FarCry 1.3 OpenEXR HDR Screenshots... Post 'em here!

On my system below I have High Quality in Control Panel and absolutely all settings maxed in game with 4XAF enabled.

1280*1024 4xaa -> 50-60 fps average

1280*1024 No AA HDR -> ~27 fps.

Its pretty big yeah.

Overall the light bloom needs to be toned down a bit but it is a really nice addition to the lighting scheme, would love to see how that worked in like the Doom 3 or HL2 engine.

Cali3350 said:
On my system below I have High Quality in Control Panel and absolutely all settings maxed in game with 4XAF enabled.

Its pretty big yeah.

Here's my take on this...openEXR HDR is pretty niffty :)

But it's still in "birth"
Nice lighting, but I notice the jaggies (even in videos). I'd like to see when both are hopefully compatible. And SO FAR..seems to give a BIG hit in performance. This is definately a cool "things to come" though. Just guessing but I don't think until say 2 new generations of cards come out will it be able to burn through graphics at high res with everything turned on

people saying that the HDR is too bright, you are right, it is

but this is also a beta implementation in the game

obviously it can be toned down, maybe in a future patch

if it were not as intense it would be perfect, IMO this effect really is pretty awesome, if done properly (and performed faster) it can really enhance the gameplay experience

Good points Brent. Makes me wonder if taking a 50-75% performance hit with lower resolution and no AA is worth it.

I have found "4" works well, and "2" performs better. I will have to give this some more tinkering to see how it pans out. This is defenatly a good thing once it is tweaked and optomized.

R1ckCa1n said:
Good points Brent. Makes me wonder if taking a 50-75% performance hit with lower resolution and no AA is worth it.

I have found "4" works well, and "2" performs better. I will have to give this some more tinkering to see how it pans out. This is defenatly a good thing once it is tweaked and optomized.

2 doesn't render the light rays

all the numbers do is determine how the light rays are rendered

try 10 and 11 ;)

Thanks for the screens, I forgot how nice farcry could be. The HDR is very nice. I might have to load it up and play again.

r_HDRBrightOffset = "6.000000" (lower value = brighter HDR lighting)
r_HDRBrightThreshold = "3.000000" (lower value = brighter HDR “eye blinding” effect)
r_HDRLevel = "0.600000" (higher value = more light blooming)

here are some setttings we might be able to mess around with to get it more like we want... (default values shown)

there are some boards it will probably just have to be tweaked more for optimal effect in the next patch, like archive for instnace. remember its a beta implementation, but damn it still looks amazing. I'm definitely playing with it on, maybe ill bind a key to enable/disable it or something if it gets too intense on a particular level.

Watch out with those movies. I went to one of the sites got spammed with popups and then it infected my machine. Some horoscope thing that appears to be be new, because it didnt find it unitll I updated adaware, and a bunch of other crap. Mcafee even found a EXE..

moetop said:
Watch out with those movies. I went to one of the sites got spammed with popups and then it infected my machine. Some horoscope thing that appears to be be new, because it didnt find it unitll I updated adaware, and a bunch of other crap. Mcafee even found a EXE..

ROFL....

Its pretty big yeah.

So this means it's dipping into the 10's then now and then? :( (I've seen 6800Nu's doing 5/6 fps average at 1024.)

Farcry/Nv provide a nice demo to see what future can bring, but it looks like we need Nv50/R520 for this to make it real playable (and including AA too).

fallguy said:
When taking screenshots, include a FPS counter please.

and to remind folks you can use FRAPS

or just bring down the console in farcry and type \r_displayinfo 1

moetop said:

? I linked directly to a .WMV file I hosted, no website or html. what link are you talking about exactly? The FileFront FarCry 1.3 link has a popup but I doubt its malicious and SP2 blocked it. I think you had some other problem prior to clicking on the links :)

Apple740 said:
So this means it's dipping into the 10's then now and then? :( (I've seen 6800Nu's doing 5/6 fps average at 1024.)

Farcry/Nv provide a nice demo to see what future can bring, but it looks like we need Nv50/R520 for this to make it real playable (and including AA too).

It's definitely playable right now, a high end athlon64 w/ 6800U or gt@U would be able to play smooth at 1280x1024 while a mid-high P4 w/ 6800GT @ stock is better at 1024x768.

I tried with limited success @ 1600x1200.I got some staggering but it was very cool

tranCendenZ said:
Here is a video of no hdr versus OpenEXR on the Nvidia 6800 series in action. The video is a 1024x768 3mbps WMV so the color range is nowhere near as good as ingame, but it will give you an idea of what to expect in motion, when you use it as a reference along with the below screenshot. The video first shows no hdr for a few seconds, then openexr hdr for a few seconds:
http://www.reflectonreality.com/images/nv40/fchdr/fchdr.wmv

and a reference screenshot to go with the video:
http://www.reflectonreality.com/images/nv40/fchdr/fc1hd.jpg
Looks like I am going Nvidia this round. Thanks tranCendenZ for making me see how HDR is in motion. I didn't see a huge impact when you enabled it. It did dramatically enhance the game and I am going to play it again when I do get my new Nvidia card.

Can it be possible to show the video of you getting out of the tunnel (in training) when you're first exposed to the beach. I want to see the transition from dark environment to light isn't blinding like some people make it out to be.

Mr Mean said:
Looks like I am going Nvidia this round. Thanks tranCendenZ for making me see how HDR is in motion. I didn't see a huge impact when you enabled it. It did dramatically enhance the game and I am going to play it again when I do get my new Nvidia card.

Can it be possible to show the video of you getting out of the tunnel (in training) when you're first exposed to the beach. I want to see the transition from dark environment to light isn't blinding like some people make it out to be.

I made a similar video of coming out of the carrier into the bright daylight:
http://www.reflectonreality.com/images/nv40/fchdr/fchdr2.wmv

When you come out of the dark into the bright light, it does have a quick "refocusing" lighting effect which is done purposefully to simulate your eyes adjusting from dark to light as happens in real life.

(slight chopiness in video is a result of vidcapture eating hard drive, it runs smooth during gameplay)

Have any of you used the new 70.xx drivers? The guys over at NVnews claim a pretty substantial improvement in frame rate when using HDR on the 6800 series without any noticeable loss in IQ.

-Nathan

Apple740 said:

No, it was very very stable there. It just...stayed there. Always :p

it is smmoth durring gameplay, but not fast durring gameplay. Deff not something thats viable this gen in this implementation.

Cali3350 said:
it is smmoth durring gameplay, but not fast durring gameplay. Deff not something thats viable this gen in this implementation.

Works fine here. As long as you don't need 60-100fps all the time it is just dandy this generation. Most here seem to go by hardocp's 30fps standard, and that is easily attainable at 1024x768 or 1280x1024 depending on your CPU/vidcard. In this case I'd rather have the excellent eye candy over the fps. Try using the new 70 series drivers or "r_hdrrendering 2" if you hare having performance problems.

i mean, its mostly preference
you can have 30fps with HDR or 60fps without HDR - in the case of FarCry i'll take the eye candy.

tranCendenZ said:
Works fine here. As long as you don't need 60-100fps all the time it is just dandy this generation. Most here seem to go by hardocp's 30fps standard, and that is easily attainable at 1024x768 or 1280x1024 depending on your CPU/vidcard. In this case I'd rather have the excellent eye candy over the fps. Try using the new 70 series drivers or "r_hdrrendering 2" if you hare having performance problems.

Well for me with HQ in NVidia control panel with absolutely everything maxxed in game and 4xaf enabled i get ~27 fps. ALWAYS. Im one of those that feels the diff between 30 and 60, so it feels slow, but its very very playable. I just have to get used to it.

Edit: Im also using HERRendering 7, which is a big performance hit.

Cali3350 said:
Well for me with HQ in NVidia control panel with absolutely everything maxxed in game and 4xaf enabled i get ~27 fps. ALWAYS. Im one of those that feels the diff between 30 and 60, so it feels slow, but its very very playable. I just have to get used to it.

Edit: Im also using HERRendering 7, which is a big performance hit.

Well, personally I'd guess you'd have better IQ experience using "r_hdrrendering 2" and "quality w/ optimizations" over no hdr and "high quality w/o optimizations" Also make sure vsync is off and you are using application controlled AF. Using the normal map compression also improves performance for some people (line is on first page). I know you are sensitive to triopts, but I think the HDR is such a cool effect it would offset any filtering quirks that you'd notice - and changing the hdr level to 2 plus using filtering opts would likely boost your performance to a level you are more comfortable with. Remember, you can make a custom profile in the NV drivers to enable filtering opts for farcry only.

Just got done installing the patch and taking the HDR for a stroll. I must say, looks amazing. I've seen similar effects in other games, but nothing that looks so natural and complex. Cool stuff.

Are you guys getting any stuttering with HDR on when firing for the first time or when entering a new level? Are the other changes made when launching the game causing this stuttering? Used to happen when I only had 512MBs of memory, now is happening with a gig.

looks pretty cool, but man, my FPS went from 130 to like 45 (1024x768)...

thats nuts :)

Bumrush said:
Are you guys getting any stuttering with HDR on when firing for the first time or when entering a new level? Are the other changes made when launching the game causing this stuttering? Used to happen when I only had 512MBs of memory, now is happening with a gig.

it happend to me the very first time i ran the game with 1.3, but havent noticed it since

Bumrush said:

I'm getting it with or without HDR

Sure this new lightbloom effect is cool looking .... but really /r_hdrrendering command ruins my 6800 GT .... Ill take full AA over a pretty little effect which is overdone in some places. Like papers are suddenly lightsources it seems ...

did anyone play the carrier level .. when you drive up to the carrier ... the islands trees and all that is reflected in the water and ripples and shimmers all pretty like. But the carrier cast no reflection what so ever ? was this carrier involved in the philadelphia experiment or something ??

Ill talk full AA and AF over lightblooms anyway

Somebody wanted to see it in the catabombs

1600x 1200 @ 14FPS lol (estimate since it sure felt that way) Card running 425/1100

FarCry0013.jpg

FarCry0012.jpg

FarCry0008.jpg

Bumrush said:

I do at 1600 x1200 but man it looks spectacular. I am going to drop down one level of resolution and play a couple of levels

Bumrush said:

Nope. If you are using 66.81 drivers switch to an earlier driverset they have a stuttering problem with 1.3. I know 61.77 works fine for a fact, could also try 65.73 or the new 70 series.

Back