Votes: 63 32.0%
  • What's a UPS?

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • UPS sucks, I use FedEx

Votes: 23 11.7%

• Total voters

therapy

Gawd
Just a quick question to settle a bet, figured I'd post it in here since you guys are all about power but wouldn't be as biased as a UPS-specific forum.

Thanks.

Yes

.... sorta. My desktop is mostly for gaming. I generally do my work on my laptop with it plugged in. So yeah if the power went out my machine would keep going :) A true UPS? No. Not on any of my desktops anyway. My home server has one, however. At work the entire DP level has backup power. When the power goes out you don't even notice unless you go up to another floor or look out the window at some other building without power heh.

It's saved me through quick outages and smoothed countless power hiccups.

It was something that I first used because my dad bought one for me.

I never understood the real value of one until last year when my school started suffering from daily brown-outs and power flickers. At that point I realized the true value of one, as my desktop could ride out this stuff no problem. From this point on I will always use one.

The first time you need it, it's paid for itself!

I used to have one.. till the college I was at stuck 120v through the ground line and fried it as well as the monitor I had at the time.

The UPS actually continued to work sorta for a while after that.. but the monitor filled the room with smoke and the dorm smelled like fried electronics for over a week.

I have never used one before but now im thinking about getting one. I'd like to spend less than $120 if possible.

APC 3000va rackmount ups
APC smart-ups 1000
APC back-ups 650

using ups on all my comps, 1 apc 850, and 2 cyberpower 1500

yes. not only my computers have them but my big screen tvs have them too.

I have 8 battery back ups in my house and 5 of them are in my room.

Nope. But planning on investing in a couple high end ups systems for all my computing needs and a Standby Generator :)

For a server yes of course, but for gaming rigs for god sake its not needed.

I use a Connext UPS and I wouldn't ever run my computer without it. I live in SoCal and not only is our electricity shitty here anyway, the older house I live in has notoriously bad wiring so I feel a UPS is really needed.

I have one on my bigscreen as well, heh.

Fedex all the way lol.

On a serious note I use UPS on my Q6600 comp. The rest is just on a regular strip with fuse.

For a server yes of course, but for gaming rigs for god sake its not needed.
I used to feel that way until i lost boatload of progress in a game due to brownout. ~$100 or so is totally worth have nice clean power for your pc.

I used to feel that way until i lost boatload of progress in a game due to brownout. ~$100 or so is totally worth have nice clean power for your pc.

Hmm i dont know about the US but accross the pond the power is really stable.

Hmm i dont know about the US but across the pond the power is really stable.

It depends where you live, in my new house the power is nice and clean and interruptions are very very rare, but at work (30 miles away) power is really crappy we get brownouts almost every day sometimes 2-3 times a day, every computer there has a ups.

we get brownouts almost every day sometimes 2-3 times a day, every computer there has a ups.

Thats allmost unheard of in the county i live in. Ive never really experienced brownouts in the uk atall come to think of it.

Voted no b/c never used ups, but I would try it if I had to send something.

One for each computer and one for each TV and Surround system. Be sure to get one with a good filtering system and surge protection as well. You might even be surprised at how many less BSODs you will see and the pictures on the TV’s are noticeably better.;)

yep! APC BX1300LCD
APC Back-UPS XS 1300 with LCD

for all those people that are saying no, i HOPE you guys r using at least a surge protector. ma's pc died recently after a power outtage. power went out, pc never came back on.

If you are at college or know an IT department, keep your eye out for UPS they throw out.
Most places I have worked will throw out an UPS when the battery dies.
Its great for me, I have 3 working UPS now that only needed a new battery :)

just picked up a 1500va apc and put my 900va as my secondary ups.

what do u mean by secondary UPS? what do u have it connected to? what do u have connected to it?

If you are at college or know an IT department, keep your eye out for UPS they throw out.
Most places I have worked will throw out an UPS when the battery dies.
Its great for me, I have 3 working UPS now that only needed a new battery :)

The majority of those units will also need to be recalibrated as well.

Thats allmost unheard of in the county i live in. Ive never really experienced brownouts in the uk atall come to think of it.

No power outages in the UK? Not from my experience. You may not notice voltage drops as much since you are running 230v and all power supplies sold in the UK have to have APFC but brownouts occur as do power outages.

what do u mean by secondary UPS? what do u have it connected to? what do u have connected to it?

my LCD and pc and lamp are connected only to the main ups while everything else I have around is connected to the second ups.

Back