DoubleSight DS-263N - 26"

I wonder if the problem with wide gamut monitors displaying sRGB is really that big of a deal. I see more people say they enjoy their wide gamut IPS panels even with sRGB content than not. Also, the wide gamut monitors seem more future-proof than regular gamut ones although it's unclear if anything beyond sRGB will become commonplace in the lifetime of these current wide gamut displays.

As I stated some folks like oversaturated. So for many it may not be an issue but as the gamuts continue to increase at some point it will be bad even for the tasteless.;)

Future proof, nope. First off the only future proof monitor would be one that could support scRGB which is wider than the visible color spectrum of the human eye. No matter even comes close to that today or in the near future. Also as stated it, even if an in between color standard were adopted your current monitor is not display port, stuck on 8 bits, etc.

We don't really need general colorawareness but an OS fix to make sRGB the default gamut would solve the issue unitl scRGB or some inbetween standard becomes standard. I just haven't read anything about MS working on that but with monitors hitting the 117% gamut, I figure sometime before 150% its going to become a sales issue.

It reminds of people that put spoilers on Toyotas or maybe more like put a turbo charger on a riding lawn mower.:D

What are the differences other than size between the DS-263N and the DS-243N or DS-245W? Are the 24" monitors just as good?

kvcrawford said:
What are the differences other than size between the DS-263N and the DS-243N or DS-245W? Are the 24" monitors just as good?
They are completely different monitors. The DS-243N is TN, and the DS-245W is S-PVA. I don't think anything is similar.

Ah, I see. I'd rather have a 24" with all of the qualities/features of the DS-263N, but if there is no such thing then that's fine. Maybe Planar has something like that, since it has a monitor nearly identical to DS-263N, right?

Planar doesn't have a 24" IPS either. This is also what I want, but the only 24" IPS is NEC (and maybe Hazro if you are in Europe).

Just found out guys that my DS is going to be here Thursday. I'll be sure to post some impressions when it arrives. The anticipation, however, is killing me! :D

Hi, I am new here to HF. I have been reading a lot on the PX2611W and now the DS-263N.
So I am still waiting for the funds but wanted to introduce myself. BTW, IE "STILL" calls home so I stick with FF and Opera.

Well, after reading Toasty's latest, I found out why the manual doesn't match Doublesight's online product description and seems to be describing another monitor: because it is! Its the Planar manual! Thats why it claims the monitor is height adjustable when its not, and shows the wrong base: the drawings are of the PX2611W, not the Doublesight.

Its starting to look like this thing might be $699 for a reason. I wouldn't want to be the first one to try the warranty...but I'd still take it over any 24" PVA for the same price! :)

There is some truth to this, but there is also evidence that we're going to get more color-correct programs at there. Firefox 3 Beta, for instance, is one such example.

Yeah which'll be great for surfing the 3 websites with color-correct images on the internet.

I just found out something interesting. The label in the back says "MANUFACTURE : PCBANK21 CO.,LTD." That's a Korean display manufacturer.

This is their site: http://www.pcbank21n.com/

At the bottom-right, there's a link to DoubleSight's site.

Then I found this: http://english.etnews.co.kr/news/detail.html?id=200705310009

"PCBANK21 (CEO Kim Ki-Sun, www.pcbank21n.com) announced on 30th that it purchased a monitor company, DoubleSight Displays (www.doublesight.com) through U.S office `PCBANK.inc` by Purchase of assets and Assumption of liabilities (P&A) type."

Apparently, PCBANK21 owns DoubleSight.

PCBANK21 has two 26" models: http://www.pcbank21n.com/wizmart.php?code=003210

The PBM-F260P is the same as the DoubleSight.
The PBM-F260W is the same as the Planar.

Now we know where they came from.

ToastyX,

I've been watching your work for a couple of days...great job on the investigative stuff. You've answered a lot of my questions. I'm trying to find a 24+ just for photo editing and obviously the S-IPS is what I'd like to have. Your posts have been spot on. Thanks

Keith

Thats still not the same as the Planar stand. It does look like the same head, minus the huge molded "PLANAR" across the back of the case and the Planar logo on the front top center.

The only big difference I see between the two specs is the W says "H-IPS Panel" and the P doesn't. Does that mean the Planar is H-IPS and the Doublesight S-IPS? If thats the case, why do they list the same panel?

EDIT: The label on the back of the PX2611W is a Planar label with logo and the usual manufacturer info (address, web address, P/N, S/N, UL, etc.). It does not say where it was built.

I guess Planar opted to use a different stand. They both have the same panel. The 25.5" panel is always H-IPS. S-IPS is often used as a blanket term for IPS panels.

They have a bunch of 24" models, but they all seem to have S-PVA panels.

I wonder if the 3H hard coating is what makes it H-IPS. If so, they both have that according to the website. They look exactly the same, even the same specs, except for slightly different inputs.

I guess the NEC 2490 stands alone among 24" IPS panels.

So NEC questions. If you get the 2490 SV, with the hardware/software calibration package; Is there any software included to use the calibrator on other monitors? Or can you only use it to calibrate the NEC.

How good is the NEC 2490 out of the box? Do you really need the calibration sw/hw package if all you want is decently realistic colors?

Devo said:
I wonder if the 3H hard coating is what makes it H-IPS. If so, they both have that according to the website. They look exactly the same, even the same specs, except for slightly different inputs.
Both monitors are basically the same except for the inputs. The pixel structure is what makes it H-IPS: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1262785

Snowdog said:
So NEC questions. If you get the 2490 SV, with the hardware/software calibration package; Is there any software included to use the calibrator on other monitors? Or can you only use it to calibrate the NEC.
The SpectraView kit comes with the Eye-One Display 2 colorimeter. You can download the Eye-One Match software from xrite.com and use that to calibrate other monitors.

Snowdog said:
How good is the NEC 2490 out of the box? Do you really need the calibration sw/hw package if all you want is decently realistic colors?
It won't be perfect due to individual variations, but it's the only monitor where I was happy with the colors right out of the box.

I am looking for this ICC Profile to download sense I formated and lost it. Anybody know where to find it?

Yeah which'll be great for surfing the 3 websites with color-correct images on the internet.
Dan, that's not how color aware internet browsers work. They are not dependent on images having profiles. All images are displayed as sRGB by default unless their is an embedded color profile in which case it is respected.

Its possible that this will be come a necessary feature in browsers until a new standrad comes out. The problem today is FF is very buggy in its current state and the beta is even worse and of course most extensions don't work it either. Opera needs to implement this feature. That would leave IE alone again, following behind on internet standards as usual.:p

I just found out something interesting...

The PBM-F260P is the same as the DoubleSight.
The PBM-F260W is the same as the Planar.

Now we know where they came from.
Now that is some useful detective work.

some people here are, well, I wont say it. They think TNs are better the PVA panels. Sure most PVA have input lag, but besides that fact PVA look far superior.... They all wet over IPS panels, which I like as well, but the darn Planar and Doublesight are just way to bright..... My eyes are burning constantly :-\

Buy.com currently has it for

$680.99 with free shipping..

Combine that with the $20 off 80 Google checkout... hot deal?

Any reason I shouldn't hit the check out button for 660.99 shipped?

A 2.16 rating out of 10 on Resller Ratings from Buy.com. I pesonally have never ordered anything from them.

Link

I just got mine and am really happy with it so far. Played some games and it performs great. Ran a few tests patterns and don’t see any dead or stuck pixels. On a pure black background in darkened room the backlighting looks pretty even, definitely no spotlights from the corners syndrome.

The only negatives for me are the stand is not adjustable for height and where the plastic bezel frames the LCD panel the bottom bulges out a tad. You can only notice it if you put your nose close the screen and look down, just a minor cosmetic issue.

$660 is a great deal for it I think…I paid more with tax and shipping (Newegg) and I think it’s a keeper.

I just ordered it.... I have never had any problems with Buy.com, but my only concern is if I have to return/exchange it.

I am extremely picky about backlighting / dead pixels.. This is why I usually go Dell because of the hassle free exchange policy.

Toasty, et al.:

I've been seeing something odd with this monitor the last couple of days, and I'm wondering if it's just in my head or a typical scenario. It's hard to describe, but when I'm viewing an all-black background to check for BLB, there appears to be a shifting sort of "glow" when I'm viewing off-center. When viewed directly in front of the display, it appears to put out little if any BLB. But viewed off-center, there can be a sort of glow, emanating from the corner -- either corner depending on the angle.

I know I'm not describing this particularly well, but anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Back