Gateway XHD3000 - 30" Widescreen Extreme HD Display

$1700 for a 30" HDTV...are you nuts? The contrast ratio sucks.
Actually, it's not an HDTV. It has no tuner. But it has twice the number of pixels of a 1080p TV, and 4X the number of pixels of a 720p TV. Manufacturer-stated contrast ratios are not terribly useful - no industry standard for how it's measured. Kinda like "Watts per channel" on audio equipment. But native resolution specs would be pretty hard to get wrong since there are a fixed number of pixels on the panel.

This is really a crossover home theater/gaming/PC display kind of piece, with the ability to display HD sources from component video, HDMI or DVI, plus the ability to be a super-high-res PC monitor with a standard video card (it'll upsample VGA and DVI PC inputs to the native res of the panel).

We've been added to the review list, but it's likely we won't get a review sample until well after they hit the market. You'll probably see reviews on CNET and in the PC mags before ours.

Oh, and as for the lack of 120 Hz processing, in addition to cost, it was probably left out due to lag issues. At CEDIA I saw a demo of gaming on 120 Hz CE LCD displays (Sony, Sharp, Toshiba, JVC). On all but the JVC, the lag between moving the controller and actually seeing the result of the action on the display was really noticeable. The "Gaming mode" included on several 120Hz models, actually drops the units back to 60 Hz processing in order to minimize lag.

BTW, I updated our article with a couple of new pics we just got from Gateway today, including the inputs/outputs. You can find a link to our article earlier in the thread.

-CB

Anyone know what the pixel pitch (think that's the right term) is? Would it be similar to the dell 30"? Hopefully it's a little larger since looking at text on the 30" can be straining since it's so small. If i remember correctly, the gateway 24" had larger pixels than the dell 24". Hope that's the case here.
Also..confirmed that this is an IPS panel?

Anyone know what the pixel pitch (think that's the right term) is? Would it be similar to the dell 30"? Hopefully it's a little larger since looking at text on the 30" can be straining since it's so small. If i remember correctly, the gateway 24" had larger pixels than the dell 24". Hope that's the case here.
Also..confirmed that this is an IPS panel?

Pitch is essentially identical to the Dell.

Screen is likely PVA, otherwise I would expect they would be using a 92% + gamut panel. All new 30" S-IPS have higher gamut (Dell 3007-HC, HP3065).

Bottom line for me is my screen is first and and foremost a PC screen. I would take a single input S-IPS over this multi-input PVA.

I would only consider this panel if I could extensively test it first.

Ahh... too bad it's not IPS and that pixel pitch will make me reconsider... but damn if it performs as well as they say it does, then it might be worth it.

so tempting, but I'll wait until the price goes down...the wife would kill me if I sold my 1 month old 2707 and spent more to buy a new LCD :p

There is NO comparison between the Gateway 30 and the Dell / Apple / HP / Samsung 30W displays. They only have dual-link DVI as their only input (you can't connect anything other than a PC with a dual-link graphics card). The Gateway 30 on the other hand has all the inputs (Dual/Single Link DVI, HDMI, VGA, Component, Composite, S-Video) with audio input for each (HDMI being the exception as it already has audio in it). In looking at the manual (pointed to in a previous post), you can even connect your home stereo to the monitor to bypass the included speakers (although, the included speaker bar did sound GREAT in my opinion). During the demo, they had Playstation hooked up via HDMI so you definitely could connect your DirecTV receiver to this as well. The included remote was universal so you could reprogram it to control your box. Also, I was told that the monitor also has an IR Blaster port on the back and ships with the IR Blaster cable / emitter. This way, you could hide your DirecTV (or other IR receiving device) and any IR commands received by the Gateway 30 will be retransmitted out the IR blaster cable. The other 30's are really no match for this display ... I'm saving up right now :) (Mac-n-Cheese anyone? :p)

On the subject of expensive, this really is NOT expensive if you are in the market for a 2560x1600 30W display or want a PC monitor and an LCD TV. The other 30's are really only single purposed but the Gateway 30 lets you connect anything you want to it and video processes / scales the image to look great!!

I'm EXTREMELY angry and jealous of you right now! :mad:
Why the hell couldn't the other companies do something like this in the first place? :(
Should I ebay my HP LP3065 and try to get this one? Is there a device that I can buy that can hook up to my monitor to try to *sniff* come close to the features of this beast?

Almost everyone here who has purchased Gateway's last "lastest" technology monitor the 24-inch knows the fiasco on that one. Besides the heat issue, the inverse ghosting, which Gateway has never acknowledge as a problem.

I still have the 24-inch Gateway monitor gathering dust because of the inverse ghosting. I bought the 24-inch because the 21-inch Gateway was a favorite monitor of mine. I will not make the same mistake twice.

If Tim does work for Gateway get your act together and do a recall for your failed 24-inch monitor. Everyone who bought one should get a refund. No other monitor has an inverse ghosting problem, and most importantly no other 24-inch monitor does.

The 30-inch sounds good on paper. I will wait for multiple reviews for over a year before I will buy another Gateway monitor. And everyone else who hasn't experience the fustration of the 24-inch Gateway monitor be very wary of being the "first kid on the block" with the 30-inch.

Almost everyone here who has purchased Gateway's last "lastest" technology monitor the 24-inch knows the fiasco on that one. Besides the heat issue, the inverse ghosting, which Gateway has never acknowledge as a problem.

I still have the 24-inch Gateway monitor gathering dust because of the inverse ghosting. I bought the 24-inch because the 21-inch Gateway was a favorite monitor of mine. I will not make the same mistake twice.

If Tim does work for Gateway get your act together and do a recall for your failed 24-inch monitor. Everyone who bought one should get a refund. No other monitor has an inverse ghosting problem, and most importantly no other 24-inch monitor does.

The 30-inch sounds good on paper. I will wait for multiple reviews for over a year before I will buy another Gateway monitor. And everyone else who hasn't experience the fustration of the 24-inch Gateway monitor be very wary of being the "first kid on the block" with the 30-inch.

qft, I personally went through 6 24" gateways before getting a decent one...

1st one died w/ in 2 weeks, 2nd one had the "buzzing" noise, etc etc.

I agree w/ the above poster, that the new 30" lcd looks good on paper and even though it's a PVA panel vs IPS...the extra inputs plus the ability to scale down is a massive plus

I agree w/ the above poster, that the new 30" lcd looks good on paper and even though it's a PVA panel vs IPS...the extra inputs plus the ability to scale down is a massive plus

When you think about it. Nothing except a computer is actually going to utilize the resolution.

If you actually need a display with all those inputs why not get a bigger cheaper HDTV. You can likely get a 1920x1080 40" TV to handle all that stuff.

When you think about it. Nothing except a computer is actually going to utilize the resolution.

If you actually need a display with all those inputs why not get a bigger cheaper HDTV. You can likely get a 1920x1080 40" TV to handle all that stuff.

Because it will apparently upscale any 1080 or below feed to its native res.

Good for gamers I guess. You'll be able to run at a lower res and still get a decent picture.

I still get the feeling there will be something that will ruin it. Just like with the 24".

MaximumPC seems happy with it though. They gave it a 9/kick ass. :/

Since pan Acer group owns BenQ and Acer ... and now Acer owns Gateway.. This 30 incher may very well be the 30 incher of BenQ with multiple inputs that was never released ... even thou was shown/demoed in Computex

MaximumPC said this

You’d think that with all the extras it offers, the XHD3000 would be more expensive than the competition. In fact, at $1,700 it’s priced lower than 30-inch models from Samsung, HP, and Apple and is only slightly more expensive than Dell’s 30-inch. If you’re after maximum screen real estate and ultimate usability, the XHD3000 is well worth its asking price.

Huh? Do they mean MSRP? The other 30 inch models can all be had for $1,200-$1,400

Huh? Do they mean MSRP? The other 30 inch models can all be had for $1,200-$1,400
They must mean MSRP, because that is what the quoted $1700 can only be. Meaning, street prices will undoubtedly be lower once this model becomes widely available in the channel. Give it a couple of weeks.

Because dude, 30" users live at a higher plain of existence than a mere mortal such as yourself. 1920x1080 is not enough. We run our world at 2560x1600. And that is why a 30 inch monitor with that upscaler to make all the lower res crap catch up to native res is so appealing. :D

Apple's MSRP for the 30" ACD is still $1800.

Although they are $1500 Refurb.

Tracer

I'm going to start wiping down my HP LP3065. Its a good thing I kept the box and most of the packaging. I'm seriously thinking of ebaying this to get the gateway. But I'm going to wait to hear more about this heating issue and to hear more real user/owner reviews.
I wish some enterprising company would come out with a high quality speaker bar like the gateway's and have an integrated upscaler chip with inputs that all fits nice and neet under the average 30 inch monitor. That would make up the difference with the LP3065 and the Dell 3007wfp-hc and all the rest.

Lot of upscale talk, but 2560x1600 is 16:10 while consoles are outputting at 16:9 resolutions. Will this thing maintain the aspect ratio (1:1 pixel scaling)? I was one of the first to buy the Gateway 24" and it was the single worst purchase I made. If you buy a Gateway monitor, don't buy it from Gateway but from a B&M store so you can return it if it's like the previous products.

When do you think it will start showing up in stores like Best buy or Fry's? I dont really want to try buying from Gateway. If I can buy it at a regular store I can return it easily if it's plagued by problems like the 24".

Also, why am I not surprised the 30" has a similiar heat issue as the 24" model?

One of the speculations of the inverse ghosting on the 24" Gateway was due to heat, the hotter it was the worse was the inverse ghosting. Not saying this was the cause, because another theory was the Enhanced Video Processing through DCDi by Faroudja. Of course every 24" Gateway "professional" review on the internet never mentioned the inverse ghosting (will the ones I have seen). But my 21" Gateway had the Faroudja chip also and that didn't have inverse ghosting.

So right now, if you give Gateway the benefit of the doubt. Haha! The only thing wrong with the 30" Gateway is heat and maybe price.

I would think Best Buy and CompUSA will get this by the end of this year? Don't buy this at CompUSA they have a lousy return policy (none), will the one in Hawaii does.

Lot of upscale talk, but 2560x1600 is 16:10 while consoles are outputting at 16:9 resolutions. Will this thing maintain the aspect ratio (1:1 pixel scaling)? I was one of the first to buy the Gateway 24" and it was the single worst purchase I made. If you buy a Gateway monitor, don't buy it from Gateway but from a B&M store so you can return it if it's like the previous products.
Yes, it supports native aspect ratio. You'll get slight black bars at the top and bottom if you do that with 16:9 material, or larger ones with 2.35:1 material.

-CB

Yes, it supports native aspect ratio. You'll get slight black bars at the top and bottom if you do that with 16:9 material, or larger ones with 2.35:1 material.

-CB

That's awesome to know. I just hope it doesn't tear like the 24" monitor did when the 1:1 was turned on.

Anyone bought it yet?
Been searching for a large monitor since I do alot of graphic work.
For the work I do it's perfectly fine regarding the resolution, but I game too.
Was hesitant due to the fact that current video cards can't push such high resolutions with all settings maxed.
So I decided to just settle for a 24" or a 27".

If this monitor truly can upscale without much degradation, it'll truly be something great.

Luckily, a side project I'll be finishing up within a week or so will cover the cost of the monitor.
I'm actually thinking of making the purchase...
I must sleep on this one.

My boss just bought this monitor for me, so hopefully I shall have a full review up in a week or so.

Haha nah.. I'm a man. and my boss is a man also. I'm doing a little side project for him, a custom website for his digital surveillance division. So I just told him to buy the monitor for me instead. ^^

Could have probably asked for more stuff, but I don't feel like taking advantage since the project isn't hard.

Awesome. Will it be on a review site or this forum?

I will be posting it here on [H].
But the problem is that I don't have any devices to attach in order to test the inputs other than my HD signal for my cable and my pc, of course.

Maybe I'll try borrowing my friend's PS3 and test out the HDMI.

One question, for my HD cable - which would be a better connection, HDMI or Component?

oh thats cool your doing that for him, and thats good your not gay either.
i cant wait for your review, im serious about this being my next monitor!!!

oh thats cool your doing that for him, and thats good your not gay either.
i cant wait for your review, im serious about this being my next monitor!!!

haha, not that there's anything wrong with someone being gay. ahem.
Yeah, I just home I receive it soon. Can't wait.

Once I get it in my hands and run a thorough evaluation, I will start a new thread with the results.

Back