirements:
1.6 GHz processor
512 MB memory
64 MB videocard
7200 RPM HD 16 MB cache

For the full experience:
4 GHz processor
3 GB memory
1 GB videocard with WGF 2.0 support
15000 RPM HD 1 GB flash memory:

I wouldn't say MS are the best software company in the world (Oracle maybe, best business model yes!)

i dont have a problem with MS some of windows is ok
just have a prob with all that bloat why should an OS take soo much RAM and CPU time!!! what if i want to (and i will be) use matlab i want as much CPU time as possible

eeyrjmr said:
OK read it and I see no mention of hardware requirements - so where did you get this from

I wouldn't say MS are the best software company in the world (Oracle maybe, best business model yes!)

i dont have a problem with MS some of windows is ok
just have a prob with all that bloat why should an OS take soo much RAM and CPU time!!! what if i want to (and i will be) use matlab i want as much CPU time as possible

I think people are missing the line in the original post of "you can dumb it down". You can say "I don't want frills"...you can say "I just want a solid OS". I do that right now with XP...it looks like win2k because I have EVERY pretty feature tuned off...no fades, no rounded edges, nothing. Microsoft is just offering with their next OS to either be balls to the walls or Joe Schmoe...all in same disc.

-tReP

Tiny said:
What about my office apps that I have now? I spent a lot on them, am I going to have to buy them again for LongHorn?

I was wondering this myself.

Everyone is going bonkers over this 3D interface and that they cant use it. Well guess what. Longhorn has more then one visual settings. Doesnt everyone remember that it was said that their would be a visual setting for low end computers and one for high end computers. If you dont want to use all your resources then you dont have to. As quoted from Paul Thurrott's site.
Not surprisingly, Longhorn build 5048 is visually a mix of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003, tossed together with a new Aero theme that is rendered, in this build, using XP-era technology and not the advanced Avalon-based UI we'll see in later builds (Figure).

Another thing a lot of you guys probably dont know about longhorn but, gasp, the sidebar is gone is build 5048. And yes its probably gone for good. So for all the complaining another things to stop eating up system resources.
The 4000-series Sidebar is gone in build 5048 and Microsoft corporate vice president Joe Peterson said it's probably gone for good.

A lot of people seem to be focusing on the negative aspects of longhorn and none of the positive aspects. Dont forget that eventually someone is going to find a way around all the stuff you guys hate via registry hacks.

Some of the things you guys can try out this summer and may like would be the new RSS support. According to the forums on the MSDN website a beta for IE7 and Longhorn are due in August. But get this not just anyone will be allowed to beta test Longhorn (Beta 1).
Longhorn Beta 1 will be targeted at Microsoft's select group of beta testers, most of whom previously beta tested Windows XP/2000 and Windows Server 2003. Unlike the alpha releases, which were designed primarily for developers, Longhorn Beta 1 will be accessible to Microsoft's PC maker, hardware, and software partners, Microsoft MVPs, and the like. It will also be made available to users through MSDN Professional and up, TechNet, and potentially to attendees of developer-oriented trade shows such as WinHEC 2005, TechEd 2005, and/or Professional Developers Conference (PDC) 2005.

Like all Longhorn releases, Longhorn Beta 1 will be distributed on DVD (and not CD), and will be downloadable by testers in ISO format. Only the Longhorn Premium Edition will be made available to testers in the Beta 1 timeframe, Microsoft reports. English, German, and Japanese languages will be available.

Most people on these forums wont be allowed to try longhorn out untill Beta 2 which is rumored to be October-December 2005

There are going to be 7 different version of longhorn shipping in both 32bit and 64bit versions. (But things are still yet to change)

Back to the visual interface portion of Longhorn. There will be two different versions. Aero Glass (which is meant for high end PC) and Aero Express (which is meant for low end) Aero Express look similar to the Aero Glass interface but without all the extra do dads. (It is more or less Windows XP with different looking icons) And there is also one more interface for big corporations that are stuck in the old age with windows 2000. Longhorn will have an option to make the UI look exactly like windows 2000. A lot more is supposed to be explained in Beta 1 and 2. Howevor from what I understand the different look of the operating systems has just as much to do with "taste to the eyes" as it does to functionality and usability.

Another thing about longhorn is the security is supposed to work a lot like that of Windows XP with service pack 2.

The point im trying to get across to you guys is that a lot of you are missing out on some of the facts and are making a decision based on one post. (atleast is seems that way to me)

Why dont you go and get some of the facts for yourself and then come back and make some posts.

And im tired of writing so ya. I want to go play counter strike source.

Those hardware requirements aren't official. They are just speculations that started after Microsoft's Avalon demonstration.

Longhorn could be used as a software development OS and thats why Microsoft improved the posibilities drastically. If you have a slow system you'll still be able to handle Longhorn with ease, because there are different quality settings.

Whats the point of discussing the requirements of development computers? You don't have to worry about not being able to run Longhorn.

I wrote this article because of the innovations Microsoft WANTS to integrate.

I just can't wait to see what they will release 14-17 months from now.

Whatever to all this. Windows 3.11 all the way.

I actually didn't upgrade to XP until about a year and a half ago.

I get bad vibes from Microsoft. They're like the ATM machine in the mall that no one really trusts.

I'd rather put my money in a lockbox in my house, then deal with their sketchy toast.

"Longhorn will be the most stable OS ever."

:rolleyes:

[Sorry if this has been mentioned before - I read that and had to post . . . immediately.]
Edit - I see that I was beaten by four pages :p .

David16k said:

Ah, I see. If you're presenting the OP as what Microsoft *wants* to include, great. It just sounded like most of your post was set in stone. Good luck to 'em, some of the features sound worth having.

I do remember Apple touting "true multithreaded OS!!11one!!" a year or two before OS8 came out, so I'll hold judgement until a street release.

HHunt said:
I have to confess that it's real nice to have two computers: Fullscreen game on one, browser and IM on the other. If they do this right, it could perhaps be somewhat useful.
i do that too... of course, with dual monitor, i can do it just fine on XP. i just switched from 2 machines to 1 because my current desk doesn't have enough space for 2 keyboards/mice on it (so i VNC to the other box now)

i'm not saying that is a bad thing. but to call it a useful feature that you can play 2 games at the same time?

right.
David16k said:

judging by what they've got now vs. what they wanted to have 14-17 months ago, it will be about the same as windows 98:rolleyes:

winfs, anyone? oh that's right. we can't make it work right, so we'll concentrate on making the OS look pretty instead of function well.

functionality > eye candy.

TheSpook said:
"Longhorn will be the most stable OS ever."

:rolleyes:

Haha, funny joke. Longhorn will come out at the end of 2007 and will get beat again by Mac OSX Leopard or heck, even the release after that! Microsoft's OSs have always been pretty crappy IMO (I've had every OS version since DOS 6.0) and I don't have much respect for them. At least they do one thing right, make consoles :D

six_storm said:
Haha, funny joke. Longhorn will come out at the end of 2007 and will get beat again by Mac OSX Leopard or heck, even the release after that! Microsoft's OSs have always been pretty crappy IMO (I've had every OS version since DOS 6.0) and I don't have much respect for them. At least they do one thing right, make consoles :D
You don't have much respect for them and diss them, but you've had every OS they've offered since DOS? That's a double negative.

That looks pretty darn awesome if they can pull it off. Won't it be out around X-Mas 06? That's when I plan to build my next PC.

Back