Gamer loving my new Asus 26" VK266H

Just got mine from UPS yesterday. No dead pixels. The colors do look weird out of the box though. It took a while to calibrate and im STILL not sure i got it right.

Anyone have banding issues? I have a couple wallpapers i use and theres slight banding. Also in COD4 too! :confused:

Oh yeah and anyone else have a problem with Windows recognizing the monitor?

Last edited:
a friend got his used for a smoking price and i love it so much i think im going to get one for myself. of course having to pay a Benji more then he did. :-(
he hasnt tried the cam yet but it should work good i would think?

I think I'm gonna jump on this Asus bandwagon.
Are there any other 26" monitors of this quality & price?

Is there a way to get this monitor to not auto switch video inputs? It's a pain to have this switch inputs just because the comp I am using on that input was restarted or went to sleep.

PS, I am absolutely loving this monitor :D.

Nobody?

I bought the VK266H off the egg two weeks ago, tried to use it for a couple days, couldn't stand it, took it out, and found out newegg has a no refund policy. Now I plugged it back in today again hoping to get used to it, and after 5 minutes had to remove it again.

I don't know if it's just MINE EYES or something. I tried all the color schemes and lowering the brightness. If I view any of my current monitors at home with a solid red background, that burns into my eyes too.

Guess I just got used to MVA/IPS panels (Samsung 940T and Viewsonic VP191s here, both 19", a 24" Cinema display at work).

Is it:
- the non-full blacks made worse by the huge 25.5" screen?
- the blue tinge to everything?
- the fact that I got used to decent color reproduction on the non-TN panels?
- whatever crazy backlight they're using to drive this?

Oh god shoot me now.

My mom and my younger brother both have the VW266H and they both love theirs. My body has rejected this monitor, and some eBay'er is gonna get a good deal on a 2-week-old monitor.

I bought the VK266H off the egg two weeks ago, tried to use it for a couple days, couldn't stand it, took it out, and found out newegg has a no refund policy. Now I plugged it back in today again hoping to get used to it, and after 5 minutes had to remove it again.

I don't know if it's just MINE EYES or something. I tried all the color schemes and lowering the brightness. If I view any of my current monitors at home with a solid red background, that burns into my eyes too.

Guess I just got used to MVA/IPS panels (Samsung 940T and Viewsonic VP191s here, both 19", a 24" Cinema display at work).

Is it:

Oh god shoot me now.

My mom and my younger brother both have the VW266H and they both love theirs. My body has rejected this monitor, and some eBay'er is gonna get a good deal on a 2-week-old monitor.

How much are you asking for it :p.

Newegg's got this priced at 238 bucks for the open box version, sounds like an awesome deal.

How's the webcam on this? If it sucks then I'll go with the webcamless version for 226.

Won't some of you consider the 24" BenQ that has fewer 'issues' than the Asus?

I recently bought a Benq G2400WD and was very satisifed. I thought 24" are more then enough - but after having it for one week i felt 26" would have been great. Therefore i decided to test it. 2 days ago i received the vk266h. I had both monitors connected side by side on my desktop. I have to say that the picture quality of the G2400WD is marginal better. The black is more black if you are sitting in a room with dimmed light. But size matters - the picture is visible larger and it becomes easier to read small fonts. I also like the build in webcam and the internal speakers. Overall the vk266h is around 100EUR more expensive then the G2400WD. But considering the 2MP Webcam, internal speakers and larger display it is a fair price premium. I just finished packing the G2400WD to return to sender.

Is it:

Oh god shoot me now.

Probably because the Asus is a wide gamut monitor compared to standard color gamut of your other monitors. Wide gamut tends over-saturate on greens.

What resolutions does this run at?

1920x1200 native

Would it be silly to run it at 1600X ?

As long as the resolution is 16:10 aspect ratio otherwise the image would look stretched unless you use either the scaler built in the monitor or using your video card so that the top and/ or sides would be chopped off. When you run below the native resolution, even at the same aspect ratio, it will look a little bit blurry.

Well, think I'm getting the HP LP2475w 24"...

Or, should I wait 'til next month with the rumored new fast 24" Dell coming out?

Bought a 24" Asus VW246H 16:9 last month and a 25.5' Asus VW266H 16:10 this month. Both are decent monitors. The VW266H had a bit of a blue tint, the VW246H had a bit of a reddish tint. I got them pretty close by eye but never got rid of the bluish tint on the VW266H. Finally bought a cheap ass Huey Pro and got them matching so close I have to look hard to see the difference. No apparent blue tint and no apparent reddish tint on either monitor now to my eyes. The Huey Pro is pretty low quality, I ended up paying $71 last week at newegg when it was on sale ($75.99 - $5 (for emailing newegg and telling them I upgraded my resellerratings review after my previous order) and free S/H. I was one of the lucky ones in that the Huey I got was not one of the many defective ones. I read about 20% of Huey buyers end up getting a them replaced by Pantone because of reddish tint issues. I don't think I would buy another huey, it just seems way too cheap quality wise reminds me of the quality of airline earbuds, wonder how long it will last.

Anyway, it did work and I am enjoying both my calibrated (as close as a cheap calibrator can get them) Asus monitors. I would buy Asus monitors again. After owning a calibrator I probably will get a Spyder 3 when the Huey dies.

Even my two old Dell P1130 CRT monitors did not match each other colorwise, one had a slight blue tint. If you buy two of the same brand and model monitors at the same time I think a person might get two that matched pretty close if they came out of the same batch. There is always going to be variations between individual monitors as well as individual batches.

Bit the bullet and bought the VK24" inch model from newegg at $219 shipped, just crossing my fingers for no dead pixels ~.~

I've had this monitor for almost a year now and it has run absolutely flawlessly. This is the first LCD monitor that I have owned and I couldn't be happier :).

Thanks for the review on the VW266H.

When they are in stock at newegg I may jump on one. Considering this or the Samsung T260HD

Did anyone ever test this thing out for input lag? I got burned on my westinghouse with horrible input lag and don't want to buy another monitor without seeing some actual tests.

i just put my vk266h up for sale localy. used it for about 48hrs and couldnt stand it. was great for movies and games, but for anything on the desktop it was terrible. maybe its just because ive been using an ips panel for the last 4-5 years, but i couldnt stand the changing gamma levels depending where you looked.

i didnt measure the input lag, but i didnt notice any at all.

Did anyone ever test this thing out for input lag? I got burned on my westinghouse with horrible input lag and don't want to buy another monitor without seeing some actual tests.

I would like to know too.People are saying the other asus models are lagless on the srk forums.

i just put my vk266h up for sale localy. used it for about 48hrs and couldnt stand it. was great for movies and games, but for anything on the desktop it was terrible. maybe its just because ive been using an ips panel for the last 4-5 years, but i couldnt stand the changing gamma levels depending where you looked.

i didnt measure the input lag, but i didnt notice any at all.

I need to try these ISP panels you guys keep talking about. I only hand TN panels.. I'm thinking about Dell's 2209WA. Would you give up that much screen size for image quality?

considering i went from a new 26 inch back to a 4 year old dell 2001fp and have no regrets in doing so... id say yes, yes im willing to sacrifice massive size for image quality.

considering i went from a new 26 inch back to a 4 year old dell 2001fp and have no regrets in doing so... id say yes, yes im willing to sacrifice massive size for image quality.

I see.. there are 2 non TN monitors(24") that can be had around $300

LP2465 and the 2407WFP. Both can be had for $300 or less on ebay. The LP2465 may show up on newegg from time to time.

I see.. there are 2 non TN monitors(24") that can be had around $300

LP2465 and the 2407WFP. Both can be had for $300 or less on ebay. The LP2465 may show up on newegg from time to time.

Do not overlook the NEC EA231WMi! It was on my shortlist when I was in the market.

I'm still having a hard time switching from the sheer size of the Asus VW266H to the Dell 2209wa and NEC 20wmgx2 (20.6"). I

With 3 ~22" panels, it's not as bad, but the bezels are starting to bug me on the desktop. Perhaps when I get the other two 2209wa's delivered, the bezels will be less noticeable due to uniformity and I'll probably be more happy with my eyefinity setup.

The picture quality on both the NEC 20wmgx2 and Dell 2209wa is incredible. My Asus VW266H looks like garbage. The only redeeming factor is the big screen size and lack of bezels in the useable space. If I had to choose between a single vw266H and a single smaller ips, that'd be a really tough call. Everything looks so good on the ips panels, my eyes hurt looking at the vw266H. I'm a fan of RTS games though, so that may be influencing my perspective. I would also consider the ea231wmi or the new hp zr24w. Those specs are great but I thought it was supposed to be <$300. That would have made the ea231wmi obsolete though. $400 is fair I guess. For $150 more than a vw266H, it would be $150 well spent.

so i wasnt imagining things. i could swear that monitor was giving me a head ache and giving me serious eye fatigue.

Well, maybe not literally, but the picture was so horrible I wondered why it was such a popular screen. I did not use it for extended periods of time either. It disturbed my eyes. There must be many folks out there who have not seen an IPS panel.

On a side note, I see you have the 2001fp in your sig. I had 2 of those when they first came out. They were decent little screens. The only reason I sold them was because I wanted more resolution and 24" screens were appealing. I might daresay that the 2001fp had better picture quality and was easier on the eyes than my vw266h.

Last edited:
i was running my vk266h and 2001fp side by side for the short time i had the asus. i can say with 100% certainty that the 2001 had a better picture quality and was much easier on the eyes.

Back