Gateway P-6831FX gaming laptop $1249.99 + free game at bestbuy

1440x900 for a 17" laptop? :eek:

That is the one thing that held me off from buying this for a couple of days. I decided it wasn't all that bad because if they went with 1920x1080 then you would either watch a slideshow on the latest and greatest games, or watch it windowed because you were running a lower resolution.

I went and checked one out yesterday before I went home to order it and the screen really isn't that bad. Sure, you can see that it definitely could benefit from a higher-res screen with really small text on the calendar that they had on the desktop, but since I'm mainly going to use mine for surfing (adjustable font size) and games it really isn't going to bother me much at all. HDMI out is a nice touch for hooking it up to the TV.

all i can say is BE CAREFUL. We have the 8800GT version on display in our stores - it runs games AMAZINGLY and we have it hooked up to a 40" 1080p Samsung to show it off to our customers. Because most games are rated M, we have to play Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 to demo it, but it runs it PERFECT. - The reason i say to BE CAREFUL is cuz of the retarded insane gay amount of problems we've had with ALL the gateway laptops that have been release within their last 6 months of M series and this new Gaming Series. I'd say in 2 weeks we take in about 30 to 40 dead laptops that are only a week old. Just be careful. Overall tho, for what it does and what i've seen it do, Damn its good. Just be careful. Or make sure you get the 3 year warranty add-on

Do you mean the GTX version? I'm pretty sure there's no mobile version GT

What a great buy on a nice laptop. Looks like it has great upgradeability, too. A $1300 laptop that can be taken to lan parties and get good FPS in popular games (with a 17" screen to boot) has to be a hot deal! Thanks, OP.

And I have to say, I love the keyboard AND the orange and black colors. Those were my high school colors, so I have a soft spot, you could say. It's even a metallic orange, instead of a cheesy bright orange or something like that. Too bad I just built an $1800 home rig... :eek:

This laptop ROCKS. I haven't gotten the free game or $100 off yet though. I paid $1349.99 last Thursday. Uggg... I would definitely recommend this to everybody though.

Can someone verify the installed VRAM for this? It says up to 512, but nothing specific.

This laptop ROCKS. I haven't gotten the free game or $100 off yet though. I paid $1349.99 last Thursday. Uggg... I would definitely recommend this to everybody though.

Hey, did you buy it at Best Buy? 14 day price guarantee on laptops I believe. Take in your receipt and give it a shot at least. The last thing BBY wants to do is discourage buyers from buying stuff until it "goes on sale," therefore they have the pricematch policy just in case you buy something, then it does go on sale. Take in your receipt and give it a try at least.

I know what the MAXIMUM MEMORY is, but what is the INSTALLED MEMORY on this laptop.

Hey, did you buy it at Best Buy? 14 day price guarantee on laptops I believe. Take in your receipt and give it a shot at least. The last thing BBY wants to do is discourage buyers from buying stuff until it "goes on sale," therefore they have the pricematch policy just in case you buy something, then it does go on sale. Take in your receipt and give it a try at least.

Yeah, I knew about that, but it's 60miles away so I will get there later this week.

Do you mean the GTX version? I'm pretty sure there's no mobile version GT

maybe our tag is just printed wrong ?? cuz on our card is says 8800GT. I havent actually gone into the Device Manager and pulled up the specific card. It could easily be a tagging error. We have a dell laptop that says it has 5 GB of Ram when its only 2 GB. Either way.... We're yet to see issues with this laptop specifically... but TONS TONS AND TONS of issues with gateways created during the same production time... I'd hope there's higher quality stuff in these laptops than the other crap they've been putting out lately.

Clicking the link helps, but I'll end your suspense.

"Built-in Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR technology; 10/100/1000 Mbps Gigabit Ethernet LAN with RJ-45 connector; V.92 high-speed modem"

I have this laptop and love it to death, i play crysis at very high on a lower resolution of 1024x768 and get an average of 25fps.

However, i dont understand why you people are asking these stupid questions about what is included in the laptop. Do you know how to click a link? Have you ever used google? It is on the best buy site, did you go there? There have been several posts in this thread with links to the review of this laptop that tell you EVERYTHING you want to know, please use them.

6980 in 3d mark 06 stock and from all indications this is cpu limited. a processor upgrade is going to yield alot more too. this is a great concept i must say the ferrari with a 4 cylinder in it just waitng to be unleashed. kudos gateway you finnally did something interesting

Shit! anyone else notice a crackle in thier audio on external speakers or headphones? I got a crackle in mine now just tested it. gonna take it back for exchange. this ougta be fun.

Update: took it back and they are giving me a replacement tommorow.

orderd a t9300 for it last night along with a pair of 7200 rpm drives and a flashcard for readyboost. i will let you know how cpu upgrade goes.

T9300 link
http://www.grassrootscomputers.com/..._2.50GHZ/BX80576T9300/partinfo-id-348869.html

Anyone who replaces the cpu in this could you please post pics to make it easier. thanks

Shit! anyone else notice a crackle in thier audio on external speakers or headphones? I got a crackle in mine now just tested it. gonna take it back for exchange. this ougta be fun.

Mine makes a popping sound when wearing headphones and surfing. Once I install some games or play some DVDs I'll see if it still pops. Hopefully it's just a driver issue like Creative had with their SoundBlasters back when Win2k came out.

I haven't installed any software yet since I'm still researching EULA agreements to find out if I can install the same game on two different PC's. COD4 says "You agree not to: Use the program, or permit use fo the program, on more than one computer, computer terminal, or workstation at the same time" I really hope that this means I can have it installed on my desktop and laptop, since I'm the only one who uses either machine. It's not like I'm going to DM myself and they aren't going to be running the game at the same time. It would suck to have to buy two of each game I'd want to play on either machine. I understand it for OS's, but games are required to make a PC operate.

LAWL, was going to pick it up this morning but they called last night and said they "accidentally" sold it to someone else.

Pissed as hell is I.

-1 for Best Buy

Alright, news update, called the store I was to pickup at, got nothing but attitude and a forcible request to come to the store. Busy day for me, so that was a no-go.

Called Best Buy from the 1-888 number instead, was on phone for 10-20 minutes, now the laptop and game will be shipped to my home, and no charge for shipping.

At least they got something done rather than lazy-ass employees at a retail store.

The woes of a deal hunter. :)

when i take out the 250gb and replace with the 2 7200's for raid i will have to reinstall. what is on the recovery disk? there is a recovery partition on the current set up with what I can only assume are drivers and apps. taking out the 250 will eliminate the recovery partition. when I use the recovery cd on the newly created array what is going to load? Just vista? or does the recovery cd have drivers on it too?

want to prepare before I take out OG drive and replace to go to raid.

thanks

when i take out the 250gb and replace with the 2 7200's for raid i will have to reinstall. what is on the recovery disk? there is a recovery partition on the current set up with what I can only assume are drivers and apps. taking out the 250 will eliminate the recovery partition. when I use the recovery cd on the newly created array what is going to load? Just vista? or does the recovery cd have drivers on it too?

want to prepare before I take out OG drive and replace to go to raid.

thanks

Open the gateway recovery center, and click the burn recovery disc. I think its like 7.5gb, so you may need a few discs.

once i do that then what? I am new to this whole Gateway recovery thing .

Alright, news update, called the store I was to pickup at, got nothing but attitude and a forcible request to come to the store. Busy day for me, so that was a no-go.

Called Best Buy from the 1-888 number instead, was on phone for 10-20 minutes, now the laptop and game will be shipped to my home, and no charge for shipping.

At least they got something done rather than lazy-ass employees at a retail store.

The woes of a deal hunter. :)

ONCE AGAIN, Best Buy is amazing at screwing me over.
"Your item is backordered"
"The item listed below is not yet available to be shipped. We expect to ship it within the next 1-2 weeks"

Haven't been this frustrated since the Dell 8800GT thing. >_<

ONCE AGAIN, Best Buy is amazing at screwing me over.
"Your item is backordered"
"The item listed below is not yet available to be shipped. We expect to ship it within the next 1-2 weeks"

Haven't been this frustrated since the Dell 8800GT thing. >_<

What do you expect? This laptop is a HOT item right now.

all i can say is BE CAREFUL. We have the 8800GT version on display in our stores - it runs games AMAZINGLY and we have it hooked up to a 40" 1080p Samsung to show it off to our customers. Because most games are rated M, we have to play Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 to demo it, but it runs it PERFECT. - The reason i say to BE CAREFUL is cuz of the retarded insane gay amount of problems we've had with ALL the gateway laptops that have been release within their last 6 months of M series and this new Gaming Series. I'd say in 2 weeks we take in about 30 to 40 dead laptops that are only a week old. Just be careful. Overall tho, for what it does and what i've seen it do, Damn its good. Just be careful. Or make sure you get the 3 year warranty add-on
Don't worry me now that I have the laptop :eek:. I hope that those you got were due to user error such as airborne laptops or something.

t9300 came in. gonna swap it out tonight.

anyone got any insight as to what it takes? saw there are four small mounting screws around cpu. is that all or is there another attachement point.

thanks

LAWL, was going to pick it up this morning but they called last night and said they "accidentally" sold it to someone else.

Pissed as hell is I.

-1 for Best Buy

Did you get anything in return for the mix-up? You could have easily of gotten a gift card out of it...

I just got this lappy about a week ago and so far so good, only problem is the popping audio on the line out :/ I am actually on this more than my desktop now :p I am a geek squad agent so I got the adh psp and other hdd cheaper and couldn't pass them up. I normally don't get psp's but I see gateways die daily so it got to me a little..

I just got this lappy about a week ago and so far so good, only problem is the popping audio on the line out :/ I am actually on this more than my desktop now :p I am a geek squad agent so I got the adh psp and other hdd cheaper and couldn't pass them up. I normally don't get psp's but I see gateways die daily so it got to me a little..
If Gateways die daily why on earth would I want one in the first place?

These are totally unreliable but just buy an extended warranty so you can go through months of hassle. Not a huge selling point. The Best Buy near me had no idea about these laptops and treated me like an idiot for mentioning it. They made it clear these laptops would not ever be in the store. So it's not like I could just drop in and pick up a replacement.

As usual they probably had no idea and were just blowing smoke and trying to sound important and knowledgeable.

These new models are much better than the older versions. I see barely any of the revised gateways come in.. More hp than gateway for sure, but i believe if you take good care of your product, it will last. I actually see a lot of stupid stuff like broken dc jacks and other damage that could easily avoided by learning how to handle a laptop.

Back