Gateway XHD3000 - 30" Widescreen Extreme HD Display

That sounds like Dell, but

BamaDave said in another thread that his dilivery date was delayed twice. If they are ready to ship; why not just bring them out along side the 3007wfp at a much higher price like $2k. They may be holding back for CES in Jan. I would think that if they are shipping to top teir clients we would be hearing more about them.

One thing is for sure. It will be several months until the full array of products are on the market, and even longer until the prices get real. The orignal non HC 3007wfp started at over $2k according to the thread on this forum. I am really querious to see what we get from HP, Smasung amongest others.

Sorry if I got this thread off track. I did buy a XHD3000 and was very disatisified with it. The black levels were terrable on the unit I recieved. It had issues with input lag in non-native resolutions, and it flickered from what appeared to be a sync issue. Min was from the first batch made and Gateway has done an admirable job of responding to issues with the first batch.

I think we will know a lot more after CES.

Dave

Dual-link and Single-link DVI, VGA, HDMI, Component, S-Video, Composite and Audio Inputs.

I do like that. That's a shit load plus the audio inputs is a plus. And a remote? Nice.They really must be aiming for that Multi-Purpose Monitor. Interesting to see.

Gateway has done multipurpose before with their Dimension line of PCs with TV-type displays; however, the XHD3000 can connect to multiple sources (none of which need be a PC, let alone one from Gateway), so it also competes with high-end 32" LCD TVs and even multipiece home-theater setups, let alone high-end PC displays from Dell and H-P (which it plain and simply trumps). If this is the real deal, I can only hope that there will be even larger displays (or even a whole *line* of XHD displays, from 30" to 55"; quite frankly, the XHD could easily be a HDTV-killer, since you pretty much need a separate STB for HD cable or satellite *anyway*).

Seriously, the 30" XHD is *not* priced out of line with 30" displays from either Dell or HP, none of which come even remotely close to matching the features of the XHD3000

I just checked the Gateway product page for the XHD3000. They say they are now in stock. Has anybody received one of the new ones recently? Did they fix the phillips screw showing through the screen problem?

I'm looking to buy this display as my do-all display. PC/Media Center, MacPro, Xbox 360, PS3, original Xbox, PS2. And hobbyist photo editing.

I'm not terribly concerned about input lag, I'm sure my current Samsung 26" HDTV has worse input lag, and I don't notice/doesn't bother me.

Mark

Any card that has at least one dual-link DVI port. Anything less and you won't achieve the full native resolution of the display.

Such cards are not only inexpensive, but are *not* limited to PCIe. Most (if not all) ATI X1K series cards (even the AGP 8X versions, such as my own X1650PRO) support DL DVI on at least one port (my own card support DL DVI on the primary port and SL DVI on the secondary port). Certainly nV's 7/8 series or even the ATI HD2000 series can match this. It is displays like the XHD3000 that can truly bring ridiclious-screen monitor *work* to the masses (A certain retailer's only *other* monitor the same size requires a custom graphics setup, custom drivers, and still costs $100 more than this downright scary Seeing-Eye Cow.).

I just checked the Gateway product page for the XHD3000. They say they are now in stock. Has anybody received one of the new ones recently? Did they fix the phillips screw showing through the screen problem?

I'm looking to buy this display as my do-all display. PC/Media Center, MacPro, Xbox 360, PS3, original Xbox, PS2. And hobbyist photo editing.

I'm not terribly concerned about input lag, I'm sure my current Samsung 26" HDTV has worse input lag, and I don't notice/doesn't bother me.

Mark

Mark,

I recently received one and the "screw head shadow" does not appear under normal operating conditions. Although, if I do press my hand on the screen, it will appear on a white background. As to this problem only appearing if you put pressure on the screen or not, you will have to decide if that is a flaw and it being "fixed".

Hello guy's, I have a question I am looking for a all in one lcd monitor. TV/PC/MOVIES/GAMES. Now I do not know which to choose from this monitor or the
Sharp Aquos LC-32GP1U. Now this monitor is 2560x1600 and this will mean I have to keep investhing in video cards so it will cost more in the long run. But I also have a question for this Gateway monitor, do you have to have the computer open and watch tv like a real television ? thank in advance

Hello guy's, I have a question I am looking for a all in one lcd monitor. TV/PC/MOVIES/GAMES. Now I do not know which to choose from this monitor or the
Sharp Aquos LC-32GP1U. Now this monitor is 2560x1600 and this will mean I have to keep investhing in video cards so it will cost more in the long run. But I also have a question for this Gateway monitor, do you have to have the computer open and watch tv like a real television ? thank in advance

This display has a pretty high-end built in scaler. Which means you don't have to play your games at the maximum native resolution.

The monitor has multiple inputs, meaning if your television is connected to it directly - there's no need to have the pc on.

I just ordered the XHD3000 from Gateway, pretty impulsively as well lol. I can pay it off within the next 12 months though, no fear :D I should have it by the 18th according to the website.

I am currently running a Samsung 32" LCD monitor but I am no longer satisfied with the native resolution of 1360x768 and lack of direct DVI ports. So I am losing two inches of display, but gaining more ports and higher resolutions. Fair trade off.

I'll post a great gaming review of the XHD3000 sometime before Christmas.

For fellow owners of the XHD3000, have you ever had the display black out for a second or two? Once in a while the screen will go blank for a second like it is searching for an input then bring the screen back. I am going to start documenting how often it happens to me. I am using a fairly long Dual link DVI cable so I hope that is the problem and not something with the LCD.

For fellow owners of the XHD3000, have you ever had the display black out for a second or two? Once in a while the screen will go blank for a second like it is searching for an input then bring the screen back. I am going to start documenting how often it happens to me. I am using a fairly long Dual link DVI cable so I hope that is the problem and not something with the LCD.

I have owned 2 smaller 20 inch gateway models and this has happened to be on both models. It was so bad on the first that I had to return it to gateway.

I really want a 30 inch screen to replace one of the 20s but none of the ones available satisfy my needs.
Gonna have to wait and see how the Dell model pans out and what other 30 inch offerings with good scaling chips become available.

Vega how long? And what brand of cables?

This may not be your problem but I am replacing all my HDMI to HDMI and HDMI to DVI cables (in prep of getting my Gateway and PS3 working nicely together) and I love the quality of the Blue Jean cables I got. On my entertainment system I have handshaking problems between my 56" Samsung display and my Pioneer receiver and I just ordered new cables for the other pieces to hopefully solve that problem. I don't know if it will fix the problem or not but I was using a DVI to HDMI adapter on the end of a DVI to DVI cable and supposedly that can cause problems.

I happened again while I was listening to music and the sound also cut out when the screen blinked black. I think there is some sort of issue with the input select. I am going to play a few hours of COD4 on the PS3 and see if it happens there or if it's just the DVI input.

Please keep us updated on the black out issue. Hopefully mine won't have the same issue. I'm not ready to pay $1800 on a display that will have a problem like this. I am also a bit nervous about the screw head issue. If I do get one, Gateway better refund me 100% or I'm going to be the disgruntled customer from hell! God help the customer service operator who answers my call.

Vega, how does the monitor look at lower resolutions?

Please keep us updated on the black out issue. Hopefully mine won't have the same issue. I'm not ready to pay $1800 on a display that will have a problem like this. I am also a bit nervous about the screw head issue. If I do get one, Gateway better refund me 100% or I'm going to be the disgruntled customer from hell! God help the customer service operator who answers my call.

Vega, how does the monitor look at lower resolutions?

Calm down homeboy. If you're not satisfied with the monitor due to a defect, you can request a full refund from Gateway - so don't worry.

I just ordered one and should have it by this coming weekend. If there is a defect noted it will be sent back and they keep replacing them until it’s corrected. I don’t believe their should be problems in obtaining a refund for defective merchandise, however if you change your mind for any other reason then I believe a 15% restocking fee may apply. To be on the safe side I purchased a 3-year warrantee!

Good luck with your issues.

Word jigga.

Actually some people have been stuck having to pay a 15% restocking fee.

I just ordered one and should have it by this coming weekend. If there is a defect noted it will be sent back and they keep replacing them until it’s corrected. I don’t believe their should be problems in obtaining a refund for defective merchandise, however if you change your mind for any other reason then I believe a 15% restocking fee may apply. To be on the safe side I purchased a 3-year warrantee!

Good luck with your issues.

As long as they replace it at least, then I don't mind as much. I didn't know about the defective when I ordered, I wish I did get the 3 year warranty. Maybe I can still get it. Keep us posted when your monitor comes. Good luck!

I was researching the monitor a bit and I came up with a question hopefully someone can answer for me.

I have a BFG Tech 8800GTS that only has two Dual Link DVI-I ports. The XHD 3000 has Digital (DVI-D): 24-pin (single-link DVI max 1920 x 1280 and dual-link DVI max 2560 x 1600). Since my video card doesn't have a DVI-D does that mean the highest resolution I can go is 1920x1280?

Edit: Never mind I answered my own question I think. I can support 2560x1600. If anyone just wants to concur.

As long as they replace it at least, then I don't mind as much. I didn't know about the defective when I ordered, I wish I did get the 3 year warranty. Maybe I can still get it. Keep us posted when your monitor comes. Good luck!

At the moment the only way to purchase the extended warranty would be to return the monitor for a refund and re-order with the extra warranty. Currently Gateway doesn't track the displays per serial number so there's no way to add additional warranty after it has been purchased, atleast not yet.

That's the way I did it. And I should be receiving the replacement with the 3-year soon. I can then choose whichever one I like better and return the other. Since the warranty is tied to the order number instead.

At the moment the only way to purchase the extended warranty would be to return the monitor for a refund and re-order with the extra warranty. Currently Gateway doesn't track the displays per serial number so there's no way to add additional warranty after it has been purchased, atleast not yet.

That's the way I did it. And I should be receiving the replacement with the 3-year soon. I can then choose whichever one I like better and return the other. Since the warranty is tied to the order number instead.

Crap. I saw a upgrade warranty option on their website but I guess it doesn't apply to the XHD3000. Maybe I can hassle customer service enough to let me upgrade.

This happens to me as well.

I plan on waiting 6 months and then complaining about it once they get some other bugs fixed as well.... if I can hold out, then I'll wait till next year's model comes out so I don't have to deal with this lag anymore

It seems a few people are having this "black out" issue.
Let me get in touch with Gateway's advanced tech and let them know if the situation.

Will keep you guys posted.

But in the mean time, would appreciate some details regarding it. Like, how often this happens. And if this happens on all the inputs.

Oh boy my Gateway has Shipped!!!

But naturally I have to ask about something, I saw on the Gateway website that EzTune is only for the PC, is this correct?

How can my wife calibrate or use PiP if you can only set it up with a PC?

Any ideas or workarounds?

It seems a few people are having this "black out" issue.
Let me get in touch with Gateway's advanced tech and let them know if the situation.

Will keep you guys posted.

But in the mean time, would appreciate some details regarding it. Like, how often this happens. And if this happens on all the inputs.

Please do. My monitor shipped and should be here Friday. If I get the same issue I will let everyone know and call Gateway. I should also have a review up.

I'd agree with Johnny. It happens about one or two times per night of use for me. For some strange reason it seems to happen more often if I click on a new window or have some sort of on-screen page transition. Then the monitor will black out for about two seconds like it is searching for an input, then the screen will come back on. It's some sort of problem with the input selection part of the screen. I also turned off input auto-detect to see if that helped but it did not. I also play PS3 through HDMI and I has not happened once in that mode. Just using dual-link dvi computer.

I'd agree with Johnny. It happens about one or two times per night of use for me. For some strange reason it seems to happen more often if I click on a new window or have some sort of on-screen page transition. Then the monitor will black out for about two seconds like it is searching for an input, then the screen will come back on. It's some sort of problem with the input selection part of the screen. I also turned off input auto-detect to see if that helped but it did not. I also play PS3 through HDMI and I has not happened once in that mode. Just using dual-link dvi computer.

Are any of the people with the monitor backing out running Vista?? This is a well known Vista issue. I have a MACBook pro running Vista and it does it. Very common Vista problem. If I am actually moving the mouse it quits moving, the screen goes black for a second or so, comes back on and my mouse is where it would have been if the monitor had not glitch'd. I am looking at buying this monitor and am reading this thread carefully.

Les

Oh boy my Gateway has Shipped!!!

But naturally I have to ask about something, I saw on the Gateway website that EzTune is only for the PC, is this correct?

How can my wife calibrate or use PiP if you can only set it up with a PC?

Any ideas or workarounds?

I do not know if EzTune will run on non PC, but you can control the PIP directly from the monitor controls. EzTune just gives you more control over PIP (size, position, etc)

Are any of the people with the monitor backing out running Vista?? This is a well known Vista issue. I have a MACBook pro running Vista and it does it. Very common Vista problem. If I am actually moving the mouse it quits moving, the screen goes black for a second or so, comes back on and my mouse is where it would have been if the monitor had not glitch'd. I am looking at buying this monitor and am reading this thread carefully.

Les

I'm using Vista, but didn't have a problem with my old 20"

I am running Vista and I have never seen this happen. I am using a Dell 2407wfp rev a03. I had an XHD3000 and it had some issues, but no blackouts in a full day of usage.

Dave

I am running Vista and I have never seen this happen. I am using a Dell 2407wfp rev a03. I had an XHD3000 and it had some issues, but no blackouts in a full day of usage.

Dave

Hello,
I'm not saying all Vista installs do this. I have three Vista Machines. A Dell Laptop, A MacBook Pro, and a Home Built. Only the MacBook Pro has this issue that is similar to what is described here. I figureed it was a MAC VGA Driver issue. I looked on the Internet and found this issue was very prevalent, but obviously not 100%. Interesting thing, of all the Vista issues out there, I'm the only reference I've found with the problem on a MACBook Pro. Just thought I would mention it here. I get a Pop up error everytime saying Display quit responding R300 or something like that.

Les

I am also running Vista, although the screen has never blacked out with the 23" Sony the XHD3000 replaced. It appears to only happen to me while using the DVI port. Atleast it appears I am not the only one who has noticed this "issue".

I got mine from Best Buy when they first got them in, so it was one of the early ones. It had two issues that caused me to return it and wait for something else. The worst of the two was the fact that it flickered like a CRT at low refresh. I am pretty sure this was some king of a sync issue, because it would stablize perodically and then reapear. I would have exchanged it for another one except for the second issue, which was the black level. It looked like 50% grey. The problem is that they come set really bright which can be adjusted lower, but the brightness control does not reduce the back-light. I had read this in a review somewhere, but I was surprised how bad it was. I have seen others say that their black levels were good and that is probubly true, but for me there just too many quality control issues with this display at this time, so I am going to wait and see what the new Dell 3008wfp looks like.

If you buy an XHD3000 get it from BustBuy, because you can bring it to a local store and get a full refund on the spot.

Best of luck

Dave

I got mine from Best Buy when they first got them in, so it was one of the early ones. It had two issues that caused me to return it and wait for something else. The worst of the two was the fact that it flickered like a CRT at low refresh. I am pretty sure this was some king of a sync issue, because it would stablize perodically and then reapear. I would have exchanged it for another one except for the second issue, which was the black level. It looked like 50% grey. The problem is that they come set really bright which can be adjusted lower, but the brightness control does not reduce the back-light. I had read this in a review somewhere, but I was surprised how bad it was. I have seen others say that their black levels were good and that is probubly true, but for me there just too many quality control issues with this display at this time, so I am going to wait and see what the new Dell 3008wfp looks like.

If you buy an XHD3000 get it from BustBuy, because you can bring it to a local store and get a full refund on the spot.

Best of luck

Dave

Now, I wish I did get it from a local store. I get mine in the mail today, so wish me luck.

From what I have read in this thread. Gateway has been pretty good about returns or replacements. It just takes longer. Put a lot of time and effort into really testing/evaluating the display early on, so you can make a definite decision ASAP.

I think the XHD3000 will end up being a really good product, because it has a great design. Gateway just needs to lean on their suppliers to do better job of producing it.

Best of luck

Dave

I love my Gateway 24". Hasn't caused me any issues at all...

Sounds awesome...but I'm with stubwub on this one. The gateway 24" looked to be the 24" to slay all the other 24's until it was actually released and people started using them.;)

I ordered my XHD Tuesday of last week and just got it today. It hooked up easily and started without a hitch. I have only gotten to use it for about a half hour, but I am immediately impressed.

The manufacturing date is form November, so I got the new model (thankfully, cause I was very worried). After reading all the pages in this thread and tons of other sources across the web, I decided to buy this monster and it definitely seems, so far, to be a great purchase.

The black levels are awesome. The interface is as cool and intuitive as everyone says.The colors are better than my now secondary monitor (SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22") and the bleeding is alot less.

There is no screw issue, at least none that I have been able to find right out of the box. It also looks amazing on my desk. Crysis is simply stunning, and WoW looks and runs the same regardless of the extra screen space (at least in Orgrimmar).

I will post alot more info, as well as pictures once I have truly broken this bad boy in. So far, I love it.

My system specs:
intel core 2 duo e6600 @ 3.4ghz
Thermaltake CL-P0401 110mm Full-Range Fan CPU Cooler
2x EVGA 8800gts (one of them is the new KO edition)
2gb OCZ DDR 2 1066 pc2 8500
EVGA 680i Mobo
PC Power & cooling Silencer 750 watt PSU
Thermaltake Armor series case (with door fan)
2x WD raptor 75gb in a Raid 0 array
1x WD raptor 150gb
1x WD 320gb SATA
Logitech z5500 5.1 speakers

Awesome man, enjoy the screen and let us know how everything turns out.

Fedex was suppose to deliver mine today, but I think the big snow storm must of delayed them :mad:

Back