Eizo Foris FX2431

uberowo

n00b
I've found a single review of this very promising monitor here.. Anyone able to link me a few more? :D

What? Eizo sells in NA.

Unless you mean they don't sell WELL in NA, or are not for sale in North AFRICA.

If you're willing to spend almost $1000 for a monitor (as the Eizo is priced), you might as well just get a 30" monitor. Dell has sales from time to time where their 3007WFP dips under the $1000 price point.

The NEC 2490 doesn't seem to be as good as this monitor though? I'm getting a couple of monitors to replace the 2407 WFPs I have now, the Dell 30" is to big I think.. Plus it's almost $2600 USD here (Norway) so the price doesn't really compare anyway..

I've had a couple of ISP panels before, and while they are nice, they both had this slight orange-like glare to them when viewed slightly from the side on a dark background. So I feel like the ISP panels are overhyped a bit.. If you can get a really good and fast (input lag wise) VA panel I dont see why I wouldn't pick that over an ISP.. Though any input is still appreciated.. :)

Hmm are you serious? don't rush with buying the Eizos let other users explain you more about the 2490.

Don't want to look like im saying 2490 is better then the Eizo FX2431 cause i have one.

Generaly the best IPS monitors are better then any VA/PVA.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1396129&highlight=NEC+2490+full

Taken from the review.

Conclusion

Over the past two years the NEC 2490WUXi has gained a tremendous reputation of the best available monitor.
This reputation has become so solid and fortified with so obviuos reasons that potential reviewers risk losing their own reputation saying opposite.
I don't want to be among those reviewers.

Just to save you some time ;)

Last edited:
Hmm are you serious? don't rush with buying the Eizos let other users explain you more about the 2490.

Don't want to look like im saying 2490 is better then the Eizo FX2431 cause i have one.

Generaly the best IPS monitors are better then any VA/PVA.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1396129&highlight=NEC+2490+full

Taken from the review.

Conclusion

Over the past two years the NEC 2490WUXi has gained a tremendous reputation of the best available monitor.
This reputation has become so solid and fortified with so obviuos reasons that potential reviewers risk losing their own reputation saying opposite.
I don't want to be among those reviewers.

Just to save you some time ;)

Heh, that's funny. Actually saying anything against Eizo is considered a reason by most related people in Czechia. Many people still think that a high price means the best features.

FlexScan SX2462W will be maybe an interesting combination of Eizo quality and IPS panel.

Well I really don't have a clue.. (Which is why I am here asking for advice.)

I've been using two dell 2407 wfps on my primary rig a couple of years now, and I also have two dell 2007s (ips) on my secondary rig, plus I just returned an LG W2600HP-BF (ips). While the ISP monitors are nice, I don't really see what makes them that much better then the VA panels I have. Additionally, they both have a very obvious orange/yellow "coating" visible from angles on dark backgrounds.. Does the NEC monitors have this same "coating"?

Besides, the NEC Wuxi no longer seems available here. I can get the Wuxi2, but apparently that's "wide gamut" and for some reason that I don't quite understand, that is apparently "bad" for casual users like me. :D

NEC2490wuxi2 is not wide gamut.2690/2690wuxi2 are.

The second version of both models lacks A-TW polarizer basicly is the same monitor without polarizer.

To get a clue what polarizer is and more about the NEC 90 series i recommend to read the review or google NEC2490 and see what reviews(shorter if your lazy) owners say about it.Its the best monitor i ever used by far.
Actually im starting to thinking some way to get it work for longer cause my work is basiclly in front of pc And i'm seriously concerned about the life time of my unit,knowing i'm using it like 12 hours per day
at least.You probably wonder why i'm worried cause future always bring improvments but i doubt that
ill see something better then this,not until we see 24 oleds for decent price.Forgot to say about the issue your IPS monitors suffered from.
Thats not part of on NEC 2490 series.

I'm in love !

Last edited:
So basically you're saying the Wuxi2 is *worse* then the Wuxi? :eek:

Also, can anyone explain why this wide color gamut thing is a bad thing for "most" users? :D

Most contents (websites, photographs, movies...) are intended to be viewed on sRGB/Rec.709 displays. Displaying them on a wide gammut monitor will produce artificially vivid colors.

As far as I am concerned, I think that an increased gamut in greens and blues can produce pleasant results. But red is another story ! It quickly becomes "agressive", "flashy".

Some applications (e.g. Firefox, Photoshop...) utilize a Color Management System (CMS). It enables to display the content in a proper way, without artificially vivid colors. But, it also require to set up a few setting...and the monitor color profile. (Either downloaded from the manufacturer website or created using a colorimeter/spectrophotometer.)

Also, can anyone explain why this wide color gamut thing is a bad thing for "most" users? :D

1. Wuxi2 is not considered better than the 1st, model number notwithstanding.

2. Wide gamut is 'bad' because you can't get accurate colors with it. And if you want to 'calibrate' it to be more accurate, you're going to have to spend hundreds more to get a monitor hardware calibrator. And even then, you're unlikely to get the same colors as a standard sRGB display. Wide gamut initially looks richer and better to the eyes, but the colors are not accurate as what they are supposed to be.

Thanks for all your input, it's been very helpful. :) You pretty much talked me into a NEC WUXi now, but I can't seem to find them anywhere online. :( WUXi2s all over the place..

Thanks for all your input, it's been very helpful. :) You pretty much talked me into a NEC WUXi now, but I can't seem to find them anywhere online. :( WUXi2s all over the place..

Even wuxi2 is good monitor buy it you won't regret i was in the same boat as you
had doubts about the 2490 series in the moment when i turn it on all that disappear!
Was stunned by the image quality and the beautifl precise,colors the image quality
is present on the whole screen there are no variation at angles or something like
gamma shift or color shift.To sum it up you cant go wrong with 2490 series.
By many owners,reviewers the best LCD currently available.Make sure to get
the 2490wuxi2 sRGB (non wide gamut)

I'm still a fan of the NEC opticlear/glossy screen. Wonder why they dont give the option to buy any of their monitors with or without it.

I read tons of review about this two monitors.

no need to argue, Foris is really better than Nec LCD2490Wuxi for all round use
and overall I prefer 10 times Foris.

Can't understand how you can compare this two monitors.
Obviously all monitors have Pro and Cons, but Eizo is better for wide gamut, really darker black at the same luminance, better contrast (a must have for video/games/everyday use),
connection tipe, scaling, input lag.

It's like comparing a good wolkswagen with a Ferrari :D

I read tons of review about this two monitors.

no need to argue, Foris is really better than Nec LCD2490Wuxi for all round use
and overall I prefer 10 times Foris.

Can't understand how you can compare this two monitors.
Obviously all monitors have Pro and Cons, but Eizo is better for wide gamut, really darker black at the same luminance, better contrast (a must have for video/games/everyday use),
connection tipe, scaling, input lag.

It's like comparing a good wolkswagen with a Ferrari :D

Cool story bro :D

Very Cool!

Very Very cool!

Last edited:
Isn't it obvious?

The EIzo Foris FX2431, is no match for the best IPS monitor made ever. In fact, its inferior even to some lower end IPS panels. If you can't see the issues with S-PVA or PVA panels in my post then ill suggest you to chek your eyes, no offence intendend. All the PVA or S-PVA screens suffers from black crush and colors shifting! period.

Isn't it obvious?

The EIzo Foris FX2431, is no match for the best IPS monitor made ever. In fact, its inferior even to some lower end IPS panels. If you can't see the issues with S-PVA or PVA panels in my post then ill suggest you to chek your eyes, no offence intendend. All the PVA or S-PVA screens suffers from black crush and colors shifting! period.

Sincerely when I work on the monitor I sit in front of it and I don't rotate my head like the camera on your video, so no sense to me.
In addition, good PVA have no black crush effect, at least not much more disturbing than the IPS glow.
Sincerely for all rounding I prefer PVA, it's taste.

Sincerely when I work on the monitor I sit in front of it and I don't rotate my head like the camera on your video, so no sense to me.
In addition, good PVA have no black crush effect, at least not much more disturbing than the IPS glow.
Sincerely for all rounding I prefer PVA, it's taste.

Мan..come on, just look at the pictures! there is a difference even when u seet in front of the monitor (as some of the photos are taken) all S-PVA/PVA panels has it! this is very very well known fact! And yes, the NEC 2490 has no IPS glow (A - TW polarizer) so the comparasion you make and saying that Foris FX2431 is 10x better screen is totally non logical or correct, actually the 2490 should take that spot. Still i won't go any further then this because its pointless. Sure i can help you "see" or understand some points, but i can't make you see what you dont like to.

Мan..come on, just look at the pictures! there is a difference even when u seet in front of the monitor (as some of the photos are taken) all S-PVA/PVA panels has it! this is very very well known fact! And yes, the NEC 2490 has no IPS glow (A - TW polarizer) so the comparasion you make and saying that Foris FX2431 is 10x better screen is totally non logical or correct, actually the 2490 should take that spot. Still i won't go any further then this because its pointless. Sure i can help you "see" or understand some points, but i can't make you see what you dont like to.

you can't compare a WCG monitor with a standard one unless you don't need the extended gamut, sincerely at 2010 I'm not interested in standard gamut.

The original 2490 is something of a special classic. No longer available.
It took me 4 other different monitors (2 PVA, 1 TN, 1 other IPS) before I found one that was great.
Here is my review of the 2490 after I got it two years ago:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1338622
Still love it today.

I would not trade mine for any LCD available today. I wouldn't even consider it.

IPS is the best technology for displaying a stable image, but the 2490 include another polarizer layer that eliminated the off angle glow that you can see on IPS (and other screens BTW). With this extra polarizer, you need a CRT to get better viewing angles. None of the newer monitors have it.

The Foris FX2431 has typical PVA image shifting. Unacceptable for me, but probably OK for most people.

From the FX2431 review:
Viewing angles: Eizo FX2431 features a S-PVA panel and is similar to other S-PVA based monitors.
Cons: Viewing angles, Bulky design and cabinet, Response time

Last edited:
The original 2490 is something of a special classic. No longer available.
It took me 5 different monitors before I found one that was great.
Here is my review of the 2490 after I got it two years ago:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1338622
Still love it today.

I would not trade mine for any LCD available today. I wouldn't even consider it.

IPS is the best technology for displaying a stable image, but the 2490 include another polarizer layer that eliminated the off angle glow that you can see on IPS (and other screens BTW). With this extra polarizer, you need a CRT to get better viewing angles. None of the newer monitors have it.

The Foris FX2431 has typical PVA image shifting. Unacceptable for me, but probably OK for most people.

From the FX2431 review:

ok, I'm glad that you like the old classic nec, buy it if you haven't just done it. :)

So, no one owning one ended up reporting in?

Better late than never, I guess.

Regarding image quality, for what it's worth I did the lagom tests, and it did excellent in my book on every one of them with the sole exception of viewing angle. Obviously it did much better than the horror examples of TN performance. It only had notable issues with the 2 first images. On the other hand, I've yet to experience color shifting like this in real life since the Foris acts as a main monitor, i.e. is positioned straight in front of me. Black crush is alien to me, I can confirm the positive remarks on its deep blacks from reviews. In fact, the deepest blacks are more easily distinguishable than the semi dark grey (e.g. level 11-15).

I'm open for questions should there be any, but I guess most people are more interested in the new Foris model coming up (eh, 16:9).

For comparison I tested the Nec 23" IPS monitor for about a week as a secondary monitor, and I simply had to return it. The price level is vastly different to be fair, but they just couldn't compare in any regard - even viewing angles. The white glow on the Nec couldn't justify its price in my opinion, I'd rather go for an Eizo EV2333 (same panel as Foris?) at that price level.

Cons? Eregonomics could be better. Too minimal hight adjustment, no pivot, and the speaker bar can be a little distracting if you're not interested in monitor sound. The blue could be better according to my monitor calibration, as well as the reviews; but this is a multimedia monitor to me, so it's hardly an issue.

I've been using my EV2333W that I just received a few hours ago, and so far I have to say it is exactly what I aimed to purchase. Uniformity and grey-scale are superb, with grey 2-2-2 and white 254-254-254 being differentiated. No discovered pixel errors, no audible noise, no tint, and minimal flashlighting.

Contrast is superb. One thing I am disappointed about is the fact that my unit came with the Tristand instead of the better Flexstand. The usual VA viewing angle rules apply, although off-axis viewing angles are quite good. A distance of 80cm from the display largely mitigates gamma shift on critical images like the mountain stripe image. Trailing is evident on certain transitions, and it may disqualify this monitor from being used to play games competitively online.

So far I look forward to spending five years with this EV2333W.

I've been using my EV2333W that I just received a few hours ago, and so far I have to say it is exactly what I aimed to purchase. Uniformity and grey-scale are superb, with grey 2-2-2 and white 254-254-254 being differentiated. No discovered pixel errors, no audible noise, no tint, and minimal flashlighting.

Contrast is superb. One thing I am disappointed about is the fact that my unit came with the Tristand instead of the better Flexstand. The usual VA viewing angle rules apply, although off-axis viewing angles are quite good. A distance of 80cm from the display largely mitigates gamma shift on critical images like the mountain stripe image. Trailing is evident on certain transitions, and it may disqualify this monitor from being used to play games competitively online.

So far I look forward to spending five years with this EV2333W.

congratulations for your new jewel and for sharing your ideas with us. :)
since I need to wait sandy bridge for the new monitor I'm considering the S2433 or FX2431 from Eizo using a PVA but I like the black level and contrast of your PVA, also better than the monitor I mentioned.

So, no one owning one ended up reporting in?

For comparison I tested the Nec 23" IPS monitor for about a week as a secondary monitor, and I simply had to return it. .

How did you manage to return an NEC? What store has a return policy like that?

Consumer policies are generally above average where I live.

Last edited:
Back