EVGA SLi Mobo discussion thread. Come one, come all.

acroig said:
My 3700+ with a Thermaltake Volcano shows 43c idle and 60c load using Prime 95. I don't think the temps are right though. I saw your post at the evga forum, I doubt they'll tell you to go ahead and flash it (warranty issue) with a non evga BIOS. May want to wait till they post a new BIOS on their site. My .02.

Roger that on the temps...
I was planning on waiting on for a bios but the only posts from an EVGA employee i could find referred to BIOS updates as when and IF they come out...doesn't give me much faith :( And the bios revision that fixes this horrible setting-revert-to-default problem i'm having has been released by jetway for over a month.... :(

qbackin said:
Got a good review. If you guys read that and look at the numbers in the bios and cpuz, he is having the same temp problems. And vcore readings are no go in cpuz.

Hopefully this will all be corrected in a BIOS revision. :rolleyes:

headless said:
Roger that on the temps...
I was planning on waiting on for a bios but the only posts from an EVGA employee i could find referred to BIOS updates as when and IF they come out...doesn't give me much faith :( And the bios revision that fixes this horrible setting-revert-to-default problem i'm having has been released by jetway for over a month.... :(

I get the feeling that EVGA will come through on BIOS updates. It probably works this this:

1) Jetway makes the BIOS

2) Jetway send BIOS to EVGA

3) EVGA modifies BIOS to suit their mobo

Remember that the Jetway BIOS is dated 7-17 and the EVGA boards have a 7-7 (I believe) BIOS. Just give it a little time. Does your problem happen at stock speed and volts?

The problem is that it reverts to stock speed and volts on reboot from whatever they are set to in the bios -- effectively, i can't change them. I reboot and it ignores my BIOS settings.

I have a feeling the only difference between the BIOS's is the logo... :/

On the plus side, DHL just delivered my new 21" monitor :D And the people rejoiced!!!! :D Replacing an OOOOLD ass 17" that wouldnt do above 1024x768 :D Now i can really give the 7800GT something to chew on.

OH THE HUMANITY!! After reading all this, I went ahead and spent 549 on the GTX deal on ZZF. I was going to wait on eVGA but I figured I should get in while I could. I hate you guys for doing this.....well until it gets here, then I'll prob love you all :eek:

grendelrt said:
OH THE HUMANITY!! After reading all this, I went ahead and spent 549 on the GTX deal on ZZF. I was going to wait on eVGA but I figured I should get in while I could. I hate you guys for doing this.....well until it gets here, then I'll prob love you all :eek:

You won't be disappointed, let us know how it goes. :)

acroig said:
You won't be disappointed, let us know how it goes. :)

I wont be able to play with it for at least a week or so, I got to wait till I have enough money to pick up a new processor. I want a 4400+ but they are just so damn expensive right now :(

headless said:
The problem is that it reverts to stock speed and volts on reboot from whatever they are set to in the bios -- effectively, i can't change them. I reboot and it ignores my BIOS settings.

On the plus side, DHL just delivered my new 21" monitor :D And the people rejoiced!!!! :D Replacing an OOOOLD ass 17" that wouldnt do above 1024x768 :D Now i can really give the 7800GT something to chew on.

I believe you tried different memory? How about power supply? If all else fails stay at default until new BIOS comes out. Your setup is fast at stock, no? Otherwise, if you attempt to flash that Jetway BIOS, you may need a new one. Want to risk it?

Niiiice monitor!!

grendelrt said:
I wont be able to play with it for at least a week or so, I got to wait till I have enough money to pick up a new processor. I want a 4400+ but they are just so damn expensive right now :(

True enough. How about getting a cheap 3000+ Venice and wait for the 4400+ to come down in price? Just a thought! :)

acroig said:
I believe you tried different memory? How about power supply? If all else fails stay at default until new BIOS comes out. Your setup is fast at stock, no? Otherwise, if you attempt to flash that Jetway BIOS, you may need a new one. Want to risk it?

Niiiice monitor!!

Nope, same memory. It's not bad. I just contacted eVGA and they are going to email me a bios that may fix the issue. :)

My setup would be fast stock if i wasn't expecting 2.7ghz fast out of it now :) I kinda like cs:source @ over 80fps 80% of the time... ;)

It's been running prime95 all day now, going on 7hours, at 270x10. Seems like it may have been memory instability. I'll play with it tonight.

headless said:
Nope, same memory. It's not bad. I just contacted eVGA and they are going to email me a bios that may fix the issue. :)

My setup would be fast stock if i wasn't expecting 2.7ghz fast out of it now :) I kinda like cs:source @ over 80fps 80% of the time... ;)

It's been running prime95 all day now, going on 7hours, at 270x10. Seems like it may have been memory instability. I'll play with it tonight.

Just curious... Your sig says your GT is running 430/1.05. Did you get the combo deal? I did and my GT runs 450/1.07 stock. Just wonderin', that's all... :)

headless said:

EVGA seems to have very good customer service. Please let us know when you get the new BIOS. Also, can you post your oc settings? (RAM, HTT, CPU Volts) Thanks!

WhyYouLoveMe said:
Just curious... Your sig says your GT is running 430/1.05. Did you get the combo deal? I did and my GT runs 450/1.07 stock. Just wonderin', that's all... :)

Yes, mine was the combo deal; but mine only does 425/1.01 stock...hmmm

acroig said:
EVGA seems to have very good customer service. Please let us know when you get the new BIOS. Also, can you post your oc settings? (RAM, HTT, CPU Volts) Thanks!

Vcore is set to 1.525 but is showing 1.54 in bios + 'myguard'. I'll be bringing that down now that i can finally monitor it in windows, to 1.52 or so. I'll post pictures of my bios settings tonight once i get some more tweakage done :)

eVGA will have made a life customer out of me if they do us well by this board/deal.

headless said:
Vcore is set to 1.525 but is showing 1.54 in bios + 'myguard'. I'll be bringing that down now that i can finally monitor it in windows, to 1.52 or so. I'll post pictures of my bios settings tonight once i get some more tweakage done :)

eVGA will have made a life customer out of me if they do us well by this board/deal.

Thanks, I'd appreciate the pics! Weird about the vid card clock? Have you tried setting it to 450? About the board, why don't you try relaxing the memory and see if the boot problems go away, try disabling bank interleaving as well. Just a thought.

Yup, i'll be relaxing timings first thing tonight and seeing if i can get her stable @ 230mhz, maybe cas 2.5-3-3-7? I've also heard about the ram i have not liking high voltages so i'm going to do the counterintuitive thing and drop it down from 2.85 to 2.75v.

headless said:
Yup, i'll be relaxing timings first thing tonight and seeing if i can get her stable @ 230mhz, maybe cas 2.5-3-3-7? I've also heard about the ram i have not liking high voltages so i'm going to do the counterintuitive thing and drop it down from 2.85 to 2.75v.

Let us know how it goes.

headless said:
Yes, mine was the combo deal; but mine only does 425/1.01 stock...hmmm

I'm using RivaTuner to see the clock speeds, so maybe install that and see what you're getting. (if you haven't already) I haven't o/c the card, yet, but the thing only runs at 40C idle! Holy crap, that's cool! On full load after playing BF2 for an hour or so it was only at 60C. This thing rocks!

Of course, this is due to the EVGA mobo. (hehe... not thread-stealing...) :D

headless said:

Go see the reply Wade gave on the evga forum.

Yup i noticed that. I'm not thinking about trying that BIOS anyway now that their tech support has agreed to send me an updated one. I'll call em if i havent gotten it in the next 3 hours :D

headless said:
Yup i noticed that. I'm not thinking about trying that BIOS anyway now that their tech support has agreed to send me an updated one. I'll call em if i havent gotten it in the next 3 hours :D

Yeah I would definately like to see/hear about this bios they are sending to you.

qbackin said:
Yeah I would definately like to see/hear about this bios they are sending to you.

Count me in as well! Including detailed flashing instructions! :)

Well. Last night was fucking fun. Though she prime95's for 18+hours @ 2700 w/ ram @ 180mhz 2-2-2-5-1T, the board refuses to run @ 2650/229mhz RAM @ 1T AT ALL -- i loosened timings all the way out to 2.5-4-4--8-1T and still received errors in less than 3 minutes (and bluescreens if attempting to game). To add insult to injury, at one point the board would not respond to any input even with bios reset and power yanked/re-applied. It just sat there in a dazed state -- don't fuck with that 7-shift cpu shit in bios mmkay.

headless said:
Well. Last night was fucking fun. Though she prime95's for 18+hours @ 2700 w/ ram @ 180mhz 2-2-2-5-1T, the board refuses to run @ 2650/229mhz RAM @ 1T AT ALL -- i loosened timings all the way out to 2.5-4-4--8-1T and still received errors in less than 3 minutes (and bluescreens if attempting to game). To add insult to injury, at one point the board would not respond to any input even with bios reset and power yanked/re-applied. It just sat there in a dazed state -- don't fuck with that 7-shift cpu shit in bios mmkay.

I'm having the same issue with OCZ Platinum Rev 2 TCCD. It's the 1T all right. Forget what I said before about disabling bank interleaving. It's the 1T, at 2T there's no issues. Please go to the thread linked below and tell Wade of the 1T problem. BTW, OCCT is awesome at catching these errors right away. If you can do 30 minutes of OCCT stable you're OK. Note that Memtest + 1.60 will NOT fail running 1T, but no stability in windows at 1T. Odd that Anand had no problem running 1T with the Jetway board. When are you getting the new BIOS from EVGA?

http://www.evga.com/Community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7817

I posted in the thread and explained my issues with 1T for Wade; we'll see what happens. I'm not entirely unhappy; i'm getting 5+gb/sec of bandwidth @ 180 2-2-2-5-1T at least and my CPU is testing now in prime95 stable 5+hours so far @ 2743. Unfortunately i have to set my clock via clockgen each boot because my bios forgets the fsb setting on reboots... but otherwise it usually boots ;) Just don't try 200mhz + at 1t :(

I'm going to call evga and ask about the bios in an hour or so, they don't open until right now... gonna give them time to get situated...

headless said:
I posted in the thread and explained my issues with 1T for Wade; we'll see what happens. I'm not entirely unhappy; i'm getting 5+gb/sec of bandwidth @ 180 2-2-2-5-1T at least and my CPU is testing now in prime95 stable 5+hours so far @ 2743. Unfortunately i have to set my clock via clockgen each boot because my bios forgets the fsb setting on reboots... but otherwise it usually boots ;) Just don't try 200mhz + at 1t :(

I'm going to call evga and ask about the bios in an hour or so, they don't open until right now... gonna give them time to get situated...

So, at anything below 200mhz you can do 1T no problem? OK, good thing you posted in the evga thread. Nice detailed post. I see that the 4 pin molex does nothing for you. I will go back and plug mine in tonight. Does it help with overall stability?

Do me a favor and stop using Prime 95. OCCT will catch errors in minutes or seconds, not hours. Prime is good if you really want to heat up the CPU. Let us know when EVGA sends you the new BIOS. :)

For anyone who's having issues with RAM at 1T please post your RAM make, part number at the EVGA thread posted above so EVGA knows of the problem Thanks!

I'd love to be able to test by lowering my CPU multiplier and running RAM @ 200mhz 2-2-2-5-1t but i can't adjust multiplier (it forgets it on reboot) LOL. I'll try running @ stock speeds @ 1t and see if i can get it stable with any combination of timings while keeping 1T enabled...
I'm gonna call them about that BIOS update now.

My buddy Jake said that he's going to try and get the BIOS sent out today - and that there are a couple of people he's sending it to when he gets it from the engineers...... ;)

I'm running OCCT on my machine now, testing 2730mhz.

headless said:
My buddy Jake said that he's going to try and get the BIOS sent out today - and that there are a couple of people he's sending it to when he gets it from the engineers...... ;)

'OCCT' means....???

Link?

dderidex said:
'OCCT' means....???

Link?

It's a stress testing program from France :( It works really well. Look for the link in the first or second page of this thread.

headless said:

You have "buddies" inside EVGA? Good for you (and us I hope) The 2730 is what FSB?

LOL, 2730 = 273mhz FSB, DRAM @ 182mhz, 2-2-2-5-1T

So, this OCCT program just passed it's test at the same settings that just errored out in prime95 after 6 hours....
I'm going to go back to using prime95 ;) It might take longer but it finds problems...

headless said:
LOL, 2730 = 273mhz FSB, DRAM @ 182mhz, 2-2-2-5-1T

So, this OCCT program just passed it's test at the same settings that just errored out in prime95 after 6 hours....
I'm going to go back to using prime95 ;) It might take longer but it finds problems...

Thanks for the FSB/DRAM settings. I forgot the 3200 was at 10x! :) Use the torture test on OCCT, not the 30 minute one. OCCT will find the errors faster, if Prime takes 6 hours, OCCT will take 1 or 2 to find errors. Are you getting better numbers with your RAM at 182 1T than at 273 2T?

I haven't tried running my RAM @ 1:1 at all yet...but moving from 2t to 1t went from 3gb/sec @ 230/2t to 5.2gb/sec @ 1t/180mhz...
it's a real bitch to play with this since i can't really reboot to test any settings because of the bios problems ;)

headless said:

If and when you get a copy of the new BIOS could I get you to email it to me please?? amdscooter(at)comcast.net

thanks
-s

Back