Gateway P-6831FX gaming laptop $1249.99 + free game at bestbuy

If Gateways die daily why on earth would I want one in the first place?

These are totally unreliable but just buy an extended warranty so you can go through months of hassle. Not a huge selling point. The Best Buy near me had no idea about these laptops and treated me like an idiot for mentioning it. They made it clear these laptops would not ever be in the store. So it's not like I could just drop in and pick up a replacement.

As usual they probably had no idea and were just blowing smoke and trying to sound important and knowledgeable.

Gateway's die daily... but that doesnt say the whole company is horrible... think about it bestbuy's main computers are gateways and hp's im sure they sells A LOT everyday.... the geeksquad or any kind of techsupport only deals with the broken... no one comes in with there computer and says "its working fine".... so out of the 1000 a day (world wide... and yes i know the number is probably a lot more) they sell they get 1-2 back that dont work... thats how the majority of companies are... now i dont have an figures or anything to back this up so if gateway sells 10 and 1-2 come back then yeah they suck haha

Got my hands on one for only 1349 cad. decided to jump on it even though I wanted an alienware m15x for 2700, ifigured at half the price and only a little bigger/heavier that I can deal with the 8800 GTS> It's just too good of a deal...

Gateway's die daily... but that doesnt say the whole company is horrible... think about it bestbuy's main computers are gateways and hp's im sure they sells A LOT everyday.... the geeksquad or any kind of techsupport only deals with the broken... no one comes in with there computer and says "its working fine".... so out of the 1000 a day (world wide... and yes i know the number is probably a lot more) they sell they get 1-2 back that dont work... thats how the majority of companies are... now i dont have an figures or anything to back this up so if gateway sells 10 and 1-2 come back then yeah they suck haha

Yea, thats what I was getting at. Sadly, the ones we do get back, the people cause most of the problems. If you have 1gb ram and have 80 processes, the hdd will die much faster since its thrashing all day. Anyway..Overall the newer model gateways seem to be doing very good. I am using this right now and my desktop is just sitting over there > idle lol. Only thing I want to do next is 4gb of ddr2800, which is only 100$ shipped.

It would be important to know why they die. If they have a crappy hd or nic, etc then no big deal. Some times small weaknesses are handy in keeping prices down.;) Even though laptops are not config friendly, upgrading a part or two can turn a problematic laptop into a stable performer. Take the Everex XT5xxxT. A little tweaking turns it into a very good buy. Chances are these Gateways will acquire a large and clever fan base and we can all fix our own problems and make improvements. If it has failing motherboards or crapy screens ... that kind of thing would kill the deal. Right now it is starting to look like they may turn into the next laptop to mod, post about and fall in love with.:D

Ok swapped out for T9300 and added 2 7200 8mb cache hard drives in raid0. very fast load times are silly. wait till SS hard drives get cheaper :) idles between 35 and 39 or so. gotta hook up second monitor to tell you in game score will do soon.

anyway

Old benches (stock chip)

mem bandwith 3600
3d mark 06 7000
3215 sm 2.0
3427 sm 3.0
1436 cpu score

with T9300

mem bandwith 4300
3d mark 06 8800
3868 sm 2.0
3794 sm 3.0
2380 cpu score

i got the unit for $1250
added the t-9300 for $335
added the 2 7200's for $100

so total in $1685.00 not bad :)

wish I could afford the X series chip, then i could OC this. oh well maybe another day.

anyone have confirm on quad support for ths?

does this thing run ddr2 800?

It comes with 667, you need a new cpu to have it run the ram at 800, and new ram that has 800 SPD timings. As far as overclocking, you can use ntune for gpu and I am sure, many software programs for cpu. No need for me as it plays all my games maxed and runs cool. I am also getting very similar results as the poster above. My next upgrade will be ddr2 800, and these notebooks are VERY config friendly.. The cpu is extremely easy to swap out (less than 5 mins for me) and the ONLY thing bad so far is the popping audio, which seems to be a software issue that will be fixed in the future. :D

i had popping audio on my first one I swapped it out for another which does not have the issue.

SO if I change the CPU out to a T9300 wil lit run DDR2 800 if I buy that speed ram then you are saying?

Yea, should't be a problem with an upgraded cpu. I will let you know though when I get my set in next week.

Laptop seems gimped with a 1440x900 res screen. Come on, needed to be at least 1680x1050 to match the specs of the rest of the system. Kind of weak.

Laptop seems gimped with a 1440x900 res screen. Come on, needed to be at least 1680x1050 to match the specs of the rest of the system. Kind of weak.

Check out this deal I got and is available to anyone who goes through the rep in the thread: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1271939

Has a 1920x1200 resolution screen and a T8300. Not the same huge 6mb cache, and 100MHz slower than the T9300, but definitely worth looking at if BB is sticking you with their new $1700 price tag.

This laptop (P-6831FX) will be going on sale again next week at Best Buy again starting Sunday (02/17/08) for $1199 + free PC game (up to $49).

The ad says the regular price is $1349, so the laptop is probably getting a hard price cut next week.

Back