FarCry 1.3 OpenEXR HDR Screenshots... Post 'em here!

Hey guys, been messin around a lot with the HDR

use r_hdrrendering 2

its a tad less intense than 7, but very close, and it has much higher performance than 7

that one seems to be the best IMO

joecuddles said:
While it does look nice, and I'm sure it looks great in motion, being bumped down to 1024 with no AA is not something to consider. I've been playing CS:S in 2048 with 2xAA / 16xAF, D3 in 1600 along with Far Cry, Painkiller, etc, and am looking forward to HL2 at 1600 and such. What I'm trying to say is, you're asking me to go from those resolutions with AA down to 1024 without? No effect could be pretty enough, in my opinion.

Maybe with the R520 (or NV50, whoever wins ;) ) they'll be fast and powerful enough to allow for higher resolutions, but until then, no thanks. I say this from an unbiased standpoint, even if I had a 6800U (which I almost did), you wouldn't find me playing at 1024 with no AA for some pretty light effects, but that's me. Without AA, I see 1280 as a minimum, with 1600 preferred obviously. Hopefully the next gen will bring us that kind of power.

Your system would run 1280x1024 on a 6800U with OpenEXR in FarCry just fine.

As for AA, once you see OpenEXR FarCry in action you will quickly forget about it :)

Brent_Justice said:
Hey guys, been messin around a lot with the HDR

use r_hdrrendering 2

its a tad less intense than 7, but very close, but it has much higher performance than 7

that one seems to be the best IMO

Thanks Brent, will update first post.

Xxplosiv said:
its ye old tbred lol. try at res of 640x480 or somethin

I dont think its that bad...I run fine without HDR...

HDR is handled by the GPU right? not the CPU

xenogears said:
And for the people who say they are too busy fragging to notice jaggies, the same could be said for HDR.

No no no no no, the difference between what AA adds to IQ and what HDR adds is very, very big... you really have to see it to understand. But trust me, there's no way to not notice it... once it's implemented in a way that cards can handle it without the massive fps drop it'll become a staple imo.

tranCendenZ said:
yep 2 is definitely faster than 7. thanx again for heads up brent

Oh you know what it is I just realized, 2 doesn't render the rays coming off of the HDR light, the colored rays that can appear extending from the lights.

So it is a reduction in HDR image quality.

I guess you'll just have to decide which one you like best, 2 or 7

2 = no light rays

7 = light rays

Brent_Justice said:
Oh you know what it is I just realized, 2 doesn't render the rays coming off of the HDR light, the colored rays that can appear extending from the lights.

So it is a reduction in HDR image quality.

I guess you'll just have to decide which one you like best, 2 or 7

2 = no light rays

7 = light rays

Yeh, I noticed your post, I updated the first post in the thread to reflect this. Looks like use 2 if your system can't handle 7, otherwise use 7.

tranCendenZ said:
Your system would run 1280x1024 on a 6800U with OpenEXR in FarCry just fine.

As for AA, once you see OpenEXR FarCry in action you will quickly forget about it :)

As I said before, I've been playing at 1600+ resolutions with AA enabled for too long now, and I'd notice it. I agree with one of the previous posters, I'd be too busy noticing the jaggies to notice the HDR. I think it's a decent feature, I just don't think it's really prepared to be used consistently. Like I said before, hopefully the R520 / NV50 will bring us up to the 1600 + AA + HDR level, before then, it's not something I'd use myself other than for the 5 minutes of 'oo'ing.

I honestly don't see why people are even so excited about it, considering everyone has beaten Far Cry, and from what I've heard, the online is craptacular. It'd be a lot more exciting on a higher calibre game, don't see the point in it in Far Cry this late after it's released.

Nice looking screens, would love to see it in motion. I'm gonna have to take a trip to a buddy's house who I sold my 6800 to. ;)

- D.

tranCendenZ said:
Some more from "Carrier" & "Fort"

1280x1024 0xAA/8xAF

NO HDR
fc4.jpg

SAME IMAGE W/ OPENEXR HDR
fc4hd.jpg

NO HDR
fc5.jpg

SAME IMAGE W/ OPENEXR HDR
fc5hd.jpg

damn awesome. the game just looks washed out now without HDR, which makes it look sooo much richer. was worth the wait :)

Looking at the above screens, diff between HDR/non-HDR is just a matter of adding contrast & tiny bit lesser brightness. With Photoshop, you can perfectly turn that non-HDR shots into HDR...

Wow, looks pretty fantastic. Too bad it makes the system in my sig cry at 7, 1024x768 is barely playable (ie barely over 30 fps) :(

By the way, 10 and 11 look pretty interresting.

Apple740 said:
Looking at the above screens, diff between HDR/non-HDR is just a matter of adding contrast & tiny bit lesser brightness. With Photoshop, you can perfectly turn that non-HDR shots into HDR...

Not at all, HDR makes the lighting interact with the environment in a far more dynamic way than the standard lighting - not to mention the iris effect previously mentioned. Makes the game far more realistic feeling as the lighting seems much less static.

Unfortunately I can't really capture that in a screenshot, but with the "wow" effect of these screenshots hopefully ppl will go check it out on a 6800 in person :)

Just curious tranCendenZ, but how's that application for the nVidia PR department going? ;) :p

holy shit. those screen shots totally settle the ati vs. nvidia debate for my new gaming system.

Here is a video of no hdr versus OpenEXR on the Nvidia 6800 series in action. The video is a 1024x768 3mbps WMV so the color range is nowhere near as good as ingame, but it will give you an idea of what to expect in motion, when you use it as a reference along with the below screenshot. The video first shows no hdr for a few seconds, then openexr hdr for a few seconds:
http://www.reflectonreality.com/images/nv40/fchdr/fchdr.wmv

and a reference screenshot to go with the video:
http://www.reflectonreality.com/images/nv40/fchdr/fc1hd.jpg

joecuddles said:
Just curious tranCendenZ, but how's that application for the nVidia PR department going? ;) :p

We get it. You don't much care for OpenEXR, neither do I actually, not worth the performence hit and loss of AA.

You know though, considering you haven't actually experienced it, why the hell are you so vehemently opposing it? 6800 Envy?

Hey now, I made two constructive posts on my opinion before making a slightly off topic post, complete with winks and :p's, so :p

all I know is watching that video..well as soon as the HDR came up I honestly went "holy shit" that is with out a doubt fuckin awsome !
to me its a IQ++ deal :)

I just loaded a bunch of saved games and enabled hdr, these pictures do it no justice at all!!

I honestly didnt check under 1280x1024 HDR 8xaf because it didnt seem like there was a loss at all, but at 1600x1200 HDR 8xaf I could tell it was dipping low while I was zoomed in and firing. I'm done for the night though, but i'll run some tests tomorrow, hopefully someone else will do it before me :p

1600x1200 no aa/8x af very high all around http://home.comcast.net/~omarhakimi/FarCry0026.jpg so yeah, it dipped pretty low, never below 25 though

Xxplosiv said:
the thing is, when you look at objects emitting light, it auto exposes kinda like your eyes do when you look at something dark or bright. as in, if your looking into a dark jungle, then suddenly look up at the sun, alot of the sky will be very very bright for a few seconds, then slowly it adjusts till you can see the sun, but the dark jungle gets even darker, where you start to have trouble seeing in it. that effect alone is what i like about it

quoted because ppl are still saying its just a contrast/brightness thing

Xxplosiv said:
quoted because ppl are still saying its just a contrast/brightness thing

Here is a video demonstrating your quote, coming out of the carrier!
(note the chopiness in the vid is a result of the vidcap software railing my hd, its smooth when I play without the vidcap)

http://www.reflectonreality.com/images/nv40/fchdr/fchdr2.wmv

Pay special attention to the lighting effects when coming out of the darker carrier into the bright sunlight.

The outside shots look a lot better than the indoor shots, as far as the lighting is concerned, to me. A lot of the indoor shots look too fake, and to "over the top" bright and glowing. Not all of them do, some look really good. 7,12&13 are the ones that stand out to me that look bad. Just too bright, too much glare, and too fake looking. 12 is so bright you cant even seen the bars over the light anymore.

The above is my opinion so dont anyone get their panties in a wad over it. Overall it looks really good, better outside than inside. Just in some cases is look aweful to me.

edit, after looking at more pics. Pic5 of the beach looks better, without HDR to me. As far as the beach itself is concerned. The sand is "glowing" and looks fake. The jaggies are like nails on a chalkboard to me too. :( What level was that in? One of the more glowy levels, or the lower ones? Post pics with different levels so we can see?

joecuddles said:
I'd be too busy noticing the jaggies to notice the HDR. I think it's a decent feature, I just don't think it's really prepared to be used consistently. Like I said before, hopefully the R520 / NV50 will bring us up to the 1600 + AA + HDR level, before then, it's not something I'd use myself other than for the 5 minutes of 'oo'ing.
Yeah, AA is like 3D heroin - you're fine until you start using it, then take it away and arrrgghhh!! I don't like the idea of dropping resolution *and* turning AA off, even though HDR does look cool. I'll still check out the HDR with FC1.3 because you've got to see it in action to appreciate it properly. HDR seems to give the game a cinematic lighting quality to it and I think it looks pretty good.

Outside looks great, not to many nuked out areas cept what I've seen of the moon shots at night. Inside looks to bright in some places. I don't like that at all.

Overall I think it's a nice effect but I wouldn't give up AA for it no way.

Back