Got my Sharp Aquos LC-32GP1U "Gaming" 1080p display today!

hi all in the toronto area,i have been looking for the 32GP1u for 2 weeks now,saw it at Baybloor radio for 1699 but i live in the west end so today i did a little trip that included Sears,The Bay,2001AV and Futureshop,nobody had it in stock,on a wim i went to Trutone Electronics on Dundas W in mississauga and they had it listed as 1598,asked rep what his best price was and picked it up for 1458can,still in the box as we had visitors but if your intrested ask for Iggy,cheers.

dj6518

I'm glad to hear that your diligence has paid off! I do hope you enjoy the display!

- Fred

Anybody shopped at uBid before?
Is it a good place to go for my wish GP1u?
Let me know please

UBid sells alot of Store Returns and Manufacturer Refurbished stuff

That does not mean anything is wrong with it
I have bought a few things fro UBid over the years and they have all looked and worked like New.
What is the link on UBid for the GP1u

UBid sells alot of Store Returns and Manufacturer Refurbished stuff

That does not mean anything is wrong with it
I have bought a few things fro UBid over the years and they have all looked and worked like New.
What is the link on UBid for the GP1u

Well so I think Macmall is better in someways. I was almost to order from Ubid last week. The 32GP1u is only 1160+51 S&H. Sadly, that deal is over.
Should we go for Macmall? Still in stock!

Hmmm my display developed a dead pixel... This is my second unit and it didn't have the dead pixel when I exchanged my old one for this one over 2 months ago... Its quite small and hard to notice unless against a bright background, does anyone here who owns one these also having a similar experience?

- Fred

Who knows... Its not like any probable competitors to sit on the side lines allowing one member of their competition to dominate a specific level of the market...

I just got my Aquos today and have a major problem. My MacBook's output states that the resolution is 1920x1080 (Interlaced), but the Aquos says 1080p (1080i in one of the settings). Does the MacBook's integrated chip not output 1080p?

I'm using a DVI to HDMI cable.

Aside from this, the image quality is mediocre compared to the 2407. I was expecting superior colors, but other than the deeper blacks and more consistent backlighting, the Aquos right now looks far inferior in Windows XP and downright nasty in OS X. HD-DVDs also look less detailed and blurrier.

As suggested by AV forum, my settings are as follows:

User Mode:

Backlight: -3
Contrast: +35
Brightness: -12
Color: -5
Tint: -3
Sharpness: -4

User Mode > Advanced:

Color Temp: Middle
Black: On

In Options:

Turn digital noise reduction to :Low.

When I try to use SuperCal (Mac OS X) to calibrate the display, I can't even get past the 2nd step because the colors do not match!

Does anyone have the 37" Gaming LCD connected to a Xbox 360? I have the HD DVD player also but I need a way to connect the HD VGA Xbox cable to the Aquos to get 1080P movies. Not enough room to get a VGA to DVI converter and the Xbox VGA cable connected because the area around the DVD connection on the TV has limited space.
I was wondering how anyone out there has their 360 connected to get 1080P movies out of the HD DVD player. Thanks.

wolfie

Is my Aquos running in 1080i? The picture now looks fairly nice in OS X after some serious calibration. XP looks a bit better to my eyes. I know that XP is running at 1080p, and The Polar Express in HD looks fantastic.

OS X states that my resolution is 1080i, but the Aquos detects the signal as 1080p, and the overall image quality is comparable to XP in 1080p. I don't know what to believe. :confused:

Aquos_01.jpg

I finally got my replacement from Sharp. There are 3 stuck pixels instead of 10+, but i'm much more happier. They are in places that are really hard to notice.

Also, before I do research, does anyone know why colors such as red, or dark blue appear so blurry on dark backgrounds?

Honestly I cannot see having a computer monitor larger than 24 inches, is a larger monitor really worth it?
What kind of graphics card or cards are you driving that thing with?

How do you like using this thing for windows and gaming???

I use the Radeon x1950 Pro. It seems to runs games pretty well. I've mainly played Everquest 2(not anymore) and counter-strike: source on it. I get great FPS in CSS, and EQ2 depends on where I am, because that game demands a lot anyway.

I thought it looked too big at first, but you get used to it fast. I sit like any normal person would at a computer desk, and it doesn't bother me at all. Now, maybe a 37" would be too much, but 32 seems to be great.

With a 24" LCD, you are forced to sit within a few feet of the display if you're viewing fine details. With 32" or 37" display, you have the luxury of sitting as close or as far as you please. Gaming and viewing movies with a larger screen are really engrossing experiences.

P.S. I have two stuck pixels, one of them near the center (2/3rd of the way up from center and 2" to the right). Should I exchange it? I really don't want to and am hoping that I get accustomed to the flaws. Hauling this 53lb package to the store is not my idea of fun.

Also, Applebook, try these settings to see if you like it better for PC use. This is what I use.

OPC: Off
Backlight: +5
Contrast: +30
Brightness: +0
Color: -5
Tint: 0
Sharpness: -5
Color Temp: Mid-Low
Enhanced Blacks: Off

Also, 2 stuck pixels aren't bad. I have 3, but I don't even notice them unless i purposely use a black window that fills the whole screen.

I doubt it is...It isn't available in Australia till late November, and the tech guy was like..heck and by late November they really mean early march.

Kind of bugged about that, so I'm using https://www.mbex.net/services-onetime-trial.asp (NOT SPAMMING THE COMPANY!!!) to get it to me over in Australia. I am now really speculating which one to get though, 32 or 37 :(..I'm going to be paying a lot, so why not pay a little more eh..

The 37 is on eBay for a decent amount, and it ships worldwide which is pretty good. I was originally going to post asking if it works in Australian Voltage (240V AC) but then I found out I could use a transformer, which I was thinking I'd have to do anyway.

Hi guys. Fantastic Thread, thx to all the contributors thus far.

I have a question directed towards PC users playing older content. I plan to do a fair bit of 'old-school' pc gaming, mostly 4:3 content from the last 3-4 years. Some of these titles are tweakable via the .cfg files for resolution and FOV, and a few offer no widescreen support at all.

I'm wondering a few things:

1. With a 16:9 display, am I going to have to do even more tweaking of older titles, such as games that run on the Quake 3 engine, than I would on a regular PC 16:10 widescreen display? Will it be an even greater hassle?

2. How will games that offer no widescreen support, such as Starcraft, look on this monitor? Can I assume that older 4:3 titles will stretch out to fill the entire screen, or will I have the option of playing the game pillar-boxed (black bars on the side)?

3. On that note, how do lower resolutions, such as 1024x768, look on this display? (your totally subjective opinions are welcome! )

PS...Applebook...that screenshot of your macbook hooked up the 32" Sharp looks very cool! How is the native resolution working out for you?

I read the manual today, it's available on the Shap-usa.com website

To answer your question regarding info in the manual

A) you can play in 4:3 with black bars
B) you can let it stretch it to 16:9 for you

I can't answer how lower resolutions look, but I'm assuming that it has pretty effective stretching techniques, in all..it's best you have a read through the manual so you can gain some information while waiting for someone to reply :)

Is my Aquos running in 1080i? The picture now looks fairly nice in OS X after some serious calibration. XP looks a bit better to my eyes. I know that XP is running at 1080p, and The Polar Express in HD looks fantastic.

OS X states that my resolution is 1080i, but the Aquos detects the signal as 1080p, and the overall image quality is comparable to XP in 1080p. I don't know what to believe. :confused:

Aquos_01.jpg

When I plugged my Macbook Pro into this display when I had it, it also gave me odd results. OS X would say 1080i, and in order to get the picture to fill the screen I had to check a certain checkbox in the display properties (forget what it was called, but from the name it seemed unnecessary). Once I got it set, it looked okay, but it still bothered me that it was such a sloppy implementation.

Correct me if I am wrong but lcd's like the westy and the sharp were not designed as computer monitors no? perhaps gaming for consoles but not computer monitors? I see you have a laptop attached to it, im sure that laptop doesnt have a very powerful graphics card to be driving such a large monitor.

Well, it does have DVI for a reason and the option to rename your input to "PC" when switching inputs :p

I mean, it's not INTENDED to be a dedicated PC Monitor, but I'm sure making it out to be.

I thinking about buying and planning to use this sharp as a computer monitor. I will be do some gaming and mostly surf the web. Would your guys think I should pick this up or the 24" LG? If I decided to buy this "Gamer edition", does it come with a dvi cable?

I read the manual today, it's available on the Shap-usa.com website

To answer your question regarding info in the manual

A) you can play in 4:3 with black bars
B) you can let it stretch it to 16:9 for you

I can't answer how lower resolutions look, but I'm assuming that it has pretty effective stretching techniques, in all..it's best you have a read through the manual so you can gain some information while waiting for someone to reply :)

Thanks for the heads up! That's good news. I will take a look at the manual .PDF and see what I can dig up. Also, thisrocks, nice to see you on the AVS forum for this display too. Definitely a good idea to get all the info we can, eh? If you end up buying it, please let me know how you get on.

I mean, it's not INTENDED to be a dedicated PC Monitor, but I'm sure making it out to be.

I think this may be one of the underlying causes for the split in opinion over this display. Were it exclusively meant for PC use, the discussion would range exclusively around issues like resolution, response time, etc, but many of the issues coming up seem to stem from the TV aspects of this display. Granted, some of the former issues I mentioned are still there to be examined, but since Sharp seemed to be gearing this display toward the console crowd it looks like once again us PC enthusiasts are left to deal with the many incongruities Sharp never really took care to totally provide for. I'm definitely still interested in this display for use a PC gaming monitor however, and would really love to hear more feedback from users out there.

3. On that note, how do lower resolutions, such as 1024x768, look on this display? (your totally subjective opinions are welcome! )

PS...Applebook...that screenshot of your macbook hooked up the 32" Sharp looks very cool! How is the native resolution working out for you?

I think SDTV looks awful, but that's just me because I've yet to see an HDTV over 30" that displays SD well.

Now that I've calibrated the display and have gotten 1080p to work (at first I was running interlaced!), desktop use is fantastic, but nothing beats watching 1080p, 720p, or even DVD movies. I don't expand DVD and 720p but rather just leave them dot-by-dot and sit closer. The Incredibles 720p and Happy Feet 720p look stunning, better to me than 1080p on the Dell and LG 24 inchers that I had.

Correct me if I am wrong but lcd's like the westy and the sharp were not designed as computer monitors no? perhaps gaming for consoles but not computer monitors? I see you have a laptop attached to it, im sure that laptop doesnt have a very powerful graphics card to be driving such a large monitor.

AFAIK, the size of the monitor is irrelevant for GPU power. What is key are the actual number of pixels being rendered. I'd never use my MacBook to game at 1920 resolution. That's what my 8800GTS is for ;)

Resolution has more to do with it than size. The GP1U is the only 32" lcd tv that does 1080p so if you had a 720p 32" tv versus a 1920x1200 24" lcd monitor, the video card has more work to do with the 24" lcd monitor than the 32" tv.

I think SDTV looks awful, but that's just me because I've yet to see an HDTV over 30" that displays SD well.

Now that I've calibrated the display and have gotten 1080p to work (at first I was running interlaced!), desktop use is fantastic, but nothing beats watching 1080p, 720p, or even DVD movies. I don't expand DVD and 720p but rather just leave them dot-by-dot and sit closer. The Incredibles 720p and Happy Feet 720p look stunning, better to me than 1080p on the Dell and LG 24 inchers that I had.

That's great to hear. I noticed that in your desktop picture the folders seem to look slightly bigger than average, possibly due to the 1920x1080 being displayed on a large 32" canvas. I've got a 23" display with 1920x1200 native resolution, and I've had to turn up the DPI and fonts to compensate, so the possibility of larger pixels actually sounds good to me.

BTW - may I ask what wallpaper you're using? I'd love to try it out on my Powerbook G4. Also, are you using cleardock?

Resolution has more to do with it than size .... if you had a 720p 32" tv versus a 1920x1200 24" lcd monitor, the video card has more work to do with the 24" lcd ......
Yes, you are correct .... the more pixels an LCD has (for same size screen) the higherr its Rez and the harder the card has to work.
For example compare again, a 32" 1080P monitor and a 32" 720P monitor.

The 32" 1080P is a "1920x1080 Rez" monitor.
It has 1,080 horizontal rows of pixels (stacked one above the other) and each row is 1,920 pixels long.
This "premium-rez" monitor costs more and needs a quality video card.

A 32" 720P LCD Is a "1366X720 Rez" monitor. It has 720 horizontal rows of pixels and each row is 1366 pixels long,
This "same size but lower-rez" monitor costs less and can do OK on a budget card.
(The old story.... "U get wot u pay for").

Don't misread what I wrote. I clearly stated that the size of the pixels is unimportant.

You do realize that there are 50" TVs out there with 640x480 resolution, right? Would a gaming PC have problems running on that? Of course not. My point was that a 32" or a 100-foot TV with the same resolution as a 24" LCD will not tax the GPU more than the 24."

Many thanks applebook, I had a feeling it was hiding somewhere in the depths of Interfacelift, but I got lazy and decided to ask you here.;)

One other question I have...Sometimes it takes a while to get adjusted to new displays and learn their ins and outs. I was wondering, has your experience with this display shown you anything that wasn't really apparent the first couple of days you had it? Do you have any other thoughts on this display in terms of gaming, desktop use or television that only personal experience could bring?

One problem that has already been pointed out is that OFC cannot be turned off even though there is a setting to disable it! However, if you set the OFC range to its least divergent settings, then you might not notice it much. I rarely see it unless I'm viewing a movie and also changing web pages at the same time: flipping between a dark and a bright background will cause slight changes to the movie's brightness, contrast, and color settings.

Also, this display's image is SHARP. Artifacts and ugliness that lesser LCDs mask because they lack the ability to reproduce deep detail are shown very clearly on the Aquos. Films that have lots of noise and banding will be very obvious. This is not a problem to me though because "garbage in" = "garbage out." If the source looks great, then the Aquos will show it.

Big hint: Look at your TV's specs for resolution. You will find that 1080i is not listed, but 1080p is. Thats right, it cant do interlaced. The TV will automatically take the 1080i signal make it into progressive.
;)
(PS I do support over the phone for Sharp. Not on the Aquos, but I still know a thing or two about em)

Back