Good 120mm Fans.

I somewhat agree that undervolting fans can be a good option, because it lets you really run up the cfm's if needed. But with a well thought out solution, that noise much or cfms should ever be needed.
I would rather just do a little homework, and have a very quiet to nearly silient PC.
Mine does not rest on a piece of wood, and is about 8" away from my head when i sleep, so to me quiet is awesome.

dtess17 said:
I somewhat agree that undervolting fans can be a good option, because it lets you really run up the cfm's if needed. But with a well thought out solution, that noise nor cfms should ever be needed.
I would rather just do a little homework, and have a very quiet to nearly silient PC.
Mine does not rest on a piece of wood, and is about 8" away from my head when i sleep, so to me quiet is awesome.

I see what you mean. When it comes down to it, its pretty hard to describe the sounds coming from these fans. The best thing to do is to get different views on the same fan and extrapolate from there. For example, some people say that the Loons are really quiet, while I say they make noticeable noise. Perhaps my ears are more sesitive to noise, or that I'm more picky about sounds, but if you hear me saying something's quiet, it's pretty quiet!

How many fans do you plan on putting in?

Well this is just kind of a list of really good quiet fans. I have seen bits and pieces all over the forum i was just trying to get it all in once place.

But when i get around to buying my new system, i will use 5-6 120mm fans for the P180
unless i decide on a different case...then who knows.

IMO, Panaflo Mediums don't belong in the quiet category, only the Panaflo Lows. I just picked up a couple of the Mediums from svc.com (for $5!), and man.... they have some annoying motor noise at anything but 5V. Nice air flow, but the noise was not what I expected. The stock blue LED fan in my Qpack was more bearable.

just a heads up, the Tricool fans are crap... there cheaply made, louder tha nexpected for the "rated" noise level, and the little switch to lower the fan speed is a joke. It realy touchie and even when in the high setting it may not be getting full 12v...

Thanks for the input.
I have yet to have any problems, and i've used em in a few builds.
I kinda like the three speed switch, it makes keeping things cool and quiet easy.

Although i am looking forward to getting the new Scythe fan. I ordered a few yesterday, If their specs are on...then i have found my new fav. fan company. I will be putting them head to head with the Coolermaster led fans, Antec TriCools, and maybe i'll pick up a stealth or something too.

I(illa Bee said:
just a heads up, the Tricool fans are crap... there cheaply made, louder tha nexpected for the "rated" noise level, and the little switch to lower the fan speed is a joke. It realy touchie and even when in the high setting it may not be getting full 12v...
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article210-page4.html

SPCR likes the TriCools, and I do too. I keep them on low pretty much all the time, and they do sound very smooth.

Do you plan on just running these straight from power or do you plan on having a fan controller in the mix there. Also another good selection that I remembered was the Vantect ThermoCool. I dont remember if they make a 120mm version but something to definitely think about with a fan controller (damn work computer and its old ass version of Flash) unfortunately my work computer wont load their website (www.vantecusa.com)

gregnash said:
Do you plan on just running these straight from power or do you plan on having a fan controller in the mix there. Also another good selection that I remembered was the Vantect ThermoCool. I dont remember if they make a 120mm version but something to definitely think about with a fan controller (damn work computer and its old ass version of Flash) unfortunately my work computer wont load their website (www.vantecusa.com)

No fan controllers. Must be straight from either MB or PS.
Also alot of people seem to misunderstand this thread or don't bother to read it. I am NOT putting all of these fans in my computer. This is a unofficial guide to some nice low noise high performance fans.

xtasyindecay said:
The Aerocool Xtreme Turbine 120mm runs at 1800 rpms, 32db... BUT with 90cfm.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835129246

First post....sometimes worth a read

Some general guidelines.

dBA must be 28 or lower. Mid to low 20's are prefered.
cfm must be no lower than 40. I would like to see numbers 50 and above.
no bullshit numbers e.g SilentX or TT
please list numbers with posts.
I am rounding numbers to whole numbers e.g 26.8 will be listed as 27

I guess this is sort of a question because I just got the fan and havnt installed it. It's a Silverstone fm121 (using for my cpu, heard they were good fans). Unfortunately I dont know the cfm at 28 dba, but I would be curious. I am assuming it would be good. This thing is supposed to push 110cfm at 2400rpm. This is 39 dba obviously way loud, but the cool thing is it has a knob you can install to a drive bay to turn the fan down to whatever you want. Lowest is 800rpm 17 dba. Seems like a good fan, just dont know the cfm at lower rpms.

adrift02 said:
I guess this is sort of a question because I just got the fan and havnt installed it. It's a Silverstone fm121 (using for my cpu, heard they were good fans). Unfortunately I dont know the cfm at 28 dba, but I would be curious. I am assuming it would be good. This thing is supposed to push 110cfm at 2400rpm. This is 39 dba obviously way loud, but the cool thing is it has a knob you can install to a drive bay to turn the fan down to whatever you want. Lowest is 800rpm 17 dba. Seems like a good fan, just dont know the cfm at lower rpms.

I am interested in what results you get. I haven't used that one yet, but it looks cool.
Once you get it in, post back with how it runs for ya.

I ran two Mechatronics 120mm fans on a heater core mounted outside my window in 20F weather for 6 months. Part of my gone but not forgotten Socket A H2O rig.

dtess17 said:
although i have never heard of them before the numbers seem to work. I'll add it in.
anyone else ever use or even hear of them before?
I replaced the Antec Tri-Cools in my P180 with the Mechatronics, and they blow a lot more at the same noise level as the low setting on the Tri-Cools, which according to the P180 manual run 39 CFM at 25 dba, compared to 55/25.

In my opinion best 120mm fan I've used is the Antec TriCool 120mm DBB version. Although I wish the high setting would be a little higher.

Brad1011a said:
I replaced the Antec Tri-Cools in my P180 with the Mechatronics, and they blow a lot more at the same noise level as the low setting on the Tri-Cools, which according to the P180 manual run 39 CFM at 25 dba, compared to 55/25.

Sounds good. Learn something new everyday.
I'll have to keep them in mind for some future builds. The price is very nice on them also.
As i posted before i am really excited about the Scythe fans i got coming. If everything is going according to spec, then they will be my new fan of choice. I think it's the E verison i got coming to me with the 20dba.

There is also another model that claims like 9dba, but pushes only like 33cfms i like a bit more than that...but it will be a good rival for the Nexus fans out there.
Hell if i needed a dead silent rig i'd have to look into one of them.

They should be at my house friday or so. Need time to set some stuff up and i'll post back with my results.

:p I remember when I got some thermaltake thunderblades thinking "wow, 28db and 80CFM. awesome!"

boy was I in for a surprise. 40db+. My ears are NOT happy. thank God for leftover Zalman Fanmate+'s

If it hasn't been posted yet: http://www.jab-tech.com/YATE-LOON-120mm-Case-Fan-D12SL-12-pr-3009.html

Yate Loon
Specifications:

Model: D12SL-12
Dimensions:120x120x25mm
Rated Voltage: 12 Volts
Operation Voltage: 6.5~13.8 Volts
Input current: 0.30 Amp Max
Operation temperature: -10 to +65 C
Storage temperature: -40 to +70 C
RPM: 1350 +/- 10%
CFM: 47
dB: 28

I've got a few on their way so I'll see how quiet they are but if memory serves me right these are the same fans that Nexus use to rebadge and Seasonic use to have in their S12 line or PSUs (they moved over to ADDA fans).

AtomicFire said:
:p I remember when I got some thermaltake thunderblades thinking "wow, 28db and 80CFM. awesome!"

boy was I in for a surprise. 40db+. My ears are NOT happy. thank God for leftover Zalman Fanmate+'s

i almost bought them last year, but my buddy beat me to it. Wow, that was just horrid.
So friggin loud.

CrimandEvil said:
If it hasn't been posted yet: http://www.jab-tech.com/YATE-LOON-120mm-Case-Fan-D12SL-12-pr-3009.html

Yate Loon
Specifications:

Model: D12SL-12
Dimensions:120x120x25mm
Rated Voltage: 12 Volts
Operation Voltage: 6.5~13.8 Volts
Input current: 0.30 Amp Max
Operation temperature: -10 to +65 C
Storage temperature: -40 to +70 C
RPM: 1350 +/- 10%
CFM: 47
dB: 28

I've got a few on their way so I'll see how quiet they are but if memory serves me right these are the same fans that Nexus use to rebadge and Seasonic use to have in their S12 line or PSUs (they moved over to ADDA fans).

Yeah we already got those on the list.
Those are some nice fans, they are not dead silent, but they are far from loud. I've used them before, and i've been pretty happy.

any possibility we can add the type of bearing these fans use - i.e. sleeve bearing, etc.

i've read that sleeve beraing isn't ideal for high heat applications (i.e. cpu heatsinks). true?

I have the coolermaster 120mm w/LED and to me it is pretty quiet. I have no way to confirm the CFM rating however.

The scythe fan is the sony designed S-Flex fan. Please post comments on this fan and it appears to be the best (hopefully w/o the made-up numbers like SilenX)

I will try and add the bearing info to the fans at some point. I really don't know if the bearing type makes a difference if you use it on a heatsink or not. I'll have to find out.

I am really looking forward to the S-Flex tech. So far i've only seen Scythe use it. I wonder if they will be the only ones to use it?

As i said i have some on the way, and as soon as i test em out. I will let everyone know!

Sweet, I think I'll wait to hear some feedback on them before I order a few. :)

MrDisco said:
any possibility we can add the type of bearing these fans use - i.e. sleeve bearing, etc.

i've read that sleeve beraing isn't ideal for high heat applications (i.e. cpu heatsinks). true?
I've been tending toward ball bearings after reading about the lack of longevity of sleeves as they start whining sooner. I had a Panaflo 120x38 fan that started groaning, but I'm not sure of its bearing type. The Mechatronics are a dual-ball, brushless, industrial design and aren't available in retail packaging, which keeps their cost down.

From my understanding Sleeve bearings are nice for low noise application but they don't last long and when they start going bad they start making all sorts of whinning noise.

Ball bearings, while being alittle louder, have a longer shelf life.

Little update on that fm121 I got. This baby rox. I got my comp overclocked + have heatsink issues (si120 shouldnt suck this bad) but regardless this is what it did for me. at my 600mhz overclock (got a 3200+ venice) w/ 1.6v I was hitting 59-60 with my yate loon 120 (good quite fans, not enough cfm for me). Anyways I put this fan in at max speed (110cfm noticible hum but i dont care) and after priming for 8 hours I stayed at 54, hit 55 occasionally for a second. Now thats performance. But in relation to this chart, I turned this fan down to the speed of my yate loon (1300 rpms correct?) and its just as quite, the hum doesnt start to creep up until 1300+. I cant hear it (got case fans though, if ur fanless u might hear it, but I cant tell) plus, I am priming and still holding at 54-55 at this speed. After turning down to 800 rpm I am still not going above 55, but I havnt had it going long. Considering you can pick your the exact rpms you want and get quality performance at all of them, this is a great product.

Thanks for the update...i'll have to pick one up and throw it in a computer.

And for all the talk about the bearings, lets hold on a day or so. If Scythe delivers with their fan, then it won't matter, because fluid bearings will kick ass.

slightly off topic, but is there a similar section for 80mm fans? I can't fit 120mms in my next case that I'm doin, and could use a few recommendations...

VulturEMaN said:
slightly off topic, but is there a similar section for 80mm fans? I can't fit 120mms in my next case that I'm doin, and could use a few recommendations...

I'm sure alot of the fans listed also have an 80mm version.

Also i'm a huge fan of the silverstone fans, i don't have the model number... but it's a 92mm fan that is in the frame of an 80mm. Which is nice.

Back