DirectX 10 (WGF 2.0): Longhorn goes Next-Gen... HARD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny
What about my office apps that I have now? I spent a lot on them, am I going to have to buy them again for LongHorn?
Tiny said:
I was wondering this myself.

You two aren't the only ones. I too was wondering about that.

Obi_Kwiet said:
That looks pretty darn awesome if they can pull it off. Won't it be out around X-Mas 06? That's when I plan to build my next PC.

October 2006 is said to be the release for the public.

Release candidate 0 is February 2006

Release candidate 1 is April 2006

And to you people wondering about office apps, im positive that they would work on Longhorn if they work on Windows XP.

six_storm said:
Haha, funny joke. Longhorn will come out at the end of 2007 and will get beat again by Mac OSX Leopard or heck, even the release after that! Microsoft's OSs have always been pretty crappy IMO (I've had every OS version since DOS 6.0) and I don't have much respect for them. At least they do one thing right, make consoles :D

You apparently despise them just enough to make fun of them, but not enough to move to Linux. Weird.

P.S. This article of yours (OP) would've been much better received if you didn't include the "speculative minimum requirements." The fact that you included the cache size of the hard drive indicates that you were merely thinking up the highest specs you could think of to make us go, "Wow, that's so next-gen!" What is the installer going to do, detect that my primary hard drive only has 8MB of cache and abort? :rolleyes:

I bookmarked this a long time ago and I just read it. Sounds like Vista will be a huge step up from XP. And I thought this would just be a rehashed XP since they seemed to have scraped a lot of the features that were talked about a year ago.

I have never been enthusiastic about buying an OS the day it comes out but I am for this one. Hopefully I can find it for $140 like I can XP Pro of today.

mastercheeze said:
wha? all of this so we can have a pretty desktop?

i have to admit its too early to tell...but from this prelim look, you can count me out. I'll stick with my xp, thanks.

Is that what you said when you had 98 and 2000 came out, or when you had 2000 and xp came out?

So many haters. Everyone is bitching about security but one of the main reasons MS has this problem is because all the "l337 haxors" hate microsoft. Their reasons may be legit but I'm sure if there was enough scrutiny on linux your any other OS for that matter it would have the same problems. I will reserve judgement until it's final releaed but I think MS learned there lesson with ME came back strong with XP and will continue with Vista.

Cardboard Hammer said:
It probably just means it'll uninstall itself. :p

ROFL gud one :D

actually i once visited a village which decidely believe that any kind of 'horn' would bring them bad luck or any other unfortunate events. it wasn't just normal superstition they were just paranoid with it [maybe they had experienced somehting?]
but anyway implementing the same kind of reasoning - long horn - bad luck - 'long' bad luck...

Alot of these features sound like fluff that most users will disable after the new wears off.

Who needs a 3d fricken desktop anyways? Am I supposed to fight a fuckin CyberDemon to launch my most expensive piece of software or something?

Pft.

Longhorn will be teh same with XP, which will be the same as 98, and 95.

Filled with alot of bunk and fluff that most people disable because thats all it is, useless fluff that steals precious resources and does shit you don't want it to do.

I would like to hear more about the unbloated setting in the new Vista. XP is decent when you have most of the services and backround stuff turned off. Its just a bitch once in a while because you come across a program that needs something turned back on for installation and what not. I hope that I will be able to install the Vista on my current machine, and turn off all the eyecandy to end up with better over all performance than I have with XP.

Isaacav2 said:
I would like to hear more about the unbloated setting in the new Vista. XP is decent when you have most of the services and backround stuff turned off. Its just a bitch once in a while because you come across a program that needs something turned back on for installation and what not. I hope that I will be able to install the Vista on my current machine, and turn off all the eyecandy to end up with better over all performance than I have with XP.

Thats why you set the services you don't need to manual, So any program that needs them can initiate it

Spiff1333 said:
if there was enough scrutiny on linux your any other OS for that matter it would have the same problems.
actually, there is. it is even easier to find potential holes in linux because it is open source... so they have to make sure there aren't any *before* they release it.

there's also a reason kernel.org has 2 gigabits of bandwidth (based on most recent update)... they need it cause people with linux actually patch their stuff.

i think you're right though, this will be a wait-and-see kind of thing.

What I like seeing is all the trolls on here trashing Microsoft even before they released the OS. And from the comments, we have a lot of people who think they know the Microsoft OS's but really fall short.

I for one, welcome the new OS. I hope the revolutionize the industry and I hope MS lives up to the promises. One thing people have to realize through, OS promises are like presidential election promises. They sound all good and pretty, but only about 25% will be completed.

I'm sick of seeing the same crap from all the different linux distro's. I love their functionality with servers but they still lack hardcore as desktop clients.

And no need to compare Mac OS's. They're the handicap kid being mentioned for that feel good publicity.

So there will no longer be a difference between cards except for speed but you need to have a WGF 2.0 supported card? Are there any WGF 2.0 supported cards out? Would longhorn do shit for an x800xl or only the once again WGF 2.0 supported cards?

Komataguri said:
Thats why you set the services you don't need to manual, So any program that needs them can initiate it
Or just do not turn them off in the first place. It is so ridiculous that people actually tweak windows to gain a whole 2% performance boost. Certainly not worth it to me.

Staples said:
Or just do not turn them off in the first place. It is so ridiculous that people actually tweak windows to gain a whole 2% performance boost. Certainly not worth it to me.

Well not everyone can afford uber fast super machines in which that 2% won't matter to much on. :rolleyes:

Certainly sounds interesting. But it'll be a couple years yet before I'll be using it. I typically wait until the first service pack comes out before I change to a new Microsoft OS. To my recollection WinXP SP1 came out almost a year after it's release. So going with that track record and even if it comes out a year from now (likely later), it's going a be a while before I'll be seeing it on any of my machines.
The way the video card companies are going I would think it a safe bet to see a 1 gig video card within a year.

hmm the MS office apps work on my longhorn im sure it will work on the final release version...

errrrr ill shut up now...

Windows Longhorn will probably be released in the second half of 2006.

Extreme minimum requirements:
1.6 GHz processor
512 MB memory
64 MB videocard
7200 RPM HD 16 MB cache

For the full experience:
4 GHz processor
3 GB memory
1 GB videocard with WGF 2.0 support
15000 RPM HD 1 GB flash memory
Ok, we are in the second half of 2005 and 512MB GFX cards are rare. How is there going to be a GB card next year? Also, there is not a single 4GHz Processor that you can buy now. From what i remember, there will not be one by 2H06 either, since Intel has canned the 4GHz Prescott.

Additionally, there are exactly two consumer level HDDs with 10K rpm, both of which could be considered 1st gen. There are no near future plans for 15K rpm consumer level HDDs, since there isn't even a second manufacturer with 10K drives. And I really doubt that the 1st gen HDDs are going to have a GB of flash, since that would still raise prices significantly and we all know that disk drive margins are razor thin.

David16k said:
If you want to play a game Longhorn will disable every component of your computer that isn't needed by the graphical interface and unloads the Windows Desktop (it's like running a game in MSDOS).
To me this is the most important thing about longhorn

Selecter said:
Screw all that. OS X for me. 1GB video card?!?!?

im sure there jsut around the cornor, and im sure we will even seen low end 512mb 7200 cards or something like that....

Finally something that makes use of our most expensive peice of [H]ardware other than games...

I(illa Bee said:
im sure there jsut around the cornor, and im sure we will even seen low end 512mb 7200 cards or something like that....

Finally something that makes use of our most expensive peice of [H]ardware other than games...
That makes sense, because the 7800GTX just came out, and it was a 256MB card that costed $600 at retail. Yup. Just around the corner.

finalgt said:
That makes sense, because the 7800GTX just came out, and it was a 256MB card that costed $600 at retail. Yup. Just around the corner.
Slow memory is cheap, 1200MHz DDR3 is very expensive. They can always use slow DDR. If it is on the video card, it will still perform a hellava lot better for video than if all the system had was same speed system memory.

Staples said:
Slow memory is cheap, 1200MHz DDR3 is very expensive. They can always use slow DDR. If it is on the video card, it will still perform a hellava lot better for video than if all the system had was same speed system memory.
Not to go too far OT: You know why TC cards were introduced, right? To save money on RAM and sell cheap cards. Why then would nVidia and ATi do a 180 and go towards integrating tons of _expensive_ ram on their cards? i still call bs on the specs.

But if they did some kinda striping to the basic DDR, like RAID, stripping the data over 2 sets of ram...Would that not double the read effective read write time for the old DDR. Sure, it won't perform as good as GDDR3, but still.

Komataguri said:
But if they did some kinda striping to the basic DDR, like RAID, stripping the data over 2 sets of ram...Would that not double the read effective read write time for the old DDR. Sure, it won't perform as good as GDDR3, but still.
You would have very inconsistant benchmarks but I guess that is an idea.

I am certainly not saying that 1GB of 400MHz DDR on your video card will be anywhere as fast as DDR3 1200MHz but it could at least be provided for less than $1000. I also believe that there is no way Vista alone will even require more video memory than 128Mb.

That entire post was a complete crock of shit. Its all ridiculous speculation in trying to guess the trends in hardware and making the future operating system match. The screenshots i've seen thus far do not even suggest much of the original post's wild claims. It looks like a warmed over XP, which was just a warmed over Windows 2000. After you strip out the annoying interface from Windows XP, there truly is not much different from Windows 2000. Its going to have a bunch of fancy features that will be either hit or miss. All of the features in Windows is mimicing Mac OSX which is kinda sad.

For those of you gamers not in the IT field, read that post again, then tell me that Microsoft would make that product with little to no chance in selling it to corporate because it would force them to upgrade all their cheap, integrated graphics pcs? Feh. This is day dreaming. At most you'll see some scalabiltiy for higher end machines.

Some of the features like process unloading may very well be added, but what processes are you going to unload? Especially if you are playing online, most of the processes are going to be needed. The only added processes are those from shit tastic software loading everything on startup for "quicker" access. Its bloat, my msconfig file is free of it. My only processes are my AV and windows processes, everything else i edit out of the registry, configure on install or edit the msconfig file.

In short, there is truly nothing spectacular in the original post that's believeable. Its all stinktastic speculation, the current 512Mb cards show no improvement over the 256 Mb ones, there would be at least two years to get to a useable 1Gb vid card that would fulfill the "full experience". Pure hogwash.

Staples said:
You would have very inconsistant benchmarks but I guess that is an idea.

I am certainly not saying that 1GB of 400MHz DDR on your video card will be anywhere as fast as DDR3 1200MHz but it could at least be provided for less than $1000. I also believe that there is no way Vista alone will even require more video memory than 128Mb.

How would it be inconsistant?

No more inconsistance than cards now, I should say.

Nasty_Savage said:
That entire post was a complete crock of shit. Its all ridiculous speculation in trying to guess the trends in hardware and making the future operating system match. The screenshots i've seen thus far do not even suggest much of the original post's wild claims. It looks like a warmed over XP, which was just a warmed over Windows 2000. After you strip out the annoying interface from Windows XP, there truly is not much different from Windows 2000. Its going to have a bunch of fancy features that will be either hit or miss. All of the features in Windows is mimicing Mac OSX which is kinda sad.

For those of you gamers not in the IT field, read that post again, then tell me that Microsoft would make that product with little to no chance in selling it to corporate because it would force them to upgrade all their cheap, integrated graphics pcs? Feh. This is day dreaming. At most you'll see some scalabiltiy for higher end machines.

QFT. There is absolutely no functional purpose in having a texture-laden desktop to slow down your computer. In order for a new operating system to be successful, it has to convince developers that there is enough of a market for that OS that making applications for it is worthwile. The sales of an OS is found in the number of devs who support it, NOT in the its actual performance.

Besides, itll be at least 2 years after release before we see any LH-only games. XP hasn't reached it's limit yet. Game on :)

Nasty_Savage said:
You win.

I remember MS statements that a 9800xt will run aero glass perfectly. This new thing is a bunch of shit.

Back