Fallout 3: PC vs. 360 vs. PS3

Still don't get the whole "limiting myself with my PC setup" since I don't like to recline and play PC games that way but whatever. I already explained in another post that I didn't literally mean "hunched" but that's irrelevant anyway since I got the 360 version last night and I was lounging (not sitting at all) on my couch.

I do plan on getting the PC version once some mods come out and the price starts to drop but it's far more enjoyable for me to play on my 360 and get better sound and use a much bigger screen than my PC setup. Moving my gaming PC to the living room is also out of the question since I already have a PS3, 360, Wii, HTPC and a Sat Box. Not going to do all that for some sharper textures when the gameplay is virtually identical across all platforms.

Anyway, this whole argument is moot. You're having fun on the PC and I'm enjoying Fallout 3 currently on the 360. Bottom line is that Fallout 3 is a great game nevertheless.

yeah, what he said PLUS it's not all about the graphics ( or so I thought???)

If it was I would have to give fallout 1 +2 1/10 in the graphics departement

OUCH!

Infact, the PS3 the only console that requires installs and why it was debated many times be a terrible requirement for the system.

I've yet to meet another PS3 owner that gave a second of thought to the mandatory installs.

The system is the only next gen box with a hd spec'd into every unit, and it requires you to allow the games to use it to improve execution efficiency ! Crazy.:eek:

What's next ? You don't like the color ?

I've yet to meet another PS3 owner that gave a second of thought to the mandatory installs.

The system is the only next gen box with a hd spec'd into every unit, and it requires you to allow the games to use it to improve execution efficiency ! Crazy.:eek:

What's next ? You don't like the color ?

*edited - I mistook HD for high def and realized it was Hard Drive*

Improve execution efficiency? It obviously doesn't help them squeeze any more performance out as the ps3 crossplatform titles are more often than not subpar to 360. FO3 for example. To load times, I say "pffft."

I hate mandatory installs on my PS3. But if that is what they have to do to match load times of the 360 so that they are tolerable, I guess I will take it up the @ss and deal with it.

I think its time to fix up my rig again so I don't have to play the console versions. Besides, I don't have a HD tv to play the PS3 version on.

The PS3 can perform virtually infinite purposes. I can install Ubuntu (supported), and have a full OS, along with connecting a printer, keyboard, mouse, run it on a network, and perform almost anything a $700 PC could do.

That said, I would never do that. :D

Not quite.

App support will always always be limited on a *nix platform, as will hardware support and compatibility.

Then of course there is the RAM deficiency others have referred to.

Then of course there is the fact that the PS3's cell processor is a catch-22, while good at performing float ops, it will majorly suck in day-to-day OOE processes/computing.

Not very pragmatic and simply not worth the hassle if you are at all interested in performance, compatibility, and capabilities.

How in the hell did this turn into a PS3 bashing thread?!?!?

Sounds like a bunch of whiny haters to me. Personally, I have a PC, WII AND a PS3 and I enjoy playing ALL of my PS3 games including Dead Space, not to mention MGS4. Let me know when the RROD 360 can handle that.

Well the thread does mention ps3 in the title.
champagne.gif
content.gif
ecstatic.gif

Holy cow, sharing memory?!? :eek: If that's not 'next-gen' I don't know what is

LOL..Seemed like just yesterday these console were"next gen"..Oh yeah..that was yesterday..Funny how the 360 is adding the"feature"of game installs..:p

It's my understanding that they can share from each pool to increase each amount, and that the graphics processor has it's own memory.

From what I read, the PS3 doesn't share memory. 256mb XDR for the system and 256mb GDDR3 for the gpu.

It is the XBox360 that has 512mb of memory that is shared with the cpu and gpu (gpu has its own 10mb embedded).

Not quite.

App support will always always be limited on a *nix platform, as will hardware support and compatibility.

Then of course there is the RAM deficiency others have referred to.

App support? What can't I do on Linux that I can do a on Mac or Windows PC? Again, I am only asking, since I don't know. I use Mac and Windows, though I know of plenty of people that have Linux, and they have had an app for every item that compared to the competing platform.

The PS3 has 512mb of RAM, which is sufficient of Linux, from what I have read.

LOL..Seemed like just yesterday these console were"next gen"..Oh yeah..that was yesterday..Funny how the 360 is adding the"feature"of game installs..:p
Dude, my 360 sounds like a fucking blender when playing a game, even makes a really bassy 'broom!' sound when spinning down, it completely ridiculous compared to my silent pc (I'm not exaggerating, all my friends make fun of it). This install 'feature' is very welcome here.

first ps3 shot looked better than the 360 shot, but after that it was 360 > ps3. Seemed like the 360 had brightness way up, ps3 brightness way down.

Dude, my 360 sounds like a fucking blender when playing a game, even makes a really bassy 'broom!' sound when spinning down, it completely ridiculous compared to my silent pc (I'm not exaggerating, all my friends make fun of it). This install 'feature' is very welcome here.

Time for a new 360!

should i go with PC even if i only have a 7800 gt?

For mods alone, I would. Visually, it may look a little worse on your PC. The 7800GT is about on PAR with the R500 that's in the Xbox360 and I believe the PS3 has a nerfed 7800GTX.

If you don't do mods, I'd point you toward the consoles.

Why would you compare graphics quality, but save the pictures as jpg? :confused:

Why would you compare graphics quality, but save the pictures as jpg? :confused:

That's not fair, JPGs aren't always artifact ridden. That one has noticable artifacts (any edge, specially edges contrasted against the sky will show you that), but I can throw up a nicely compressed JPG next to a Bitmap and I bet 9/10 times no one will notice the difference... other than one will take forever to load. :D

App support? What can't I do on Linux that I can do a on Mac or Windows PC? Again, I am only asking, since I don't know. I use Mac and Windows, though I know of plenty of people that have Linux, and they have had an app for every item that compared to the competing platform.

The PS3 has 512mb of RAM, which is sufficient of Linux, from what I have read.

I guess you missed the post directly above yours
From what I read, the PS3 doesn't share memory. 256mb XDR for the system and 256mb GDDR3 for the gpu.

It is the XBox360 that has 512mb of memory that is shared with the cpu and gpu (gpu has its own 10mb embedded).

Time for a new 360!
well works just fine so I doubt MS will replace it just because the drive is loud, besides I won't have to hear that crap any more two weeks from now when the new dashboard comes out.

I wouldn't even have to put up with it or the controller if my PC hadn't started acting up right before the game came out and my buddy hooked me up with a free 360 copy the consolized FOV is killin me and no cvar on the 360 to increase it :mad:

No, I didn't miss it.
then you should know that the PS3 is limited to a <256mb framebuffer and that there is a huge penalty if you try to use the GPU to write to XDR. Which is why, besides the fillrate deficit, in almost every multiplat game the PS3 version has lower texture and rendering resolution, and/or runs at a lower framerate (madden).

That's not fair, JPGs aren't always artifact ridden. That one has noticable artifacts (any edge, specially edges contrasted against the sky will show you that), but I can throw up a nicely compressed JPG next to a Bitmap and I bet 9/10 times no one will notice the difference... other than one will take forever to load. :D

Actually, jpgs by the definition of the format always compress, and thus they always have artifacts. They should have taken the pictures in raw, and saved them as png.

People may not notice the difference, but when the entire point of looking at the pictures IS to notice the difference (ie. this thread), then it's likely that they would notice the difference in this case.

PlayStation 3 uses 256MB of XDR DRAM and and 256MB of GDDR3 RAM, used by the Cell and RSX respectively. However, each of the processors can also access each other's RAM as needed. This to me makes me believe that the PS3 could handle performing "acceptable" in a Linux environment.

How in the hell did this turn into a PS3 bashing thread?!?!?

Sounds like a bunch of whiny haters to me. Personally, I have a PC, WII AND a PS3 and I enjoy playing ALL of my PS3 games including Dead Space, not to mention MGS4. Let me know when the RROD 360 can handle that.

it started when a bunch of people started saying how bad the game looks on the consoles compared to the pc version.

i guess they never played fallout 1 and 2 lol:p

looks better on my ps3 than on my bros 360, but they did the same thing with the oblivion engine, some minor graphic knockouts here and there each different from both consoles. these screens look nothing like what i see on my tv, seems that the screen shot takers dont know how to adjust their tv's and ps3's to make games look way better, its very simple.

(of course the pc will always look better, but at least it has a far less crashing rate on consoles).

Yeah the PS3 version looks like A$$....WOW!!! Yeah the PC looks better but can I achieve those graphics with my socket 939 4800 2 gigs of ddr and a 8800 GT 512 and what would be my max resolution that would be the question. Great looks on the PC but can my modest rig hope to achieve that? Also don't discredit sound I'm sure it would sound awesome on my 1500 dollars home theater system. I would really like it for PC but can I run this thing to those PC visuals?

I'm running a socket 939 dual core AMD at 2.4ghz with a 4870 and 2gb of ram. At 1600x1200 all graphics settings at maximum and aa at 4x and af at 15 times (set in game engine, it goes form 0 to 15 by one unit increments).

So far plays nice and smooth with the occaisonal hitch when a lot of geometry and textures get loaded.

PS3 take a hit in cross platform games all the time when the games are developed with xbox or pc in mind. Aside from that, sony just decided to move towards impressive gameplay rather than graphics.

It's smart for the xbox to focus on graphics power since it's a big FPS system with a lot of PC players as owners.

They're different, but I'd hardly call one better than the other (apples and oranges people)

BTW, after microsoft bashed the ps3 for the mandatory installs constantly they decided to allow you to install 360 games to the hdd. Makes me laugh. I guess it wasn't a bad idea after all.

Why's everybody saying the ps3 version looks particularly crappy? To me, judging solely from the pics from the first post, the PC version looks marginally better then the consoles. However, the ps3/xbox screens look almost the same with a few minor differences, probably due to the way their gpus handles the colors and whatnot. In the first comparison pic, it actually looks like the ps3 version looks better then the sbox one. Look at the ground texture on the ps3 shot, it looks closer to the PC version than the Xbox one. Maybe the ps3 version runs at a lower framerate, I don't know, but judging from the screenshots the ps3 version looks no worse than the Xbox version.

BTW, after microsoft bashed the ps3 for the mandatory installs constantly they decided to allow you to install 360 games to the hdd. Makes me laugh. I guess it wasn't a bad idea after all.

Exactly. Because the PS3 has MANDATORY installs. The 360 doesn't, and never will. It's "optional" on the 360. Technically, you can't even install an ENTIRE game on the PS3 (besides GT5p from the retail disk).

Why's everybody saying the ps3 version looks particularly crappy? To me, judging solely from the pics from the first post, the PC version looks marginally better then the consoles. However, the ps3/xbox screens look almost the same with a few minor differences, probably due to the way their gpus handles the colors and whatnot. In the first comparison pic, it actually looks like the ps3 version looks better then the sbox one. Look at the ground texture on the ps3 shot, it looks closer to the PC version than the Xbox one. Maybe the ps3 version runs at a lower framerate, I don't know, but judging from the screenshots the ps3 version looks no worse than the Xbox version.

Well, the reviews are in, and the reviewers at the different sites and magazines have compared the them all, the PS3 looked the worst, and had too many frame rate dips, and performance issues.

it started when a bunch of people started saying how bad the game looks on the consoles compared to the pc version.

i guess they never played fallout 1 and 2 lol:p

Well the console kids have never been able to experience the first two at all(unless theyre also PC gamers). Ill admit I havent even played the first two.

And PC has better graphics hands down, no matter what the game. Costs less to PC game too.

Here's a cool picture I got owning a Supermutant :p Sorry it's low-res - and low-quality because of jpg - I was playing in a window.
I also got a minigun off of one of the supermutants, too bad I broke it when I threw grenades at him, gotta get it fixed. I love this game.

hahe.jpg

Ah I love the pc version being superior, not to mention it is the only version that has mods possible which puts it on a whole 'nother scale altogether.

Still waiting on my copy.... :(
But i'll get the CE edition at least and may actually use the lunchbox if i'm able...hehe
Can't wait to see this game a year from now when a ton of mods are out. If i remember right, people said the same things about oblivion as they are for fallout 3, yet with mods, a lot of the problems were addressed.

Wow, how ignorant.

Consoles definitely have the easy of use over PCs. All xbox360 games work right when you put them into your system. Infact, the PS3 the only console that requires installs and why it was debated many times be a terrible requirement for the system.

PCs definitely require installs, patches, driver updates, and god knows the time spent fixing errors/problems.

After 15 years of PC gaming I purchase all my games on consoles other than some FPS and RTS games. CoD4 and C&C Red Alert 3 being my last purchased PC games.

Funny, my 360 downloads and installs patches for all my games constantly. The only thing is it handles the downloads & installs for me, just like STEAM. Even if it didn't, though, I think I'm smart enough to do it myself.

I download patches and all kinds of other shit to my PC all the time to. And my 8800GTX has over 3 times the memory of the entire X-Box 360. I wonder how much more FP power it has... not to mention the actual processor in my PC.

Amazon says my copy of Fallout 3 will arrive today so I'll be playing after work. I already know it's going to look insanely better on my PC because compared to my 360 because I'm not retarded. I own Oblivion on my PC and I have played it plenty on the 360, if that's any comparison then BUY IT ON THE PC.

Back