Got an Xbox 360 hands on preview yesterday...impressions....

steviep said:
Programming for the PC more difficult than the X360? I highly doubt that... $$$ talks.

I don't care what kind of core the X360 has; developing for an infinite amount of possible set-ups has to be harder than making one around a single platform. If it wasn't, it wouldn't take several years to make sequels to the popular PC franchises.

This line of discussion needs to be dropped anyways. Lethal has already expressed disdain for the whole PC Vs. Consoles argument, and that is exactly what you've led us into.

Bill Gates was in my home town last night, talking to a bunch of students or something. I heard he had a 360 there. Too bad i missed it.

moralpanic said:
Um they're already starting productions of the 360s... they're only a month away now:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5910312130452993589&q=xbox+360

Ummmm... The launch is on November 22nd. Right now that makes it about 5.5 weeks away, and when I posted that it was one day short of 6 weeks :rolleyes:

And they have been producing the final hardware for Xbox360 for a couple weeks now at least. The changes that will take place in software and has nothing to do with whether or not they are already producing the hardware :eek:

I'm not turning this conversation into a console VS PC. I don't like one over the other - I just firmly believe, with good reason, that a PC is easier to make a game for than either the X360 or the PS3 (maybe the Rev as well? we don't know enough). In any case, I don't want to offend people, hell I've been playing my consoles more lately... I'm just pretty sure that programmers have it MUCH easier with a P4/AMD chip.

Sorry to ressurect this thread, but here are some industry reactions from X05. Some positive, and some negative. But interseting comments include:
I even forgot about the night-and-day difference with "pretend" and "real" Madden gameplay footage, once I saw Crackdown.

Like most of these types of gamers’ days X05 was a mix of good, mediocre, and downright terrible, but overall I left feeling more confident about the 360’s launch and future than I did going in.

there is not one launch game that demonstrates a distinguishable quantum leap into the next-generation

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1283&Itemid=2

Pretty close to what I thought, I just didn't try to sugarcoat anything. :D

That last quote pretty much says it all and why I was overall disappointed with what I saw, gamewise. We probably won't see true next gen stuff until the Unreal 07 engine and Crytek 2 engine are in full use.

Thanks for the links.

No problem. Its launch lineup is decent, just definately not my cup of tea that would warrant a purchase. There is no "killer app" that I see.

Back