display dark colors- S-IPS weakness?

k1mch1

n00b
this is the original image:
ssslmi0.jpg

you can get the full size image here:
http://www.zshare.net/image/calmafterthestorm1680x1050-jpg.html

i saw the images displayed in 2007wfp from this thread: Dell 2007WFP Has Arrived

PIP.jpg

i notice the S-IPS panels distinguish dark colors poorly, the mountains on the right side are all black, cant see the reflection on the water, is it true that S-IPS panel is not so good at displaying dark colors?

or is this due to the camera, not so much of the lcd? thx./

Looks exactly the same on my FE2111SB as it does on my S-IPS 2005FPW.

I think you got yourself a S-PVA.

S-IPS should be the best type of LCD for displaying colors.

Look at this thread. Do you have a panel code of PM330 or UW473?

Looks the same on my nec 791sb as it does on my dell 2407wfp, samsung 193p/172t/910t. Can't test the 2001fp until tomorrow since that monitor is in someone else's bedroom. Maybe tinker with the brightness/contrast/gamma on the monitor and your videocard software until you get a better result?

Looks like an uncalibrated monitor is some seriously messed up contrast/gamma/digital vibrance settings. Some people like their monitors to display ridiculously inaccurate colors.

yes i have a 3 years old S-PVA Dell 1703FP, i am going to buy another one and i am not sure whether i should get a S-IPS panel if it cant distinguish dark colors, i watch a lot movie "dark" movies.

here is another picture between S-IPS and S-PVA:
032007wfpx2tb7zf8.jpg

no doubt S-IPS has much better color reproduction, from the pic PVA renders the dark colors in more detailed.

One thing ofcourse everyone knows that calibration can get atleast 10x-100x better picture out of projector. This is probably true also for monitors. Tools used maybe different for desktop than movies.

It took me around 50-100 hours to calibrate my projector. Some time of it was spend reading endless discussions in avsforum and other forums on net. Some using dve,getgrey,black white calibration dvd v2.0. Some watching movies and checking colors and skinstones etc.

Those mountains shouldn't be black on any panel. That's due to either the camera, or the person likes high contrast and set it that way. It shouldn't be anywhere near that bad.

As for the side-by-side picture, dark colors are lighter on the S-PVA monitor because that picture was taken at an angle, and PVA panels wash out at an angle.

It's true that dark colors are a little easier to distinguish on PVA panels, but part of the reason for that is because PVA panels wash out at the slightest angle, which makes dark colors easier to see. That's not a good thing.

In general contrast ratio of S-PVA panel is better than S-IPS but colors on S-IPS are better. Atleast thats what recent numbers from calibration equipment show.

k1mch1 said:
this is the original image:
ssslmi0.jpg

you can get the full size image here:
http://www.zshare.net/image/calmafterthestorm1680x1050-jpg.html

i saw the images displayed in 2007wfp from this thread: Dell 2007WFP Has Arrived

PIP.jpg

i notice the S-IPS panels distinguish dark colors poorly, the mountains on the right side are all black, cant see the reflection on the water, is it true that S-IPS panel is not so good at displaying dark colors?

or is this due to the camera, not so much of the lcd? thx./

I have the same monitor and the original picture doesn't have the darkness in the mountain's reflection. So I think it's the camera.

I just went to Interfacelift and grabbed that wallpaper and put it on my 2007FPW (S-IPS) and Acer F-20 (S-IPS or P-MVA) and both look about the same and the mountains on the right have detail and are not black. Of course both monitors have been calibrated with my Spyder 2 colorimeter. I can tell by looking at that second pic..gamma and contrst are seriously out of whack. A little grayscale calibration would do wonders..

Back