Good 120mm Fans.

dtess17 said:
I'm sure alot of the fans listed also have an 80mm version.

Also i'm a huge fan of the silverstone fans, i don't have the model number... but it's a 92mm fan that is in the frame of an 80mm. Which is nice.

I check it out, and it looks pretty damn cool, but I need somethin in a square box :p
Tis 5 mins after I posted that I found these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811998401
Those pretty silver controller knobs will work perfect in my htpc...all 7 up front :p

the silverstone fan should fit any 80mm mount...
but those scythe fan is nice too

nexus also has a nice 80mm

dtess17 said:
First post....sometimes worth a read

Some general guidelines.

dBA must be 28 or lower. Mid to low 20's are prefered.
cfm must be no lower than 40. I would like to see numbers 50 and above.
no bullshit numbers e.g SilentX or TT
please list numbers with posts.
I am rounding numbers to whole numbers e.g 26.8 will be listed as 27

I figured the 90cfm would make up for the whopping 4db difference. Excuse me.

AtomicFire said:
:p I remember when I got some thermaltake thunderblades thinking "wow, 28db and 80CFM. awesome!"

boy was I in for a surprise. 40db+. My ears are NOT happy. thank God for leftover Zalman Fanmate+'s

This happened to me too.... Jeeeeeeeeezzzuus it was loud.

is it a bad sign when you actually contemplate buying an assortment of $10-$20 fans (each) just to find the optimum one to use? :eek:

I'd have to recomend a Vantec Tornado.

After using it for a few weeks you will lose your hearing at which point it will be quiet!

But seriously, some of the quieter fans don't work well on heatsinks or radiators because they don't produce enough pressure, while they may work fine for case ventalation their CFM ratings may drop dramaticaly when pushed against a HS or Radiator. Also a HS or Rad, may also cause more or less fan noise, usualy more...

Right now my favorite fans are my Panaflo L1A's I just got them. They don't look like much, but they are quiet! They might not be within your specs but they seem to have good pressure, and airflow even at less than 12V.

For me, a good fan is one that puts out good pressure, and good airflow, at whatever voltage it takes to make it quiet. I don't care if a fan is rated for 50DB if it's putting out good airflow and is less than 28DB at 7 volts...

xtasyindecay said:
I figured the 90cfm would make up for the whopping 4db difference. Excuse me.

4 dba is in terms of numbers small, but in audible sound a lot, i'd say close to 1.5 - 2 times as loud. Where most of the fans listed are in the 25 and lower for dba, then the turbine fan is much much louder.

Wasn't a personal attack, just making the guidelines clear.

This thread is made for quiet fans. Not fans that have super high cfms.
The intended purpose is for the people looking to build a near silent computer. I know alot of people that just do not want to deal with the noise myself included.

MrDisco said:
is it a bad sign when you actually contemplate buying an assortment of $10-$20 fans (each) just to find the optimum one to use? :eek:

Well first off, i have two builds i need to finish off for some friends, and they asked for a quiet computer. I also have my new computer that needs it's final touches and it needs to be dead silent

But i am not buying fans and testing them just to put them in my rig and send the rest back, all are being used somewhere, and i feel as though the information i collect will be useful to the [H] community. I know i would have loved to have info like this all in one place a year or so ago when i first got into the whole quiet computing thing.

The Thermaltake Thunderblade 120mm fans are excellent.
The dBa figures TT gives for them are complete BULLSHIT though. (but everyone knows that)
They are extremely quiet, and move a good enough amount of air when run off 5v.
At 12v they move a huge amount of air, and aren't horribly annoying, but there is a large amount of turbulence noise, which I wouldn't put up with for more than a few minutes.

They are the only other 120mm fan I use besides the Nexus.

dtess17 said:
4 dba is in terms of numbers small, but in audible sound a lot, i'd say close to 1.5 - 2 times as loud. Where most of the fans listed are in the 25 and lower for dba, then the turbine fan is much much louder.

That's wrong.

+10 dB is a doubling in noise volume.

a 40dB fan is twice as loud as a 30dB fan, and a 30dB fan is twice as loud as a 20dB fan. etc.

mr-busta said:
IMO, Panaflo Mediums don't belong in the quiet category, only the Panaflo Lows. I just picked up a couple of the Mediums from svc.com (for $5!), and man.... they have some annoying motor noise at anything but 5V. Nice air flow, but the noise was not what I expected. The stock blue LED fan in my Qpack was more bearable.

Agree completely.
Panaflow medium fans should never be in a quiet fans thread. They have terrible motor noise.

dtess17 said:
Well first off, i have two builds i need to finish off for some friends, and they asked for a quiet computer. I also have my new computer that needs it's final touches and it needs to be dead silent

no man you misread my post. i was poking fun at myself for actually thinking about buying a whole bunch of fans just to figure out which ones would work the best.

i for one love threads like these because sometimes its so hard to get useful data (i.e no marketing hype) on computer parts.

v3rt1g0 said:
That's wrong.

+10 dB is a doubling in noise volume.

a 40dB fan is twice as loud as a 30dB fan, and a 30dB fan is twice as loud as a 20dB fan. etc.

for some reason i thought it was 5, but thanks for the correction. Either way 34 is too loud for the purpose of this thread

MrDisco said:
no man you misread my post. i was poking fun at myself for actually thinking about buying a whole bunch of fans just to figure out which ones would work the best.

i for one love threads like these because sometimes its so hard to get useful data (i.e no marketing hype) on computer parts.

ah, ok then...well now you don't have too, i'm doing it for you!

updated general guidlines.
updated fan list.

i am considering removing the antec tri cool fan. Although i love the fan, at 12v or high on the setting it hits 30dba. even though low and medium it is within range.

what do you guys think should be done with this fan.

also considering removing the Nexus Real Silent for not meeting cfm requirements
where as many other fans have been able to stay within guidelines.

should i begin ranking the fans in some way?

Just wondering what other people would like to see happen...i would love for this thread to be as useful as korruptions air cooling thread.

I wouldn't remove fans altogether. Just put a (1) next to the fan and explain in a footer.

perhaps the nexus should stay as spcr seems to always recommend it and it seems to always be mentioned when ppl ask which fan to use for heatshinks.

v3rt1g0 said:
Agree completely.
Panaflow medium fans should never be in a quiet fans thread. They have terrible motor noise.

I agree too. I have 80mm and 92mm Med Panaflos and they're great fans but don't belong in a silent rig.

S-FLEX™ is SONY corp patented bearing technology.
120mm Fan with 150,000 hrs long life

Model # Dimensions Fan Speed Fan Noise Air Flow Rated Current Sku#

SFF21D 120x120x25mm 800rpm 8.7dBA 33.5CFM 0.10A 840556025443

SFF21E 120x120x25mm 1,200rpm 20.1dBA 49.0CFM 0.15A 840556025450

SFF21F 120x120x25mm 1,600rpm 28.0dBA 63.7CFM 0.20A 840556025467

ENERMAX
Model# UC-12AEBS
Bearing Type Ball
Noise Level (dBA) 16 - 37
Speed Range (RPM) 1000 - 2400
Airflow (CFM) 26.9 - 83.4
Size (120 x 120 x 25 mm

I have the black 120mm Silverstones and they are decent but I want more air pushed. They don't really seem to puxh a lot of air. I compared them to 80mm AC, the thick ones, and they pushed a tad more air than the 120!!!

dtess17 said:
updated general guidlines.
updated fan list.

i am considering removing the antec tri cool fan. Although i love the fan, at 12v or high on the setting it hits 30dba. even though low and medium it is within range.

what do you guys think should be done with this fan.

also considering removing the Nexus Real Silent for not meeting cfm requirements
where as many other fans have been able to stay within guidelines.

should i begin ranking the fans in some way?

Just wondering what other people would like to see happen...i would love for this thread to be as useful as korruptions air cooling thread.

I would say either categorize them by CFM or by dba. This way whomever looks at this will be able to look for a specific dba/cfm range and find those that apply. Maybe do it so that we have a category for <20cfm, 21-25cfm, and >25cfm. This way you can pick that specific range

Anyone know a good site to find a 7 fan controller at. Newegg is a bitch to find them at.

MC FLMJIG said:
S-FLEX™ is SONY corp patented bearing technology.
120mm Fan with 150,000 hrs long life

Model # Dimensions Fan Speed Fan Noise Air Flow Rated Current Sku#

SFF21D 120x120x25mm 800rpm 8.7dBA 33.5CFM 0.10A 840556025443

SFF21E 120x120x25mm 1,200rpm 20.1dBA 49.0CFM 0.15A 840556025450

SFF21F 120x120x25mm 1,600rpm 28.0dBA 63.7CFM 0.20A 840556025467

ENERMAX
Model# UC-12AEBS
Bearing Type Ball
Noise Level (dBA) 16 - 37
Speed Range (RPM) 1000 - 2400
Airflow (CFM) 26.9 - 83.4
Size (120 x 120 x 25 mm

I have the black 120mm Silverstones and they are decent but I want more air pushed. They don't really seem to puxh a lot of air. I compared them to 80mm AC, the thick ones, and they pushed a tad more air than the 120!!!

Ah yes the S-Flex looks to be awesome. Thanks for posting info on all the models.

As for the silverstone, it pushes a fair amount of air, It might seem that the 80mm fan pushed more because the air is moving from a smaller surface area, and thus is more concentrated.

It seems that @ 12v that enermax fan won;'t make the cut.

v3rt1g0 said:
I wouldn't remove fans altogether. Just put a (1) next to the fan and explain in a footer.

i might do something like this then, i like the idea. Maybe something like an honorable mention area.

gregnash said:
I would say either categorize them by CFM or by dba. This way whomever looks at this will be able to look for a specific dba/cfm range and find those that apply. Maybe do it so that we have a category for <20cfm, 21-25cfm, and >25cfm. This way you can pick that specific range

Anyone know a good site to find a 7 fan controller at. Newegg is a bitch to find them at.

Not a bad idea. I'll think about it.

I got the scythe fan in!
I powered up, and it is very very quiet, and the airflow is pretty nice.

I will test it against the cooler master led the tri cool and anything i can get my hands on.

Updates soon.

dtess17 said:
Ah yes the S-Flex looks to be awesome. Thanks for posting info on all the models.

I just picked up 2 of the 1600rpm S-Flexes, they are really quiet in comparison to my panaflos. I'm still struggling with a fan controller issue on the panaflos, but the panaflos push a lot more air (I can definitely FEEL the panaflos especially at +MAX, the s-flex much less so). I don't have a lot of experience besides the panaflos and the s-flex 120mm's, so thats really all I can say about them sadly.

hokatichenci said:
I just picked up 2 of the 1600rpm S-Flexes, they are really quiet in comparison to my panaflos. I'm still struggling with a fan controller issue on the panaflos, but the panaflos push a lot more air (I can definitely FEEL the panaflos especially at +MAX, the s-flex much less so). I don't have a lot of experience besides the panaflos and the s-flex 120mm's, so thats really all I can say about them sadly.

do you know what the rated specs for your panaflos are? (to give some idea how they compare to the rated specs of the s-flex)

man.... ive been trying to find those fans in the US for like 6 months. they were supposed to be released in the states a while back, but i guess they didnt go through with it. a few months ago Coolink (company also from Europe) bought the rights to produce the Noiseblocker style fans, except they changed the clear blue fan blades to clear green :mad: . now its a waiting game....

since i cant get those sexy clear/clear blue original noise blockers, i just gave in and bought 80mm Nexus Real Silent and 120mm Yate Loon D12SL-12.

you shouldnt trust manufacturers specifications. read the in depth reviews on silentpcreview and youll see what i mean. those new S-Flex fans are making outrages claims. ill be waiting for a proper review from silentpcreview :cool:

MC FLMJIG said:
Noiseblocker SX2 Ultra Silent Fan Series
120x120x25mm

Noiseblocker fans are the quietest fans per unit of airflow on the market.
They use double ball bearings and are guaranteed for three years.

Voltage (v):12
Power Usage(Watt):1.95
Speed(rpm):1500
Airflow(cfm):64
Voltage Range(v):5-13
Noise Level (dba):26

+

http://www.xtremeresources.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=101

Its the M one I think? Supposed to be like 36dB 80cfm, the S-Flex is 28dB 50-60cfm? The panaflos at minimum make a bit more noise still than the S-Flex but push a bit more air. I'll try and come up with a more scientific way of measuring that soon.

I'd say that the S-Flex fans numbers are damn close. I don't have anything to measure the dba or cfm. But i used other fans that have been tested, and the seem to be within those levels.

The E model (20dba/40cfm) that i bought is more quiet than the tri cool on low or even the cooler master led fan. I'd say air flow is close to a tri cool on med. Which should be around 50-55cfm.

I will say that i love this fan. It is the quietest fan i have. I would buy more. Other than the movement of air i can not hear ANY motor noise on this fan.

I put it in my old 3700bqe and could not hear it. I really feel this series is great for those seeking quiet cooling.

Also while i am giving my quick update i also tested out the cooler master led fans today
Although not as quiet as the S-Flex they are damn quiet. LED's are very bright, and the airflow is nice.

I would say both fans are great.

I'd say that the S-Flex fans numbers are damn close. I don't have anything to measure the dba or cfm. But i used other fans that have been tested, and the seem to be within those levels.

The E model (20dba/40cfm) that i bought is more quiet than the tri cool on low or even the cooler master led fan. I'd say air flow is close to a tri cool on med. Which should be around 50-55cfm.

Hmm you have me interested in the Sfles' now.

Thanks for comparing them. That gives a better idea of what to buy. Ever try the Silverstones?

I'm really not that happ with the flow... :(

Was thinking loons because they're so cheap but the CFM#s are low.

Also while i am giving my quick update i also tested out the cooler master led fans today
Although not as quiet as the S-Flex they are damn quiet. LED's are very bright, and the airflow is nice.

Did the coolermaster push air like the SFlex?

I wanted to thank y'all for this thread...
My darn power supply is not even two months old and I've detected a rattle from the 120mm fan already. They just had to cut corners with a sleeved unit. So time for replacement already, sigh.

Can anyone tell by just this image if it looks like a standard 25mm depth?

Most of you don't seem to be mentioning ball-bearings in the specs so I am assuming for them to be so quiet they basically have to be ball-bearing...

MC FLMJIG said:
Hmm you have me interested in the Sfles' now.

Thanks for comparing them. That gives a better idea of what to buy. Ever try the Silverstones?

I'm really not that happ with the flow... :(

Was thinking loons because they're so cheap but the CFM#s are low.

Did the coolermaster push air like the SFlex?

I have used the Silverstone fans before and i liked them. The 9 blade one, and although quiet it does not compare with either the cooler master or the S-Flex. It is a good fan, and it rather inexpensive, but i feel the Cooler master fans are a better value if you don't mind the LED's. They seem to be quieter and push more air.

The Cooler master pushed less air than the S-Flex but i wouldn't say it's a night and day difference, but it is less. Also i did notice a SLIGHT ticking on one of the Cooler Master fans.

Also i had the chance to borrow my friends Nexus to add into the mix. By far the S-Flex pushes more air, and i think that it is quieter.

I am not one to just build hype over a new product. II like to test things out, and see what others have to say but this S-Flex fan is simply awesome. It is dead silent, and is pushing awesome amounts of air for the level of noise that it is not producing. I think this is a real winner!

MrDisco said:
i thought the SilenX fans have been universally denounced for thier outrageous and unproven specs?

they have...and i also mention them in the general guidelines

"no bullshit numbers e.g SilentX or Thermaltake. Don't even bother suggesting them."

they are just that, bullshit numbers.

Manufacturer specs for dba/cfm are pretty much worthless 'cept for comparing two fans from the same manufacturer. There's no standard for measuring either and plenty of brands have specs that are substantially fudged. The SPCR boards have an incredible amount of info on most of the fans mentioned here though.

All you've gotta do is search and you'll find which models handle undervolting best or how they compare to each other. The Nexus seem to be everyone's favorite there, they're re-branded YLs with better quality control and lower stock RPM (not that YLs aren't pretty good overall).. YLs are cheaper, CM LEDs aren't bad if you want something fancier (or simply clear).

Akasa Amber series fans have gotten some positive reviews, and so has the Global Win ceramic bearing 120mm model. The quality on Panaflos seems to be varying a ton as of late and the 120mm's were never really quiet, Papsts haven't gotten any easier to find, Vantec and SilentX are some of the more notorious spec padders.

That's what I've gathered from reading the SPCR boards lately. The 120mm clear/LED Antecs that came with my Lanboy are quiet enough for me, they spin at about 1200 RPM I believe and the only audible noise at about 2 feet is a very very soft wind woosh. I could undervolt them or get something slightly quieter like Nexus but I'm pretty happy with this.

I just bought a 92mm Akasa Amber that's a bit slower than my Panaflo 92mm L1A recently though, gonna play with both on the XP-90 and see what kinda difference I see... Bought it mostly for looks, I figure the clear fan will look better on top of it than the Panaflo, heh. The only motor noise I've managed to hear on any of these fans is actually on my PSU's rear fan and only if I stick my ear right up to it.

P.S. I think the quality of the Antec TriCools varies a lot. I was checking them out at CompUSA and some seemed really loose, the design is the same as my clear Antec case fans but most of these definitely wiggled way more than normal, maybe they're not being properly packaged. It's possible those installed on cases arrive in better condition.

Summary: I'd remove the Vantecs from the list and add the Akasa Amber (Sidewinder has the specs) and GW ceramic-bearing (Coolerguys has 'em) to the list. You might wanna include the model numbers for the Nexus/YL/CM ones too as it's usually easier to search for that elsewhere (the UV reactive CM ones have the same characteristics as the LED ones too, they're also clear but cheaper usually).

The SPCR boards really have a wealth of info on any of these though, if you need to know whether the flanges are open, types of bearing, etc.

Oh and whether any of these fans has the appropiate pressure to cool a rad or not will depend on the fin spacing as much as the fan itself. Obviously some will do better than others regardless but almost always at the cost of noise.

Back