Got my Hanns-G HG281 Today!! Pics

Someone on here said he has it connected component on his Xbox 360 going to the component to vga adapter on his Hanns 28" He has no problems scaling the 360 with that setup.

Hmm. OK, well, first I guess I should say that I don't own a 360 so I can't try it myself. But, I have talked to some people on the subject and they did say that they couldn't get the 360 to scale past 1080i via the D-Sub.

But, now that I think about it a little bit more... Weren't the first couple of revisions of the 360 limited to 1080i anyway? I didn't think to ask any of these guys if they had 360's with HDMI ports, much less think of the significance of just how high a 360's resolution could scale to.

And besides, it really wouldn't make sense for the D-sub to not be able to hit the monitors resolution, right?

Well, I've been known to be wrong, and I'll admit to it. :)

When connected by way of DVI to HDMI what available resolutions does one have besides the native? If you had to play Crysis at 1280x768 does it look good and scale as it should?

Yeah it looks good. I play Crysis at 1440 x 900 and it still looks good.

When connected by way of DVI to HDMI what available resolutions does one have besides the native? If you had to play Crysis at 1280x768 does it look good and scale as it should?

hey i got a new model of hanns-g 2400:1 contrast ration and 2 hdmi i still think it is 90% TN but what do you guys think?? and the badge is different from the original 28", I got this from BB just today, no pics yet... I think it is from the LCD HANNSpree Xm Series..

Holy crap really? Is it the same model number? The one I have is the HG281DJB model. Does it look the same?

nope i searched online while i was at the store and nothing came up.. it is HF289F but let me get it to be sure it is still in the car haven't set-up first, afraid of the dreaded restocking fee from bby

this review is an old model, the new model that i have has 2xhdmi 1 component and i think rca too... but other than that cant find any other reviews from different site....

this review is an old model, the new model that i have has 2xhdmi 1 component and i think rca too... but other than that cant find any other reviews from different site....

Can you double-check the connectors now that you have it out of the box?

I would like to know if this version has a DVI connector now.

Oh yah, I know my Hanns 28" HG281DJB has height adjustment. But, mine does not have 1:1 mapping. Does your new Hanns 28" have 1:1 pixel mapping? If yours does, man do I feel sick! LoL.

you pm'd me check your pm

2xhdmi
1xvga
1xcomponent
1xrca
2xaudio out

Yeah, I posted here first and wasn't sure if you would get back here or not right away so I PM'd. I have the 281 and I'm on my last 2 days to return, so I wanted to make sure of the connectors before I became locked in it.

The only drawback to these are the lack of a DVI connector. Without it, it can't do fixed aspect ratio (1:1). However, the picture quality on this is far better than the other monitors I've seen and the size can't be beat for the price. I am ready to sacrifice the fixed aspect ratio. I will need to still run 4:3 for some of my games, so I'll either need to run it with a stretched image (not too big of a deal for some games) or will need to run it off my old CRT (It's a 21" so I won't be lacking there). All-in-all, I'm really impressed with this monitor.

did you buy yours B&M? this new one clearly has improved than the old one, are you gonna return it?

@hardwareguru

I may have that height adjustment too, just dont know how? it also tilts back and forth

If you LCD height adjustment is like mines, then...there should be a flat plastic piece in the back that you press in. While pushing that flat plastic piece, you then adjust the monitors height to your desired setting.

I bit...

I picked up the new one and am looking at them side-by-side right now. I will post more later in the new thread iseedeadpeople started.

cool!!! i think the new one should look a bit better, yeah there is a plastic tab at the back but it is hard to adjust/press not that i need more height on my screen... I just dont know how to do it..

I might have to pic one of these up at BB on Tues. I could care less about a fixed aspect ratio (can't you use the Nvidia control panel for this option as well?) but I only hope it's as good as my Samsung 2232BW at gaming. Would anyone agree that this monitor is better than my Samsung for gaming besides the size diff?

I could care less about a fixed aspect ratio (can't you use the Nvidia control panel for this option as well?)

Nope, Nvidia's control panel will not work over HDMI. I tried getting it to work over several monitors with no luck... The final straw for me was a monitor that had both DVI & HDMI. The control panel wouldn't take affect over the HDMI, but it worked fine when plugged into the DVI port.

iseedeadpeople....Push down on your monitor a bit to relieve the spring tension in the stand... then press the button and slide the screen up.

Is there any advantage to using a HDMI port over DVI for pc gaming? Why use HDMI in the first place for a pc monitor? Would it not make more sense to have a DVI anf HDMI over VGA? Maybe it has something to do with the response time as far as a HDMI connection.

Can anyone verify with their PS3 or Xbox 360 whether it stretches the 1080P (1920 x 1080) signal to 1920 x 1200 res on the Hanns 28"? I am curious on this and have not heard from anyone saying it stretches it or not.

Can anyone verify with their PS3 or Xbox 360 whether it stretches the 1080P (1920 x 1080) signal to 1920 x 1200 res on the Hanns 28"? I am curious on this and have not heard from anyone saying it stretches it or not.

I don't have a 360 or a PS3, However I ran 1920x1080 from my computer and it shrinks the viewable area down and has approx 1" bars on the top/btm & sides. The odd thing is that it looks proportional to 16:10 not 16:9. I don't have time atm to run the number to check for sure. The image quality takes a hit because it is no longer running 1:1. It is odd that they chose to crop the sides, since 1920 is native for it.

All I know is that my circles look like eggs not round. But it is easter? Everyone likes eggs.;)

I know this may be a ridiculous question, but I am going to ask anyways before I drop $500 on something. If I get this monitor, will my 9600 GT be enough to push it for games? And if not, will running at a lower resolution (1650) look terrible? I know this may be dumb but I know much more about hardware than monitors:D
Thanks

You should be fine man with a 9600GT card on this 28" LCD. I have an 8800GT which is a little faster than you r 9600GT card. I mean you can't push the full 1920 x 1200 res on games with AA and AF enabled but, you still can run games decently at 1680 x 1050 and even some at 1920 x 1200 but disable AA and AF. Here is some games I play on my 28" with an 8800GT and its setting

UT3 - 1920 x 1200 with no AA
GOW - 1920 x 1200 settings all on high No AA
Crysis - 1440 x 900 settings all on high with No AA
COD4 - 1680 x 1050 with setting on med-high with 4X AA and 2X AF
Stalker - 1440 x 900 with No AA

I know this may be a ridiculous question, but I am going to ask anyways before I drop $500 on something. If I get this monitor, will my 9600 GT be enough to push it for games? And if not, will running at a lower resolution (1650) look terrible? I know this may be dumb but I know much more about hardware than monitors:D
Thanks

Crysis is the only game I can't run at native resolution on my Hans-G with an 8800GT and even then it looks great. You will be fine with a 9600GT.

As long as the ratio remains 16:10, your games should look OK, just stay away from 4:3 or the easter eggs will appear ;) . If this thing had fixed aspect in DVI mode it would rock... I found there is an option to turn on 4:3, however it can only be done w/ component and HDMI (The HF289H has this option, not the 281). Even thought they give you a DVI-HDMI converter something in the monitor sees one vs the other. If anyone has any thoughts of how to trick into thinking its a HDMI signal, let me know.

So I hooked up my 360 to this monitor via component --> triple phono coupler --> component --> vga adapter to VGA on the monitor.

It works... and I was able to do 1080p... but its insanely dark. Even with all the brightness settings maxed on the monitor and in game. Tried changing the black level settings in 360s setup... no change =(

Anyone else have this problem

I have the 289 model but I can tell you that my 9600gt runs things fine at 1920x1200. I wouldn't run anything outside of native rez on an lcd personally.

It will run CoD4 great if at most settings max but with AA off. So if you arent an xAA snob, it will run great and it looks great without it at that rez to me. Crysis is really an out of spec game for this generation imo, and when other games come out on its generation of rendering complexity 4th quater when nvidia should release the real new architecture that can really run games like that (especially with a single-slot solution and not sli that I consider a ripoff), crysis might not stand out as one of the better ones. At the moment it seems like a carrot milking ppl into buying more 'old' architecture cards for sli.

So for me I thought it best to go with a 9600gt (palit sonic version, factory overclocked), and 4th qtr hopefully buy a really heavy video card on the new nvidia architecture as an xmas present to myself. It makes more sense than spending $400+ on video cards twice in the same year essentially , especially when one time is on a somewhat artificially perpetuated (or at least in a late extension) architecture.

can someone measure their monitors height... what is the lowes you can get this monitor down? I have a new desk with hutch and it needs to fit down and under it.... currently thinking about buying this and replacing my 24" crt

I have two of these LCD's... got one in late 07 and one recently:

one
two
three
back
back 2

I've moved places so those setups are in different rooms. By the way, does anyone have a fix for this? To summerize: I run either a 9800 GTX or a GTX 260 during sleep the monitor would be still on and stuck with "No signal Input, Check Video Cable" and stay on. Even if I halt the box the monitors will still have this message and remain on.

I have no problem powering both of them off, but it'll be nice to have it done automatically.

Anyone know of any solutions?

I have no problem powering both of them off, but it'll be nice to have it done automatically.

What are your power state options in Bios. S1 or S3 ect... These settings will effect the power off and on state of the monitor upon shutdown and or restart/powering back up. Mine will not self power on after a shutdown unless I set it to S1 power state as auto does not work well and I always had to shut the monitor off and then back on the next time I fired up my rig. Try changing the settings and see if it helps. It could also be Vista (if your using it) as it can directly efect the power down state of your rig regardless of bios settings as long as Vista gets to put in it's '2 cents' upon shut down. Check the power options in your operating sytem.

I just received my new HannsG from Costco and I'm very impressed. I currently own a Dell 2407 and wanted a larger monitor with reduced lag times. The Hanns fits that bill very well. The colors are great and text is sharp. The monitor goes into sleep mode and comes back on with the twitch of a mouse with no problems. Zero dead pixels! :D

Here you see the noticeable size difference in the monitors. It dwarfs the 24".

img00042kk1.jpg

Quick test showing improved lag time with the slower Dell (left) and Hanns (right)

img00041pr4.jpg

I did a quick vid on my crackberry and you can see a slight lag at the begining of this video when I'm showing the scores on COD4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t54Sqk4uzAw

Anyways good stuff so far

***Huge improvement in color/contrast with the following settings***
Color Setting: 6300
R: 100
G: 100
B: 98

This monitor is pretty nice, especially for under $500. Considering getting for my computer to replace my 19" (non widescreen) LCD monitor.

im thinking about switching from 2 17"s to this 28. Do you think its worth it to go from 1 monitor to 2? Or should i try to keep all 3?

Back