Got My 3007!! its huge ..PIcs

Why would you even attempt to game on a 30" LCD without an 8800GTX or Ultra?

Because thats the only card I got right know and later I will get the
8900 or whatever comes out?
And Why shouldn.t I game on that card on a 30" LCD?

Regarding my box, it took some hunting but it is printed near the bar code, the HC is clearly there and its revision A02

Because thats the only card I got right know and later I will get the
8900 or whatever comes out?
And Why shouldn.t I game on that card on a 30" LCD?

Didn't say that you shouldn't, but I wouldn't bother trying with less than a 8800GTS for most games. As for the 8800GTX and Ultra, they won't be replaced until November at the earliest. So if you are in need now, I'd say just go ahead and get one.

I just recently switched over to dual 30" HCs and man the amount of desktop space is just amazing. At first I tried a single 30" with two 2007FPs but after seeing how amazing the 30" is I swapped in for dual 30" displays. I couldn't recommend this monitor enough, especially after calibration the color is just amazing.

Could you 30in HC owners give me some insight as to how it feels to be working with a large monitor daily. I'm thinking of upgrading from my dell 2407 to the 3007 HC, i've read the numerous reviews around and have gathered that its one of the if not the best gaming monitor on the market. But im curious as to how first hand experience is ? Do games feel more life like ? Are movies better on it than a HD 1080p TV ? Any other insight is appreciated, thanks.

This is my second day on the 3007WFP-HC coming from a pathetic little 15''TFT. when the thing arrived yesterday I was still surprised how large it really is but then its hard to compare 15'' with 30''. Today all seems fine and it already feels extremely comfortable. Games are absolutely immersive although I tend to move back a little more than for normal desktop use. 1080p HD content fills only about 2/3 of the screen when in window mode. I dont have a direct comparison but am more than happy with the 1:1 aspect scaling to native resolution. The blur you get is minimal and the colors and vibrance of this screen are well worth it. I spent a long time comparing the S-PVA based 2407wfp with this one that has the S-IPS panel and prefer the latter for its better viewing angles while still having surprisingly good black levels.

Of note, for those living in the UK, I picked mine up here from a company (http://www.mcscom.co.uk) where they are sold as refurbished models for around £575 including Tax. Mine appeared totally unused and states 3yrs warranty on the service tag. Its manufactured in the Czech Republic and revision A02.

They have some good prices there (I'm interested in the 27"). Very cheap...so you think it is worth taking the plunge with a refurb?

They have some good prices there (I'm interested in the 27"). Very cheap...so you think it is worth taking the plunge with a refurb?

I am not sure what is refurbished on my unit really apart from the box that may have been opened previously. Mine still had some of the plastic protection stuck to it. I bought it through their auction on ebay and spoke to two previous buyers of the 3007WFP. Both were equally happy and found the screens to be flawless. The company offers 30 days exchange if you got dead pixels or something else goes wrong.
I checked for all the obvious such as dead pixels, backlight bleed and uniformity but found nothing at all. I do a lot of photography using a DSLR and this is when the extra resolution of the 30'' really makes a difference. Of course, if you need component or HDMI inputs you are better of with the 27''.

Indeed but Im not running SLI and would to play games a decent speed. Anyhow 30 just seems a little too big.

It's not. I thought it would be at first but not after using it for awhile. Especially not for games and image manipulation or 3D work. The 30" is frankly the best piece of equipment I've ever purchased.

Its a personal thing...Ive used an Apple 30" and while it has screen real estate I feel its a little too overwhelming. As for image manipulation and design...well that's my job and I've been using this 21" CRT for five years. Widescreen is the way to go...just maybe not too wide. Personally if you are a gamer and designer (with a certain budget and existing system setup - something people seem to forget) then 27 or below (24 even) seems logical.

Its a personal thing...Ive used an Apple 30" and while it has screen real estate I feel its a little too overwhelming. As for image manipulation and design...well that's my job and I've been using this 21" CRT for five years. Widescreen is the way to go...just maybe not too wide. Personally if you are a gamer and designer (with a certain budget and existing system setup - something people seem to forget) then 27 or below (24 even) seems logical.

I guess it comes down to personal preference but i agree with Dan_D that its size seems totally normal after only two days in my possession. I cranked up font size to 120dpi and sit at around 80 cm from the screen.The almost double number of pixels compared to the 27'' really show their strength in graphical application. I am also not a big fan of the large pixel pitch of the 27'' and the relatively high price tag compared to the 2407 with essentially the same technology. If you care about the extended colour gamut you may wanna wait for the 2407WFP-HC, ableit it also only has the S-PVA panel as far as I know.
The other thing you mention is your existing system setup but this is likely to turn over more rapidly than the screen or wont it?

I agree.

It's not. I thought it would be at first but not after using it for awhile. Especially not for games and image manipulation or 3D work. The 30" is frankly the best piece of equipment I've ever purchased.

terminator3a.jpg

terminator3.jpg

terminator.jpg

Pics taken with Nikon 5600 in sunset mode, flash enabled, redeye enabled, angle shot to offset flash , Warnerbrothers shot same settings but 20 degress offset to perpendicular (just cleared the flash you can see it at bottom of screen)

Nice. You always got a beer and a backup beer. In the IT industry we call that being highly available. Open up both at the same time and you could load balance :)
Nice monitor. Not sure if i should buy or wait for LED backlighting to become cheap and take off.

I wonder how much LED lighting for a 30 inch model would amount to. Its unlikely to be affordable for some time to come.
Btw, pics look great but never capture the true size of this beast.

I just upgraded to the Dell 30" from a Sony 23". Took me about 1 hour of Counter Strike to adjust. I still think the picture on the Sony is better but the Dell looks great! The 30" is perfect though...Not too big.

Could any 3007WFP-HC owner from (preferably from Europe) let me know whether their screen is recognised specifically as the HC version under wiondows? The driver seems to say its the 3007WFP while in the Nvidia control panel I get the HC model. Using SISoft sandra its states as ID 3007WFP with manufacturing date 19Feb 2007. The ID seems to be simply a readout of the driver so probably doesnt mean much.
The problem is that there is no direct info on the screen label apart from the service tag, express service code and revision (A02). Its been manufactured in the Czech Repuplic. I bought mine as a refurbished HC model and want to make sure I haven't been ripped off somehow. They offer 30days exchange if something is wrong. One gets paranoid when spending all this money.
thanks for the input.

UPDATE: I finally had a closer look a the small print of the label beside the service tag and its says 3007WFP-HC - so all is good

Nice. You always got a beer and a backup beer. In the IT industry we call that being highly available. Open up both at the same time and you could load balance :)
Nice monitor. Not sure if i should buy or wait for LED backlighting to become cheap and take off.

lol, thats my "old" screen. But yes i enjoy a cold brew while gaming or socializing on the web/

Could any 3007WFP-HC owner from (preferably from Europe) let me know whether their screen is recognised specifically as the HC version under wiondows? The driver seems to say its the 3007WFP while in the Nvidia control panel I get the HC model. Using SISoft sandra its states as ID 3007WFP with manufacturing date 19Feb 2007. The ID seems to be simply a readout of the driver so probably doesnt mean much.
The problem is that there is no direct info on the screen label apart from the service tag, express service code and revision (A02). Its been manufactured in the Czech Repuplic. I bought mine as a refurbished HC model and want to make sure I haven't been ripped off somehow. They offer 30days exchange if something is wrong. One gets paranoid when spending all this money.

thanks for the input.

UPDATE: I finally had a closer look a the small print of the label beside the service tag and its says 3007WFP-HC - so all is good

Is it on the back of the LCD Monitor that says 3007WFP-HC

I've been focusing so much on the 24"ers for mom and friend that I haven't turned my attention to my 30" in a while

there's nothing on the pigster wiki about the original 3007...

does anybody know what the differences between revisions were?

It was of great concern for the BenQ and Dell 24" I'm dealing with as it meant 1:1 pixel mapping or not...

I'm wondering what things changed over time with the 3007.

thank you

edit: also can someone point me to the results of people trying other input sources for this monitor? IE (360 and PS3 HDMI --> dvi, or HD cable box with DVI/hdmi --> dvi)

thanks for the input.

I’m looking to get one as well but again it mentions a 30 day warranty, I’m hoping the monitors were bought with an extended warranty. Can you try entering the service tag into the website, this should tell you if you have any warranty. Also are all the details (dell order number etc…) printed on the shipping label(on the box itself).

http://support.dell.com/support/top...ormation?c=us&cs=555&l=en&s=biz&~ck=ln&lnki=0

I’m looking to get one as well but again it mentions a 30 day warranty, I’m hoping the monitors were bought with an extended warranty. Can you try entering the service tag into the website, this should tell you if you have any warranty. Also are all the details (dell order number etc…) printed on the shipping label(on the box itself).

http://support.dell.com/support/top...ormation?c=us&cs=555&l=en&s=biz&~ck=ln&lnki=0

My 3007WFP-HC was initially shown with a 3 years NBD. The site tells you exactly how many days are left. However, this is now no longer active and MCS.com confirmed that the service contracts with Dell are invalid and only 30 days are offered. So far all is working fine pretty much 24/7 and I will have to take the risk after the 30 days have passed.

I'm a total newb to monitors so sorry in advance.

Is the WFP different from the WFP-HC and if so whats the difference?

I'm looking at buying a 3007 now thats it within a more reasonable price range and was curious what sort of coupons are valid with it from Dell if any. I've heard mention of a 25% off someone got through some email (but that might just be for the 2407) and also heard of a possible 10% off all Electronics/Accessories if you sign up for Dells Newsletter. Anyone know anything about those or other deals?

And the main reason I could justify spending so much for this monitor is if it'd be possible to double as a TV. The inputs seem to be extremely limited. But I should still be able to use it as a TV via card adapter. And was curious how good it would look after going through one of those cards.

Also how do movies in 1080p(or i or whatever) look on this? I keep hearing how great it is to have a monitor at 1080 native resolution.. but what if your above that resolution and want to take full advantage of the size of the screen? will it just look fugly?

I'm a total newb to monitors so sorry in advance.

Is the WFP different from the WFP-HC and if so whats the difference?

I'm looking at buying a 3007 now thats it within a more reasonable price range and was curious what sort of coupons are valid with it from Dell if any. I've heard mention of a 25% off someone got through some email (but that might just be for the 2407) and also heard of a possible 10% off all Electronics/Accessories if you sign up for Dells Newsletter. Anyone know anything about those or other deals?

And the main reason I could justify spending so much for this monitor is if it'd be possible to double as a TV. The inputs seem to be extremely limited. But I should still be able to use it as a TV via card adapter. And was curious how good it would look after going through one of those cards.

Also how do movies in 1080p(or i or whatever) look on this? I keep hearing how great it is to have a monitor at 1080 native resolution.. but what if your above that resolution and want to take full advantage of the size of the screen? will it just look fugly?

The 3007WFP has a 14ms response (typical) and an 11ms response (grey to grey). It has a color gamut of 72% (or somewhere in that ballpark) while the 3007WFP-HC has a lower response time (too lazy to look it up right now) and a color gamut of 92%.

Your inputs are limited so using these things as a TV is pretty much right out. Adapters usually suck and there is no guarantee that it will work right. Movies look awesome at 1080P but honestly 1080P is way below the resolution this thing is capable of, so movies aren't this monitors forte. If you are interested in a TV/Multi-purpose monitor, the Westinghouse 37" would seem like the better choice for you.

I really don't wanna take the resolution hit switching to another monitor. I'm just curious if doing anything but gaming/application work on it is noticeable to a novice.

*edit*
Also when it comes to gaming.. is there any major games that don't support this massive resolution these days?

I really don't wanna take the resolution hit switching to another monitor. I'm just curious if doing anything but gaming/application work on it is noticeable to a novice.

Probably not, but as I said it only has the one input. That limits it's functionality to a degree. I don't know how well any kind of adapter will work on it.

I was questioning what sort of loss I'd take from going with something with a 1080p native resolution versus a higher res all around better image quality and I heard everything I wanted to hear out of this page on this review.

http://www.hothardware.com/articles/Dell_UltraSharp_3007WFPHC__92_Color_Gamut_30_Inch_LCD/?page=6

And it makes sense too.. you wouldn't really lose much quality going higher res then what the file is at. It'd just maybe cause a little interpolation which wouldn't even be noticeable from a distance.

Now to just find a deal on a HDTV Tuner Card... and the harder part finding one that can take advantage of this resolution.

So where do I sign up for the membership club jackets for the 3007? Gonna go order mine now.

I was questioning what sort of loss I'd take from going with something with a 1080p native resolution versus a higher res all around better image quality and I heard everything I wanted to hear out of this page on this review.

http://www.hothardware.com/articles/Dell_UltraSharp_3007WFPHC__92_Color_Gamut_30_Inch_LCD/?page=6

And it makes sense too.. you wouldn't really lose much quality going higher res then what the file is at. It'd just maybe cause a little interpolation which wouldn't even be noticeable from a distance.
Completely agree... HD material looks *stunning* on the 3007WFP-HC I'm now using at work, every bit as good as my 1080p Toshiba HDTV at home.

In fact, the 720p "Lost" downloads I've recently been watching seem even better - they'd need to be upscaled anyway to fit a 1920x1080 HDTV, and it occurred to me that 720p material on a 2560x1600 display will be a straightforward 2:1 pixel mapping. Maybe it's just the smaller screen size though, or maybe I'm just seeing what I want/expect to see.

Anyway, I'm totally smitten by the 3007WFP in every respect, to the point where I'm thinking of chopping in my own 2707WFP which was previously the best monitor I'd ever used...

I've been focusing so much on the 24"ers for mom and friend that I haven't turned my attention to my 30" in a while

there's nothing on the pigster wiki about the original 3007...

does anybody know what the differences between revisions were?

It was of great concern for the BenQ and Dell 24" I'm dealing with as it meant 1:1 pixel mapping or not...

I'm wondering what things changed over time with the 3007.

thank you

edit: also can someone point me to the results of people trying other input sources for this monitor? IE (360 and PS3 HDMI --> dvi, or HD cable box with DVI/hdmi --> dvi)

repost

I finally pulled the trigger on the 3007...love it.

of course, i still want more.

this setup is fairly awesome: http://www.ubergizmo.com/zoom.php?i...7wfp-14.jpg,2006/2/dell-3007wfp-15.jpg&page=3

Should it be a problem to set games to JUST the 3007? I know windows would see all three monitors as one large virtual desktop but i'm curious how it would handle games and if i could just have the 3007 drive the games.

thanks!

Typically just the 3007 will be used for gaming, the other two won't.

I finally pulled the trigger on the 3007...love it.

of course, i still want more.

this setup is fairly awesome: http://www.ubergizmo.com/zoom.php?i...7wfp-14.jpg,2006/2/dell-3007wfp-15.jpg&page=3

Should it be a problem to set games to JUST the 3007? I know windows would see all three monitors as one large virtual desktop but i'm curious how it would handle games and if i could just have the 3007 drive the games.

thanks!

Back