Doom 3 on 110" Screen with 7.1 audio

It is pretty neat, I only had a bit of time to play with it over my lunch hour, but that was long enough to run a composite feed over to it and splash the matrix across an entire wall of my apartment.

Lot of work tonight rearranging existing HT gear, furniture, etc. :D

not down with the so called 1337, so ive no idea how to attach images to these posts.

is there no way to do it without uploading the images somewhere else and linking them in?

pez

eastvillager said:
It is pretty neat, I only had a bit of time to play with it over my lunch hour, but that was long enough to run a composite feed over to it and splash the matrix across an entire wall of my apartment.

Lot of work tonight rearranging existing HT gear, furniture, etc. :D

I'm sorry, did you say composite? EEW! Dood you need to run a component cable. Unless thats what you meant to say...

plink said:
Yes you will need powerstrip. The reason why I don't use it, is because my projector sends out a signal over dvi to the computer that tells it to run at 1280x720. Not all tvs and projectors do this though. And it doesn't always work. Sometimes when I boot up my computer it decides to use analog instead of digital. I have to keep rebooting until it uses the dvi digital signal. If anyone knows how to force an ati card to always boot in dvi let me know.

ATI and dual monitors is not the greatest.. but what i found is to log as local administrator, create a profile with your DVI settings, select this profile and reboot the computer. When windows boots, it should always select this profile.

eastvillager said:
Can you provide a link to those scare stories? The bulb will degrade over time, but that is just a matter of adjusting your brightness accordingly throughout the life of the bulb. The lcd panels in the players themselves, though, shouldn't appreciably degrade. They're not lit in the same way as a desktop/laptop lcd, if those are what your stories are about, fyi.

DLP has its own issues. If you do go DLP, make very sure you can watch the projector in question for a couple hours before buying it, either via a demo, or somebody who already owns one. There are a few people out there who get headaches from DLP. I don't think there are near as many as some concerns would have you believe, but you don't want to find out you're one after the fact.

It's not to do with the bulb, but the color degradation of the LCD.

http://www.avvideo.com/2003/04_apr/features/long_live_dlp.htm

Apparently it's based off a study using anonymous brands, I guess one could confirm it by finding a better source. Maybe you can have LCDs that don't have this problem.

Yeah, I'm aware DLP has issues like rainbow effect, but that is minimised with fast wheels and it's either due to fast motion on screen or your eye scanning across it fast (I'm not sure). Frankly, the issue for me is the price (simpler design, higher price!). I should really check one out yes, although to benefit from seeing demos I'd really want them to be demoing a modern first-person game too, I really have no idea whether there are higher requirements on the projector for displaying games than for simply showing movies (example, goes back to the fps question or the rainbow effect since games with fast action might suffer more).

You mentioned about adjusting the brightness to extend lifetime. It seems some brands like Benq (at least on the PE8700) force you to swap out the bulb at 2000 hours (even if it could last longer!). At least that's the impression I got from a review and pretty much the only thing that puts me off the Benq. Seems a bit odd that they do that, but it's probably how they earn money.

The projectors in that test were run continuously for 4000 hours... heh. I wonder how often they replaced the filters.

I'm trying to figure exactly how I want to setup my place. Right now, I've got it setup where the projected image(16:9) is 12 feet wide. Makes my 42" plasma look like a gameboy advance. I spent so much time just watching it, I never got around to hooking my sound system back up. Watched 5th element and matrix with no sound. :eek:

Oh yeah, I meant component.

The denon 2900 is connected to the projector via component(well, component, svideo, and composite, just to compare how the projector handles all 3), and the pc is hooked up via DVI. Even though the nvidia driver allows me to create custom resolutions, the one I really want to work isn't, so I'll probably try to find my old powerstrip regkey from the last time I used an HTPC(soon as progressive-scan dvd players were available, I stopped using HTPC, since I didn't need custom resolutions/timings).

Denon 3910 should be available in September, I'll upgrade and connect it via hdmi, reserving the component input for the 4802, which I'll feed component from the xbox/gc/ps2.

Hi Anyone know which is the best projector for playing games/home cinema?
Both are the same price so which do i get?
Thanx

Let's stick with computer stuff shall we?

If computer stuff are like sink hole to your bank account, HIFI stuff will be like blackhole to your bank account.

You'd need to take 2nds on your house just to finance that HIFI "Hobby". Look away. Don't click hometheater forum link.

i heard someone say that if you paint your walls will Behr "Silver Screen" (770e-2) paint that it works really well and you don't need a screen

anybody heard of this?

Yeah.... don't get a screen.. they're only designed to make the most out of your projector.

Hey, buy a Porche, and put all 14" donut/spare tires on it... that'll be about the same.. Not trying to thread crap here, but it's rediculous to do a system, and then stop one peice short of having it done well. GET A SCREEN!

cfetter79 said:
Yeah.... don't get a screen.. they're only designed to make the most out of your projector.

Hey, buy a Porche, and put all 14" donut/spare tires on it... that'll be about the same.. Not trying to thread crap here, but it's rediculous to do a system, and then stop one peice short of having it done well. GET A SCREEN!

Yeah, but if it looks as good as it does without a screen... well maybe he could live without it.

4keatimj said:
Yeah, but if it looks as good as it does without a screen... well maybe he could live without it.

I don't have a projector, just was thinking about one.. If you could save a grand, why not? :p

Was just wondering if anyone tried something like this

How is the text on a projector? Can you surf the web and read e-mail? Or is it strictly for Movies/gaming/tv.

mjz_5 said:
I don't have a projector, just was thinking about one.. If you could save a grand, why not? :p

Was just wondering if anyone tried something like this

of course

i have a 16x9 screen that i made out of Black out cloth and 2x4's :) Cheap and it works. The 1k screens you speak off are from Stewart/Da-Lite or Vutec. They cost your first born but they are pretty spiffy :) Especailly the 4 way electromask screens.

johnked24 said:
How is the text on a projector? Can you surf the web and read e-mail? Or is it strictly for Movies/gaming/tv.

The text is awsome. Completely clear. I can stand outside my house and look in through the window and still read it perfectly. Its just as good as my monitor if not better. (better because of the size)

figgie said:
of course

i have a 16x9 screen that i made out of Black out cloth and 2x4's :) Cheap and it works. The 1k screens you speak off are from Stewart/Da-Lite or Vutec. They cost your first born but they are pretty spiffy :) Especailly the 4 way electromask screens.

I cant believe this post is still going... lol. Kewl. Anyways, I will definetely be getting a screen. I'll have one in about a month. I'll post some more/new pix when I get it.

Cheers All

plink said:
I cant believe this post is still going... lol. Kewl. Anyways, I will definetely be getting a screen. I'll have one in about a month. I'll post some more/new pix when I get it.

Cheers All

dude you started a mass exodus to the PJ world :)

though i think i mentioned this. my pj is crt based not digital based.

yeah, this post got me to look at projectors again. It was tough rearranging my apartment to fit one in, but I'm having a blast with the HS20 now that I've got most of my stuff setup again. Think the 42" plasma is gonna end up in the closet, heh.

I don't have a screen on my projector. I bought a panel of shower vinyl and cut it to the proportions I needed it to be at. It works great, and it is cheap!

Plink you're a hell of a salesman!
Thanks to this thread and this thread alone, I bought a z2 and it showed up today :D
In fact im posting with it right now :D

Cant wait to get my screen setup and the room all cleaned up, its gonna be niceee.

Cheers :)

ri0 said:
Plink you're a hell of a salesman!
Thanks to this thread and this thread alone, I bought a z2 and it showed up today :D
In fact im posting with it right now :D

Cant wait to get my screen setup and the room all cleaned up, its gonna be niceee.

Cheers :)

yo, yo, back again.... lol. anyways... Good to hear your happy with it. Post some pix of your setup once its finished. Looking forward to playing Halo 2, and Counterstrike source sure looks great on it.

figgie said:
time to dig this dfrmo the dead....

Hey plink

check out the new beta patch for Doom3.

Has widescreen support this time :)

http://www.3dgamers.com/dl/games/doom3/d3_1_05_beta.exe.html

RENDERING
- r_aspectRatio now uses 0, 1, or 2 (4:3, 16:9, 16:10)

Yes, Doom 3 definetely looks much better running true 1280x720. I was glad to see they added it on the first patch. Now I'm just waiting for the addition of 7.1 audio...

I would like to ask one question to something that is still plagueing me..

The Z2 can take a digital and anolog signal over its dvi connector, and because my computer outputs digital and anolog over its dvi connector, my computer doesn't always boot up in digital mode. Which makes me have to keep restarting the computer until it does. (which sucks as sometimes it takes like 5 reboots) Now obviously this could have been fixed if I had just bought a DVI-D cable instead of a DVI-I cable. But I needed the dvi-i for other things... Does anyone know of any ATI tweaks that can be done with the drivers or with windows so that it forces the video card to just send a digital signal only?

This would be such an easy thing to add to the catalyst drivers, basically if they would make an option under the 'displays' tab that would let you force the FPD display that would be good enough.

plink said:
I would like to ask one question to something that is still plagueing me..

The Z2 can take a digital and anolog signal over its dvi connector, and because my computer outputs digital and anolog over its dvi connector, my computer doesn't always boot up in digital mode. Which makes me have to keep restarting the computer until it does. (which sucks as sometimes it takes like 5 reboots) Now obviously this could have been fixed if I had just bought a DVI-D cable instead of a DVI-I cable. But I needed the dvi-i for other things... Does anyone know of any ATI tweaks that can be done with the drivers or with windows so that it forces the video card to just send a digital signal only?

This would be such an easy thing to add to the catalyst drivers, basically if they would make an option under the 'displays' tab that would let you force the FPD display that would be good enough.

what ati card are u using? i have a ati 8500 (soon to be aiw 9800) hooked up to a 61" DLP, and tried mai x800 via dvi and component (at the same time) with no issues.. and wat do u have hooked up to the vga connector?

I'll post pics once I get ahold of a camera and clean the room up a bit more, its not a home theatre room, its my bedroom. lol

As of right now i dont have a dvi cable, so im using a vga monitor cable with a dvi converter on the end, and the text seems just a tad blury, I'm hoping the dvi cable will solve this.

Another anoying thing, i got a deal on my projector $2000, but i just found out the catch is its straight outa japan. Which would be fine by me because its covered by the us warrenty, or so im told. However, instead of the 3 rca jacks where component video would normally be i have this weird jack. (D4 - Video (Component) it says. now ive taken a quick look around google this morning and i cant find any adapters. U know anything about this plink?

Thanks

plink said:
Lol.... thats actually 2" split loom tubing.... Inside is all my wires:

1x - 3 socket power extension cord
1x - DVI-I cable
3x - Component Cables (one cable for each signal)
1x - S Video Cable (for running older stuff like vcrs and such)
1x - Composite Cable (for playing life-size Super Mario on snes and N64) lol, basically just for the heck of it.

Well, i'm sure you probably know this already, but you really shouldnt run that power line anywhere near your other cables. Of coure I guess your limited in options. You will probably get some noise in your analog cables, but I don't know if it will have any effect on the dvi cable.

CyberCRAP said:
Well, i'm sure you probably know this already, but you really shouldnt run that power line anywhere near your other cables. Of coure I guess your limited in options. You will probably get some noise in your analog cables, but I don't know if it will have any effect on the dvi cable.

In theory you are right but in reality it won't affect him. The Z2 isn't drawing enough current to induce enough noise on the victim that you can meausure/see it. And yes, I know what I am talking about. I am an electrical engineer who deals with EMC issues on a weekly basis. If you still feel it will really affect him....I got some monster cables to sell you.

I own a Z2 (had it for over a year already). Heck the thread starter has the same case as me. The Z2 can be pick up for under $1400 now. I would personally recommend jumping on the new generation of PJ and snagging a Z3 or an AE700 (panasonic). They come in at just under $2k. The only bad thing about front projection is the need for light control otherwise your contrast goes to hell.

As for a screen. YOU DO NOT NEED ONE. The porsche analogy isn't correct. He didn't buy a porche. He bought a Chevy Mailbu in terms of projector quality. Its a good car...just nothing stellar. A white wall is the same as a white screen. White is white. A screen made of blackout cloth on a black wall is all he needs if you wants a "real" screen. Even a good screen on a white wall will be made moot because the reflections will trash the ansi constrast. It is what I use and does a superb job. Also remeber screens are passive...they really can't do much. The screen on the horizon that I might buy is sony new screen which has passive bandpass filters. Should significantly help with ambient light problems.

I have attached a pic of our almost finished HT (waiting on furniture and need to paint the rack).

ht_room1_forthread.jpg

-tReP

umm whats you address

and where the closest place to buy a belaclava near you ?

:p

actually forget that .. there is probably a t-1000 standing guard

bonkrowave said:
umm whats you address
and where the closest place to buy a belaclava near you ?
:p
actually forget that .. there is probably a t-1000 standing guard
omg thats awsome.....

aradeath said:
what ati card are u using? i have a ati 8500 (soon to be aiw 9800) hooked up to a 61" DLP, and tried mai x800 via dvi and component (at the same time) with no issues.. and wat do u have hooked up to the vga connector?

Hey dood. I have an ATI X800 XT PE. DVI-I

CyberCRAP said:

Yea I've heard that before, but I'm using it like this and there is absolutely no noise at all. I am using a separate heavy duty shielded coax cable for each of the 3 component signals.

But for those who uses projector, how do you type or read from other application software? If you were using WordPerfect, or Netscape, how can you read the pull down menu from several ft. away?

Text is perfectly clear, theres no reason you wouldnt be able to read the menus, with this projector anyways.
A few that ive used before have been readable too, but not perfect.

Happy Hopping said:
But for those who uses projector, how do you type or read from other application software? If you were using WordPerfect, or Netscape, how can you read the pull down menu from several ft. away?

Because each letter is more than an inch in height.

aradeath said:
hey.. got it running a 9800 pro aiw now.. boots component and dvi no problem..

Yea, that would work on mine too, except I'm not using component. Just DVI-I. And all I want is the digital signal to be sent through not the analog signal with it, as it is doing now. It sends both the analog and digital signals at the same time through the dvi-i cable, and then the projector just sometimes picks the wrong one. So that is why i just want to force the graphics card to just output a digital only signal. That way, the projector can't get mixed up and will only be able to choose the digital source.

plink said:
Yea, that would work on mine too, except I'm not using component. Just DVI-I. And all I want is the digital signal to be sent through not the analog signal with it, as it is doing now. It sends both the analog and digital signals at the same time through the dvi-i cable, and then the projector just sometimes picks the wrong one. So that is why i just want to force the graphics card to just output a digital only signal. That way, the projector can't get mixed up and will only be able to choose the digital source.

I think you may have to go with a digital only DVI cable (DVI-D) :( less headaches

i find it extremely sad that you are playing doom 3 on that monster of a rig. like DUDE! doom 3 has to be the boringest game out there!.

penis

Back