Free COD MW3 Weekend on Steam

I'm all for kicking pooh on MW3, but free is free. I might try this. I tried MW2 free weekend and that was enough to see what the game is about and enough for me not to care about buying. 99.99% chance I won't buy this time around, still something to try.

Whatever , its a free weekend to try out a game. If you don't like the game then don't play it and go back to whatever else you were doing.

I don't get the need for people to come into threads like this to state they hate the game for "X" reason and then proceed to explain why we should all hate it too.
It's because little kids play these games and the populate game forums. Even teenagers act like it.

Just played it for an hour. My first impressions are:

1. It looks like crap.
2. The extremely low FOV gave me a headache.
3. Everyone yelled curse words through their microphones.
4. The maps were small and cramped.
5. I didn't like the way the guns sounded.

1. It looks like crap.

Add

"6. I could play this on my pc from 6 years ago"

and you stole my answer.

*EDIT* That was totally non constructive but how are we supposed to comment on something like "Free weekend of MW3 on Steam"? I <3 free weekends of games on Steam? (and I do but you get my point)

How much % off you guys are getting? Here in Australia its 33% and its still a joke, I never seen any Activision game on sale over 50% off.

1. It looks like crap.

This, but it also feels like you're walking around in two feet of warer the whole time. Also the whole screen is fucking blurry even with depth of field turned off.

The game seems to have dropped in graphics quality even for a COD game it looks worse than everything that has come out in the past few years. I played for a little while last night with a couple friends and had some fun.

I would probably pick this up if it were cheaper than $40 or if I had one of those coupons for Activision games

Whatever , its a free weekend to try out a game. If you don't like the game then don't play it and go back to whatever else you were doing.

I don't get the need for people to come into threads like this to state they hate the game for "X" reason and then proceed to explain why we should all hate it too.

Because COD is damaging the gaming industry with every release and people aren't in for that.

I'll give this a try.
It's too bad they dont do demos anymore 14gb for a couple days of playing seems excessive...but then again back in the 90s I think the 20mb demos might have taken me just as long to download.

Well.. this is surprising.

I actually kind of.. liked it? Based on all the shit the game gets, I had a negative opinion going into it, but coming out was actually positive. It reminded me of my old CS days where you're just going around killing people. I have only tried Team Deathmatch so far, will try the other ones tonight after work I suppose. The graphics are awful compared to BF3, but as long as the gameplay's there, I don't mind. Not sure if it's worth $40 to me yet though. Maybe I'll also give BF3 another try since MW3 is fresh in my mind and I'm in an FPS-mindset.

I will agree that 14GB for a few day "demo" is kinda stupid.

However I realize the logic they are hoping people will fall for. "oh i already downloaded it, it's just sitting on my hard drive ready to play, I kinda had fun last time, okay here is 40 dollars for the same game I've paid for 3 times already".

Being an AT&T DSL customer -- I'm capped at 150GB - i spent 10% of my allotted bandwidth on MW3 -- will see if it amuses me when I get off work today.

Even if i have a good time - it's not worth $40, I figure it will amuse me for an hour or two then I will go back tot he much sexier world of BF3.

Want to know how to get my money for the next round/generation of first person shooters? either using the Frostbite2, or a totally new engine from the ground up build the next generation of WW2 games, use real nazi's, and make the fucking thing true to life. Then and only then will I think about forking over another 50 or 60 dollars to them.

After playing this crap it makes BF3 look like a masterpiece. You know, I actually had some fun on the CODBLOPS free weekend but was still very critical of that game but this game... it has no redeeming qualities.

Sound is awful. Every gun sounds... well not like a gun. They just make clanking noises and shit like someone is banging on pots and pans.

Graphics are awful. It's got this weird blur to the whole thing, I dunno. The other thing about CoD games is that everything looks fake. I know it's a video game but everything has this matte plastic look to it and it just looks awful.

Interface is awful. Not only does it look awful. Never thought I would say this but setting up kits and stuff is actually worse than BF3. Wouldn't let me leave the game at the end of a round and I couldn't even alt+f4 or alt+tab for some reason like I can in BF3. PEBKAC maybe?

Map design is awful. CoD4 had some pretty good maps and BLOPS had one or two decent maps. The maps for this game are SMALL and that's in comparison to other CoD games. I don't know why there are still sniper rifles. I also felt like there wasn't very much vertical movement on the maps, like I was just running through tunnels on a flat plane. There is the occasional second story on a building but the view the give you is very very limited in most cases. At no point did I find a place where I was like, "OH SHIT GONNA GRAB A SNIPER RIFLE AND SIT HERE," nor would I do that anyway since the maps aren't really big enough to make sniping viable outside of running around and "quick scoping".

Guns are awful. Models are definitely not as good as BF3. No recoil on them and once again they all sound like ass. I can't really tell the difference between any of the guns because the pretty much all feel and work the same. Shotguns don't work past melee range where the knife would be better anyway since it's laser fast and kills in one hit.

Well.. this is surprising.

I actually kind of.. liked it? Based on all the shit the game gets, I had a negative opinion going into it, but coming out was actually positive. It reminded me of my old CS days where you're just going around killing people. I have only tried Team Deathmatch so far, will try the other ones tonight after work I suppose. The graphics are awful compared to BF3, but as long as the gameplay's there, I don't mind. Not sure if it's worth $40 to me yet though. Maybe I'll also give BF3 another try since MW3 is fresh in my mind and I'm in an FPS-mindset.

I just played a couple of rounds of kill confirmed and I enjoyed it. Honestly I've enjoyed all the CODs I've played, I just don't like the way they remake the game each year with very little difference and sell it at a premium as a brand new game even though it has graphics on par with a 6 year old title. Also because of the fact that I think, for the most part, COD4 was the best. Kill-confirmed in MW3 was entertaining for the few rounds I played though.

COD is and has always had a pacing that I've really enjoyed. Its about predicting where your opponents will be and and not being where your opponent expects you to be. I personally don't think its about aiming precisely nor is it about being twitchy, most the kills I get, I get them because I'm already aiming exactly where I expect the other person to appear and am often already scoped into the point where I expect them to appear, so it just comes down to shooting them when they do appear :p

People say it doesn't take skill, personally I think it does, its just much of the user base is more casual so don't have a high skill level compared to your average nerd gamer. I only played 4 rounds and aside from the first round where I joined right at the end of a losing match and died twice, I got a KDR of 1.4-1.6 in the other 3 rounds and both confirmed and denied several kills, having never played MW3 when everyone else on the server was level 35+. It just shows the skill level of the people playing it really isn't that high.

I don't see myself buying MW3, but I take COD for what it is, a fun game which is popular partly because of a herd mentality but ALSO because its FUN, however it's produced and marketed in a way that is detrimental for gaming in general and also, IMO, it gets worse with each iteration (but still good fun, hence why it keeps selling :p).

Hell, I had more fun in the 30 or so minutes I just played MW3 than I did in the first few hours of BF3.

Be sure to set the Advanced Video Image Quality to Native or all the textures will be blurry.
Also set the Texture Quality to Custom and select Extreme or they will be blurry.

Be sure to set the Advanced Video Image Quality to Native or all the textures will be blurry.
Also set the Texture Quality to Custom and select Extreme or they will be blurry.

Made sure to do both of those and turned off depth of field for good measure before writing my little review.

1. It looks like crap.

Run the textures in "Native" , otherwise they look like blurred out shit.

The FOV can be altered , do a google search. People always yell into there mics in COD games lol.

I agree about the maps and guns. But overall the saddest part was that the servers were basically empty , there was maybe 100 or less that had a decent amount of players in it.

Overall , not even close to worth $59.99 for the PC. If you must play COD , the console version is actually a better experience.

Run the textures in "Native" , otherwise they look like blurred out shit.

The FOV can be altered , do a google search. People always yell into there mics in COD games lol.

I agree about the maps and guns. But overall the saddest part was that the servers were basically empty , there was maybe 100 or less that had a decent amount of players in it.

Overall , not even close to worth $59.99 for the PC. If you must play COD , the console version is actually a better experience.

I don't think a worse control scheme is going to give the game a better experience.

Played one game only. There was a guy on the server (name was pirateninja something rather) who at the end of the game had a 83:6 statistic. I'm not accusing anyone of cheating but it was rather......obvious. Either way, i enjoyed MW2 actually (yes, it was me.) but stopped playing due to rampant cheating back then. This seems the same (including the cheaters), so i won't spend &#8364;40 on it.

Played one game only. There was a guy on the server (name was pirateninja something rather) who at the end of the game had a 83:6 statistic. I'm not accusing anyone of cheating but it was rather......obvious. Either way, i enjoyed MW2 actually (yes, it was me.) but stopped playing due to rampant cheating back then. This seems the same (including the cheaters), so i won't spend €40 on it.

I only played a few games but two of them had blatant hackers in them. One of the hacks one guy used announced in chat every time he killed someone. I guess it's to be expected on free weekend.

I played one round...

Its pathetic.

I put over 100hrs into Black Ops, and still play to this day. MW2 stole 70+ hrs of my time too... but MW3 and its total lack of innovation (arguably a step backwards) made me not want to buy it when it came out... which is a first for a COD game for me.

I did try the free weekend though (well.. one round) .. hoping I would be wrong and all the other people slating it were wrong too... but sadly they are right.

- The graphics are appalling for a PC shooter released in 2011. 2004/5 maybe. In fact I reckon Unreal 2004 had better graphics.

- The sound... OMG... the guns sound terrible. Fake and annoying.

- Your character runs like he is wading through shit. Something feels wrong with the physics.

- Map design .... there isnt any 'design' as such. Too small and confined .. and flat mostly. No vertical elements. Really poor.

Even with the discount .. £27 is way way too much for this piece of junk.
What a sad end to the MW COD series.... Activision and IW should hang their heads in shame for producing this turd.

On a brighter note.. Black Ops 2 is coming.. just maybe they wont fuck it up!

How to setup Custom Classes for Unranked Dedicated servers.
1- Launch Modern Warfare 3: Multiplayer.
2- Select PLAY in Multiplayer Menu.
3- Select PRIVATE MATCH.
4- Select CREATE CLASS.
5- Setup your classes as you wish, all guns, attachments, killstreaks, perks will be unlocked, depending on the server you join some guns, attachments, killstreaks, perks maybe locked out and unusable.

How to enable the Dedicated Server List.
1- Launch Modern Warfare 3: Multiplayer.
2- Select OPTIONS in Multiplayer Menu.
3- Select DEDICATED SERVER.
4- Set ENABLE SERVER BROWSER to ON.
5- Go back to Multiplayer Menu.
6- Select SERVERS.
7- Adjust FILTERS to filter out high ping servers or to select your favorite Gametype etc.

Original Game Modes:
Capture The Flag
Demolition
Domination
Free For All
Headquarters
Sabotage
Search and Destroy
Team Deathmatch

New Game Modes:
Kill Confirmed - Collect dog tags from killed players. Prevent the other team from collecting yours
Team Defender - Grab the flag and protect the flag carrier to increase your teams score

New Game Modes For the Dedicated servers:
Infection
* The infected kills enemies to recruit them for the infected team.
Drop Zone
* Hold the Drop Zone for Team Points and Care Packages.
Team Juggernaut
* With the support of a juggernaut, kill players on the opposing team. The first team to reach the score limit wins.
Juggernaut
* Kill the Juggernaut to become the new Juggernaut
Gun Game
* Be the first to dominate with every gun
One in the Chamber
* Gain ammo by eliminating enemies. Be the last to survive.

Last edited:
I've played a little since downloading, and it is OK. I prefer BF3, but I can get a lot more kills in CoD. Even though I still finish near the bottom I would say that it is easier than BF3. I've played FFA mostly and it's really weird because almost every time I shoot somebody, someone will kill me from the side or behind. I could do without the "perks" and that crap. Just give me a couple guns and grenades and let me go. I really don't pay too much attention to textures and stuff like that; graphics aren't top notch but I don't think that's what this game is about. I laughed when I went into some store or something that looked like it had books on a shelf and it looked so "cartoonish". It's still not worth what they want to sell it for even with the discount, but for a free weekend it's definitely worth playing.

Never played it before but decided to try it out since it's free and frankly I'm bored this weekend. Here's what it states as hours I've played. I knew I played a lot but damn!!!

My guys ranking is up to 55 when I just called it quits...lol. Fun game but not sure I'd buy it though. Hackers can easily ruin a fun time aimbotting everyone to death which they're allowed to roam free far too long (months I heard?). Other then that It's just too glitchy, laggy, and artificial (I want a FPS game like the movie "Gamer").

I want what an online game will be in 50 years using a new protocol specially designed for it. Well I can dream anyway. :(

Never played it before but decided to try it out since it's free and frankly I'm bored this weekend. Here's what it states as hours I've played. I knew I played a lot but damn!!!

wow limp gawd status in 22 days on [H] and 23 hours played of MW3 that's a long time spent on the interwebs :)

Well the free weekend just ended. My final verdict is I would not buy this game. Why you ask? Well....because of all the possible regularly used hacks, stupid things that happen that are not hacks but just as stupid (just want it more true to life so to speak), mediocre graphics even with everything set to extra high @2560x1600, but most of all this...

42 (so it claims) hours spent on this game from Thursday at 1:00pm eastern time until a couple hours ago. I'm pretty sure the only thing I have done since then is play this game.

Oh yea, ended with a ranking level of 72...lol. Got to go exercise now before I die of a blood clot problem.

Note: I don't think it keeps precise track of game time but whatever, I did spend a lot of time on it either way.

Last edited:
I don't think a worse control scheme is going to give the game a better experience.

You would actually be wrong. This game is so consolized that playing it on a controller feels more natural.

COD is console first and PC ..15th :p

Last edited:
Everyone knows the game is all about the console market and it has been for years. the last cod pc title was cod4. I refuse to buy a console tho to play call of duty.
I play MW3 every day and it is really few and far between when I run into cheaters

Everyone knows the game is all about the console market and it has been for years. the last cod pc title was cod4. I refuse to buy a console tho to play call of duty.
I play MW3 every day and it is really few and far between when I run into cheaters

And when you do, you find a new server without cheaters. Pretty simple, people are really whiny these days lol.

Its funny now the amount of players playing MW3 since the free weekend is over went from 90,000 online playing to 25,000 lol.

Its funny now the amount of players playing MW3 since the free weekend is over went from 90,000 online playing to 25,000 lol.

Really not surprising, its off peak time now, there's 27k playing it compared to 84k peak. Given there's currently 30k playing CS and CSS compared to 78k and 62k peak today, so really its nothing exceptional.

Ok. Keep an eye on the peaks this week. I play it everyday. Never seen it that high. Rarely past 30k

Well it was expected, since the free weekend is over the number dropped, significantly.

I wonder how much people bought this game when it was discounted at a measly 33%. Still not worth it, I only paid $29 and I thought it was a waste of my money and time.

A little late for the party, I played my first CoD around on Saturday. Never join the party when MW1, 2 were released. Here are my impressions:

1. I finally understand the origin of the word ''CAMPER''. lol, about half people stay in one spot , aim down the sight waiting for others to turn up. Never thought it could be so annoying.

2. why aiming down sight also magnify surrounding objects? It feels so unnatural!

3. The game runs like a shit, with medium setting, my GTX 260 only give around 40 fps. Oh man, at 1080p and medium setting, the game looks way worse than Bad Company 2 which 260 can max out.

I think I will play some more BC2

Hilarious because either you have great luck or aren't noticing it. Just the few days I played I saw many many cheaters (Automatic sniper rifles, turn around head-shots on three people, etc). They definitely need a way to ban the cheaters (if they even do, then more quickly). I'm talking every 3-6 boards on average. I even hit a bad streak on Saturday and 4 out of 5 boards entered had blatant aimbotters.

Only the dumb or the all out 4lolz cheaters with their finger on the trigger are easily noticed right away. You have some that keep a percentage system (Kill 10, die 2). Those are the real hard ones to call out.

Last edited:
Ok. Keep an eye on the peaks this week. I play it everyday. Never seen it that high. Rarely past 30k
Well today the peak is 57k. So from, what was it? 84k on the weekend? Down to 57k, honestly, that's not as huge of a drop going from totally free to play to not free at all.
Hilarious because either you have great luck or aren't noticing it. Just the few days I played I saw many many cheaters (Automatic sniper rifles, turn around head-shots on three people, etc). They definitely need a way to ban the cheaters (if they even do, then more quickly). I'm talking every 3-6 boards on average. I even hit a bad streak on Saturday and 4 out of 5 boards entered had blatant aimbotters.

Only the dumb or the all out 4lolz cheaters with their finger on the trigger are easily noticed right away. You have some that keep a percentage system (Kill 10, die 2). Those are the real hard ones to call out.
Honestly I'm not sure if the number of cheaters on a free weekend is representative of the actual game. I'm not saying MW3 is hacker free, but I'd like to see what it is in reality. A free weekend is just asking for heaps of random cheaters to create throw away accounts to fuck everyone up. I think if it weren't a free weekend, you wouldn't see nearly as many blatant hackers.

Back