Gateway P-6831FX Review

Makes two of us...

Has any successfully installed XP on this machine? It seems I need to load the SATA driver and I haven't found that on the web yet.

Makes two of us...

Has any successfully installed XP on this machine? It seems I need to load the SATA driver and I haven't found that on the web yet.

I'm going to try to load XP Pro this weekend.

Makes two of us...

can't choose apci in the bios? my sata laptop let me.

Well I got my two hard drives (HD) installed.

First of all, in order to mount the HD's, you need some very small headed screws, just like the ones that come mounted w/the original mounted HD in the FX. With all my large assortment of various screws that I've collected over the years building my own computers, I couldn't find any w/a small enough head. I ended up holding each HD w/just two of the four screws that came w/the original HD. I'll have to stop by a computer store to see if they have any w/that small enough head.

When pulling the stock HD, be very careful, it's in there tight. There is a plastic pull Tab on it, that has a tendency to stretch, and possibly break, if you are not careful. Take the small screw driver you used to open the HD lid, and carefully use it to wedge the HD out in back of it, at the same time you are pulling on the Tab.

Once both drives were installed, I went into the BIOS, went into the Advanced Menu, then selected the SATA mode, and changed it to the RAID mode, Saved and exited.

Rebooted, and a RAID Screen Option comes up where you have to hit the keys < CTRL- I > in order to get in and setup your RAID (RAID 0 or 1) and save that.

I tried loading XP Pro twice, but when it came up to setting up the HD's in the Menu, XP didn't see the HD's. It appears I need a driver for XP to see the RAID drives. :mad: I've got to go and see if I can find one someplace, but in the mean time, I tried loading up Vista, using Gateway provided CD, and it worked w/o a hitch. It saw the RAID drives and loaded the OS w/o a hitch, and very fast too. As for the hardware drivers, that was downloaded w/the Windows Update. No searching around for drivers. Vista was the easiest OS I've ever loaded, and very fast, thanks to the RAID 0, I'm sure. :D

I'll get some benchmarks posted w/Vista, and see if I can find a RAID driver for XP, and load that up.

I'm posting this from my new FX - Got the last one from the Federal Way WA store.

Haven't messed around much - but this thing ROCKS!

so then the raid option appears after you install the second drive?

is that all you did? jsut raid the drives? jsut curious.

the price is now $1700 on bestbuy now. Wooh at getting it for $1250.

Boy those of use who got it for $1250 sure got a good deal then. :D Even when the normal price was $1350, still wasn't bad.

BB probably didn't realize what they had for the price, and w/it selling so well, figured to raise the price.

And now the sales will stop, because you can have a better version of this from Gateway direct for $1999 ! Poor marketing.

Maybe it was a ploy all along by Gateway, to see if what they have would sell?

We also did some free advertising for them, for their new P-171_ FX Series.

BB had a gold mine till they raised the price. shure it falls in line with the gateway price structure now. but it is easy to justify getting the one direct from gateway at that PP. Dumb move BB, unless this is coming from Gateway ???

Judging by consumer response on [H] and similar sites, these things have been flying off the shelves. Only natural for BB to raise prices in response. Really, this thing was a steal at $1350/$1250. At $1700, it's still very decent.

Went by BB for two days looking at this thing and finally decided to pull the trigger on Friday at lunch - damn, am I glad I did. It's a steal at $1250.

I did a wipe and reinstall after making a driver backup. I might be doing a drive/CPU/RAM upgrade in the next couple of weeks, but I'm pretty satisfied with it as is. I spent some quality time playing EQ2 on it this weekend, and I have to say I was impressed. Even with Vista, it's not terribly sluggish.

Now I am extremely glad that I grabbed it when I did for the $1,250...

Guys check out that guide I linked if you plan to install XP... Sound drivers are tricky to get installed and working.

I convinced a local B&M BestBuy to match the MSRP on gateway's retail webpage ($1350). I'm ALMOST convinced to rush right out and buy it before the webpage or the store change. The only thing keeping me from doing so is the build quality. If I upgrade the processor and regularly carry this machine to class/work/home/GF's place, can I expect the machine to last 3 years without going kaputt?

I hear a lot of people ragging on mfg build quality. Some get the "friday" or "monday" built machine that needs $750 of replacement parts in the first year, and others manage to get one that have lasted four to seven years.

I've had a hell of a time with Best buy, my story is in the hot deals thread...anyway..

Ordered last Wed, planned to pickup sat or sunday, called sat night that the store sold it by accident. Called the store next morning, got attitude. Called Best Buy's 1-888 number, got results, changed order, free-shipping to home.
Next day, I get an email that the laptop has been backordered for 1-2 weeks. Oh well. :p

Can't wait till I get it.

I've had a hell of a time with Best buy, my story is in the hot deals thread...anyway..

Ordered last Wed, planned to pickup sat or sunday, called sat night that the store sold it by accident. Called the store next morning, got attitude. Called Best Buy's 1-888 number, got results, changed order, free-shipping to home.
Next day, I get an email that the laptop has been backordered for 1-2 weeks. Oh well. :p

Can't wait till I get it.

I can say that it will be worth the wait...

I am honestly glad I grabbed this while it was still really cheap.

Yeah I go and pick up mine today. I went saturday I was debating but decided to buy it. The only one they had instore was one with preinstalled antivirus junk < I have been virus free for 5+ years with no antivirus, no antispyware, and no firewall besides my router and I'm on the computer 5+ hours a day> but they said they could have it wendsday (today) so I went that route. I was so glade I got it when I did no way I would get it for 1700 lol. Anyway I'm excited to pick it up today.

For those interested, there are some Intel Extreme X7900's for sale on eBay. They're running for $509, w/free shipping. The problem is, they are an overseas seller, which makes me a little nervous. They appear to have a good record though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/INTEL-CORE-2-EXT...QQcmdZViewItem

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm going to shamelessly plug my [H]ot DEAL that I got direct from Gateway:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1271939

Managed to snag an upgraded version of the laptop (WUXGA display, T8300 processor) for only $1699. If you aren't sure of Gateway's build quality, this is the way to go, as it preserves your warranty!

You're going to have to wait for it awhile are you?

Patience is a virtue. :D

Knowing my luck, though, Dell/Alienware will sh a brick and prices will fall on better laptops. :eek:

Oh well, you can't wait forever for the proper deal. As it was explained to me, the reason that I could get such an awesome discount is BECAUSE of the shipping delay.

someone told me gateway laptops have ac charger unsheilded so the laptop mobo will either break or stop charging after a year or 2 of use. is this true? it is definitely a good laptop for the price, and all products have some problems.

Wow no shit!! My wifes best friend has 2 gateways with this exact problem!!! Gateway wanted $265 to fix them each!

Mac

Yes BUT it will downclock to 667Mhz. It's a known issue with Santa Rosa motherboards.

Just buy some cheap 4GB DDR2 (2x2GB) and pop it in. Vista should be blazing afterwords. :)

i go this 2gb and 1gb that came with it in here. any advantage to getting a matched set of 2 gig sticks? shouldn't it run better with matched dimms?

There isn't much difference with dual-channel vs. single on a notebook. If you have some extra money, you could always get 4GB and sell the modules you have currently.

Nonetheless, 3GB will run very well in Vista. :)

Mine finally shipped on Thursday, UPS tracking says it should come on Monday or Tuesday. :)

I like the design and the specs of the laptop very much. However, I refuse to buy from Gateway ever again. Horrible customer service that pretty much tell you to f*ck yourself whenever a problem arises.

I'll stick to Sager if I want the same design.

Ok swapped out for a T9300 I must say a immeadiate improvment.

stock 3d mark 06 8600

with T9300
3d mark 06 9700

also added 2 7200 rpm seagates for raid 0

picked up the Gskill 4-4-4-12 2 x 2gb and memory bandwidth went from 4000 to 4500 chipset picked up timings just fine.

must say the upgrade really makes a difference especially coupled with the 7200's in raid0

vendor was great on the cpu no issues (grassroots)

very fast.

Ok swapped out for a T9300 I must say a immeadiate improvment.

stock 3d mark 06 8600

with T9300
3d mark 06 9700

also added 2 7200 rpm seagates for raid 0

picked up the Gskill 4-4-4-12 2 x 2gb and memory bandwidth went from 4000 to 4500 chipset picked up timings just fine.

must say the upgrade really makes a difference especially coupled with the 7200's in raid0

vendor was great on the cpu no issues (grassroots)

very fast.

Thx.

Hope to get a T9300 in the next week or two.

I get mine tommorrow =D

I ended up picking up A second 2 gig stick of G.Skill, I'm not really fond of the idea of Mismatched Duals even though they are probably fine. Also Picked up A second WD 5200 Scorpio for some raid action =D

From what i've read the HDD's that come with the Gateway are pretty much scorpios, there are a few people on the notebookreview forum that just ordered a second 5200 WD Scorpio and are running great they are supposed to do real nice in raid.

In 2 weeks its time for my T9300 =D

a question here for gateway owners. When you have ever needed tech support, do they speak english in a manner you could understand? Or is it outsourced to somewhere that you have no idea what they are saying to you?

a question here for gateway owners. When you have ever needed tech support, do they speak english in a manner you could understand? Or is it outsourced to somewhere that you have no idea what they are saying to you?

There's online tech support and sales support. I've used both of them and they were great. No need to deal with accents or crappy reception. Plus, it lets you save a copy of the conversation.

Back