GPU array is so heavy it snapped all PCIe clips

TekRok

2[H]4U
So I changed some things around with my WC loop, and ended up with a very heavy brick of 4 R9 290 video cards. All cards have metal backplates along with full copper waterblocks, tied together to a bridge. The damn thing is so heavy it broke off every single PCIe clips.

Should I be worried about the clips or forget about it?

The PCI-E spec states slot should be able to support 3.3 pounds, how heavy are your cards?

I would just make sure they are seated in the slots properly, you don't want a short...

1st world problems I swear .... :)

I wouldn't worry about it, clips are overrated unless you lug it around to LANs.

I have been out of the game a long time so forgive me, I will try to imagine what happened. If you want to brace four cards sticking out of your motherboard just get a metal strap from lowes or home depot and bolt it into the case across the cards(the surface pointing out of the case). You will need to devise a way to attach the cards to the strap perhaps some sort of stud coming off the waterblock that has an equivalent hole in the strap. Once the strap is bolted in with the studs poking through the weight of the cards will be supported by the strap and the whole thing will be solid as a rock.

Is any of this understandable?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson-...EC-_-NavPLPHorizontal1-1-_-NA-_-100374859-_-N

Cut to size, drill your holes to match the studs on the cards and bolt into the case at the ends. Use a flat head screw thats flush with the lip so you can still get your door on. If you cut it right the screw will just hold the strap in place as the weight will be born by the bottom of the case where the strap and case meet.

Last edited:
String to the top of the case? Maybe the CD drive bay?

that or some PVC or something you can wedge between the bottom of the GPU's to to the case below it.

All you need is a card keeper.
Go tp performance-pcs.com, case parts, card keepers.

Install 4 of them as directed. Winning.

Interesting problem

I have never experienced something like this. Granted I've never done quad fire with water blocks. I have done crossfire under water with 7950's. I have a single R9-290x under water now.

The cards get little support from the PCI-E slots. Most of the support comes from the case in the terms of the dual slot mounting on the expansion slot covers. With 2 screws installed I've never really experienced the gpu sagging or putting much stress on the motherboard.

If you needed more support then you could just make a stand from the bottom of the case to the bottom card and then put spacers between the cards to support them as well. The clips are more for making sure the expansion card stays in its slot and connected when moving the computer around mostly for OEMS and shipping.

Back