good, affordable CRT HDTVs

Bo_Bice

Gawd
i can't seem to find good resources for basing a buying decision off of. I'm looking for a 26-32 inch CRT HDTV thats affordable(for an xbox360), but also one that can display decent resolutions from my PC so I can PC game on it as well.

can someone recommend good companies/models to look for when choosing a CRT HDTV? thanks

I don't know of a single CRT tv that can do native 720P
THey all scale down to 480P.

Sony/HP FW900. Read the thread on here that says, I got my CRT from ebay. It is anamzing monitor, 24" flatscreen, and can be had for $300-400.

but then its not an HDTV if it can't do 720p? wth?

benton: im looking for a TV, i already have a crt monitor. if i hook up the monitor to the xbox360, it only gives me 60hz which hurts me eyes.

Bo_Bice said:
but then its not an HDTV if it can't do 720p? wth?

benton: im looking for a TV, i already have a crt monitor. if i hook up the monitor to the xbox360, it only gives me 60hz which hurts me eyes.

Just an FYI but CRT TV's / HDTVs also output @ 60hz ..its the NTSC standard.

And the poster above is incorrect about 720P , CRT HDTV's that accept 720P will upconvert it to 1080i , Not 480P.

My Sony (KV30HS420) does 720p

I have come to the conclusion that due to overscan issues, crt hdtvs suck compare to LCD's for using as a monitor.

1080i on my 6800GT looks vastly different than 1280x720 which looks different than 720x480, so I would say it does all 3.

Robstar said:

I stand corrected CRT hdtvs upconvert to 1080i Including this set (KV30HS420)
The KV30HS420 does not do native 720P.

Robstar said:

I have come to the conclusion that due to overscan issues, crt hdtvs suck compare to LCD's for using as a monitor.

1080i on my 6800GT looks vastly different than 1280x720 which looks different than 720x480, so I would say it does all 3.

Overscan can be adjusted easily using the service menu on Sony tv's.

Dude I have one of the Sony HP CRT 24" Monitors and trust me that's THE best picture quality of ANY Crt period except maybe for the XBR but yeah it's 200-400 bucks instead of 1400+

If it's just for the XBOX 360 get it. I used mine for HD Xbox w/ a Vga adapter and Ninja GAiden looked UNREAL.

how much does a 24" CRT weigh? Also, is it widescreen?
I could not find it on the Sony Website.

yes it is widescreen. It weighs ALOT (I believe 90lb's, but it might be 100, cant remember). You can't find one because it's discontinued. If you want it for around 300-400 you have to check ebay, since their retail price is about $1500-2000. That said, if you see one at that price, BUY IT! To have a totally hd ready screen (correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it does 1080p) for 400 is a rare find. I wouldn't get it for $1500 tho (for that much i'd rather buy a 42" screen).

CRTs are just too damned heavy. I really wanted to stay with that technology, but I couldn't justify putting that beast on my desk. BTW, that monitor is no longer in production. Most of the ones on ebay are used/refurb....so your mileage may vary. There was a widescreen Sony CRT TV I looked at a while ago that was pretty nice. I do not remember the model though. I'm not even sure Sony still makes it. Sony was one of the few companies though that stil makes CRTs...(or at least they did, this was a year ago when I was looking)

are CRT TVs no longer in production either? I'm looking at CRT HDTVs because I don't need over 32", and I don't care about weight. but are there any CRT HDTVs that can do a true 1080i signal? I'd like it primarily for xbox360, and games like oblivion will support 1080i.

I bought the KV-32HS420 about a year ago. You may want the widescreen version (30") for gaming purposes.

Sears pricematched circuit city to $900, then 10% off for using their credit card (which I opened right then), followed by $100 off for getting HDTV through comcast for a few months. woot.

Bo_Bice said:
are CRT TVs no longer in production either? I'm looking at CRT HDTVs because I don't need over 32", and I don't care about weight. but are there any CRT HDTVs that can do a true 1080i signal? I'd like it primarily for xbox360, and games like oblivion will support 1080i.
I don't know where some of the people here are getting their information, but CRT TVs are still in production...though most of the major players have already exited the market. Your best picture quality is still with CRT, especially in the case of HDTV, where scaling issues prevent an LCD or DLP TV from displaying both 720p and 1080i at native resolution. I won't even go into the issue of ghosting, rainbowing, sparkling, screendooring, contrast ratio, and color variance issues exhibited by non-CRT technologies.

If you don't care about size, weight, or power use-- buy a CRT. Its still the best...at least for a few more months.

masher said:
I don't know where some of the people here are getting their information, but CRT TVs are still in production...though most of the major players have already exited the market. Your best picture quality is still with CRT, especially in the case of HDTV, where scaling issues prevent an LCD or DLP TV from displaying both 720p and 1080i at native resolution. I won't even go into the issue of ghosting, rainbowing, sparkling, screendooring, contrast ratio, and color variance issues exhibited by non-CRT technologies.

If you don't care about size, weight, or power use-- buy a CRT. Its still the best...at least for a few more months.

The problem with CRTs is that very few if any actaully have nativve resolution even close to 720P.

So if you don't care about resolution, then yeah, go for it.

As for scaling issues, in VGA mode most LCDs will support a pixel to pixel mapping. Depending on the source.

Frankly, I don't understand your post, CRts are great for movies, but for the 360, forget about it.

HardUp4HardWare said:
The problem with CRTs is that very few if any actaully have nativve resolution even close to 720P.

So if you don't care about resolution, then yeah, go for it.

As for scaling issues, in VGA mode most LCDs will support a pixel to pixel mapping. Depending on the source.

Frankly, I don't understand your post, CRts are great for movies, but for the 360, forget about it.

You'd be suprised how good Xbox360 looks on my Sony 32HS510 CRT @ 1080i , All of the advantages CRTs have over LCD with movies applies here as well ,even more so with the response time / motion blur aspect of it. Even black levels are important with some games which was painfully obvious when I played Condemned on an friends LCD. (Great game btw).

If I were going to buy a larger TV out of CRT size ranges I would go with DLP or Plasma before LCD.

mathesar said:
You'd be suprised how good Xbox360 looks on my Sony 32HS510 CRT @ 1080i , All of the advantages CRTs have over LCD with movies applies here as well ,even more so with the response time / motion blur aspect of it. Even black levels are important with some games which was painfully obvious when I played Condemned on an friends LCD. (Great game btw).

If I were going to buy a larger TV out of CRT size ranges I would go with DLP or Plasma before LCD.

Yeah, you bring up some really good points. I am a die hard CRT PC gamer, but I am currently shopping for an LCD TV for the 360.

I would have to see a CRT in action before I would consider it.

Back