E6300 Overclocks - Please Share Yours

DD2 prices are same for both platform, and varies, many enthusiast OCer value better quality memory. Quality board, $40 premuim vs AM2 board. The cheapest X2 AM2 is around $160 (also weaker in performance). Conroe may not be for you or any people on extreme budget. ~$80-$100 more isn’t much to most over the lifetime of their computer.

As enthusiast, value potential is measure in the performance though overclocking. Budget seem to the forefront argument against Conroe, but given the choice of a free CHEAPER Conroe or a FX processor/setup, enthusiast minded will rather have Conroe regardless of the cheaper price.

The E6300 is a good chip, but if you can wait the E4300 (1.8GHz, 2MB, 200FSB) will be the OVERCLOCKING CHAMP for 2007 (when it is released).

http://www.hkepc.com/bbs/itnews.php?tid=632107
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3372

Why?

- 200MHz FSB (vs. 266FSB on the current Conroes/Allendales)
- 9x Multiplier
- 2MB Cache (less is better in this case to hit the higher clocks).

Shouldn't be very difficult to push this baby up to 400FSB to hit 3.6GHz (that's a full 100% OC, for the math challenged). RAM won't even break a sweat at that FSB speed.

Oh yeah, and the price on this little GEM is projected to be just above $125. :D Scary that a $125 chip will be able to smoke a FX-62 when OCed.

Man, I just LOVE ALL THE CHEAP CHIPS NOW!!!!

Has there been any previews of the E4200 200fsb core 2 duo which are coming out on 2007?

nooh said:
Has there been any previews of the E4200 200fsb core 2 duo which are coming out on 2007?

No, there are not ES chips out in the wild.

But it is the EXACT same core as Allendale minus virtualization. Right now, the only thing holding Allendale chips back are the high FSBs required to hit near 3.6GHz. Most boards out there right now just can't do it unless 1) you get lucky and 2) you heavily mod the board.

brentpresley said:
The E6300 is a good chip, but if you can wait the E4300 (1.8GHz, 2MB, 200FSB) will be the OVERCLOCKING CHAMP for 2007 (when it is released).

100% OC, for the math challenged). RAM won't even break a sweat at that FSB speed.

Oh yeah, and the price on this little GEM is projected to be just above $125. :D Scary that a $125 chip will be able to smoke a FX-62 when OCed.

You're assuming the E4300 will overclock well and won't be drawn from a stockpile of less than desirable cores. Also, who the hell wants to wait until 2007 when you can get an E6300 for $200 now? You need to save $75 that much?

aldamon said:
You're assuming the E4300 will overclock well and won't be drawn from a stockpile of less than desirable cores. Also, who the hell wants to wait until 2007 when you can get an E6300 for $200 now? You need to save $75 that much?

So far I haven't seen ONE SINGLE Conroe/Allendale that failed to hit 3GHz on STOCK cooling. That appears to be the FLOOR we are talking about here.

Second, I'm thinking it might be a NICE, CHEAP setup for my HTPC (or another secondary system). Or a great upgrade for my parents from their old P4.

FYI, my E6600 is HERE. I'm just waiting on my motherboard to get here this week.

Then I wish you luck. I'd go with an E6300 now, but that's just me. I think it would make a ridiculously sweet HTPC chip and your parents would love it too :D

aldamon said:
Then I wish you luck. I'd go with an E6300 now, but that's just me. I think it would make a ridiculously sweet HTPC chip and your parents would love it too :D

I'm sure they would. But I'm waiting on the uATX boards to mature a bit more before I sink money into a SECOND conroe rig.

brentpresley said:

http://www.hkepc.com/bbs/itnews.php?tid=632107
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3372

Why?

- 200MHz FSB (vs. 266FSB on the current Conroes/Allendales)
- 9x Multiplier
- 2MB Cache (less is better in this case to hit the higher clocks).

Shouldn't be very difficult to push this baby up to 400FSB to hit 3.6GHz (that's a full 100% OC, for the math challenged). RAM won't even break a sweat at that FSB speed.

Man, I just LOVE ALL THE CHEAP CHIPS NOW!!!!

Yep, I have been trying to source one already but none to be found yet. Certainly on my radar too.

RE: E4300 - agreed 100%.

It will be an awesome chip. I have no need for a VT or VPro capable chip, I just want something that is insanely fast and CHEAP, and this fits the bill perfectly.

If anything, it should overclock better than the E6300. The main reason is obviously the higher multi (equivalent to E6600 9x), but the 2nd reason is that by the time it is released yields will be even better than today, and considering the E4300 runs at 1.8GHz it will be from the same bin as 1.86GHz E6300s, and as you've probably noticed 3GHz on stock volts is pretty common... and things will only get better from here. :)

harpoon said:
RE: E4300 - agreed 100%.

It will be an awesome chip. I have no need for a VT or VPro capable chip, I just want something that is insanely fast and CHEAP, and this fits the bill perfectly.

If anything, it should overclock better than the E6300. The main reason is obviously the higher multi (equivalent to E6600 9x), but the 2nd reason is that by the time it is released yields will be even better than today, and considering the E4300 runs at 1.8GHz it will be from the same bin as 1.86GHz E6300s, and as you've probably noticed 3GHz on stock volts is pretty common... and things will only get better from here. :)

Some are saying from the same speed as the E6600 since it has the same 9X multiplier:)

From the AMD side it 's really hard to make the jump from an $80 6150 board with decent onboard graphics/gbitlan/1394/sound/RAID 0,1,5 to over $200, plus still needing a video card. I build a fair amount of HTPC's for people, btw.

I'm really looking forward to some cheaper mATX Intel boards that will make decent HTPCs. Conroe would be great to have for DVD rippping/encoding.

Waiting is the hardest part...

mayakindaguy and talon, can you guys give me the link where i can download that like thing that tells what clock speeds your running and everything else, it says "System Enhancement."

That's the Easy Tune software that comes with the DS3 and I think all Core 2 Duo gigabyte boards. It has hardware monitoring and allows for software OC.

I don't know if there are other software OC utilities out there that don't come with a mobo. However, if you need to monitor things you can use mother board monitor, core temp, cpu-z,mem-set, speed fan, i think everest is one.

slightly off topic but how did you make those icons on the bottom of your screen?

annaconda said:
Just started the Overclocking, right now running nicely at 2.55. Motherboard is MSI 975X Power up Edition.

untitled219.jpg

FragMagnet said:
Don't forget the little cacheless Celeron 266's@448 that we used to torture with the Unreal flyby, when this was primarily a small heatsink site ;)

Asus board, and stock hs/f !

Yeah, that was my first Celeron love too, but it was never as popular as the 300A with a bit of cache. My 266 was happier at 412...

annaconda said:
No it is not. It is Windows XP Professional, there is a program called YZDock. Google is your friend :D

I see. Sorry. I'm not sure how somebody would Google for a screen shot, but thanks for the clarification.

It is not screen shots, it is a program which have so many orbs like icons as you can see in the picture. I explained before about this if you do the search you will find out in this forum.

Nice overclock Kyle. I'm really regretting ever buying this Abit AB9 Pro board. Abit has done a very poor job with the BIOS on this board and has been slow to get out updates. Most people are lucky to get over 300MHz FSB on this board with a lot of the RAM. I have 2 gigs of OCZ DDR2 800 Platinum and it's been a royal PITA to get it to run stable on this board at 300MHz+ FSB. I really want to see what this retail E6300 is capable of but i guess i'm going to have to wait for a decent BIOS or a new board. I'll definitely be jumping on the DFI RD600 board most likely when it releases in the next two or three weeks.

bubsie said:
slightly off topic but how did you make those icons on the bottom of your screen?

Yeah, where did he get that wallpaper and what program is he using for the icons? YZDock? I like it!

Hey guys, not done stability testing yet but I will go ahead and share what I have so far. Full res screenshot: (compressed)
E6300OC2.jpg

This is with E6300, DS3 mobo, Patriot 2x1GB 667MHZ ram :eek: , and watercooling on CPU and GPU with Apogee block.

I can post warm at 456 FSB and can get it as high as 468 FSB in windows, although I get rounding errors when priming. I will try bumping up the voltage later today, as temps are hovering around only 40-42C under full-dual load.

Just to post my experience,

I got myself a e6600 and a gigabyte dq6.

My best stable oc has been 378x9, or 3.4ghz @ 1.475V. Didn't want to up the voltage to much more. This gave me temps of around 48c under speedfan and around 60 under core temp.

I am thinking I may just up her to 1.5V and see what I can get her to do

Oh and I have that OCZ pc2 6400 platinum mem, works very nice.

cpu-z

Kristo said:
Just to post my experience,

I got myself a e6600 and a gigabyte dq6.

My best stable oc has been 378x9, or 3.4ghz @ 1.475V. Didn't want to up the voltage to much more. This gave me temps of around 48c under speedfan and around 60 under core temp.

I am thinking I may just up her to 1.5V and see what I can get her to do

Oh and I have that OCZ pc2 6400 platinum mem, works very nice.

cpu-z

How are you cooling the CPU sir? Can you provide me with your L6##A### code? It
should be on the box for the CPU or on the CPU itself.

mentok1982 said:
How are you cooling the CPU sir? Can you provide me with your L6##A### code? It
should be on the box for the CPU or on the CPU itself.

No worries there,

Cooling is a Zalman 9500LED, keeps her nice a frosty
Also, some extra details,

EIST - Off, Thermal Mon - Off, C1 - Off
MCH + 0.20V
FSB + 0.25V
VDIMM + 0.45V

Piccys

retail box

cpu

EDIT: opps, 6300 thread, I am not relevant, doh!

looking at this thread and seeing all the O/C potential of this little cpu is making me happier
that this years Intel Retail Edge purchase program is going to have the E6300, Intel Desktop Board DG965WH,
and Windows Vista Ultimate in october, looks like I will need to find a good overclocking board
to use it to the max tho as most intel boards dont o/c well if at all

Just an update. I seemed to have found a way to get this Abit AB9 Pro board overclocking. The board doesn't like to run in dual channel, at least not with most RAM i've seen, at high FSB speeds. It also doesn't like the 533Mhz and 677MHz memory ratios when running dual channel. I have my new OCZ PC2-6400 Platinum Rev2 now and i'm currently Prime'ing at 370MHz FSB with the DIMMs in slots 1,2 single channel mode. I will try for 400MHz FSB shortly.

Just for good fun I have decided to up the Mhz on my 6300 to surpass Kyle!

See ya Kyle :)

5.jpg

It's only going to go higher

PS no phase cooling allowed!

scientificTHEgreat said:
Just for good fun I have decided to up the Mhz on my 6300 to surpass Kyle!

See ya Kyle :)

*pic*

It's only going to go higher

PS no phase cooling allowed!
Nice OC! I see that you are running the same board as me, do you still have the stock NB heatsink on? Mine was getting so &*!@ hot that it was burning to the touch; it was like touching a piece of metal that's been in the sun all day.

I am strongly considering upgrading to a beefier heatsink or perhaps even adding another stop in my WC loop.

To those that would say the northbridge does not get that hot, I challenge you to keep your finger on mine for 3 seconds :p

whrswoldo said:
To those that would say the northbridge does not get that hot, I challenge you to keep your finger on mine for 3 seconds :p

Yea i don't know what they were thinking with all this passive cooling on these new chipsets. They run way too hot when overclocked to just use some little passive sink attached to a poorly designed heatpipe assembly. They all need active cooling. Hopefully DFI doesn't make that mistake on the RD600 board.

whrswoldo said:
This is with E6300, DS3 mobo, Patriot 2x1GB 667MHZ ram :eek:

What ram is this? The 4.4.4.12 with Black spreaders? What VDIMM are you running? How bout voltage on the mobo?

I posted this in the overclocking thread, but here's my final run at 3150mhz.

http://members.cox.net/dgreen6/C2D_3150_7hrs.JPG

Gigabyte 965P-DS3, F3 Bios
E6300, L625A254, Stock HSF, stock volts set in bios
Corsair XMS2 PC6400, 5-5-5-17, 2x512
MSI 7600GT

Temps are a bit high with the stock cooler (60-62C running as shown in the link above), but stable. I tried 7x475, but needed a small voltage bump to be stable. Temps were way too high at that point, so I didn't try letting it make the 4+hr run.

OT:
Seeing as most of us have DS3's here, anyone get Smart Fan in EZ Tune working? I'm using the version from the disc....just fired off an email to Gigabyte.

Don't believe the temp monitoring utilities. Most of them are way off on Core 2 chips right now.

If that was truely 60C, then your HSF should be pretty hot to the touch, and I have my doubts that it really is.

brentpresley said:
Don't believe the temp monitoring utilities. Most of them are way off on Core 2 chips right now.

If that was truely 60C, then your HSF should be pretty hot to the touch, and I have my doubts that it really is.

It's not very hot, you're right about that.

Back