Gateway XHD3000 - 30" Widescreen Extreme HD Display

Man those specs rule!!! some many plugs and so many buttons to click! ;)

All I can do with my Dell 3007WFP-HC is look at the screen, I'm jealous.

Kidding aside, I sure hope this turns out to be a great lcd. I love progress. Something to look forward to in reviews. Got my fingers crossed.

being that 720p to 2560 is a fair hike, we can also assume that "all" HD will look pretty good,

I've always been wary of HDTV/DVD performance at 2560

I'm slightly hopeful about this - I never really understood why Dell (& HP) didn't provide 4:1 (for 720p) & 9:1 (for 480p) pixel map options. You might expect it to be a touch 'blocky' but there would be no processing noise. Potentially the image processing could do some filtering to smooth things out a little, though it would be good to have the option to turn the processing on/off

If you sit back to watch video or play consoles it would be approximately equivalent to a 32"-37" HDTV which runs 1366x768.

I'm slightly hopeful about this - I never really understood why Dell (& HP) didn't provide 4:1 (for 720p) & 9:1 (for 480p) pixel map options.

My guess would be that it was too expensive to do it all,….I might have my wires crossed here, but I think the new Pioneer Kuro’s have something akin to what used to cost $40 000 a few yrs back{video processor}, so with the chipset price drops, they’re dropping in the good stuff.

One could use the 30 for multi-media and grab a new gen 22 for everything else.

I would guess that you could comfortably watch HDTV from about 1.2 mtrs, maybe 1.5 @ 2560x1600, IOW, you could plonk it on your desk and not have to move half a mile away for the sake of PQ as compared to a 768p 32inch LCD TV.

Cost of video processing is obviously falling at the same rate as any silicon, but my point about the 4:1 pixel map is that it's not doing any sophisticated processing.

3007WFP already does a 4:1 map (double height, double width) on 1280x800 to make it full screen - why not allow it on 1280x720 material?

Cost of video processing is obviously falling at the same rate as any silicon, but my point about the 4:1 pixel map is that it's not doing any sophisticated processing.

3007WFP already does a 4:1 map (double height, double width) on 1280x800 to make it full screen - why not allow it on 1280x720 material?

Probably cause they consider the 30's as strictly for office/scientific use, so they didn't bother themselves with multi-media....until now.

Btw, I'm now thinking that if HDTV content was properly upscaled[nice and tight], then you could prolly view it from 900mm-1000mm.

Demo 6
They had a notebook hooked up via VGA input. This showed that you could hook up any old PC or laptop and still use the monitor (try that Apple / Dell / HP!!!) Unfortunately, you can only max out at 1920 x 1200 as VGA can’t support 2560 x 1600. ...........[/LIST]​

To clarify more...
VGA analaog bandwidth of most graphic cards has 400Mhz RAMDACs.. by reducing the blanking signal, the resolution supported by VGA exceeds that of DL-DVI.. It is the scaler used in this gateway monitor that unable to process signal higher than 1920x1200@60Hz.
Gateway should have used a better scaler chip that would enable 2560x1600@60Hz analog VGA signal (with reduced blanking) at full native resolution.

doubling height and width does not require a scaler/complicated scaling... a 720p material would require additional 40 lines at the top and bottom info which surely is not as easy..​

This monitor seems to be extremely promising...but none of those links are actual reviews. I've seen glowing articles about things seen at tradeshows before...things that turned out to be not so great after reviewers got their hands on them. I need some professional and real world reviews of this thing before I even think about whipping out the plastic.;)

for someone who doesn't work for gateway, you sure is working hard and spend a lot of time digging these so-called "reviews"
from this link you send:
http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/gateway-xhd3000-1249.shtml
I assume this sleazy salesman is not you then
Have you looked at the 'find all posts by this poster' results for tim? Just about no activity except Gateway-related threads. I'm not saything this is a bad thing, but when somebody is so incredibly enthusiastic about a product I have to be a little suspicious.

for someone who doesn't work for gateway, you sure is working hard and spend a lot of time digging these so-called "reviews"

from this link you send:

lol the picture of that guy is priceless

Tim's reason for having so much enthusiasm is probably just the normal "gawd l33t i wantz it."
If Gateway(Acer whatever) wanted to plant someone I think they'd be a little more subtle :D

back OT,
I'm coming a little late in the convo but does anyone know what specific panel this is using?

Have you looked at the 'find all posts by this poster' results for tim? Just about no activity except Gateway-related threads. I'm not saything this is a bad thing, but when somebody is so incredibly enthusiastic about a product I have to be a little suspicious.

All the way back to 05 Only active in gateway threads :D

from this link you send:

It is him...I thought one of the articles in the links he gave sounded suspiciously like his original post here.:p

edit- Oh, and Tim...Kyle allows company pimps here but you must talk to him about it first to avoid the B7. ;)

All the way back to 05 Only active in gateway threads :D

I personally don't care if he does work for Gateway. You are looking at it from the wrong perspective I think. How about seeing it as "Inside information" that most wont get. I kinda like that idea. Anyways, this is purely hypothetical because we dont know for sure. :)

I personally don't care if he does work for Gateway. You are looking at it from the wrong perspective I think. How about seeing it as "Inside information" that most wont get. I kinda like that idea. Anyways, this is purely hypothetical because we dont know for sure. :)
True, but theres a difference between "inside info" and company spin.;)

If Tim is a Gateway employee, wouldn't revealing inside information for the benefit of the company he works for without revealing that fact, make him a shill? That is why I am concerned.

Ditto. Many manufacturers (at least the smart ones) keep an eye on forums, and most do not reveal their affiliation. I have no idea whether Tim in CA is Tim Almeida but as the guy who wrote the article and took the picture that is being referred to above, I would definitely not use the term "sleazy" to refer to the Tim from Gateway. Seemed like a good guy and definitely very passionate about what he does.

The Silicon Optix Realta HQV video processor is one of the best in the industry for upconversion of SD sources to HD (and beyond, as in this case), and I was really surprised to see it in a computer monitor. I've been in a room full of journalists watching a demo of SD 480p DVDs (upconverted by HQV to 1080p) vs.Blu-ray Disc and HD-DVD equivalents (native 1080p), and it was sometimes very difficult to tell the difference. It's not just line-doubling. It's high speed motion adaptive interpolation at the pixel level deriving missing details in the image based on what detail they do have available. And it works extremely well.

I'm no great fan of LCD flat panel technology (at least in its current implementations in consumer HDTVs), but the Gateway monitor definitely overcame some of the usual limitations of LCD, namely image lag and motion trailing. I can't comment on its black level reproduction as I've only seen it in medium to high lighting conditions. I would have liked to see some form of 120 Hz processing on it (interpolation or even black frame insertion), but I would imagine that would take a whole lot of horsepower in a monitor of this size/resolution, and this would definitely have raised the price.

Anyway... I saw the link to our article (Thanks!) and thought I would comment a bit to give some more detail. I agree with some of the other posters that you'll probably have to wait for more thorough reviews of the unit before forming any substantial opinions but what I have seen so far at the two shows has definitely been impressive.

Later,

-Chris

If someone is affiliated with a company and shares "inside info" then yippee.
Purposefully hiding ones identity to use a forum for free advertisement is not only wrong but I'm pretty sure thats illegal.
Regardless thats not even the part that chaffs my ass. Assuming Tim-in-CA works for a advertising consulting company and isn't just some weirdo zealot(i'm guessing the latter) then his purpose is to sway the "n00bies" that make up the bulk of the traffic to forums like [H]. In the past companies had someone become a regular on a forum just to build a reputation. A forum member with a big post count and a familiar name has a lot of persuasive power in the community. If said member creates a "Hey I love this new product and fully recommend it" those "n00bies" won't do their own homework and will just copy the cool guy.

As I said I don't think thats the case though. I think Tim just likes Gateway products at an unhealthy level :)

If you are affiliate with a company you shouldn't lie about that. If you have to lie in order to safely share whatever information then you shouldn't be sharing that information. There is absolutely no valid reason to play those types of games. Its shady and bad business.

I apologize for the rant but it was really surprising that some said they are fine with that practice...

I apologize for the rant but it was really surprising that some said they are fine with that practice...
OK, you made good points. So if Tim does work for Gateway, then should we hang him? Or burn him at the stake? Or maybe we just burn the steak and all have a nice barbecue?

But that would be a waste of some good steak. Unless we watch it on the Gateway XHD3000 (sorry, had to get back on topic).

-CB

I'm not making any accusations but the OP read like an advertisement; so I googled "tim-in-ca" and "gateway" which revealed that tim is also a member of ocforums.com where he has coincidentally also only posted in gateway related threads.

I should add that they are similarly enthusiastic postings.

http://www.ocforums.com/search.php?searchid=2326410

there used to be a "ex-member" by the name of Top Nurse at the water cooling forum. He was banned permanently. This piece of work and his german friend would post daily on products from Auqa. His german friend, also a ex-member here, both claim are not employee of auqa. And yet his german friend somehow manage to post AutoCAD design prototype drawing of their water blocks tick by tick.

This POS also manage to post live photos of the warehouse every Fri. You know any co. who allows a non-employee to walk into their warehouse to take photos, and post them every Fri.?

These 2 POS uses the bandwidth of [H] for free, to attract customers to their auqa products.

Kyle has strong rules saying if you represent a co. or a moderator of that co.'s forum, etc., you must declare your ID because there is a conflict of interest, not to mention these POS are using Kyle's bandwidth for commerical adveristing.

Now back on this topic, I think it is overdone and unheard for someone who is "not" an employee of gateway to post 6 links of this lcd, back to back.

there used to be a "ex-member" by the name of Top Nurse at the water cooling forum. He was banned permanently. This piece of work and his german friend would post daily on products from Auqa. His german friend, also a ex-member here, both claim are not employee of auqa. And yet his german friend somehow manage to post AutoCAD design prototype drawing of their water blocks tick by tick.

This POS also manage to post live photos of the warehouse every Fri. You know any co. who allows a non-employee to walk into their warehouse to take photos, and post them every Fri.?

These 2 POS uses the bandwidth of [H] for free, to attract customers to their auqa products.

Kyle has strong rules saying if you represent a co. or a moderator of that co.'s forum, etc., you must declare your ID because there is a conflict of interest, not to mention these POS are using Kyle's bandwidth for commerical adveristing.

Now back on this topic, I think it is overdone and unheard for someone who is "not" an employee of gateway to post 6 links of this lcd, back to back.

You may be right, but I still don't care.

Improperly using a forums bandwidth isn't something you have to care about.
But you definitely should care about this guys motives. He isn't sharing inside info. All he's doing is pushing a product that no one has a clue about.
I'm not saying you are an impressionable person but there definitely are very impressionable people who frequent this forum. While its a person's sole responsibility to make his/her own decisions we shouldn't allow bad people to take advantage of anyone.
Not to mention standing up to unethical businesses and their practices should be something you'd want to do but thats your prerogative.

You're right..it doesn't make this new Gateway 30" any less (or more) attractive just because a company pimp is sounding off about it. Anyone who makes a buying decision based off the posts of one person deserves whatever they end up with.

edit- having said that, this could be an employee doing this on his own....but having worked for several large corporations, I know that ideas like planting a pimp on public forums can be born in a conference room by higher ups. ;)

But you definitely should care about this guys motives. He isn't sharing inside info. All he's doing is pushing a product that no one has a clue about.

You contradict yourself here. But that doesn't matter really. I would think that if you cannot make a decision on your own, then you are probably under 18, in which your parents would be involved. They can make a much more educated decision. As for using the forums for "free advertising", I'm sure this is so widespread that it doesn't matter how much you try to police it. It will happen regardless.

Most of us wouldn't know anything about this monitor if this thread were not made. I personally think having major corporations contribute to forums is a good thing. Not only for someone like "Gateway" but also for the consumer. Imagine if all major corporations had a direct link to you and you to them on your favorite forum. This will not only help the consumer, but the corporation as well. Any issues could be addressed out in the open for all to see. Dell or any corporation would be able to address problems quickly and accurately. Of course this is all IMO, so take it as a grain of salt if you wish :)

You contradict yourself here. But that doesn't matter really. I would think that if you cannot make a decision on your own, then you are probably under 18, in which your parents would be involved. They can make a much more educated decision. As for using the forums for "free advertising", I'm sure this is so widespread that it doesn't matter how much you try to police it. It will happen regardless.

Most of us wouldn't know anything about this monitor if this thread were not made. I personally think having major corporations contribute to forums is a good thing. Not only for someone like "Gateway" but also for the consumer. Imagine if all major corporations had a direct link to you and you to them on your favorite forum. This will not only help the consumer, but the corporation as well. Any issues could be addressed out in the open for all to see. Dell or any corporation would be able to address problems quickly and accurately. Of course this is all IMO, so take it as a grain of salt if you wish :)
I don't think the issue is with Gateway or any other company giving inside info on public forums...but rather the deception of not being upfront about it. Company mouthpieces are going to play up the precieved strengths of their product while at the same time downplaying (or ignoring) any faults it might have versus the competition. When they prentend to be just "average joe user" like the rest of us...then that becomes an issue.

I don't think the issue is with Gateway or any other company giving inside info on public forums...but rather the deception of not being upfront about it. Company mouthpieces are going to play up the precieved strengths of their product while at the same time downplaying (or ignoring) any faults it might have versus the competition. When they prentend to be just "average joe user" like the rest of us...then that becomes an issue.

I think what you are pointing out here is transparency. That I can agree with.

Personally (IMO), if this were my forum, I would send out invitations to all major manufacturers for membership on our forum. With one exception, that they all be labeled as "Gatway Support #1" "Dell Customer Service #243" "HP Sales Rep #34".

As for downplaying or upselling a product, it happens whether they are in a company or not, look at the CPU debates or GPU components that when shown proof to the contrary they still hold their "product" as better no matter what.

+1 for what joemama said. Exactly what I was trying to get across.
procooling's forums rocked when reps released new product info and answered questions there. Wish that happened more often.

$1700 for a 30" HDTV...are you nuts? The contrast ratio sucks.

It's probably a genuine number....also, it's only a 30inch screen, having a superdooper high native CR isn't as critical as it is on say a 46inch HDTV....that said, I certainly don't object to bumps in both native and dynamic CR if done properly.

The price kind of sux, but it will drop at some point, but you gotta remember, if this thing scales DVD and 720p like it claims, you can watch it from approx 1 meter, so you could literally have it on your home/work desk and not have to move back 2mtrs like you would on a 768p 32inch HDTV.

I'm not an early adopter, but this is the first 30/32 I'd have on my PC desk based on the glowing reviews/specs.

I also welcome sales reps, but I'd like them to have their company advertised in their username.

$1700 for a 30" HDTV...are you nuts? The contrast ratio sucks.
The price listed is the MSRP. It's bound to drop shortly after release and street prices will be more realistic. This monitor also has features no other has, justifying the extra expense to a certain extent.

Back