E2200HD Review, Part I

tml09

n00b
I was chosen to review the BenQ E2200HD by BenQ. I received the monitor on Monday the 20th and I have been tinkering with it for quite a bit. For this first part of my review, I'll post some pictures of the packaging and of the general aesthetics of the monitor. I'll also post my what I have noticed about the menu, build quality, and style. For testing, I used:

Xbox 360 (VGA)
PS3 (HDMI)
Computer

Sorry if some of the pics are blurry. I was a bit too excited. :)

To start off with:

E2200HD
Screen Size 21.5" Wide
Product Color Glossy Black
Resolution 1920x1080
Pixel Pitch 0.248
Brightness 300 cd/㎡
Contrast Ratio 1000:1 (DCR:10000:1 )
Response Time 5ms/ 2 ms(GTG)
Display Area 476.64x268.11 (mm)
Display Color 16.7 million
Viewing Angle 170/160 (L/R;U/D) (CR>=10)
Input Signals D-sub / DVI-D/ HDMI1.3 / Audio in / Headphone Jack
Horizontal Frequency 30~ 83 (KHz)
Vertical Frequency 50 ~ 76 (Hz)
Video Bandwidth 25 ~ 205 (MHz)
Color Temperature Reddish / Normal/ Bluish / user mode
Power Consumption 45W(max)
Power Supply Built-in
Speakers 2 x1W
Features Senseye+Photo
AMA
HDCP Support
OSD Language : 17 languages
Adjustments Tilt -5/20 (down/up)
Dimensions 522.8x407.8x186.8 (mm)
Weight Net Weight 4.8 kg

The box it came in:

Comes with a nifty handle:

The packaging inside was quite nice. Two foam supports on either side kept the monitor snug. The base came unattached.

Foam paper surrounds the monitor and the base. Quite a lot of foam paper actually.

Comes with 3 paper "manuals". There is not much on them. One has the box contents listed, the other has service information, and the last one has important safety instructions. The CD has a PDF manual, which explains everything else about the monitor.

The speakers on this monitor are not the best I have ever used by far. To get a decent volume, you need to put it at around 75-80, but even then it is hard to hear. As with all built in speakers, they aren't great, but if you aren't planning on buying separate speakers, these are just ok.

Here is a picture of the VGA, DVI, and HDMI ports.

Another of the power and audio jack:

Profile of the monitor. There is also a headphone jack on this side:

I believe the website says it is wall mountable: VESA wall mounting 100 x 100 mm
Here is a picture of the back of the panel.

A picture of the monitor. It has a matte screen, the menu buttons are on the right side. Top to bottom: Auto, Menu, Volume Up/Menu Up, Volume Down/Menu Down, Enter. On the bottom right there is the power button.

Power button. It glows green when on, but its not very bright so as not to annoy you. Its exactly as bright as the 360 lights are.

Back of the monitor. When I opened it, it came with the plastic around the edges and the shiny parts of the monitor. Also, you can see on the base a "cable clip", which you can route your cables through for a neater appearance.

Here is how the back of the monitor looks without using the cable organizer:

Front of the monitor without using it:

Back of the monitor using it:

Front of the monitor using it:

Its very easy to use. You squeeze the thin gray plastic clip off, then you route your cables, and then you put the clip back on. A very simple add on that helps with wire management. Its a very nice addition to an overall plain base. One thing you may want to consider: The HDMI port is quite close to the base, and you will most likely have to bend it to get it to fit. There is also no height adjust, only tilting back and forth.

Overall, the packaging was quite nice. The box was very sturdy, and everything was packaged neatly. Included with the montior was the base, a VGA cable, an audio cable, a couple of paper manuals, and a CD with a PDF manual and drivers.

Menu Impressions: In the menu, youll find the following, taken from the PDF manual. This is the first OSD menu, the Display menu.
benqmenuwi1.jpg

The menu is very straightforward. Nothing very special here. Its all your standard stuff. In the Picture menu, you'll find Brightness, Contrast, Sharpness, Color, and Dynamic Contrast Options.
benqmenu2gw4.jpg

In the Picture Advanced Menu, you'll find Picture Mode, Senseye Demo, Display Mode (Full, Aspect Ratio, Overscan), and AMA.

benqmenu3wx2.jpg

In the Audio menu, there is Volume, Mute, and Audio Select.

benqmenu4mi2.jpg

Finally, in the System Menu, there is Input, OSD Settings, DDC/CI, Information, HDMI AutoSwitch, and Reset All.

benqmenu5sp8.jpg

Let me take a little while to explain some of the menu options. In Picture mode, you can choose from the following options: Normal, Reddish, Bluish, User Mode (you set RGB values),

Turning AMA supposedly improves the gray to gray response time of the monitor, but I haven't seen a discernible difference with it on or off.

In the Picture mode menu, you can choose between Standard, Movie, Dynamics, Photo, and sRGB. I will get into this later in my review.

There are some "shortcuts", which do not require going into the menu, such as switching inputs, changing volume, and muting volume. To switch inputs, press the enter button until you get to the desired input. It takes about 5 seconds to switch. To change the volume, press up/ down on the volume control buttons (up/down buttons on the menu). To mute the monitor, all you have to do is press the volume up button for 3 seconds.

I'll have the next part of my review ready for you guys hopefully by Friday. I have a lot of work to do this week, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to get the rest done by then. It'll be up Sunday at the latest. You can ask whatever questions you want in the mean time, and I'll try my best to answer them.

Here are some off-screen screenshots I took:

Mirrors Edge Demo:

Banjo Kazooie Demo:

Mass Effect:

Call of Duty 4:

Oblivion

Part II: Picture

First on our list is the viewing angle. As you all know, this is a TN panel, and that means mediocre to bad viewing angles. I have owned many TN panels and all of their viewing angles were not that great. This monitor's viewing angles are a little better than those that I have tried. The horizontal viewing angle changes noticeably at around 45 degrees, and the vertical changes at around 10 degrees. I have included some photos for reference.

Next is picture modes, which include Standard, sRGB, Photo, Dynamics, and Movie. Each changes the picture in a certain way. Standard is a little more dull. The colors are not as pronounced as the others and is a little hazy. Its also more red than the other ones. sRGB is a little darker than standard, and the colors are a little better. Photo is more vivid, and brighter. It also is bluer than the other settings. Dynamics looks similar to photo, but the brightness and contrast changes to best fit the picture (never really liked this mode). Movie makes the blacks a little blacker and causes the picture to be a little less bright than photo.

Standard

sRGB

Photo

Dynamics

Movie

Now, as you know, this is a TN panel. I could not find any ghosting while playing any games or watching movies. Same for input lag. It was very responsive and there was no discernible lag (I used to play on a CRT before using this LCD, but sadly it broke during the summer).

Now for color: My favorite mode to use was sRGB as I found it very easy to look at. I have no way to measure color accuracy, so I can't be a 100% sure how this monitor would fare for color critical jobs, but then again, if your job depends on colors being accurate, you shouldn't be looking at a TN panel. They black level was decent (as this is an LCD). I was looking trying to find some way to measure color accuracy, and I came upon AnandTech's review of this montior which they just posted today. Maybe you guys could take a look at it. It covers a few things I don't have the equipment to. Here it is : http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=3449&p=11

Resolution Scaling:

This monitor has 3 options to chose from for resolution scaling: Overscan (on/off), Full, and Aspect.

Overscan slightly enlarges the image, Full stetches it to fill the screen, and Aspect keeps the aspect ratio correct, and "stretches 16:9 images to fill the screen horizontally and 4:3 images vertically" as stated in the BenQ manual. There is no "1:1 pixel mapping" option. The monitor does get 1680*1050 correctly, as well as 1920*1080 (of course), but the other resolutions I tried aren't going to look like monitors that do 1:1 pixel mapping. I tried 1680*1050, but that was the only resolution that displayed correctly other than 1920*1080. All of the lower resolutions did not.

For example:

1680*1050 (doesn't show the option for "Aspect" it is displayed correctly)

1280*1024 Full

1280*1024 Aspect (notice it is stretched vertically)

1440*900 Aspect

4:3 resolutions are going to be stretched to fill vertically if you use the Aspect option. You can also choose to use the Full option, but that will stretch it to fill almost the entire screen. It doesn't look too bad in Aspect mode, although it is a little fuzzy .This may not be the best monitor for you if you want anything under 1680*1050 to display correctly. The resolutions can be made to look better if you play with your graphics card options.

Conclusion:

If you can find this monitor for around $225 or so, it would be a great deal. The picture is nice, it has HDMI, VGA, DVI, and built in speakers (although they aren't great). They picture is nice and bright. You can change the colors to your liking and the monitor itself looks nice. Overall, it is one of the nicer monitors I have had for this price range (probably the best "bang for the buck"). It is also 1080p, and it only costs a little higher than the 22" inchers that are less than that res. My only complaints are that it doesn't come with a DVI/HDMI cable, the stand isn't height adjustable, and that the menu is a little slow. Other than that, its a perfectly good monitor for the price.

I'll be happy to answer any questions you have. Suggestions/recommendations are appreciated.

Can't anyone do a proper input-lag comparison, because I'm about to get this monitor if it has no considerable lag.

Would it be possible for you to measure the vertical length of the screen? I'm trying to figure out which monitor would be the best match beside my 19" 4:3 Viewsonic.

Can't anyone do a proper input-lag comparison, because I'm about to get this monitor if it has no considerable lag.

I second this, input lag is a big concern for gamers and its not readily apparent until you are missing headshots left and right.

I'm looking at the 24" Can't wait till 16:9 is dominate and there is a huge selection from all brands, BenQ is right up there with Samsung for me, its nice to see these in owners hands.

Input lag is low.

I measured it to average around 5ms and only one shot out of 60 was more than a frame behind the CRT.

I'll post the numbers later for perusal.

Could you give us a little info on the screen quality. 16:9 panels are pretty new. A little info on if it is better as a monitor or with the PS3 would be good too. Hopefully it is good at both! Also how do you like 1920 x 1080 at 21.5"? I like high res laptop screens so this should be nice too.

Those pictures were awful. A little hint, use more ambient light so the autofocus works better and the shutter release will close faster so there will be less camera shake. Nice looking monitor though.

the pictures are quite big and blurry. next time the use of thumbnails would be better, it gives the page a cleaner look as you can see more of everything and not just huge pictures.

looking forward to the 2nd part.

Majority of the PC Monitors are going to be in 2 aspects, 4:3 and 16:10. Yes. Ten. 16:9 is the default widescreen television format, so be aware of this if you decide to watch movies on your new widescreen PC Monitor. You're still going to have some black bars above and below the screen.

My netbook is also widescreen, but is in 16:9.34, still above the TV standard of 16:9...

What I'm having trouble finding is external LCD's with the PPI of some of the sharper notebook LCD's. My current laptop (Asus G1) is roughly 128 PPI (1680x1050 at 15.4" Widescreen) and the Netbook (Acer Aspire One) is roughly 134 PPI (1024x600 at 9" Widescreen)... A 1680x1050 external monitor at 17" would be fantastic if I could find one.

Could you give us a little info on the screen quality. 16:9 panels are pretty new. A little info on if it is better as a monitor or with the PS3 would be good too. Hopefully it is good at both! Also how do you like 1920 x 1080 at 21.5"? I like high res laptop screens so this should be nice too.

I can't wait until 16:9 LCD Monitors become more standard... but having higher PPI monitors would also be nice. You can increase the screen size, but until the pixel sizes start going down... I'm one in the bunch where 1680x1050 actually looks pretty ugly to me at 20-22"... 1920x1080 should improve that a bit if it's at ~21"

Well, It would be good to go through other monitor reviews, would like to see what the contrast is like, response times, colour accuracy, ect.

Can you confirm if this monitor has the 1:1 pixel mapping feature? It's very important. :)

1:1 pixel mapping is a video scaling technique used in some display devices, such as LCD monitors. A monitor that has been set to 1:1 pixel mapping will try to display an input source without scaling it, such that each pixel received is mapped to a single pixel on the monitor.

This will often result in a black border around the video displayed unless the input resolution is higher or the same as the monitor's native resolution. This technique is often helpful if you want to stop a video being stretched and distorted by the monitor.

Very nice. If you could post maybe some more pics of PC and 360 games then it would be very helpful. I'm thinking of picking this monitor up (or the 24") for my PC/360 combo and I want to get the best monitor out for it without spending a ridiculous amount.

I know it is just a user review, but I would be nice if he were to mention response times, and if there is the existance of a response time compensator, haven't found anything about it so far. I mentioned that review, as it gives him an idea of some things to look at with the review, as the equipment is beyond any user to be expected to have.

To answer some of your questions: there is no ghosting (response time of 2ms)

The vertical length of the monitor is 13", and the horizontal length is 20.5".

About the 1:1 pixel mapping: There are choices of "Full" and "Aspect" (as well as having "overscan" on or off) in the picture menu. The "Aspect" choice does something similar to 1:1 pixel mapping, but sometimes it doesn't work like it is supposed to. I'll have more info on that later, as I am still working on this part of the review.

^ Where does it say that it is being discontinued?

And to Coboltmarine: In my review it says:

Turning AMA (a feature of the monitor which "improves gtg response time") supposedly improves the gray to gray response time of the monitor, but I haven't seen a discernible difference with it on or off.

Dude great job on the review. I have ordered it more than a week back, and I'm still waiting for it. In teh meantime could u send a pic of the monitor in 1920 and 1680 mode

Theres something fishy about this. BenQ is advertising this model heavily, but availability stinks. I live in India, and we usually pay a premium on relatively top-end hardware. Weird thing is it's cheaper out here than in Canada or Australia (when the currency is converted to Indian Rupees). However I have yet to see a unit at any BenQ store, or even read a proper review from the likes of Anandtech, CNet or Tom's hardware. I booked it more than a week back, and I have been told that the unit has been detained by the customs authority...WTF!!

My E2200HD shipped last week and is supposed to get here tomorrow. I won't have much time to play with it though until Thurs probably. I can answer a few questions but the only camera I have one me is my phone, so that won't be much help.

the availability is US seems ok. At least you can get it from BenQ directly and they have pretty good customer service that you have real human beings answer your questions about products.

You're doing a great job with the review. Can you post some photos on your monitor, just to see the color contrast. And how is video in terms of color saturation, etc., do you have blu-ray or any high definition video if not can you play a 1080p Apple trailer...

Theres something fishy about this. BenQ is advertising this model heavily, but availability stinks. I live in India, and we usually pay a premium on relatively top-end hardware. Weird thing is it's cheaper out here than in Canada or Australia (when the currency is converted to Indian Rupees). However I have yet to see a unit at any BenQ store, or even read a proper review from the likes of Anandtech, CNet or Tom's hardware. I booked it more than a week back, and I have been told that the unit has been detained by the customs authority...WTF!!

u r right bro there shipment doesn't got clearance from the customs but yesterday it got clearance & they have assured me that i can buy the monitor on Monday from there dealer.

Oh why does shipping have to be so freaking slow. I ordered my E2400HD a week ago and it sat in Ontario for 5 days last week. Finally entered the US on friday Tracking from the Canada Post must only track packages in Canada because it hasn't been updated since friday. God dammit.

I guess that's the difference between buying local and buying from a Canadian etailer to have it ship to US.

Hello,

thank you very much for comparing notes.

Could you please provide detailed information about 720p input (1280 x 720 at 60Hz) over at least DVI-D/HDMI?

This review:

http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=3449

seems to state, that 720p isn't working properly with this monitor.

If this really is true, it would be very bad.

Some PS3 games can't be displayed at/upscaled to 1080p, so they have to be displayed at 720p.

So, as already mentioned, it would be very bad, if 720p isn't working with this monitor.

It would be very nice if you could provide detailed information about 720p input (1280 x 720 at 60Hz) over at least DVI-D/HDMI.

Thank you very much in advance.

No problem. I'll have that up soon

Back