EVGA SLi Mobo discussion thread. Come one, come all.

headless said:
I haven't tried running my RAM @ 1:1 at all yet...but moving from 2t to 1t went from 3gb/sec @ 230/2t to 5.2gb/sec @ 1t/180mhz...
it's a real bitch to play with this since i can't really reboot to test any settings because of the bios problems ;)

Well, I tried doing 10 x 260 but the board hung for 10 seconds at boot. When it finally did boot it was at 200. Went into the BIOS and it was reading 260 FSB! Need new BIOS now! Thanks for the info on the RAM.

acroig said:
Well, I tried doing 10 x 260 but the board hung for 10 seconds at boot. When it finally did boot it was at 200. Went into the BIOS and it was reading 260 FSB! Need new BIOS now! Thanks for the info on the RAM.

There you go! You're seeing what i'm seeing; the board does not apply the settings on boot. I use clockgen to set it to the right speeds :)

I set my RAM timing to 2T, CAS3, 4-4-8...
I could get up to around 260fsb @ 1:1 before i got a blue screen in windows. Very unimpressed. I've got it set back to 273 FSB now @ 180mhz, 2-2-2-5-1T.

headless said:
There you go! You're seeing what i'm seeing; the board does not apply the settings on boot. I use clockgen to set it to the right speeds :)

I set my RAM timing to 2T, CAS3, 4-4-8...
I could get up to around 260fsb @ 1:1 before i got a blue screen in windows. Very unimpressed. I've got it set back to 273 FSB now @ 180mhz, 2-2-2-5-1T.

OK, let me try clockgen. Right now I have it at 239 FSB (2629) 199RAM 1T. I hope they're working on a new BIOS. :(

Well the form mod says the Jetway BIOS is not for the EVGA. But if when my setup arrives in the next 2 days or so the MOBO keeps resetting to stock I'll give the Jetway a try. I have used other manufacturers BIOS's on rebadged MOBO's and Video cards before with 100% success. I cannot see any reason why it would not work as they both probably come off the same assembly line. The only difference probably being the color scheme. Hopefully EVGA will just release a new BIOS soon. Using clockgen is great to find your max OC, but it would suck to have to use it every time you fire your rig up.

Evil Scooter said:
Well the form mod says the Jetway BIOS is not for the EVGA. But if when my setup arrives in the next 2 days or so the MOBO keeps resetting to stock I'll give the Jetway a try. I have used other manufacturers BIOS's on rebadged MOBO's and Video cards before with 100% success. I cannot see any reason why it would not work as they both probably come off the same assembly line. The only difference probably being the color scheme. Hopefully EVGA will just release a new BIOS soon. Using clockgen is great to find your max OC, but it would suck to have to use it every time you fire your rig up.

I bet money the jetway bios will work just fine on this mobo. EVGA just wants you to see their splash screen when it boots up lol

Nettwerk said:
I bet money the jetway bios will work just fine on this mobo. EVGA just wants you to see their splash screen when it boots up lol

LOL! :D QTF

Well, CMON you bastards quit betting money on it and bet your BIOS on it... :D Let me know if it works kthx

LOL

Is a floppy disk required to update the bios on this board or do they have an app to do it within Windows like Abit?

Thanks,
Mario64

I haven't seen a windows based flasher for this board yet, so i would say using a floppy is the only way

mario64 said:
Is a floppy disk required to update the bios on this board or do they have an app to do it within Windows like Abit?

Thanks,
Mario64

The board comes with a floppy that I believe contains the update software. Don't know if it's for Win or DOS as there is no new BIOS from EVGA to update with. I'm not man enough to risk my BIOS with the Jetway one. :D

Ok. Thanks for the replies. Guess I'll hook up my old, trusty floppy drive then. Was hoping to be able to get rid of him finally. :D

Mario64

mario64 said:
Ok. Thanks for the replies. Guess I'll hook up my old, trusty floppy drive then. Was hoping to be able to get rid of him finally. :D

Mario64

Floppies are going to be around for some time. Now someone Cowboy up and try that BIOS!! I got my UPS shipping # last night, prolly get the combo in the mail sometime next week. Now all I need is a nice venice core A64... ;p

Fuck it! Im gonna save the original bios and flash to the 939GT4-SLI-G-EC/OC jetway bios

Oh yea, invest in a usb floppy drive, much nicer :)

*update* just spoke with wade shelley from evga, he wants everyone who is having 1t stability difficulties to list their memory manufacturer, type, and part number so we can get this fixed if possible and also if anyone wants to *in this thread* state any other issues they would like corrected in the bios release..

also he mentioned the factor of limited space for the bios file and that some of the oc features come at the cost of space for fixes etc so everything might not get fixed.. (i mentioned removing the evga logo to save space ;) )

ok so i called evga and reported a bunch of these issues (1t stability @ 200+, speeds not sticking in bios, evga logo, temp bug) and will be called back today by a tier 2 tech to get the issues officially noted so they can update the bios (yea they havent started yet he said). So guys please let me know any issues I am missing that you would like fixed.

BTW, note for you guys considering this board, it does NOT comply to amd thermal guidelines in that if you are trying to use a metal backplate to mount a heatsink or watercooling you will find that a resistor on the underside of the zif socket interferes with mounting this standardized steel mount. (i used a jigsaw to cut a notch in my plate to mount my alpha).

headless please if you could note your dram clk and ht multi to get 2700 w/ram at 180 that would be baddass. the light bulb went on this morning as far as 64bit oc'ing goes and now this makes much more sense. im presuming the dram clk setting in bios is the mem divider and the ht speed is the ht multi, while cpu clk would be the fsb. just throw up some screenshots of your bios at that stable clock if you could. or list the settin's.

lastly, I cant seem to get more than ~2100 mb/sec on my mem: mushkin lv1v1 3200 2-3-2-6 -> runs at 2-4-2-6 on this board @ 200. putting 1t on brings me up to 2300mb/sec but is only stable in memtest with the memory at 2.82v and mostlikely not in windows (though i havent primed yet)

thanks guys,

-matt

HAHAHAHHA I FLASHED AND IT WORKS :D

Got rid of the EVGA logo at bootup too.

To save you old bios make bootable floppy and put AWDFLASH on it. Boot to A:\ and type AWDFLASH /sy and then when it says "program file:" leave it blank and then it will ask if you want to save old file and type the name in which you want to save the original bios too (i.e. EVGA.BIN)

To flash make a bootable floppy get AWDFLASH and then d/l the new 939GT4-SLI-G-EC/OC bios. Goto "miscellaneous options" in the bios and turn FLASH PROTECT to off then boot to floppy and flash to the new bios :)

Great news, nettwerk :) Now get her o/ced and confirm it's stable ;)

I just received an updated bios from eVGA, i'll report back if it fixes any of my issues.

2 quick things headless., can you pop me that bios via email? im pm'ing you my addy.

and whats ur ht multiplier for the 2700 mhz oc. 3x or 4x?

-m

Ok so i keep seeing these issues with using aftermarket heatsinks on this board. I have a XP90 on the way for this board. What am I going to need to get this thing to fit? So far I heard something about screws not fitting and now the back plate not fitting?

If the back plate is metal, then you might have an issue. Otherwise, your XP-90 will work just fine. Be sure to install your RAM first, though. I'm using a Zalman CNSP7000-AlCu and it has a plastic backplate. No "jigging" necessary. :) Lucky me... Anyway, it's working well and there are not clearance issues with the RAM or the MOFSETS heatsink. Good stuff! The layout of this board is PERFECT!

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/at64ba.html

^ this thing wont fit if your cooler needs it:

you gotta cut a notch into the backplate with a jigsaw to make room for the one resistor on the back that sits outside of the cut out square in the plate. the default fugly yellow plate uses pin clips and can be removed. and yes the holes are large enough to accomodate your shizzy, i put an alpha pal on w/no issues once the backplate had a notch for the resistor.

sinewave said:
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/at64ba.html

^ this thing wont fit if your cooler needs it:

you gotta cut a notch into the backplate with a jigsaw to make room for the one resistor on the back that sits outside of the cut out square in the plate. the default fugly yellow plate uses pin clips and can be removed. and yes the holes are large enough to accomodate your shizzy, i put an alpha pal on w/no issues once the backplate had a notch for the resistor.

The actual issue I heard with the screws was that the holes were too big which made the screws need a washer of some sort hold down the heatsink. Thanks for the fast replies btw.

Nettwerk said:
HAHAHAHHA I FLASHED AND IT WORKS :D

To save you old bios make bootable floppy and put AWDFLASH on it. Boot to A:\ and type AWDFLASH /sy and then when it says "program file:" leave it blank and then it will ask if you want to save old file and type the name in which you want to save the original bios too (i.e. EVGA.BIN)

To flash make a bootable floppy get AWDFLASH and then d/l the new 939GT4-SLI-G-EC/OC bios. Goto "miscellaneous options" in the bios and turn FLASH PROTECT to off then boot to floppy and flash to the new bios :)

You RULE man!! Mucho balls on your part! Now, tell us if it resolves our 1T and oc issues please!

headless said:

I just received an updated bios from eVGA, i'll report back if it fixes any of my issues.

Do tell please!

sinewave said:
*update* just spoke with wade shelley from evga, he wants everyone who is having 1t stability difficulties to list their memory manufacturer, type, and part number so we can get this fixed if possible and also if anyone wants to *in this thread* state any other issues they would like corrected in the bios release..

also he mentioned the factor of limited space for the bios file and that some of the oc features come at the cost of space for fixes etc so everything might not get fixed.. (i mentioned removing the evga logo to save space ;) )

ok so i called evga and reported a bunch of these issues (1t stability @ 200+, speeds not sticking in bios, evga logo, temp bug) and will be called back today by a tier 2 tech to get the issues officially noted so they can update the bios (yea they havent started yet he said). So guys please let me know any issues I am missing that you would like fixed.

BTW, note for you guys considering this board, it does NOT comply to amd thermal guidelines in that if you are trying to use a metal backplate to mount a heatsink or watercooling you will find that a resistor on the underside of the zif socket interferes with mounting this standardized steel mount. (i used a jigsaw to cut a notch in my plate to mount my alpha).

headless please if you could note your dram clk and ht multi to get 2700 w/ram at 180 that would be baddass. the light bulb went on this morning as far as 64bit oc'ing goes and now this makes much more sense. im presuming the dram clk setting in bios is the mem divider and the ht speed is the ht multi, while cpu clk would be the fsb. just throw up some screenshots of your bios at that stable clock if you could. or list the settin's.

lastly, I cant seem to get more than ~2100 mb/sec on my mem: mushkin lv1v1 3200 2-3-2-6 -> runs at 2-4-2-6 on this board @ 200. putting 1t on brings me up to 2300mb/sec but is only stable in memtest with the memory at 2.82v and mostlikely not in windows (though i havent primed yet)

thanks guys,

-matt

oh also

Great job. Nice to see Wade and the EVGA team hard at work on this.

headless said:

Coolness :). Can someone host the EVGA BIOS file up please? Or.. could you please email it to me: amdscooter (at) comcast.net

Nettwerk said:
HAHAHAHHA I FLASHED AND IT WORKS

To flash make a bootable floppy get AWDFLASH and then d/l the new 939GT4-SLI-G-EC/OC bios. Goto "miscellaneous options" in the bios and turn FLASH PROTECT to off then boot to floppy and flash to the new bios

I thought it would. Most cust supp guys are told not to tell folks to use the OEM's BIOS, liability issues. But in my experience they work just fine. Great news, post back and let us know if the issues are resolved using the Jetway BIOS. :)

600mhz HTT set in BIOS...
10x CPU multiplier
1.5v CPU
270mhz FSB/CPU
RAM = 180mhz (normally 166 but it runs @ 180 when fsb is 270.)

PMing you :)

Evil Scooter said:
Coolness :). Can someone host the EVGA BIOS file up please? Or.. could you please email it to me: amdscooter (at) comcast.net

I thought it would. Most cust supp guys are told not to tell folks to use the OEM's BIOS, liability issues. But in my experience they work just fine. Great news, post back and let us know if the issues are resolved using the Jetway BIOS. :)

Yup exactly.. Well So far so good here with the jetway bios! The overclocks the same and I have no issues with anything o/c wise (1t, htt resetting) I loaded windows up using evga raid drivers and nforce drivers that came on the cd heh. Im running venice 3000+ @ 2.6ghz 289x9 with the ram at 240 2-2-2-5. I dont see any difference running UTT in the blue or yellow slots either. The temperature is very wrong on this mobo still, I saw it reading 53c right when I booted up cold, and im w/ced lol.

Hows the new EVGA bios going?

headless said:
600mhz HTT set in BIOS...
10x CPU multiplier
1.5v CPU
270mhz FSB/CPU
RAM = 180mhz (normally 166 but it runs @ 180 when fsb is 270.)

PMing you :)

Nice, is it holding that setting on reboot now?? Looking to get that same model CPU in my Vapo setup, should clock nicely. Gonna miss this S754/3400 hammer though. It has been really good to me. :p

Nettwerk said:
Yup exactly.. Well So far so good here with the jetway bios! The overclocks the same and I have no issues with anything o/c wise (1t, htt resetting) I loaded windows up using evga raid drivers and nforce drivers that came on the cd heh. Im running venice 3000+ @ 2.6ghz 289x9 with the ram at 240 2-2-2-5. I dont see any difference running UTT in the blue or yellow slots either. The temperature is very wrong on this mobo still, I saw it reading 53c right when I booted up cold, and im w/ced lol.

Nice OC, is that at stock vcore?? Tossin a coin whether to go with the venice 3000/3200 or 3500. They all seem to top out about 2700 on decent cooling. But I like the higer multipliers on the higher models. Question at this point for me is are they worth the extra $100 or so, need to place order fairly soon.

yo you guys having 1t instability issues mail wade your memory type, specs, and manufacturer part number. he wants to build a list of people having the issue cause he only has 4 reports logged in @ evga

Evil Scooter said:
Nice OC, is that at stock vcore?? Tossin a coin whether to go with the venice 3000/3200 or 3500. They all seem to top out about 2700 on decent cooling. But I like the higer multipliers on the higher models. Question at this point for me is are they worth the extra $100 or so, need to place order fairly soon.

I traded a clawhammer for a 3200+ week 0516 that only does 2.5ghz and I got my 3000+ from ewiz was selling them for $114 hehhe I like my 3000+ more obviously :cool:

Nettwerk said:
I traded a clawhammer for a 3200+ week 0516 that only does 2.5ghz and I got my 3000+ from ewiz was selling them for $114 hehhe I like my 3000+ more obviously :cool:

Is your 3000 doing those speeds at stock Vcore? With my cooling I have pretty good luck OC'ing Hammer cores with just a slight bumb in Vcore, my 3400 is fine at 2600Mhz/1.525v. In my experience extreme Vcore in the A64's do little to help the OC. Then again that 1mb cache only helps a tad, I could live with only 512k. :p

You're running 2-2-2-5-1T @ 240mhz on the RAM?

Nettwerk said:

headless said:
You're running 2-2-2-5-1T @ 240mhz on the RAM?

Yea mushkin redline 4000 I either need more volts or 240 is all the memory controller will handle lol.. It ran at 250 3.3volts on my DFI nf4 but im not gonna hook up the booster cause I dont have any more room in my case for all that extra crap lol

headless said:
Were you able to run those timings before you reflashed the BIOS?

Same.. Actually the ram is 238 according to cpuz and memtest now.. It said it would be 240 using the 166 divider in the bios?

Back