FarCry 1.3 OpenEXR HDR Screenshots... Post 'em here!

All I can say is that the future looks bright. I still remember the past when we switched from 16bit colors to 32 bit in games, from jaggies to high AA, from pixeled walls to 16AF. And now the HDR, it looks like it is the next big thing in my opinion...

Do yourself a favor and try HDR with the "cold" rendering path.FarCry's color is hyper real to begin with, add in HDR and its a little too much.Using the cold rendering and HDR looks amazingly realistic.

What is the "cold" render path and how do you enable it?

BTW this effect is beautiful. Running 430/1150 on 6800GT with Winchester A64 at 10x240 means virtually no lag.

Kanati

It's a dropdown box in the main options.Graphics need to be set to very high to use it.

Default: duh
Improved: more vibrant color
Cartoon: think of the game XIII / cartoon outlines
Paradise: Color amp set to 11

Looks awesome, those videos sure do show off how much better it is in motion. If only I had the cash for a new card!

Chrismas is comin round soon, looks like its time to start nagging for that 6800GT ive been needing :p

tranCendenZ said:
Nope. If you are using 66.81 drivers switch to an earlier driverset they have a stuttering problem with 1.3. I know 61.77 works fine for a fact, could also try 65.73 or the new 70 series.

Dang i am using 66.81's , they have performed the best for me until now

Bobsaysthis said:
Looks awesome, those videos sure do show off how much better it is in motion. If only I had the cash for a new card!

You know you can often get quite a bit of cash by selling your car's floormats on eBay ;)

What driver set do you guys recommend for the HDR. I am using 61.82 now and have major studdering in Far Cry.

Do you use driver cleaner just like on ATI for driver upgrades?

i love HDR, but i the commands to adjust the brightness of it wont work, i tried using them in the shortcut and in game and it didnt work, the HDR is a tad bright

but it isnt bad when i use the cold render method, its VERY realistic also

R1ckCa1n said:
What driver set do you guys recommend for the HDR. I am using 61.82 now and have major studdering in Far Cry.

Do you use driver cleaner just like on ATI for driver upgrades?

61.77 works for sure. you can try 65.73 and see how that goes.

retardedchicken said:
i love HDR, but i the commands to adjust the brightness of it wont work, i tried using them in the shortcut and in game and it didnt work, the HDR is a tad bright

but it isnt bad when i use the cold render method, its VERY realistic also

post some screens of cold. apparently with the hdr variables, they can only make it brighter not less bright.

Just checked it myself, "Cold" mode with OpenEXR gives it a Ghost-Reconish color scheme, of course with the coolness of HDR.

Worth checking out (from main menu, Options/Video Options, Rendering Mode: Cold)

my experience-
love the effect, hate the slowdown. however, a simple adjustment, lowering gamma, raising contrast, lowering brightness (significantly, like by 1/4) got me back to a less jarring brightness/color saturation, and yet really added to the dark area to light area effect, imho. i'd advise anyone troubled by all the saturation to give this a spin. i'm sticking with the HDR for a while, but it's pushing the envelope at 1280x960. AND i have the gunfire stutter with my 66.81's which is a drag given how smooth they've been (Doom3). bummer.

Wriggo said:
my experience-
love the effect, hate the slowdown. however, a simple adjustment, lowering gamma, raising contrast, lowering brightness (significantly, like by 1/4) got me back to a less jarring brightness/color saturation, and yet really added to the dark area to light area effect, imho. i'd advise anyone troubled by all the saturation to give this a spin. i'm sticking with the HDR for a while, but it's pushing the envelope at 1280x960. AND i have the gunfire stutter with my 66.81's which is a drag given how smooth they've been (Doom3). bummer.

Yes I am not giving up my 66.81's I have play ed Far Cry several times so no biggy. I dropped down to 1280 x 1024 and the studder on weapons discharge is intermitant now.

ok here goes, the shots werent at the same exact time but during the same scene

NOTE: these shots are not using the same build, rendering method, resolution, aa/af, and the first one may be on a 9600xt instead(cant remember) so dont flame for a related reason

before HDR
FarCry0011.jpg

after HDR
FarCry0057.jpg

and now are just some random HDR shots(with cold render method)
FarCry0049.jpg

this one is using improved rendering method.
FarCry0056.jpg

FarCry0054.jpg

FarCry0052.jpg

so this effect is only for nvidia at the moment? will it be implemented into ati? i currently have a 9800 pro 256 but am purchasing a new card this weekend and im curious as to why it isn't available for ati, i am a big ati guy but this effect would possibly sway me to the dark side for this round of cards, but i still want a x800xt oc'd to pe, but a 6800 ultra would be ok if this effect isn't available for a long time on ati

will042082 said:
so this effect is only for nvidia at the moment? will it be implemented into ati? i currently have a 9800 pro 256 but am purchasing a new card this weekend and im curious as to why it isn't available for ati, i am a big ati guy but this effect would possibly sway me to the dark side for this round of cards, but i still want a x800xt oc'd to pe, but a 6800 ultra would be ok if this effect isn't available for a long time on ati

The effect will never be available on the x800 line. The R520 in first half of 05 will have SM3.0 support.

will042082 said:

yes, only for the GeForce 6 series at the moment

don't know if future ATI products will adopt support for the OpenEXR format or not

joecuddles said:
The effect will never be available on the x800 line. The R520 in first half of 05 will have SM3.0 support.

this method of HDR is not a Shader Model 3.0 thing

Ah yes, I posted that as I was reading another thread explaining the differences. It's a nice effect, just not worth the performance hit right now, at least to me. Once it matures, it should be nice to see in games, but as of now it's pointless.

Brent_Justice said:
wow those shots just look increadible IMO

thank you!

sorry to ask for the n-th time, but will halflife2 incorporate HDR? since the game isnt as bright and tropical as far cry i think that HDR would really shine (no pun intended) in it

oh also, the build for far cry is now 1337!

retardedchicken said:
thank you!

sorry to ask for the n-th time, but will halflife2 incorporate HDR? since the game isnt as bright and tropical as far cry i think that HDR would really shine (no pun intended) in it

I don't think at launch HL2 is using anything like HDR. If they do later on it'll probably be another path that is available on both cards.

retardedchicken said:
thank you!

in some of those HL2 videos they released there were some demonstrations of HDR being done, but I don't think it was the OpenEXR format, I think it was doing it through Pixel Shaders but I'm not sure so don't quote me on anything

i do not know if and what type of HDR HL2 will ship with

Brent_Justice said:
obviously this isn't the same type of HDR as FarCry is using
Yeah, the FarCry HDR is more Hollywood-looking and the Source Engine HDR is more realistic-looking. ;)

coz said:
I've seen some HL2 screenshots with HDR. Also, there's HDR in CS: Source. Scroll down to the bottom of this page to see........

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/counter_strike_source/page2.asp

The HL2/CS "HDR" if you even want to call it that looks utterly simplistic compared to the OpenEXR HDR in FarCry. Not even close. Can't wait to see more OpenEXR games, I think Painkiller: Battle Out of Hell might be using it, too.

If you want less saturation in FarCry's HDR and want it to look more toned down, simply enable the "Cold" rendering mode as someone pointed out earlier.

Yeah CS:S doesn't use "HDR" per se, it's really just a light bloom effect. I'm just sitting and waiting until this technology gets out of beta. I mean really, I don't know many people who will go from 1600 with 2xAA to 1024 or 1280 just to see a visual effect such as HDR / OpenEXR, I certainly wouldn't. Once this kind of effect (be it OpenEXR or another type) is usable with AA and doesn't drop FPS by 70%, then it'll be great, can't wait for that :)

coz said:
Yeah, the FarCry HDR is more Hollywood-looking and the Source Engine HDR is more realistic-looking. ;)

ya know, we've got to get over this kind of thinking

whether its more realistic or not is not the point.

It's all about how the developer wants you to view the game and how they want to portray it.

Games are like art pieces, the content developers and artists are putting something out the way they want it.

Hey tranCendenZ,

Is Farcry HDR at 1280 x 1024 with your hardware totally playable?

Mr Mean said:
Hey tranCendenZ,

Is Farcry HDR at 1280 x 1024 with your hardware totally playable?

If you use the new 70 series drivers, its playable most of the time... Might have to drop down to \r_hdrrendering 2 now and then depending on the stage. If you can't stand any framerate drops at all and you have a setup similar to mine, 1024x768 is probably a safer bet. If you have a A64 + 6800U or GT@U, then 1280x1024 would be fine..

Brent_Justice said:
ya know, we've got to get over this kind of thinking
Hey, I've got nothing against the HDR in FC. The movies and sceenshots look awesome, folks say it looks even better when you're playing the game too. I'm just saying that it looks a *little* overdone to me, just as the lighting in some Hollywood films is overdone. The HDR in CS: Souce is more subtle and realistic IMO.

joecuddles said:
I mean really, I don't know many people who will go from 1600 with 2xAA to 1024 or 1280 just to see a visual effect such as HDR / OpenEXR, I certainly wouldn't. Once this kind of effect (be it OpenEXR or another type) is usable with AA and doesn't drop FPS by 70%, then it'll be great, can't wait for that :)

Those of us that first played Far Cry with an older card for one. I have a 5900 so do not have the option of running high res with AA . . . Hell I can not do AA at all with my little ol 2.3 P4 and vid card . . . so after I upgrade come tax return season I will be quite happy with HDR and no AA.

Back