ErgoHuman Chair $509 shipped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went and checked this thing out at Office depot, and it seemed nice (adjustment-wise), but rather beat up. Of course, it was a display model, but can it really last a lifetime?

I just wish there was a way to test comfort for multiple hour sessions. Why doesn't someone make a website where users can rate their chairs? That's it, I'm buying chairratings.com

Honestly I don't think buying chairs is ANYTHING like buy a car, theres way less stuff to consider. I'm not buying into the herman miller name at all. I have heard plent of people say if it's not herman Miller, it's crap. or everything that is not Herman Miller is a Hm knockoff. Well thats BS too. The design of this chair is compleatly different than the HM chair, no need to argue just look at the thing. The only thing similar is that it also uses mesh... But hey some people buy cars just because they say BMW on them or whatever, and are pround that they own a BMW jsut because of the name. If it costs more it has to be better right? BTW IMO $200 for an aeron is a huge difference in cost, no way I would pay over $500 for this thing or the aeron. I'm not rich, my back just hurts...
I have not sat in the Aeron

"if it costs more it has to be better" is not the logic an intelligent person would use to shop for either a car or a chair, and is not the reason HM or BMW is able to charge what it does for them.

I think my basic point is that at $700-800 the Aeron will be much better for your back and last longer; though more expensive, it is a far better value than the other chair at $500-600

"if it costs more it has to be better" is not the logic an intelligent person would use to shop for either a car or a chair, and is not the reason HM or BMW is able to charge what it does for them.

I think my basic point is that at $700-800 the Aeron will be much better for your back and last longer; though more expensive, it is a far better value than the other chair at $500-600

Perhaps but that point is moot untill the chair has been around for 10+ years. You say it's not the name your paying for, but then what else is it that makes you think this chair will not not last as long as the areon? What makes you think the warranty is so much better on the Aeron? The Ergo Human is lifetime limited while the Aeron is 12 years. I'm not sure how I would be better off spending twice as much on a Herman Miller (similarly equiped) jsut because it might last a little longer. hell I'll just buy a SECOND Ergohuman if it fails in 6 years lol. I'm sure it will cost less 6 years from now too, so many at that point in time I could buy 2 of them! Is the HM going to require you to ship the defective part back (For instance if you have a problem with the seat mesh)? I don't know but I have heard great things about the ergo human's warranty.

As far as BMW, I see NOTHING special about beamers other than the groupies like them. They have a good warranty, but that IS what you are paying for when you buy a new one. There is nothing on the car itself that justifies the extra 10k vs another car. What you get is a much better warranty which includes oil changes etc (Which I prefer to do myself anyways) Personaly I hate car warranties from any manufacturer...

For example Ford and Chevy both make great trucks but they both charge more than nissan does for a similarly equiped Titan. While Chevy finaly issued a re-design Ford's 150's are quite a bit out of date compared to the competition. You get ALOT more stuff with the titan than the ford, bigger motor, better transmition, locking rear diff, sprayed in bedliner, cargo door, more interior space etc etc etc for less money (yea but it's a Ford Knock off right it's not "Ford Brand name" and we all know "Fords will last longer" (unless they spontaneously catch fire in yrou garage). Same with the new Tundra, while it is nice it's not worth the extra $10-20k over another truck IMO. It has the "Toyota" brand on it so they charge more when it's still a new design that is not going to be any more reliable than something from another manufacturer IMO, in fact it's a first year so it will likely have some problems as it has with the Cam's already going out on many of their first production trucks. Loyal toyota customers will flock and they will sell, but the toyota of today isn't the same toyotas of 10 years past.

As with anything sometimes you get a good one and sometimes you get a lemon. I found this more true with computer hardware and ATV parts than anything else. But to say the chair will not hold up as long or will be less comfortable because it is not a HM is just ignorent. These types of discussion are usualy on the ATI vs Nvidia threads...

Maybe for rich people it is worth getting the herman miller. I'm not going to argue about that I have not even sat in one. However I refuse to blow $800 on any chair, like I said $500 is already pushing it, I feel bad enough. But you can't blindly state that the HM is a better value when several people do actualy have both and still prefer the ergo human. (and some prefer the HM) I'm not seeing how the HM is going to be any better for my back, unless you have some research tests that can prove this, I sat in the Ergo Human it and it fit my spine perfect with some slight adjustments, some of which the herman Miller does not have. When you buy the HM you ARE paying for the brand name.

BTW the first office depo ergo human I saw was beat up too, I think some fat ass 500 walrus must have sat in it or something, it was not assembled correctly either as non of the adjustments worked, and I laughed at the pricetag as I felt it was not comfortable at all. But the second one I sat in felt damn soild compared to anything else I tried that had plastic arms etc. it was MUCH more comfortabel thant the first one for whatever reason (Probably because the adjustments actualy worked!)

I should be getting my chair tonight!

Good find. I just bought one too. My Aareon has seen better days and this one looks like it will adjust better for me as well.

I sweat sitting in the leather chair. I have the mesh Aeron now and would never use anything but mesh. I will get out of the shower, throw on some shorts and sit down to go through email or finish up end-of-day stuff, and leather and boxers would not be good. Mesh breaths and the Aeron mesh is comfortable....until a 3 year old gets after it with a screwdriver one afternoon while you away from the office. Hence, time for a new chair for about 3 years now.

Kyle! Please let us know how this chair compares to your Aeron when you get it. It would be good to hear from the man himself, especially since you will have them both. Sorry to hear about the screw driver incident. Is it covered under warranty? ;)

I just got mine last night, setup was smooth, it came with a T-handle hex head driver and have thread locker pre-applied for the screws. They also give you a spare screw of each type. So far I like the chair, and I feel like I could easily sit in it all day.

One thing I think they could have improved on a bit is to make the lumbar more adjustable rather than moving the back up and down, but it is a good fit, comfortable, and supportive as it is. I wish this thing should include a bottle opener on one of the arms or something, then it would be very close to perfect!

Brought my old chair into work this morning and it's working quite well at my office desk compared to what I had. So it was a double upgrade for me :)

Good to hear you like it. Keep posting as you get more situated with it. And while I've seen it in person I'm sure some of the people reading the thread would love some pictures.

Awesome.

It's great because my crap chair has been hurting my ass lately.
It's literally sore... -_-

As far as BMW, I see NOTHING special about beamers other than the groupies like them. .... There is nothing on the car itself that justifies the extra 10k vs another car.
For example Ford and Chevy both make great trucks....
But to say the chair will not hold up as long or will be less comfortable because it is not a HM is just ignorent.
Maybe for rich people it is worth getting the herman miller. I'm not going to argue about that I have not even sat in one.

Dude.... so you've never sat an Aeron chair nor driven a BMW. Groupies? Buying for name?? You're prejudiced against them because of the name. These companies don't get to be the best because of sloppy engineering, and just because *some* people take for granted that they're the best and buy just because of that doesn't make the engineering any less superb. People also don't buy BMWs for the warranty, they buy them primarily for the handling (and the amenities). Same thing for HM - they buy it because it's a superior design benefitting comfort and posture.

Now, not only have I sat in both chairs, but I had an aeron for several years in a previous job-- NO other chairs at a company had lasted as long as they did. No other chairs were as well liked, and in our line of work we're often sitting for 10-12 hours straight. I've had substantial back and hip problems over the years and no other chair (except the standard fabric HM chairs) provided as much relief.

Now, here's the kicker. I have a mesh-backed chair from office depot. It was $275 as I recall. "Well, it's good enough" I thought. Wrong. That chair hasn't stood up for Sh*t. This ergohuman chair shares many of the same parts. There's no goddamn way that this is as good.

Finally, fer the last time, the Aeron chair is *not* twice as much. I don't know why you keep insisting it when I've shown you where to get them for $725, and even stripped down it's better than the ergohuman. Stripped down or maxed out, it's still worth twice as much . However, I'm sticking to my claim that the Aeron chair is worth twice as much, and at a similiar price, it's twice the value.

How long did you sit in an ergohuman for? I would love to hear from someone that has sat in one (and an aeron) for a long time.

If the ergohuman wasn't comfortable to you for a short period it seems like maybe it doesn't fit your body or it wasn't adjusted correctly? I sat it one for a short time (30 mins) and an Aeron for a short time (30 mins) and the ergohuman felt more comfortable.

Over a longer period I couldn't tell you. For either.

I sat in it for only about 5-6 hours last night and it was as comfortable 6 hours later as when I first sat down. Money well spent. Sorry I can't afford an Aeron to compare.

venm11,
I'm happy you like your BMW and Aeron. I'll stick with my Nissan and Ergohuman. Oh yea, what chair did you try that had the same parts as the ergohuman? I have not seen another chair that uses any of the same parts?

BTW I really did not mean to say the only reason to buy a BMW was the warranty, but up here in LA the majority of people buy it just for the name. I'm not saying I would never purchase one, but I would likely never purchase one new unless I had money burning a hole in my pocket. I just feel that there are plenty of other cars that are as good and better for less money. People don't always realize that it's the small things that can make a car last a long time like Good Synthetic oil that BMW uses from the from the factory (and is "required" in the manual) vs cheap stuff other companies put in there’s. However it's not that hard to change over to synthetic in any car lol.

Another example is the I-pod. I personally feel that they suck and are overpriced as well. Mainly because I can't stand I-tunes either. I don't know how or why they became so popular vs other players that were better at the time like the creative. I think people were just buying it because of the advertising and the trend, hell even other devices such as the LG Chocolate wanted to imitate it. The music quality is nothing special on an I-pod, and the trend of downloading mp3's from I-tunes recorded at 128 really makes me cringe. That does not mean I would never buy one, in fact it would almost be stupid to buy any other player for some uses (like hooking it to a car stereo) because there is no support for any other players.

The Similarly equipped Aeron is almost twice as much retail and the $725 version (from ebay) does not have a headrest which I would HAVE to add for my use, add that and you’re past the $800 mark when all is said and done. I got my ergo human for $509 shipped tax free.

So it's not twice as much if you shop around, but it's still 100's of dollars more. I have other things I could really use that extra $300 for, like a new video card! is the Aeron better? IDK, it should be it is 100's of dollars more. it is also my believe that there is no Perfect Chair for everyone, what is super comfortable to one person may be increadibly uncomfortable to another, so no point in arguing :) . I would ALWAYSE suggest trying out chairs before you buy them. My Buddy got a cheap $150 or so mesh chair from Staples, and his boss or someone liked it so much they had to have one. So they went out an bought another $300 chair that is "similar" to the aeron and it was an uncomfortable POS. They returned it or threw it away and spent a grand on a new Aeron after they realized the $300 chair it wsn't such a good value after all. Does that mean all $300 mesh chairs are crap? Absolutly not, it was just an example.

I would love to know what type of experience and/or expertise that you have in the office chair manufacturing and engineering field to make these claims that the Aeron is so superior to every other chair. You continually repeat that the Aeron has better engineering. In what way? You also say that the Aeron is more durable. In what way? You also say that it is more adjustable and it is not. The reason that so many mesh chairs have failed in the past is because of their poor quality of mesh. The mesh has always been either too stiff, causing pain in concentrated areas or too loose causing the mesh to sag. The beauty of the Aeron chair was their ability to design a mesh that was not only soft enough to form fit to your body but sturdy and durable enough to prevent saggin and wear. The mesh they use is an OEM legget and platt mesh that has created their enormous success. The Ergohuman uses THE SAME MESH. This is the reason that so many people have found the Ergohuman to be so comfortable compared to other chairs and even the Aeron itself. As far as engineering, the Ergohuman was desinged to be used intensively for 5+ hours per day and I have used my chair for 8-12 hours a day for weeks and think it is still amazingly comfortable. The Ergohuman is also warranted for a lifetime unlike the Aeron which is only 12 years. Eurotech also doesn't require proof of damages, or for you to send the chair for repair. They send replacement parts immediately without questions. I found a lot of information at http://www.beyondauctions.com . Also, Aeron chairs that are comparable to the Ergohuman (the Basic Aeron is not a comparison as it isn't even close in adjustability or support to the Ergohuman) are much more than $700. You may be able to find auctons ebay that are lower, but they all have a reserve price on, meaning that the buyer won't sell the chair until the auction reaches a certain price. If you want to find it for around $700 then the chair will have basic functions and you will not be receiving any type of warranty because the chair is either used or refurbished. The Aeron is a very nice chair and is certainly engineered very well. I am not saying that the Aeron is a bad chair or that it isn't worth the money. I am simply saying that the Ergohuman is a much better value for the quality of chair, warranty service and price.

i can't seem to get the free shipping and -$70 to stack... anyone know what i'm doing wrong? if i apply the free shipping its 579 but when i apply the -$70 the total is 544 = 509 + 35 from shipping.

The_headlina still reeks of advertisement.

I like this chair and I'd still take the opinion of the guy who prefers to Aeron to headlina... you've been warned :)

What place would you guys recommend to order these that doesn't have such a huge restocking fee? I'm thinking about eventually getting two, but would like the option of sending the first one back without having to pay $100.

I didn't realize that being educated on a product that I'd be spending $500+ on for multiple people constituted advertising.

How long did you sit in an ergohuman for? I would love to hear from someone that has sat in one (and an aeron) for a long time.

If the ergohuman wasn't comfortable to you for a short period it seems like maybe it doesn't fit your body or it wasn't adjusted correctly? I sat it one for a short time (30 mins) and an Aeron for a short time (30 mins) and the ergohuman felt more comfortable.

Over a longer period I couldn't tell you. For either.

You realize that the Herman Miller has different sizes for diffrent height and weight dimensions? If you don't buy the right HM, it wont be as comfortable as intended.

I will try to get some pics soon. But as of right now I don't want anyone to see my mess lol.

To stack the coupons I just put one in, hit apply, then put the other in. I supposed they may have changed something? Could always try calling them to be certain. Yea I didn't care so much about the re-stock fee as I made sure the chair was what I wanted before I ordered.

they didn't seem to stack when i ordered mine but they actually did
use the -70 dollar one and go through the check out and it should not charge you shipping (might be that u don't need a coupon for the free shipping).

You realize that the Herman Miller has different sizes for diffrent height and weight dimensions? If you don't buy the right HM, it wont be as comfortable as intended.

Yes I did... I sat in a medium. I'm 5'10" 160

they didn't seem to stack when i ordered mine but they actually did
use the -70 dollar one and go through the check out and it should not charge you shipping (might be that u don't need a coupon for the free shipping).

hm, thanks... i'll try it out.

EDIT: bah, it didnt' work... my total came out to 509 + 35 (shipping) = 544. i'll give them a call in the morning.

They're pretty reasonable over the phone, just got mine today but it's in the box. Couldn't resist, got the blue!

We had authentic Herman Miller Aeron chairs at work in a lab several years ago. I fell in love w/ those chairs. I've wanted to get one (or similar) ever since. But I couldn't justify the $600+ for a chair. Several months ago, I got a new office chair, but not a mesh chair. I went to Staples and bought a leather and chrome chair from Staples and have been enjoying it ever since. It's not quite as nice as a mesh chair and doesn't breath as easy as one, but it's a close 2nd and was only a fifth the price of an Aeron. :cool:

Put it together a few hours ago, seems like a solid chair. The packaging seemed kind of bulky and/or messy, but it protected the pieces very well. I'm a big fan of the full-on metal construction on the every area of the chair that wasn't mesh. I think a lot of the cheaper chairs I always end up breaking ($100-$200 chairs) tend to skimp on the materials for that part of the construction. The chair itself was pretty easy to put together, only 3 areas to screw together (2 arms, then back to seat).

I've only used the mid-back aeron chairs (do they make high-backs?) and I liked them, one thing this chair offers is a crazy amount of customization. You can adjust normal things such as seat height, but also things such as: back height, back tension, headrest height/angle, armrest height/angle, seat depth, chair angle. I wouldn't be surprised if I missed something there.

So far? I'm liking it. I'm going to hold out for a few weeks before final judgement, but I like the chair. Still kind of unsure about spending $500+ dollars on it, but only time can tell for that :) The mesh was a great material for a chair though, gives great support while still letting the air through.

I think I'll be happy with this purchase if it ends up being durable and lasting me a few years. Also, I've heard the customer support is supposed to be good, and it's a lifetime warranty. So you better bet I'm going to try and bank on that when the chair breaks down (like every other chair I have owned seems to).

Hi I work for the Human Solution and am here to tell you that the $70 off coupon code has been changed from Ergohuman to Ergohuman70. Our system doesn't allow the use of two coupons at once. Since we normally include shipping, that item had been set in the system to not charge for shipping so a few people did indeed, get both free shipping and the $70 off. That was unintentional. The offer has always been Free Shipping OR $70 off and both offer coupons clearly state that, as does the page we list our coupons on.

However, we will offer Hard Forum members a special deal. CALL us to order, instead of ordering online, and we'll give you an extra $20 discount AND you can order ANY color of mesh. Our phone number is 1-800-531-3746 and we're open M-F from 9 am to 6 pm Central time.

Oh and to clarify comments above - we were completely unaware of this forum until today so any promotional benefit to us was both incidental and something we're are thankful for.

Other clarifications:
The chair DOES have a lifetime warranty but fabric wear is only covered for 5 years.
Raynor's customer service is amazing and yes, they will replace parts free.
You can order replacement cushions at any point in time for a very modest price, so if yours wear out or you want to change the look, you can.
This chair is rated to a maximum user weight of $250. If you're bigger, we carry other chairs.

YES this is an awesome chair! I'm sitting in one now.

Any other questions, just ask. We'll take good care of you.

Regards, Alyssa at The Human Solution

we only posted to clarify what was being discussed on the thread. We did not start the thread and this was our first contribution. I am just the receptionist as it is, one of our sales representatives told me to add the extra $20 and the ME7 colors savings. Not meaning to offend, more of a thank you than anything.

Hi I work for the Human Solution and am here to tell you that the $70 off coupon code has been changed from Ergohuman to Ergohuman70. Our system doesn't allow the use of two coupons at once. Since we normally include shipping, that item had been set in the system to not charge for shipping so a few people did indeed, get both free shipping and the $70 off. That was unintentional. The offer has always been Free Shipping OR $70 off and both offer coupons clearly state that, as does the page we list our coupons on.

However, we will offer Hard Forum members a special deal. CALL us to order, instead of ordering online, and we'll give you an extra $20 discount AND you can order ANY color of mesh. Our phone number is 1-800-531-3746 and we're open M-F from 9 am to 6 pm Central time.

Oh and to clarify comments above - we were completely unaware of this forum until today so any promotional benefit to us was both incidental and something we're are thankful for.

Other clarifications:
The chair DOES have a lifetime warranty but fabric wear is only covered for 5 years.
Raynor's customer service is amazing and yes, they will replace parts free.
You can order replacement cushions at any point in time for a very modest price, so if yours wear out or you want to change the look, you can.
This chair is rated to a maximum user weight of $250. If you're bigger, we carry other chairs.

YES this is an awesome chair! I"m sitting in one now.

Any other questions, just ask. We'll take good care of you.

Regards, Alysssa at The Human Solution

You deserve a raise.

Cant really consider it spam since they're posting in a thread that wasn't started by them, listing a lot of information many people have (or would have) asked. A+.

Oh and to add.. I think I weigh more than 250 dollars :)

And you are all over me for supposedly advertising?

At least Human Solution was up front and said who they were and didn't pretend to be a regular consumer. I would buy from the Human Solution but not from your site. Trying to mislead posters is not good.

bam! peanut butter and jam!

I had my hopes up for one of these chairs but being a poor college grad, I'll have to save up for a chinese chair made by kids.

doh, i talked to a sales rep earlier and she confirmed that the coupons aren't supposed to stack. i'm still going to buy it at the $544 but i just saw alyssa's post... i'm going to try and call tomorrow morning and cancel my previous order to get the extra $20 off and gray color... probably won't be able to since i ordered yesterday but it's ok. i'm order 13121 if you see this alyssa. thanks.

khoa tran

awesome, alyssa happened to read my previous post. she checked to see if my chair had been shipped yet which it hadn't and she was able to get me the extra 20 off and the gray color. thanks again alyssa.

Just picked up one for myself. Since I had back surgery, cheap chairs can no longer cut it. I'm a chair stickler, and I can't wait to sit in this one, after having sat in cheap uncomfortable chairs for all of my life. Paid $538 shipped, and I should get it in like 1 day. :D

Thanks to Allah for this, and thanks guys for the find. Also, thanks HumanSolution for the nice discount. ;) I'll let everyone know how good it is once I get it. My back is certainly way more sensitive now then it was before, so I'll be sure to give a good rundown on it.

3 quick pictures of a blue Ergohuman chair... The blue is brighter than I had thought it would be.

I tried to go to a couple office depots south florida and they didn't have any left in stock. Wanted to sit in it again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back