ErgoHuman Chair $509 shipped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
got mine. MUCH better back lower back support than my Aeron. Liked some of the features of the Aeron better in how you could lean back in it when you wanted to, where this one hard locks to its position, but overall it is more comfortable. (Duh, figured this one out and it does recline easily. Damn kids jacking with my new chair.) The mesh is easier on your legs than the Aeron if you are in shorts as well. Neck support is a plus as well.

I have two herniated disks at L4 and L5 and the Aeron, although it has been a great chair for years, just was not comfortable anyone, in fact it was CAUSING my back to hurt.

I am happy with my purchase for sure.

Thanks for the report. It's still hard for me to part with $500 for a chair but if I can pony up for a 8800GTX I don't see why I can't justify it for a chair.

Where did you buy it from?

The human source linked in this thread. The coupons did stack when I bought it, but I had to pay tax in Texas even though it shipped from Cali.

Here it is in all it's glory,
Setup.jpg

You only live once and for a chair you will be using at least 3 to 4 hours a day it is worth it even if it lasts 2 years.

I suppose the issue is if a $500 chair is really that much better for you than a cheaper alternative. It's something that is not so easily measured and can vary greatly by body type and preference. We all assume that this chair is better than your standard run of the mill office depot chair, but how much better? To the wealthy even if it is a barely percieved difference it could be worth the much higher purchase price, but if you are living on a strict budget, can the value added justify the purchase price?

If you could convince people even 50% of the time that your $500 product is leaps and bounds better than a comparitive and lower priced product you would be a very rich man.

And I would buy a chair... lol.

You only live once and for a chair you will be using at least 3 to 4 hours a day it is worth it even if it lasts 2 years.

Well I spent 3x as much on those cheata cub cylinders on my desk for my ATV, and it only gets ridden like 10 times a year. But it sure puts a smile on my face. As does the chair that I use every day, so I guess it was a good value for me! but hey Cheata Cubs and Ergo Humans are not for everyone.

I suppose the issue is if a $500 chair is really that much better for you than a cheaper alternative. It's something that is not so easily measured and can vary greatly by body type and preference. We all assume that this chair is better than your standard run of the mill office depot chair, but how much better? To the wealthy even if it is a barely percieved difference it could be worth the much higher purchase price, but if you are living on a strict budget, can the value added justify the purchase price?

If you could convince people even 50% of the time that your $500 product is leaps and bounds better than a comparitive and lower priced product you would be a very rich man.

I do understand what you are saying, but get this from me. I just had surgery due to a herniated disk on S1. The most PAINFUL experience ever. And after my entire career of sitting on cheap, flimsy, faux ergonomic chairs, I'm done with that garbage. Period. My body physically won't take it anymore, even if I wanted it to.

I'll tell you from experience. NEVER ever trust those cheap chairs for comfort. They're there to hold you up and keep you off the floor, that's all. Might as well be sitting on a metal/wood box, because they do nothing for your posture or comfort. A lot of people might disagree with me, but try sitting for 16+ hours a day for almost 10 years. Nothing but the best will do.

Since Kyle is in the same boat as me with the herniated disk issues, I assume - no, I KNOW he knows what he's talking about. If he says it's comfortable, it damn right is.

And I will know tonight for myself. I'm receiving it, I'll set it all up, and let you all know how it goes.

Typing from the chair right now.

This is, without doubt, the most comfortable chair that I have EVER, EVER sat in in my entire life.

Firstly, the mesh itself is not a gratish type of mesh; it is extremely soft and pleasant. It's almost "trampolinish" if you will. It cradles you and conforms to your posture. This is excellent for my lower spine, and I can already feel comfortable long hours in this chair.

The amount of adjustability is mind boggling. The seat can move forward backward, the back adjusts height to conform to your lumbar area, the headrest adjusts to your neck position, you can have free recline, locked recline, and, of course, up and down. All without having to reach under your chair for a lever. It's kind of like sitting in a car.

The armrests are excellent. They are soft, not hard like most cheap plastic chairs have them. They are made of some sort of foam that is soft, yet firm to the touch. It won't rip, that's for sure. The armrests move up and down and the actual armrest swings side to side, 3 positions.

Plus, you get the coolness factor. Your workstation will look like an ultramodern spaceship cockpit.

There is absolutely no hint of cheapness. No creaking, swaying, nothing. The chair even moves easily, but not easily enough to roll from under you when you are doing intensive typing.

Overall, this chair lets you RELAX. I think I'm going to fall asleep in it!

I'm starting to sound like a salesman...but it's true. You get what you pay for. After 10+ years of suffering, no more! I'm finally free.

If you decide to buy this chair, you will NOT regret it.

Wow, great reviews on this chair. One day I may justify $500 for it. Until then, I'll continue using my relatively new $150'ish chair I got from Staples. anonuser, I also see what you're saying on trying to quantify the value of a high-end chair. I'm thinking that when my current chair dies (it should last 5-10 years), then I'll get this kind of Aeron copycat chair. :cool:

i sprang for it too. I figure I spend so much money on new electronic toys that dont really do me much good i might as well spend some of that money on something thats actually good for me.

For what it's worth, you don't need to spend $500 to get a good chair.

I actually have that chair at work... while it is nice and comfortable it doesn't support you like an ergonomic chair does. You just kind of slouch into it, which isn't a bad thing, but it's really not in the same category.

anonuser, I also see what you're saying on trying to quantify the value of a high-end chair. I'm thinking that when my current chair dies (it should last 5-10 years), then I'll get this kind of Aeron copycat chair. :cool:

Hopefully by then we will have floating chairs that double as hoverboards.

I have had this chair:
http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=623229&No=60&Nr=200000&N=253632&An=browse

for 5 years and prefer it quite a bit to the Aeron I use at work.

For what it's worth, you don't need to spend $500 to get a good chair.

yea I sat in it it was ok, but nothing like the ergohuman. In fact i prefered teh Best Buy Gaming chair for 120 over tha tone because it had some differnet kind of mesh and nice wheels. That chair has No adjustments etc (Just height and sping tension). It's like a nicer version of my old chair.

I don't mean to disparage anyone's choice or anything. If a $500 chair is what it takes for you to be comfortable or for your back not to hurt or whatever, it's absolutely a great and worthwhile investment. I just think that chairs are very personal things and not everyone needs to spend tons of money to get the right chair :)

The chair back IS the chair... so really this is just low quality mesh on a frame.

It's the exact chair rebranded as Office Depot without the 3 piece back. If you say the mesh is low quality on this chair, then you are saying that the mesh is low quality on the ErgoHuman.

That being said, he asked for a comfortable chair in the $200-$300 range, which this is.

It's the exact chair rebranded as Office Depot without the 3 piece back. If you say the mesh is low quality on this chair, then you are saying that the mesh is low quality on the ErgoHuman.

That being said, he asked for a comfortable chair in the $200-$300 range, which this is.

Actually from looking at both of them at my local store the mesh was different. It does look like it comes from the same factory though so I could be wrong, but it definitely looked and felt different.

And the 3 piece back really is what makes the chair great, well the lumbar support in particular, the headrest is just a bonus. I didn't find the $300 chair any more comfortable than any of the $100 chairs.

$300 - Office Depot "Quantum" Brand (rebranded Raynor? Definitely looks like it from the base. The mesh does look different though imo and not just the color of grey vs black)
234750_sk_lg.jpg

$550 - Raynor Ergohuman Mid-Back
424345_sk_lg.jpg

$600 - Raynor Ergohuman High-Back
424338_sk_lg.jpg

Week or so later....still loving mine. Has helped my back feel better.

How long do you guys typically sit in your chairs? I sometimes find myself in mine for almost 8 hours, and that's AFTER work. This requires me to constantly readjust/shift/move, and I tend to develop problems if I do it too often.

How long do you guys typically sit in your chairs? I sometimes find myself in mine for almost 8 hours, and that's AFTER work. This requires me to constantly readjust/shift/move, and I tend to develop problems if I do it too often.

Let's see. Figuring I get home from work about 5PM, I'm usually on my computer from that time to about 1AM, during this month only. Regularly, 2PM. So that's 9 hrs, and that's AFTER work. Work is 8 hours. I'm sitting for 17 hours a day. :eek:

Exactly why i figured i should spend some money on something thats actually good for me. Was starting to get back pains since I spend so much time in my chair :p

Let's see. Figuring I get home from work about 5PM, I'm usually on my computer from that time to about 1AM, during this month only. Regularly, 2PM. So that's 9 hrs, and that's AFTER work. Work is 8 hours. I'm sitting for 17 hours a day. :eek:

Holy crap! :eek:

And I thought I sat in my chair a lot at ~3 hrs./day at home (in addition to the 10 hrs. I spend at work in a typical day).

Holy crap! :eek:

And I thought I sat in my chair a lot at ~3 hrs./day at home (in addition to the 10 hrs. I spend at work in a typical day).

Trust me, I can already feel the difference: usually after a tense match of UT2004, my lower back would be aching to no end, my arms from elbow to wrist would be killing me. But with this chair, no more! I just finished a 1.5 hour match. I feel great.

I'm shopping for a new chair and saw the ergohuman recently, but didn't have time to sit in it. The metal folding torture device I'm currently sitting on is destroying my legs. I have sat in a number of high end chairs including the aeron, herman miller mirra, steelcase leap, and humanscale liberty & freedom. The worst chair was the mirra. It has this cushion in the seat that digs into your thighs and the lumbar is pretty bad. I also couldn't get over the fact that the chair looks like the hairy red monster on looney toones. The aeron is grossly overrated. I think most people buy it for the name. It's a little more comfy than the mirra, however, and the new lumbar system is much better than the older one. Both the aeron and the mirra require you to push off the ground with your legs in order to recline.

The leap chair has a couple of flaws: the lumbar is about as bad as the aeron's (the older one), no forward tilt option, the lower part of the chairs back didn't come in contact with my back when sitting up straight and reclining. There is no spring or force to push you back upright after reclining, which was such an uncomfortable thing to do that I wondered if the chair was broken.

I think the liberty chair has an incredibly good backrest. My whole back came in contact with the chair. No lumbar needed. Humanscale perfected the recline on their chairs. There are three issues with the chair, though. The gel seat was rather hard and I think it might cause thigh problems after a couple hours of sitting. There is no forward tilt available on it. The third problem is the armrests don't adjust inwards or pivot. They are too far apart for a lot of people, including me, thus becoming useless. The freedom chair is a lot like the liberty, but I found it a little less comfortable than the liberty in almost all areas.

There are a couple more high end task chairs that I would like to try out such as the Ahrend's 230 and Haworth's zody, but unfortunately the only showrooms for them are in NYC. Overall, I'm dissapointed with the prices of all of the chairs I've sat in considering they all have such glaring flaws. It's not that I wont pay $800 for a chair, but rather I wont pay $800 for an uncomfortable chair.

Trust me, I can already feel the difference: usually after a tense match of UT2004, my lower back would be aching to no end, my arms from elbow to wrist would be killing me. But with this chair, no more! I just finished a 1.5 hour match. I feel great.

That is great and it's worth the $ if your health has been improved. I don't have any comfort problems w/ my traditional office chair (at work or home), so I'll stay with that. :)

You mentioned UT 2004. I haven't played that in about a year. I need to get back into it. :cool:

Overall, I'm dissapointed with the prices of all of the chairs I've sat in considering they all have such glaring flaws. It's not that I wont pay $800 for a chair, but rather I wont pay $800 for an uncomfortable chair.

I just bought the Ergohuman after sitting in it a few times in Office Depot. It will be here next week. Honestly it feels a lot better than the few "high-end" chairs I've sat in. I especially liked the lumbar support, not too much and not too little.

You mentioned UT 2004. I haven't played that in about a year. I need to get back into it. :cool:

UT3 is due out this holiday season or Q1 2008... on PC, 360, and PS3. And PS3 is going to have keyboard/mouse support.

ok, found a deal on this for $460 shipped, but one last question:

How does your skin hold up to the mesh after prolonged use? If I want to site in the chair without a shirt, or if I'm in boxers or something...will my skin be red with welps for an hour or more's use?

How does your skin hold up to the mesh after prolonged use? If I want to site in the chair without a shirt, or if I'm in boxers or something...will my skin be red with welps for an hour or more's use?

I sit in the chair with shorts (boxers) for more than 8 hours. No welps, no redness, nothing like that. Just shift your position every now and then (normal). You'll be just fine. Like I pointed out in my mini review, the mesh is not gratish.

That blue chair looks really nice, I like that color a lot. Sitting in a free chair someone gave me, I don't know if I could spend this much on a chair though. I do sit in my chair for probably 8 hours everyday and even longer on weekends, but still the price is discouraging.

Where did you find it for that price?

Where did you find it for that price?

FYI, I ordered it brand new off eBay for $425 shipped. It doesn't usually come up for a decent price often but it's worth checking.

I recieve it Tuesday I'll post then.

$425? Did you order the one with the box pictured for $320 + shipping?

Cheapest I have found are just offers sellers are willing to accept ($460).

$425? Did you order the one with the box pictured for $320 + shipping?

Cheapest I have found are just offers sellers are willing to accept ($460).

No, I bid on that one actually but got outbid at the last second from 300 to the winning 320. There was one up for $450 buy it now and the time ran out. I messaged the guy and told him I'd give him $400 shipped and he countered with $425 which I agreed to. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230177396909&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=013

The one that was $320 + shipping was used, well at least it was opened, put together, and then taken apart and boxed back up. Kind of shady. The one I bought is brand new.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Nice job. A lot of the e-tailers won't accept anything below 450 or 460, but I'm keeping my eyes peeled. So far everything about the chair seems to be worth it, but the mesh is keeping me leery. I have a bony ass, so I keep having visions of an ass-shaped depression in 6 months. :(

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back