Got my Hanns-G HG281 Today!! Pics

im thinking about switching from 2 17"s to this 28. Do you think its worth it to go from 1 monitor to 2? Or should i try to keep all 3?

It really comes down to personal preference. Me personally, I don't have a need for more than one monitor - then again I own one of these 28"ers. You on the other hand might not be able to do without a couple.

Is this LCD a viable solution for Photoshop / Web-design work, or is it really better suited for gaming?

For your reference - this is what 3 of these LCDs look like:

f2.jpg

f1.jpg

f3.jpg

found my camera and took some pics of games on it:

the backlight bleed on this monitor is pretty bad but my camera made it look worse then it actually is.

Diablo 2

This monitor doesn't scale 800x600 but adds black bars on the left and right in 640x480 and for some reason when i first hooked it up my nvidia control panel was displaying it as a hdtv, i think it was because before i got this monitor i was using a 32" samsung as my display and before i formatted it was scaling diablo 2 perfectly with black bars on all sides.

Half-Life 2

Halo 3 and Call of Duty 4 and Gears of War pc

Good monitor overall but I'm thinking of returning it and getting the BenQ V2400W.

I will take more pics once i get more games installed.

Sigh I bit on the Costco deal, I now have a Hannsg 281 alongside a vertical dell 2005fpw. My god its beautiful... great screen. No dead pixels or backlight bleed, I think I got very lucky...

NewScreen-75.jpg

I really wish my desk had room for this Unit. I think my choices are limited to the 24" range.

There is a bug that prevents this monitor from going into sleep mode when using a GTX 260 or 280 videocard. I changed it to pc mode per this thread or another thread, but my nvidia card still see it as a HDTV. I read on another thread that you can edit the EDID of the monitor so that the videocard sees it as a monitor, but I don't know what settings to change. I would appreciate some help if you know what to do. Thx.

Just ordered one, I hope it get lucky with no backlight bleed or dead pixels!

Just got an email reply from Hannstar tech support (the parent company) that the HG281 is HDCP compliant and will playback Blu-ray movies at 1080P. For those who were wondering like I did... now to buy one of these monsters...:cool:

A few questions:

1. Can my x800xt run this beast?
2. How do 720p/1080p tv encodes /divx movies look on it

Sadly the only place that sells this in Canada is newegg and they have that lousy 8 pixel policy...bleah

A few questions:

1. Can my x800xt run this beast?
2. How do 720p/1080p tv encodes /divx movies look on it

Sadly the only place that sells this in Canada is newegg and they have that lousy 8 pixel policy...bleah

Hanns-G HG281D does not support Full HD.

This is the first LCD monitor I have ever bought and just arrived today from Costco. First off, this screen is MASSIVE. I never expected it to be so large. Yeah, I know I ordered a 28" monitor, but damn! After seeing the box it arrived it, I was simply stunned.

The monitor itself has decent colors and black levels considering its a TN panel. I do have one stuck pixel, but I never notice it because its at the bottom of the screen. The black light bleeding is definitely more significant than I thought it would be. I've been using a NEC 19" Multisync FE991 monitor for the past 4 years, so it may take a while to get use to the black levels and black light bleeding. However, this monitor really is great for reading text. Its super crisp and I can read things oh so easily.

However, there is one issue that I do have. I have an older Pentium 4 computer with a ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, so I'm using the DVI to HDMI cord this monitor comes with. It does work, BUT only when I boot the computer with the monitor on. If I turn on the monitor after booting, the monitor won't see any signal OR if I turn off the monitor, then turn it on in windows, it still won't see any signal. This also happens when I physically remove the cable DVI to HDMI cable from the monitor or video card. It simply can't detect it again!

VGA to VGA works fine. I can turn the monitor on or off at any time and the monitor will detect a signal. The text isn't as clean as the DVI to HDMI so I want to stick with that if possible.

EDIT:
Okay, I've tried multiple different drivers, the official ATI Drivers versions 6 and 7, and I've used the latest Omega 3.8.442 drivers on Windows XP SP2, all to no avail. I've read the posts by MasterJones who seems to have the same problem with his Radeon X300 in which he also gets the "no signal" message whenever he power offs his monitor and turns it back on again.

Is there any reason for problem and are they any workarounds besides me restarting my computer???

This will make or break me keeping this monitor because the VGA input doesn't produce as clean a text.

EDIT Again - Found Solution to "no signal"!!!:
Okay, after tinkering with some the Omega Drivers' ATI Tray Tools, I made two hotkeys to "Turn off Monitor" and "Turn on Monitor" to deal with "no signal" message after turning the monitor off then on again. And what do you know, it friggin works!!! :D

After getting the "No Signal" message, I simply hit the hotkey to "turn off monitor", then I wait a second or two then I hit the hotkey to "turn on monitor"... within a few seconds, the monitors receives the signal and my desktop comes back to life!!!

Hope this help anyone who may deal with this problem in the future

how do i get better black on this thing when i watch blu ray movies and theres alot of dark scenes it looks like ass. what settings on the actual display and ati/nvidia settings do u guys use that looks best when watching movies?

Actually, Costco has it for $400. Great monitor - I really love mine. Everybody who sees mine has a fit over it.

Until Jan 31st they have a $30 instant rebate, so it is $369.99. I also have a $100 costco gift card sitting doing nothing. Looks like a good combonation!

Using a 19" diamondtron NF CRT right now.

Ordered one from costco.com, after my gift card it was $321 shipped. Will give it a spin, if I don't like it I can return it to costco.

Just got it today. So far the quality is good. I was really expecting it to look worse than it does. I have setup hundreds of LCD's at work and have come across some crappy ones. The size is huge too. I have dual 20" wide fp at work and this is bigger than both of them.

Model is HG281D.

Hey guys, my HannsG is being delivered today. I remember reading that it doesn't come with any drivers. So for those of you using vista, mind sharing where/which driver you're using?

I was wondering what settings do you have your monitor at? Brightness, contrast and the colors etc...

Thanks.

Hey guys. I have a question for those who own this monitor, do you have any issues with the text and blurriness?

I am thinking about buying this HannsG and returning my Westy. The westy has some problems with the wavy blurry lines throughout the text and I cannot fix it with the phase control...

Hey guys. I have a question for those who own this monitor, do you have any issues with the text and blurriness?

I am thinking about buying this HannsG and returning my Westy. The westy has some problems with the wavy blurry lines throughout the text and I cannot fix it with the phase control...

Mine look crisp. I have not had any issue with this monitor. I love it. Only thing is you have to adjust the brightness and other settings to get it to your liking. Other than that, i recommend it. Get it from costco, if you dont like it you can just return it.

Thanks for the reply!

Have you had any issue with the brightness/color difference from the top to bottom of the monitor? ( I know most have issues but some are worse than others )

just got this from costco. when you first use it, it's just HUGE but don't worry after a day or so it feels fine.

no dead pixel but I haven't looked all that carefully. viewing angle is ok for a TN considering the size. You need to be at least a couple of feet back or you'll see discoloration on the sides. Off angle viewing is a no go on this monitor. No buzzing noise, which is a good thing. I like the control buttons; easy to press and not in an awkward position (for me), even though they're slighty behind the screen and you have to pretty much do it by feel. Tilt and swivel but sadly no height adjustment. I can't figure out how to get proper aspect ratio scaling (i.e., no stretching). Using included dvi->hdmi cable.

Biggest drawback for me is the poor contrast, making the screen look washed out to me and colors not deep. I turned brightness to zero and contrast to 65, but I still have to turn down gamma and brightness in nvidia's control panel to get deep black and good colors. Of course that crushes my blacks so I'm losing shadow details, but it gives me deeper colors and darker easier to read text.

So kind of a mixed bag for me. I think I'll have to opt for one of the affordable 26" and sacrifice some size for better contrast.

I just got this in from Newegg last night. I got it for about $330 after tax. So far I am amazed by the size since I am coming from a 5 year old Samsung 710t 17inch lcd. I have not done anything but browse the internet yet but I have not noticed any dead pixels or buzzing sounds. I will be doing some gaming and movie watching in the coming days. If I have any problems I will probably make another post here or start a new thread.

Joining the club. $312 shipped from TigerDirect(after $39.99 Bing cashback).
IMG_8015.jpg

(Dell 2007WFP on the left)

I bought the I-Inc-badged version of this monitor on Saturday, as a quasi-replacement for my aging Soyo Topaz S, and I'm undecided on it. It appears to have a brighter and sharper picture than the Soyo, in addition to a truly solid stand, but I'm occasionally running into the one thing I'm not crazy about about TN (?) displays--that positional color shift if you look at it from the wrong angle. (The current placement isn't perfect for a monitor of this size, to be fair: if it were about three inches lower...) Flip side, there's no input lag and there are no major issues with the screen/backlight apart from one pixel that flashes red from time to time. I need to give it more of a workout...

Last edited:
What's the difference (if any) between the spree and G versions and the various different letters? I see ST281MAB, HG281DJ, etc.

Just picked this monitor up today from a fellow [H] member and wow is this thing HUGE! I mean, I knew it was going to be big but it just dwarfs my Dell 22" 2209WA!
So far it looks fantastic....I'm very excited to see what gaming on 1920x1200 is like! :D

whoa didn't know there was a thread on this.
i friggin love this monitor. just wanted to say that i guess.

Joining the club. $312 shipped from TigerDirect(after $39.99 Bing cashback).
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f39/sethmo38/Randoms/IMG_8015.jpg/IMG]
(Dell 2007WFP on the left)[/QUOTE]
i've got an LG 20" that i've wanted to setup like that but it just doesn't match right. wonder if a 19" would line up better...

or maybe there's a 4:3 monitor size that fits it better...?

Hey guys, just got this screen, anyone get ghosting un dark scenes in games? for example in 2_fort in the base under the stairs the dark area, it ghosts there, also i notcied sometimes the screen flckers a bit more than normal lcd screens, anyone else???

Back