Gateway's FPD2185W: a 21in widescreen 2005fpw killer!

OlIv0rIolI said:
I agree, just enjoy the monitor. It is great in every other aspect. btw, I took a look at the vga connection, and the banding for vga is very very minimul. I wonder why vga is better. Anyway, if I want to do photoshop stuff, I will just switch to vga.
Anyone know if its possible to connect both vga and dvi cables to ur monitor at the same time via my 6800gt which has vga and dvi connections and have it work by just switching input on the monitor. I want to do this so it will be easier. right now, when I try to do this, my monitor doesn't work. Maybe I should get a shuttle box for the vga?

As Scunner says, it does work. You have to work with your graphics card driver settings like your working with or enabling dual monitors. You can also swap which monitor is primary or do it in clone mode for ATI cards which I have done. (ATI X800XT-PE in my case) ;)

Edit: VGA has a warmer color to it like a CRT.

I have two moniter (Viewsonic E70FB -VGA) and the gateway with DVI. I'm running 7800GT with latest drivers. I know I saw a setting some where to disable dual moniter mode. Can anyone plz help me find it again?

go to display properties--->settings---->advanced----->Geforce 7800gt tab and look in there for it

Andrmgic said:
Mine was also manufactured in week 43..

Here is my info:

Model ID: GWY0889
Serial #: MRW5A 50N XXXX
part number: 7005483
Batch: E335513

Hey guys, once I read this thread I had to register to post here so I could share what I found.

I too had a week 43 monitor that I purchased from Office Depot 4 days ago. It also had banding issues, the buzzing noise, and frequent “Out of range” error messages.

Yesterday I exchanged it for a week 46 and it does not have the buzzing, banding (as bad) and no out of sync errors.

EDID Rev. 1.3
GWY088A
Ser# T5B50-XXXXX
OSD Menu Ver. 1.1

Hope that helps some of there.

Whomever posted the gray/grey scale picture. What format was it saved in (i.e. bmp, jpg, png)? I have went to several sites with pictures and backgrounds and just don't see an issue with pictures like in the posted picture let along in games.

Just my final attempt to see if I can assist in norrowing this down. I also would like to know what others with different 8bit panels see with this picture Dell 2405, Samsung 204T/244T etc.

How do you decode the numbers to figure out weeks etc? I'm going to be going into Best Buy to pick one up soon and I want to make sure it isn't a week 43.

The guys that posted their batch numbers, and other info, are you from the States???

Because, in Canada, the numbers are totally different.

From the back of my monitor, this is the info I get:

Model: 2100
Product #: FPD2185W-Canada
Product Code: 5604
Mfg Date: Oct 2005
Serial No: MPP5A 50N *****

The OSD menu says that it is version 1.1.

Anyone else in Canada who bought this monitor have similar numbers?

vishank said:
The guys that posted their batch numbers, and other info, are you from the States???

Because, in Canada, the numbers are totally different.

From the back of my monitor, this is the info I get:

Model: 2100
Product #: FPD2185W-Canada
Product Code: 5604
Mfg Date: Oct 2005
Serial No: MPP5A 50N *****

The OSD menu says that it is version 1.1.

Anyone else in Canada who bought this monitor have similar numbers?

In the States, Yup

TempestX said:
Within the page there is a grayscale picture. At the bottom of page there is a link to both a PNG picture and GIF picture. Let me know what you see.
http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/Calibration/monitor_gradient.htm

Obvious banding. The banding is mostly unnoticible in games, unless you're playing something with lots of gradients. The more complex the images the less notice it is.

Where the banding is really aggravating is pictures and such where it can be very painful. You just need to try the monitor out and see if the banding bothers you. I've decided to keep mine because despite the banding, it is fantastic in every other way.

Holy smokes....I have my single GTX hooked up with oth DVI and VGA...switch using NV control panel...yes, the DVI text clarity OWNS....but the VGA color gradients are SMOOTH.....practically ZERO banding.....the difference is literally, night and day....

Now, I don't mind switching it back and forth, but I have to ask...WHY is this occuring? DVI "should" be better in every respect....I could say, maybe, since text under the VGA is less sharp/crisp, that maybe the banding issue appears more pronounced under DVI *because* it is a more correct output of the signal....

Can anyone else comment on VGA vs DVI for this monitor? I was all set for getting a DVI cable to go with this monitor when i get it, but now im unsure....

SystemERRor said:
Can anyone else comment on VGA vs DVI for this monitor? I was all set for getting a DVI cable to go with this monitor when i get it, but now im unsure....

OK, after some dialing in on the VGA, the text is CONSIDERABLY improved, I would say, 95% of the DVI quality....if you have this display too bright, text suffers horribly. My brightness is currently at 50% on VGA, and 45% under the DVI.....contrast about 55 on both sides....color to "user"....

At this point, I can say, the VGA is fine! Maybe a better DVI cable?

OK, pics of this...I learned some settings of speed and f-stop, as well as ISA speed, to allow me to capture a decent pic in a dark room with no flash, but I digress...

Anyway, you will have to be on a CRT, or the VGA of an LCD to discern the differences in the pics, if you are on the DVI connection, both pics appear to be the same banding...you can see, the VGA connection is much, much better at gradients on this Gateway....if I view thiese two pics under the DVI connection, they appear identical....

VGA connection on the Gateway FPD2185

vga.jpg

DVI connection on same display

dvi.jpg

That's a big difference. Something has to be wrong with the DVI for it to look inferior that way.

wonkman said:
That's a big difference. Something has to be wrong with the DVI for it to look inferior that way.

I am wondering if the cheap DVI cable has anything to do with it.....

I really don't want to spend 50 bucks on another DVI cable to find out...but I might have to...after Christmas of course....

And I wonder, is there really any difference between a $12 DVI cable from newegg, and the $50 versions.......

my banding looks worse on dvi also, but I got a high quality gold cable from Radio Shack (was marked 109.99 but was on clearance for ~$13.. so check out your local Radio Shack for a good deal on a single link dvi cable If anyone is looking :) )

I'll stick with the dvi, since it seems to be only the gradient that looks worse.. no difference in games or normal images in terms of banding

TheRapture said:

I really don't want to spend 50 bucks on another DVI cable to find out...but I might have to...after Christmas of course....

And I wonder, is there really any difference between a $12 DVI cable from newegg, and the $50 versions.......

I wouldn't think the cable would make much difference with a digital connection. I was thinking something wrong with the firmware or electronics since everyone seems to be getting similar results.

I too got the Radio Shack deal worth 110 something dollars and still notice the banding. Its not the cables. As one user noted before, something to do with the high quality of DVI versus VGA. Most monitors will have color banding, but to this extent it IS annoying, especially in photoshop.

Would a firmware update be able to fix this or is all lost?

Alex4412 said:
How do you decode the numbers to figure out weeks etc? I'm going to be going into Best Buy to pick one up soon and I want to make sure it isn't a week 43.

The manufacture week is displayed in Powerstrip. I haven't found any numbers on the box which relate to the manufacturing date.

As long as the DVI cable is less than 15 feet, quality (and price) isn't a factor. Once the cable length exceeds 15 feet, then signal degredation is likely with lower quality cables.

I'm beginning to think that the DVI receiver, or the decoding software on the monitor is the problem here. The panel is quite capable of displaying band-free gradients over VGA, as a few of us have discovered. The transmitter on the graphics card isn't the issue, because we're seeing the same results with NVIDIA and ATi chipsets.

Interestingly enough, my OSD version is 1.0, and has been on the other two I had.

Could the color banding have anything to do with the refresh rate. I have very slight color banding in those links. I have a very high quality dvi cable, in fact the cable supports dual link though this monitor doesn't really need DL. I forced my refresh rate to 75hz by adding a custom resolution in the nvidia display properties @ 1680x1050 @ 75 hz. Hit apply. then I unchecked hide modes that this monitor cannot display and it was there. I chose it and have noticed a considerable difference in image quality and the way my mouse behaved in games and on the desktop. Could this be why it looks better on VGA (75hz) than on standard DVI (60hz), Can someone try this to see if forcing 75hz helps as well. It would seem that it has for me. Back at 60 hz and a bit more banding, can't stand it, and how my mouse behaves, i'm going back to 75 hz.. :D

I'll have to check, but I'm pretty sure this monitor supports higher refresh rates on DVI than what is selectable in the Nvidia driver as well....

Yes, I was right.
Pixel Resolution 1680 x 1050 (native) (75 Hz)

According to http://accessories.gateway.com/Acce...LCD_381955/1534243_proddetail.htm!!!!!!!merch

I remember setting it to this when I had the monitor and there was a significant image quality increase. But you have to set a custom resolution because you can't select it by default.

Nice work! I forced 75 as well and it does indeed improve the banding under DVI.....very nice!

I went to DVI, set to 75 "refresh", recalibrated the display from scratch, and I now have a very nice gradient quality....I am using an OEM DVI-D cable, it came off some Dell computer at a local shop....

If the others would try this under DVI and see if they get the same improvement....

I had nearly no banding under vga at 60hz after tweaking gamma, etc. I'll try 75 hz under dvi later this afternoon and see if it helps.

My text looks a little off at 75hz on vga, though.. so I think I'll change it back for now

Specs on this display, note the stated refresh at native res....as the other poster noted....it's 75hz, not 60hz max as windows thinks it is...I have been playing with this display all day long using DVI and a forced 75hz refresh. Games are smoother....mouse responds better....gradient transitions are great!

Specifications
Aspect Ratio 16:10
Brightness 300 cd/m2
Colors 16.7 million
Connections and Inputs • Analog (VGA): 15-pin mini d-sub VGA
• Digital (DVI-D): 24-pin DVD-D (supports 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i). Includes HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection)
• Composite video
• S-Video
• Component Y Pb Pr (supports 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i)
• AC power input
• USB 2.0 B-type (PC input)
• USB 2.0 A-type (PC input)
Contrast Ratio 1000:1
Dimensions (WxHxD) 19.45" x 15.35" x 8.2"
Frequency Horizontal: 31-81 KHzVertical: 56-76 Hz
Lamp Type/Life 50,000 hours
Model Number FPD2185W
OSD Languages English, French, Spanish, Italian, Japanese
Panel Size 21-inch diagonal
Panel Type 21-inch viewable
TFT active matrix
S-PVA
Anti-glare coating
Pixel Pitch 0.0106 x 0.0106 inches (0.270 mm x 0.270 mm)
Pixel Resolution 1680 x 1050 (native) (75 Hz)
Response Time 8 ms (gray to gray)
Viewing Angles 178° horizontal, 178° vertical
Weight 18.74 lbs. (includes height-adjustable stand)

Image looks the same to me with 60 or 75. I have actually pointed someone at Gateway to this thread and to see if they can resolve or fix the issue. Here's hoping. ;)

I don't see how changing the refresh from 60Hz to 75Hz could make any difference in image quality or...mouse response...

SystemERRor said:
I don't see how changing the refresh from 60Hz to 75Hz could make any difference in image quality or...mouse response...

The banding/gradient DOES change with the refresh change provided:

1) you are using a DVI cable
2) you force the 75hz refresh in your vid card control panel software
3) the improved mouse response is noticeable in games. Nothing huge, but noticeable....

Did you even look at the pics I took? One of the DVI pic at 60hz refresh, and te other at 75hz refresh?

TheRapture said:
The banding/gradient DOES change with the refresh change provided:

1) you are using a DVI cable
2) you force the 75hz refresh in your vid card control panel software
3) the improved mouse response is noticeable in games. Nothing huge, but noticeable....

Did you even look at the pics I took? One of the DVI pic at 60hz refresh, and te other at 75hz refresh?

The Rapture, FYI! I don't see any pictures you posted on DVI 60 vs 75hz. Previous page was VGA vs DVI. ;)

TempestX said:
The Rapture, FYI! I don't see any pictures you posted on DVI 60 vs 75hz. Previous page was VGA vs DVI. ;)

Just noticed that
:p

Gimme a few, I am taking fresh ones....

Dammit...my site is being ghey right now, can't upload....so I upped it to a free host....hit the link to see the pic of the DVI running at 75hz, compared to the same setup running at 60hz...notice the difference?

dvi @75hz
http://img481.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dvi754yd.jpg

dvi@60hz
http://members.cox.net/raptur/pics/dvi.jpg

TempestX said:
Image looks the same to me with 60 or 75. I have actually pointed someone at Gateway to this thread and to see if they can resolve or fix the issue. Here's hoping. ;)

You are using the same display? Or you mean the images here posted look the same...? I assume you have the display, and that yours has the banding at either refresh rate using a dvi cable....did you reboot after changing everything *just for grins* ?

Andrmgic said:
Thanks for the new pics, it does look like an improvement :)

It is even better in real life. The difference between running under DVI at 60hz, and forcing it to it's spec of 75hz, is quite noticeable.

Remember peoples, we are not "forcing" the display to run at 75hz, it is actually SPEC for the native res of 1680x1050....for some reason, windows does not properly identify the spec or the display is not reporting properly to windows...

If you have this display, using a DVI connection, I highly recommend you do this....I was almost ready to take this one back and get another in the hopes of getting a better gradient response, before we all worked this out...

And those of you that still have that bad banding at 75hz with DVI, maybe you should get another one....

Just bought this monitor today at BB, love it so far. Have read through most of this thread and have changed the refresh rate as recommended. The only issue I have and I'm not sure if it's because of something I did or if I may have a defective unit, is whenever I try and use the USB port on the monitor with my flash drive, I get a 'USB hub has exceeded it's power' error. Anyone else having this issue?

TheRapture said:

Can you post your image at 1680 x 1050 (JPG or GIF) for others to experiment with? I haven't seen this issue under DVI or VGA.

Tim-in-CA

Tim-in-CA said:
Can you post your image at 1680 x 1050 (JPG or GIF) for others to experiment with? I haven't seen this issue under DVI or VGA.

Tim-in-CA

Do you have photoshop? Just make a gradient.....takes about 5 seconds to do....if you have banding issues, that will show it....

Did some gradient tests...

Linear Gradient:
horizontal: very little noticeable banding. 50% brightness
Vertical: more banding..
angled: same as vertical... :(

Sunburst Gradient:
About the same as linear horizontal

Radial Gradient:
This is the one to use if you want to see whats happening. Waiting for camera batteries to charge.... banding is noticeable on angles but not so much on horizontal plane..

banding is not noticeable when gaming, on these forums, or anywhere else i've seen so far for that matter.. just with gradients. Weird.

50% brightness 50% contrast for me, no gamma.

.... these gradient tests should become something to do in all LCD reviews.

EDIT

Specs:
FPD2185w @ 1680x1050 DVI-D, 60hz (cant set to 75hz for some reason) on a 9700Pro

I feel kinda sorry for those who returned their monitor because of color banding problems, just shows that patience is the key especially with new products

Back