Google Chrome Beta

Well my word - Hell hath frozen ova!
IE:
IEspeedtest.PNG

FF:
FFspeedtest.PNG

Chrome:
ChromeSpeedTest.PNG

I ran each test on each browser - test results were near identical each time!

When ppl are talking abt the speed of a browser they aint talking abt the speed it can pull/push data across the net - that is system/line dependent

THEY are talking abt how it renders the page.
Chrome is fast, def faster then IE,FF,Opera. I want to compare it again FF3.1 with its JIT JavaScript engine, since Chrome has a JIT JavaScript engine as well

"The question isn't are you paranoid... the question is are you paranoid enough?"

You people are funny sometimes... rampant paranoia, fear, FUD, all of it rolled into one. Amazing. As if anyone online is anonymous, untraceable. Stop watching so many hacker movies and get edjumicated about how all this stuff works.

No amount of proxies, no amount of firewalls, no pr0n mode addons or special gizmos will ever keep you that secure.

No one is innocent, no one is safe, and most certainly, no one is secure.

This may be true. But it is also true that other browsers don't outright say "All your data are belong to us" in their EULA.

Not touching this thing until Google stops asking me to sign away all rights to everything I type or view in their browser. They can go mine their data from other oblivious saps.

This may be true. But it is also true that other browsers don't outright say "All your data are belong to us" in their EULA.

Not touching this thing until Google stops asking me to sign away all rights to everything I type or view in their browser. They can go mine their data from other oblivious saps.

Ditto.

Does the legalese say that they are taking the right to display *anything* I show in the bowser? Including say personal and private pics I might take at home?

"By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any content which you submit, post or display on or through, the services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the services and may be revoked for certain services as defined in the additional terms of those services."

Not only can they take any personal/private photos you upload in any way shape or form to any place via Chrome, they can edit it and display it publicly. If they want to, they can take your picture, draw a big cartoon penis on it, and throw it up on a billboard at Times Square with a little "Brought to you by Chrome, lol" bug in the corner.

nothing in the src is phoning home so good old paranoia I think

nice browser. Wish it would build on linux, its just their custom toolkit aint been ported to Mac,Linux atm

The point I'm making is that it doesn't matter whether they are. The point is that they have written it so that they can. Even if they're not doing it now, they have made it legal for them to do so at any time.

I do not trust any company that believes they need that sort of legalese in their product to cover their butts. If they want my data for the advertising they can call me up and ask me for it. I'm not going to give them the right to take it whenever they please. That language is there for a reason, and you have to ask yourself why Google would need an "irrovocable, worldwide etc. etc." with regards to your data.

Hahaha I hope this is a fakepost.

Not too sure what you mean by fake post mate. IF you mean i was just messing around, then yes. I'm not really up on the finer details of browsers.
All i was really trying to say is the end results looks identical in all three browsers.
Chrome is a very interesting development though.

I like the simple interface, its fast and the pages I've tried render correctly. Although I've found a few sites that won't render correctly unless it detects Firefox or IE

I like firefox bookmarks better but I guess I can get used to it.

I'll keep firefox simply because of ad-blocking ([H] is white listed).

If Google releases an adblock filter a la Firefox I might make the switch. Then again the EULA makes me think twice.

When ppl are talking abt the speed of a browser they aint talking abt the speed it can pull/push data across the net - that is system/line dependent

THEY are talking abt how it renders the page.
Chrome is fast, def faster then IE,FF,Opera. I want to compare it again FF3.1 with its JIT JavaScript engine, since Chrome has a JIT JavaScript engine as well

But surely how fast a browser can upload and download is all that really matters?
Surely that's the main contributing factor to how fast the page can be rendered? (I honestly don't know).
And I've now played around with IE, FF and Chrome and every page I look at loads at the same speed from what I can tell - using just my eyes I mean, not a precise form of measurement. The differences seam imperceptible to me.

Chrome vs. FF, my thoughts:

FF "find" feature is way better.

Chrome seems to log me out of websites after a while while FF leaves me logged in all day if I like. For instance, I wrote up a response to another thread earlier today. It took me an hour or so because I kept having to step away to do real work at work. When I finished and hit "Preview" Chrome asked me to log in to HardOCP again. However, once I did log in my post was already Posted, even though I never hit the Post button.

Not sure what happened, but until Chrome works with HardOCP it doesn't work with me.

Nope, I'm sticking with FF 2 (3 was poo)

Google already has my search I will not give them total web domination, and with that TOS they can shove it.

''Not only can they take any personal/private photos you upload in any way shape or form to any place via Chrome, they can edit it and display it publicly. If they want to, they can take your picture, draw a big cartoon penis on it, and throw it up on a billboard at Times Square with a little "Brought to you by Chrome, lol" bug in the corner.''

LOL!, That brightened my day.:)

Also, on the webs i dont do Pics, i mostly just go on different forums. So they cant do much.

But surely how fast a browser can upload and download is all that really matters?
Surely that's the main contributing factor to how fast the page can be rendered? (I honestly don't know).
And I've now played around with IE, FF and Chrome and every page I look at loads at the same speed from what I can tell - using just my eyes I mean, not a precise form of measurement. The differences seam imperceptible to me.

not really. d/l just caches it on-disk. Said data then has to be "rendered" on the screen
A simple HTML with some piccies won't take much time difference between the two
BUT css interpretation, javascript (the biggie here!!!) THESE, all part of rendering a webpage is where the backend renderer becomes key

At the moment webkit is the fastest and most accurate to teh webstandards, followed by whatever Opera uses and then Gecko

Flash content makes high cpu usage in this browser also.. WTF? I really dislike adobe flash browser intergration.. Why someone tell me why!

so installed it on my laptop because I'm at work right now and so far it's working great. Just using a budget 600 dollar Compaq:

-Amd Turion 1.9Ghz
-2Gb of ram
-Vista Home Premium

All that really matters for specs.

Few things I really like so far:
1. Faster for me, I have IE7 and Firefox installed and this seems just a bit faster.
2. History in this is awesome, Cntrl + H sorts by time very easy to see what's going on plus then you can just type in a main word and gets you right there.
3. go to Wikipedia's website, then go ahead and go to google, then type in W + tab and it will be searching on wikipedia's site, also works with images.google.com and many more, very cool feature.
4. Our mail service here firefox does not work with it (the send button does nothing) this browser however does work.
5. Very simple! I love very basic things, I used to be an advanced user and open my PC every day did watercooling and honestly now I just want things to work and when I get home I don't want to have to fix my computer, just like things easy.
6. Free and puts out more competition, I love competition best thing computers have going for it right now.

Pretty much about it so far only been messing around with it for a few hours and so far a lot of the features are pretty cool. Nice browser to have.

I was going to dwn it but the EULA turned me off...should have expected this after all we all know GMAIL's privacy policy...

Privacy hounds posting in a public forum... you folks just shot yourself in your collective feet, you realize this, right? :)

Privacy hounds posting in a public forum... you folks just shot yourself in your collective feet, you realize this, right? :)

Being non-anonymous is not the same thing as signing away the rights to your data. Nobody is saying "Oh noes they know who I am!". We are saying "Oh noes they can take everything I put in their browser and do whatever they want with it with no limits whatsoever and no legal recourse on my side!"

Since there's no editing in news threads...

If you take my post and do something damaging to me with it, I can sue you. At the very least, I can initiate proceedings. If Google takes something I posted in Chrome and does something damaging to me with it, I can't do anything about it. That is the crucial difference.

Not only can they take any personal/private photos you upload in any way shape or form to any place via Chrome, they can edit it and display it publicly. If they want to, they can take your picture, draw a big cartoon penis on it, and throw it up on a billboard at Times Square with a little "Brought to you by Chrome, lol" bug in the corner.

I'm more woried about them showing the world the real one. There are limits to my exhabitionism.

It's the first public release, get real. :) In time all the features common to the most popular browsers will be added, I'm quite certain of that. But it's beta, and really in some respects it's highly alpha but most stuff that matters for websurfing is there, and works just fine, and will only get better as it develops.

There's only so much that Google can do in a lab with a small number of developers on such a project. If it's truly going to grow - and this is just the first step towards a true GoogleOS or something of that nature - people have to use it and comment on it, point out bugs when noted, and contribute.

So use it, contribute, and watch it grow.

Well, agreed the % of sites using RSS is not 90%, I was just surprised that this feature would not be integrated into the UI. With the amount of attention the "release" was getting I anticipated a more finished product then apparently what was released. Other things seemed nice, I just thought this was as strange oversight for the "IE/FF Killer." LOL

Grow on.

Yeah.......that whole EULA thing............not gonna work for me......thanks anyway Google :D

Oh, like NOW the majority is saying EULAs will be enforceable meaning Google actually has given itself the right to do whatever it wants with that stuff. Right... right. You people kill me sometimes... how hypocritical can you possibly become?

I can just see the tagline for Google Chrome now...

ALL YOUR DATA ARE BELONG TO GOOGLE.

Sorry, it ain't happening, people, and you know it.

Installed Google Chrome on a laptop with a clean install of Vista Ultimate 64bit with FF and IE8.

Chrome's speed is quicker than the other browsers loading up the websites I normally peruse. Haven't noticed any incompatibilities as of yet.

The EULA is of great concern because I don't want Google to get my account numbers or any personal information. If they want to get anything else from me as far as searches go, they are most welcome to that information as none of it is confidential.

This in turn leads me to another question...if Google Chrome is collecting information for advertising revenue purposes, will it cache rape (extract) data from the other browsers?

I think it is faster to display pages than IE7/8 or FF3. I am sure it is the gloss to the thing. I installed it and then uninstalled it. I looked at my running processes and noticed I still had the google updater running. Should I be worried. I REALLY don't like that EULA part. Anyone check to see if it left remnants on your pc yet?

I think this is just the knock at the front door of a home invasion. I really don't like where this is going, fast. Anyone else think the same thing?

Looks very nice. I cannot tell the difference in speed between Opera but I'm on a Q9450, everything is fast. The memory usage is so close to Opera that it is negligible. The separate threads/processes per tab seems to be a great idea, nothing pisses me off more than when one tab crashes my browser.

But in the end, I can't use it with that EULA!

I think someone posted something about there not being a status toolbar. There is, it just fades in the bottom left and then fades out. Very cool IMO.

I think someone posted something about there not being a status toolbar. There is, it just fades in the bottom left and then fades out. Very cool IMO.

Cool, yes, but what about those of us who like it there all the time? I know, not much reason for it but I just prefer it that way. Wish there was a way to customize the interface to my liking. At least a little. :(

don't suppose anyone has any information on whats in store for releases to come? I'm not very impressed with chrome so far, but it oozes potential like that stick of toothpaste you just sat on.

It's open source. Go get the source code and make it into whatever browser you wish... if not, then it's hurry-up-and-wait as it develops, and now that it - and the source code - are available, that will begin to happen exponentially faster than just being locked away at Google Labs. ;)

It's open source. Go get the source code and make it into whatever browser you wish... if not, then it's hurry-up-and-wait as it develops, and now that it - and the source code - are available, that will begin to happen exponentially faster than just being locked away at Google Labs. ;)

Not only is it open source it is a very permissive open source license (BSD). I would not be shocked at all to see some open and proprietary forks (assuming Chrome shapes up to be worth forking, looking pretty good so far). There will also be hundreds of tin-foil wearing software geeks auditing this source code for just the kind of nonsense people are FUD mongering about. Assuming Google even did try to pull a stunt like that someone would just fork it and release a Chrome minus Bullsh*t Edition under a different name.

i haven't tried the beta and don't plan on it.

seems good enough that i use their search engine for everything.

I'm posting from Chrome... so far first impressions are very nice. There's only a few things that bother me so far... things highlight weird in chrome, and I can't middle-click scroll.

Other than that, it's very nice! Very quick!

Back