Got my Hanns-G HG281 Today!! Pics

For people using this monitor for multiple uses, a handy trick to learn is the reach around method. You only need to remember the bottom 3 buttons on the monitor.

When you have a new source but it is undetected, just turn it off (bottom button), turn it on (same button), then choose the third button from the bottom for digital, or the second button from the bottom for analog. Much easier than rehooking cables and such.

I just tried your method newster but it does not seem to work for me. I turn the monitor off, turn it back on and see the "no signal" screen. I press the third button from the bottom because I am using a DVI->HDMI cable but it does not turn back on for me.

Suggestions?

Got mine from BestBuy for $600. Hope it goes on sale next week or I'll drop back by with a couple of the $500 Internet price printouts.

I had two stuck pixels on the first one. A red one in the bottom right (not really an issue), but a bright green one almost dead center. No luck rubbing them out. I swung back by and they gave me a new one after confirming those were stuck. GeekSquad let me look at it first before taking it home. The guy I was talking to actually was quite knowledgeable about LCD's (as it's been reported some of them can't even install a case fan successfully), and mentioned a program called UndeadPixel they use with crazy success (something like 90% unstuck rate). Might be worth a try if anyone has any.

I came from 2x Dell 20" LCD's (2001FP), but I might put one back online as I'm just missing having two screens. Love it so far. Geforce 8800GT, 23 brightness, 66 contrast, custom color 94 red 91 green 82 blue. I'd like a slightly higher resolution, but it absolutely does the trick. Played some LOTRO and some TeamFortress2 at max resolution, no ghosting, bright sections, or powersave issues seen. I have a 32" Westinghouse next to me I use for my 360, so I can't comment on any of the TV/console issues.

I just tried your method newster but it does not seem to work for me. I turn the monitor off, turn it back on and see the "no signal" screen. I press the third button from the bottom because I am using a DVI->HDMI cable but it does not turn back on for me.

Suggestions?
Judging by your previous post, you have some deeper issues involved with your system not playing videos and such. Does VLC play but you just see no video in the video screen?

You guys should check out the Joytech hdmi switcher that buy.com sells for $30. I have this device connecting my pc and xbox360 premium thru the hdmi connection of the great Hanns G monitor and it works flawlessly. I was using both connections on the rear of the monitor and having to use the side buttons to switch connections was a pain. The switcher also comes with a ir extender and remote for easy switching and the xbox360 looks much brighter connected thru the hdmi instead of that analog port of this monitor. Stay away from those cheap manual hdmi switchers that sells on ebay, some didn't work for me.

You guys should check out the Joytech hdmi switcher that buy.com sells for $30. I have this device connecting my pc and xbox360 premium thru the hdmi connection of the great Hanns G monitor and it works flawlessly. I was using both connections on the rear of the monitor and having to use the side buttons to switch connections was a pain. The switcher also comes with a ir extender and remote for easy switching and the xbox360 looks much brighter connected thru the hdmi instead of that analog port of this monitor. Stay away from those cheap manual hdmi switchers that sells on ebay, some didn't work for me.

I have the same HDMI switcher and I highly recommend it. Make sure you get HDMI to DVI cables, and not HDMI to DVI adapters. I have 3 adapters, and sometimes they don't work right due to contacts and such, but switched over to cables and have not had a problem since. Monoprice.com is where you should start your search for cheap cables.

newster,

I can hear the video playing the actual visual part just is not showing up. It even plays through the VGA cable. It is only when I have the DVI->HDMI cable does it not display video properly.

I bought an HDMI switch from monoprice for only $20... its decent quality too. No electronics inside so you dont have to worry about handshake issues either.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/s.../DVI+Switch+and+Converter&keyword=hdmi switch

I dont use it anymore because I am using an onkyo reciever so i can have both my pc and 360 connected to the same screen AND speaker system.

Heres the settings that gave me the best picture quality

Nvidia Control Panel
Brightess: 50%
Digital Vibrance: 0%
Contrast 45%
Image Sharpening: 0%
Gamma: 25%

Hardware
Brightness: 45
Contrast: 53
Color Setting: User
R: 100
G: 100
B: 98

That manual push button hdmi switcher worked for you? I tried several and all I would get is a black screen when I switched it to the computer screen. Maybe that one that you purchased is better quality than those that sell for around $20 on ebay. How does your xbox look with those settings? Mine is pretty dark when I adjust the brightness and contrast lower than 45. And windows appears dark when I set the gamma down to 25. I did purchase that hdmi cable that Newster mentioned and this setup is working great for me.
On another note, has anyone noticed or having a problem with the power cable easy coming unseated and loose on this monitor? I had to take one back to Bestbuy because of that problem and I noticed my present one is sort of loose too when the power cable is touched.

The monitor will power on when it's loosely plugged in. Make sure it's actually all the way in there.

Yeah making sure its in there is the easy part, I'm a little worried about the longivity of the design for the power cable plug in. Even though its pushed all the way up and in, the connection port appears to easily disconnect from the power cable, or worst, it would short out and loose power like my first one did.

Maybe we just had a bad batch at our local Bestbuy, mine would make a clicking noise then turn itself off and no matter how for you push the cord up and in, it would want to fall out. The geek squad guys plug it up to their computer at the store at it was shorting out there too.

newster,

I can hear the video playing the actual visual part just is not showing up. It even plays through the VGA cable. It is only when I have the DVI->HDMI cable does it not display video properly.

I had the same no-video problem, when playing videos in Media player.

So I right-clicked on the desktop and went into:
/Display properties/settings/advanced/troubleshoot/hardware acceleration.
And pulled the control left a little below 100%. This fixed the video so it works.
I guess my video card was running out of memory for acceleration, since this display has so many pixels at 1920x1200 ?

This monitor is fantastic & freaking huge -- I am not picky about bleeding, it has no stuck pixels Ive seen yet, and when I turn down the brightness to 40 it doesn't leave a burn pattern behind my head on the wall !!!

Also- I had a lot of trouble getting it to take a HDMI digital input. Im pretty sure this was fixed in \display props\ by going to \settings\advanced\ATI Displays\ and making sure the "FPD" flat panel icon had a green left corner (ON). I think this turns on the DVI output of my ATI video card. Need more pepsi.

The HDMI input seems slightly better than the VGA input, which is pretty good with a good cable screwed in tightly. The VGA didn't have any ghosting once I stopped using an old thin bad monitor cord with lousy ground shield. The ghosting was really bad if using 2 cords in series, they were cheap cords too.

Can somebody give me some links with reviews of this monitor? I looked at it and it seemed very very cheap for its size.

Some questions:

1) Is it a TN or a VA Panel?
2) How is the Interpolation?
3) How are the colours in comparison to for example the LG 245WH or the Benq WZ?

THX

Just bought one today at Best Buy. Huge! (Hopefully it Stays That Way :p)

Color is respectable. Haven't really done any hardcore testing. I'm about to play a game or two to test it some more. Color seems decent, but can't really tell, as my copy of photoshop is broken. Overall, I'm really happy. I can't find any dead pixels, and it works well with HDMI both with my computer and a HDMI DVD Player.

Settings are whatever is on my computer, and 25 brightness and 54 contrast on the panel. I need to run the calibrator on my computer, too.

For now, this monitor is looking really impressive. When it's in a room where it's the largest LCD, surrounded by a 20" crt tv, a 15" laptop, a 19" LCD and 2 17" LCD's, it really makes a statement. It's only on 25 brightness, and still is very impressive. After running a few more tests, I've found no dead pixels, and the panel is very sharp and quick. It has worked well in BF2 at 16x12 resolution, (the highest battlefield supprts), and runs world in conflict well on low settings, but that's my computers issue...
It isn't great for movie's straight out of a computer, but that's what a HD DVD player is for, right? ;) Colors are very bright, and levels are within tolerance. I haven't been around a high end monitor for a long time, so I'm not sure how good the colors are, but there are no glaring defects that I can see. Overall, I think it is a worthy upgrade from my dual 22" LCD's. I'm glad I didn't settle with a 24", on paper, it doesn't look like much of a difference, but in person at the store, this one made all the 24's next to it look small...
While this monitor may still be 1-200 dollars more expensive than a 24" monitor, it is certainly 3-400 cheaper than a 30" monitor. For me, it was worth it. It looks huge and works well, and It's great having all that extra screen space, compared to my 15" laptop screen I was stuck with through winter break.
Still... I think a second one may be in my future... :D

Mike,

Thanks for the suggestion, moving the acceleration down brought my video back. Have any ideas about why turning off the monitor and then turning it back on when using a DVI -> HDMI cable would result in the monitor showing "no signal." I have to replug in the HDMI to get the monitor to display the screen again.

Well after days of tweaking the best settings I've found so far are:

Monitor:

Brightness: 40
Contrast: 55
Color Settings - User
R: 100
G: 100
B: 98

8800GT settings:

Brightness: 60%
Digital Vibrance: 20%
Contrast: 70%
Gamma: 70%

Everything else just made it way, way too dark. This seems perfect to my eyes though I must admit I'm no color guru, my main concern was getting the monitor to not be so dark and showing differences in whites.

How does this monitor look@ 1280x768? I use this rez for most of my games for performance reasons. I would sit about 3 feet away from the screen being 27 inches.

rodman-

I can try to give 1280x768 a shot on the Hanns a little later tonight, once I kick my family off it - It's currently serving double duty as a TV.

Was there anything specific you wanted to see on it?

I have a couple games, BF2, Oblivion, World In Conflict...

Let me know.

If I don't hear from you by the time I get to taking pics, I'll probably do a shot of the desktop, and BF2.

-ST-

rodman-

sorry, but I didn't have time to post the pic before bed, I'll post it tomorrow morning. All I have is a shot of the windows desktop. The monitor is not stretching the image to fill the entire screen and there are black bars at the top and bottom, like a widescreen movie. The image is true, not stretched out or anything, but it doesn't fill the whole screen either.

Funny... on my mac when I select 1280x768, the image stretches to fill the entire screen. Difference in OS's I guess...

-ST-

Funny... on my mac when I select 1280x768, the image stretches to fill the entire screen. Difference in OS's I guess..
My nVidia drivers have various options to control scaling. The Mac does not have this? It would seem odd since Apples are big with the graphics crowd (supposedly) and I don't see a professional graphics artist tolerating an abnormally stretched image.

I don't know why it is scaling to fill on my Mac. It's something I'll have to look into. One culprit I would suspect is Apple's drivers. There is no ATI or Nividia control panel for the Mac,

Also, 1280x768 is rather a funny screen resolution to be running at. The OP asked for shots of this screen res for gaming quality purposes. I would think that most graphics and design pros would be using the native resolution of whatever monitor they bought. I'd also assume they'd have the hardware to run it.

My two cents. Anyway...

Here's what the Apple OS control panel looks like.

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/9928/picture1zg4.png

Anyway, Here is the monitor running on my PC at 1280x768

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/7918/pc290002hx1.jpg

And Here's the monitor running on my mac at 1280x960. (Sorry, no 1280x768 option.)

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/8503/pc290004vi5.jpg

I'll be gone this morning and part of this afternoon, so I won't be able to post more pics till I get back.

Hope this helps.

-ST-

Found the reason it's scaling on the Mac!
Under the control panel, under the tab on the right called options, there is a page called TV output. There's a button labeled overscan. If that is checked, the image scales to fill the screen. If it is unchecked, the image shrinks, and there are black bars on all four sides of the image.

Interesting.

Is that because this monitor is HDMI to DVI? Can anyone on Windows find this setting?

Does it happen on Analog?

Thanks

-ST-

scarredtaka, yes I would like a few gaming shots, COD4 would be nice. I was most interested in this rez becouse right now I use 1280x768 on my 2232bw, being 22 inches the resolution does not look grainy, have blurry text or anything. I would like 1280x800 but the new nvidia drivers do not have the option anymore. As long as gaming and internet look good at that rez I may give this monitor a go. I find the native rez to shrink text and icons too much so I like the larger look. Games do not run as smooth (at 60fps 24/7) at higher rez esp the new ones, though they do look better they run slow at times. I'm not even going to tell you how bad Crysis runs at 1680x1050, lol. I can post some screens of COD4 on my monitor at 1280x768 with 4xAA and I think you will agree it looks pretty sweet.

If you have a Nvidia card on the Windows pc just go to the control panel and under screen options you can select how you want the image displayed. I use "let my monitor do the scaling" and everything looks great. There are 3 other options inclusing letting Nvidia do the scaling but it's not as good as having the monitor doing it. There is also 1 to 1.

I think my monitor actually only runs like 3ms so I don't think the diff between the 2 will be that great. COD4 multiplayer would look sooooo sweet@27inches:D

sorry, I do not have COD4 or Crysis. I might be able to dig up the crysis demo though.
I also do not have Nividia. I'm using a ATI X1600.

Sorry, no Crysis Demo. My laptop is sick, and one of the things it doesn't like to do is mount my external USB Hard Drives.

I can give BF2 a shot though.

Also I should be able to do Oblivion.

-ST-

Thanks for the info guys. I'm considering this monitor as an upgrade from my 24" Dell and am looking for all the info I can find on the Hanns-G HG-281DJB from Best Buy.

Has anyone posted an ICS for this monitor yet? Mine seems very blue, and very light on green...

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Quick question - What's the difference between the HG281DPB-R and the HG-281DJB besides the stand? Anyone know?

As far as I know, there is no difference between the two besides the stand.
One of them offers height adjustment, and the other one doesn't.
I own the DJB Model, which has height adjustment,
The DPB model only tilts and swivels.

-ST-

Sold my 2405 Dell this morning for $400 and bought the Hans-G from Best Buy just now. HUGE to say the least. Seems like the perfect size. I have two stuck pixels (in the same place) out of the box. Both are in the upper corner. One came out just by rubbing it but the other is stuck on Green. I'm running UDPixel to try to get it unstuck. Wish me luck. :D

Sold my 2405 Dell this morning for $400 and bought the Hans-G from Best Buy just now. HUGE to say the least. Seems like the perfect size. I have two stuck pixels (in the same place) out of the box. Both are in the upper corner. One came out just by rubbing it but the other is stuck on Green. I'm running UDPixel to try to get it unstuck. Wish me luck. :D

Just take it back to BB and ask them for another. And next time, before you leave the store, take it to the geek squad and ask them to fire it up for you.

Note - not my idea - read that from someone earlier in this thread. -- thought it was a good idea.

Just take it back to BB and ask them for another. And next time, before you leave the store, take it to the geek squad and ask them to fire it up for you.

What's bad is that I did just that very thing. Showed fine in the store but had the dead pixels when I got it home. :( Just my typical luck. Bad thing is I had to drive about 75 miles to the nearest BB that had it in stock. :rolleyes:

I did not see anyone mention this, but using this monitor with multiple inputs just sucks. I would just get the viewsonic instead if you are OK with TN panels.

Since it has automatic signal detection (at least with the model from best buy) if you have this hooked to a PC, and an xbox 360 or some other console, after you switch to the console input (like 5 menu buttons pushes - which is stupid) if you reboot the console for any reason, it automatically switches back to the computer on HDMI. Really annoying.. So you have to turn the console back on and switch with the 5 buttons again! and if you reboot the console again you have to repeat.

I know you can power the screen off, then when you turn it on if it sees two sources you can push the button to switch to the source you want, still annoying.

The viewsonic 28" with TN panel will stay on whatever input you choose, till you manually switch it.

I saw no where in the menu to turn off automatic detection on the inputs.

Anyone use this monitor@ 1280x768/800 for gaming? If so, pics please:)

Why would you want to game using 1280x768? From the looks of your specs in your sig you should be gaming at full 1920x1200 resolution. Crysis maybe?

I got the Hanns-G 28" with adjustable height at Best Buy and I am impressed. It really is a great monitor for the price. I play COD4, UT3, Stalker, Gears Of War and they look great at 1920 x 1200. At first, some may say it's too big etc but, not really. You really get used to the size that it nots that big. Gaming is more fun when its on a large screen monitor as you feel immersed in the game. I came from a 22" and a 24" and felt it still wasn't big enough.

I appologize if this was already asked but, how are the angles on this monitor , is it as bad as they say?... ive been fretting over getting this monitor because of its size and price but right now i have a non tn panel dell...would i be hurting myself by going from a non tn to a tn panel?

Back