FarCry 1.3 OpenEXR HDR Screenshots... Post 'em here!

joecuddles said:
Go go go! </CS>

Man that's some crazy overbright on the blue pic, yowza. New technologies in beta are soo cute.

You seem like a fanatic. Yes, it is imperfect, but in general, it makes the game so much more immersive than it was before HDR, that the occasional problem is forgiveable.

is it really worth attempting to convincing someone who doesn't have a 6800 card, and is just talking down the feature because he cannot use it? joe, stop being so bitter. There are plenty of performance tips in this thread if any are having an issue; and if you know how to configure it performance is not a problem. OpenEXR HDR looks great and is very playable, its a shame ATI was unable to incorporate it into their hardware, as then their users would be able to enjoy it as well. In a way I understand, it must be disappointing to buy a $500+ card and not be able to use one of the coolest pieces of eye candy to come around the block in a long time. Who exactly are you trying to convince that its not a useful feature? Yourself? Comforting other ATI users that also can't use it? Most with Nvidia cards here are choosing to use it over higher res w/ aa because it looks that much better and makes the game playing experience that much more fun. That says a lot, because we have the option of using it or not using it, and we are choosing the former for the most part.

the commands on the very first page of this thread show quotes around them,.

now that would be the first time ive ever seen a set of quotes wrapping a .exe based command line.

do i need the quotes around the HDR commands or no ?

v_lestat said:
the commands on the very first page of this thread show quotes around them,.

now that would be the first time ive ever seen a set of quotes wrapping a .exe based command line.

do i need the quotes around the HDR commands or no ?

I put quotes around the commands, and it works. I don't know if it works without.

tranCendenZ said:
is it really worth attempting to convincing someone who doesn't have a 6800 card, and is just talking down the feature because he cannot use it? joe, stop being so bitter. There are plenty of performance tips in this thread if any are having an issue; and if you know how to configure it performance is not a problem. OpenEXR HDR looks great and is very playable, its a shame ATI was unable to incorporate it into their hardware, as then their users would be able to enjoy it as well. In a way I understand, it must be disappointing to buy a $500+ card and not be able to use one of the coolest pieces of eye candy to come around the block in a long time. Who exactly are you trying to convince that its not a useful feature? Yourself? Comforting other ATI users that also can't use it? Most with Nvidia cards here are choosing to use it over higher res w/ aa because it looks that much better and makes the game playing experience that much more fun. That says a lot, because we have the option of using it or not using it, and we are choosing the former for the most part.

I only read the first 2 sentences of this post, because I can generally assume what the rest contains and I'm not really interested anymore. I'm not bitter about HDR, you obviously haven't read a single post I've made based on the subject. I think it's great as far as visuals go, but as far as actual performance goes, I see it as totally worthless right now. That's my opinion, try to live with it. I know it's hard, and I know it just kills your green heart, but try to accept the fact that dipping to 20 FPS in 1024 with no AA isn't something that sounds remotely appealing to me.

It's a new tech, I've said that. It'll improve, no doubt. With 1 (old) game using OpenEXR and 1 upcoming game using it after over 5 months on the shelves, we'll have maybe a total of two games using it by the end of the year? Until performance improves, I'm not interested. Did you want me to go buy a 6800U so I can say the exact same thing I'm saying now? Do I have to go to a LAN center and play it for 20 minutes to shut you up and somehow validate my opinion in your eyes?

Off the highhorse please, thanks.

joe is your pro a vivo ??

and regardless of what your opinion is or what you think you have modded your pro into which unless its a vivo its impossible to mod it into a PE since the pipelines are lasercut.

i mean why are you here spouting off, this thread is 100% 6800 based. you card is not a 6800. and it was said earlier somewhere in here the only people bitching about HDR are those who dont have a 6800 and you are making that point a 100% truth.
your just another ati lover coming in trying to crash a 6800 party.

not knocking the xt pe (which like i said unless yours is a vivo then your dreaming, its not a softmoded xt pe its impossible) cuz my buddy has a true xt pe thats been modded by viperjohn. and its a godly card. un freakin believable.

but again i just need to look at you and ask,, why are you wearing one of those tuxedo t-shirts to a discussion thats obviously a black tie affair.

joecuddles said:
wank wank wank

I'm sorry, but you are being an ass. You participate in a thread meant to allow people using hardware X to enjoy the benefits of feature Y, and you say "feature Y is stupid." Fine, you think something you have no experience with is stupid. We heard you, you're not helping anyone tweak anything, you're not contributing useful information about the benefits, drawbacks, differences between modes, or anything else. You are being a curmudgeony waste of space. Why do you waste everyone's time with your posts.

TranCendenZ adds bulk to the thread by dignifying you with a response. I know I do the same, and I apologize to anyone wasting their time. But, honestly, go whine about newfangled technodealies somewhere else. I suggest a retirement community, they will be far more sympathetic.

v_lestat said:
but again i just need to look at you and ask,, why are you wearing one of those tuxedo t-shirts to a discussion thats obviously a black tie affair.

did i just say that ? hahah i did,, thats my new phrase of the day!!!

etruscan said:
I'm sorry, but you are being an ass. You participate in a thread meant to allow people using hardware X to enjoy the benefits of feature Y, and you say "feature Y is stupid." Fine, you think something you have no experience with is stupid. We heard you, you're not helping anyone tweak anything, you're not contributing useful information about the benefits, drawbacks, differences between modes, or anything else. You are being a curmudgeony waste of space. Why do you waste everyone's time with your posts.

TranCendenZ adds bulk to the thread by dignifying you with a response. I know I do the same, and I apologize to anyone wasting their time. But, honestly, go whine about newfangled technodealies somewhere else. I suggest a retirement community, they will be far more sympathetic.

QFT.

ATI users seem to have the biggest issue with HDR which is funny because they have to be talking out of their asses, considering their cards don't support it. I myself have used HDR, it's amazing, but at its current stage it's asking for too much. I'm sticking with AA/AF + 1 rez up for now. So even though I don't use HDR I don't go around knocking it and calling it a stupid feature every other post. Maybe because I've seen what it can offer with my own eyes, and maybe because I don't suffer from HDR Envy. At least I've got the option of using it.

The loudest people are the least worth hearing.

tranCendenZ said:
i mean, its mostly preference
you can have 30fps with HDR or 60fps without HDR - in the case of FarCry i'll take the eye candy.

You got that right! Eye candy includes antialising, can't do both....I prefer the AA in Far Cry, HDR lighting or not I can't stand the jggies. It just irks me. That's MY preference...

I had a 6800GT, while a fine card, my own needs were not met 100% by it, thus, I got an ATI card. No fan-boi-ism or anything.

:D

TheRapture said:
You got that right! Eye candy includes antialising, can't do both....I prefer the AA in Far Cry, HDR lighting or not I can't stand the jggies. It just irks me. That's MY preference...

:D

Not to knock you or anything since I share your opinion but you do know what you and every other ati user here sounds like right? It's like you're bitching about Lord of the Rings because your Tolkien-hating friend told you it sucks even though you've never read the books yourself. You're entitled to your opinion of course, but the rest of us are equally entitled to discarding it since it isn't coming from an informed source. In all reality this post is more aimed at Joe then yourself so don't take it personally, you just happened to post at a most opportune time.

heh, I saw that AFTER I already posted. No insults taken, I was never knocking HDR, remember, I HAD a 6800GT.

FWIW, I have seen HDR in action in Far Cry in person, I just don't care for it enough to accept the considerable loss in FPS. I prefer the AA actually. I WISH I could have BOTH...but I can't...

Please, don't lump me as a fan-boi, I am far from that, and don't include me in joes (or whatever the name) category.

EDIT: I do have a VIVO that I softmodded to XT-PE. I bought it specifically for that purpose, it it was not a clean 16 piper, I would have flashed it back, sold it, and tried again. :p

I haven't knocked HDR at all, I don't know what you're all talking about. I knocked it's performance as a beta feature, not the feature itself, just it's performance. Try to seperate it, I think it's justified. Like I said if it makes you all feel better I can go play on a 6800U and come back saying the same things I have been. Looks great, runs like shit.

joecuddles said:
I only read the first 2 sentences of this post, because I can generally assume what the rest contains and I'm not really interested anymore. I'm not bitter about HDR, you obviously haven't read a single post I've made based on the subject. I think it's great as far as visuals go, but as far as actual performance goes, I see it as totally worthless right now. That's my opinion, try to live with it. I know it's hard, and I know it just kills your green heart, but try to accept the fact that dipping to 20 FPS in 1024 with no AA isn't something that sounds remotely appealing to me.

It's a new tech, I've said that. It'll improve, no doubt. With 1 (old) game using OpenEXR and 1 upcoming game using it after over 5 months on the shelves, we'll have maybe a total of two games using it by the end of the year? Until performance improves, I'm not interested. Did you want me to go buy a 6800U so I can say the exact same thing I'm saying now? Do I have to go to a LAN center and play it for 20 minutes to shut you up and somehow validate my opinion in your eyes?

Off the highhorse please, thanks.

You know I've read your posts and I've pretty much understood it's opinion (one that I share) People want to say your down playing openexr but you've been pretty much saying "Next generation"

It's been shown the game takes a SIGNIFICANT HIT whenever it is turned on. I don't know why that's so hard to understand. And it's a BLOWN OUT BETA feature of farcry. It isn't supported

Wow the nvidia users sure are getting defensive! :D Listen, nobody is knocking OpenEXR itself, just the fact that it runs like ass on a 6800. Its a PR feature for this gen. of cards and thats it. The xbit numbers just back up our assertions as fact. Sorry if that gets your panties in a wad but hey sometimes reality is cold and bitter. Not to mention that you guys can't even agree on a driver set to use to show 6800 performance. One day its, "66.81 rules look at CS:S 6800 is so fast in D3D now" and then its "oh 66.81 sux it has bugs, stick with certified 61.71 drivers". You know Joe was right on the mark when he suggested nVidia come up with an insta-driver swapping program so you guys can get optimal speeds across all these leaked drivers. ;)

tranCendenZ said:
In a way I understand, it must be disappointing to buy a $500+ card and not be able to use one of the coolest pieces of eye candy to come around the block in a long time.

and in the same vein, it must be disappointing to buy a $400 card that has a new feature, but not be able to run at a smooth framerate with it enabled.

personally, as an ATI card owner, and i think i speak for others here, im not disappointed that my card doesn't support openexr HDR, im disappointed because NO card can run with openexr and maintain a good framerate yet, or else id order it and have it overnighted to me in a heartbeat.

doh-nut said:
and in the same vein, it must be disappointing to buy a $400 card that has a new feature, but not be able to run at a smooth framerate with it enabled.

personally, as an ATI card owner, and i think i speak for others here, im not disappointed that my card doesn't support openexr HDR, im disappointed because NO card can run with openexr and maintain a good framerate yet, or else id order it and have it overnighted to me in a heartbeat.

Bam. Show me a 6800U running OpenEXR at 1600 with some AA and I'll go grab one. 1024, no AA, barely pulling 30FPS? I'll look into the NV50 / R520 instead.

batty said:
ATI users seem to have the biggest issue with HDR which is funny because they have to be talking out of their asses, considering their cards don't support it.
Sorry but this is just BS (wind blowing device)boy retoric.I own a 6800 and tried HDR.While very cool, FarCry's impementation is not yet ready for prime time.HL2 and a 9800 can put out some impresive results.Check out the HL2 HDR bink before judging ATI's HDR performance. http://www.gamershell.com/download_3360.shtml
It looks as good to me as FarCry and will work with AA to boot.I wonder if Crytec's decision to use an HDR solution incompatible with ATI hardware had more to do with Nvidia's fat paycheck than what would be the best for the consumer.

If you notice the screen shots of people trying to put HDR in a good light, there is no action. Just still images, and just getting 30-40 FPS. When there is action, it drops to low teens, which is not what they want you to see.

Conman said:
Sorry but this is just BS (wind blowing device)boy retoric.I own a 6800 and tried HDR.While very cool, FarCry's impementation is not yet ready for prime time.HL2 and a 9800 can put out some impresive results.Check out the HL2 HDR bink before judging ATI's HDR performance. http://www.gamershell.com/download_3360.shtml
It looks as good to me as FarCry and will work with AA to boot.I wonder if Crytec's decision to use an HDR solution incompatible with ATI hardware had more to do with Nvidia's fat paycheck than what would be the best for the consumer.

Maybe you should save your comments until AFTER HL2 comes out. And from the videos I've seen [that includes the monstrous 20 minute long 700mb trailers] HL2s HDR isn't comparable to Far Cry's. But I'll wait the 2 weeks to find out first hand.

The video I linked has nothing to do with the 20 minute gameplay demo.It's a 114 MB high quality bink that just shows off HDR lighting.Light streaming through holes in a roof.Sunlight reflecting off roof tiles, metal siding and the hard shell of a crab-like alien.

Conman said:
The video I linked has nothing to do with the 20 minute gameplay demo.It's a 114 MB high quality bink that just shows off HDR lighting.Light streaming through holes in a roof.Sunlight reflecting off roof tiles, metal siding and the hard shell of a crab-like alien.

Which was part of the gameplay demoS. Note the plural there. There's 2 seperate 20 minute vids out there, one's under 700 megs and the others over. Probabley the only thing that gave justification to that IGN Insider account I bought while I was shitfaced drunk.

For those who care I am quite happly playing the game with hdr. Frame rates are below what hardop would recomend but I don't notice (average 30's-40's but down in the 20's for worst cases e.g. on deck of carrier). Not quite sure how xbit's frame rates are so low. I have also adjusted the hdr settings so it's no longer oversaturated and overbright, and looks about right in my eyes.
I run a 3.2c, 1024mb mem, 6800gt at ultra clocks, 1280*1024, 66.81, performance or high performance nvidia settings with aa disabled and af application controlled.
Farcry settings are all very high, improved rendering, 8af. My farcry command line additions are:
"r_hdrrendering 4" "r_HDRBrightThreshold 5.0" "r_HDRLevel 0.5" "e_vegetation_sprites_distance_ratio 100.000000"

Oh by the way MFZ. I don't see one person really getting defensive. I noticed both Nvidia people and ATi people as you call them, trying to figure out why the numbers have a discrepancy with what the people actually using it. Hell dude, I'll be first the say I don't have that sort of frame rate on anything with HDR enabled; again, whether it be drivers, hardware (doubt it..but..whatever), software, whatever... It doesn't match up. Not to mention while Brent's screenshots might be a peak point, most of his screenshots do put a respectable load on the graphics card (As well with most other screens posted here), enough to dip the frames somewhat -- yet his results where different then XBits. The discrepency is what is being investigated by the people here.

The video I linked has nothing to do with the 20 minute gameplay demo.It's a 114 MB high quality bink that just shows off HDR lighting.

Can anyone confirm if HDR is in HL2, or that it has pulled off? I hear different stories; some say it's in, some say it will come in a later patch, and some say it never comes.

People that are hating on HDR performance probably havent actually used it. I run 1024X768 on my 6800NU, Xp 3200+ and I get 30-50 fps most of the time.

The lighting really is amazing though, just a few years ago these kind of graphics would be unthinkable.

Apple740 said:
Can anyone confirm if HDR is in HL2, or that it has pulled off? I hear different stories; some say it's in, some say it will come in a later patch, and some say it never comes.

it's in HL2...but it's a different form of HDR...to me it looked more like coronas from the unreal engine than the HDR in FarCry, the openexr stuff looks much better IMO...the bloom effects in HL2 look pretty sweet though...

tranCendenZ said:
Who said HL2 is using OpenEXR HDR at any point?

Anyway, here is the difference between the pseudo-HDR HL2 will use out of the box (which pales in comparison to openexr from the screens/movies i've seen) and OpenEXR HDR:
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1026807364&postcount=62

"Pales" is a big word imho, but yes, HL2's HDR is less "Hollywood fancy" looking. But hey, we can use FSAA. :D

hl2.20.jpg

hl2.21.jpg

hl2.14.jpg

Vriess said:
People that are hating on HDR performance probably havent actually used it. I run 1024X768 on my 6800NU, Xp 3200+ and I get 30-50 fps most of the time.

The lighting really is amazing though, just a few years ago these kind of graphics would be unthinkable.

I can't play with HDR above 1024x768 the lag is too much. And that's with a 6800 Ultra @ 450/1275...

Indoors is fine even in 1280x1024 but once you get outdoors it sucks.

I can't stand it when the mouse is unreponsive...

The effect is really nice though I wish I could play in 1280x1024. I think HDR looks nicer in 1280x1024 than 1600x1200 2xAA/4xAF.

One more reason to get SLI :cool:

Back