GTA IV and Far Cry 2

montana

Weaksauce
I don't have much time for games any more but I am finding these to be pretty good. The thing I am most blown away with is the fact that I have such a great degree of freedom. I am finding the GTA IV multiplayer to be a huge breath of fresh air compared to the restrictive, tiny map based games that dominate PC gaming. Both of the online multiplayer in these games is outstanding. You can actual take your time, be stealthy, hide behind structures, etc.

GTA IV has multiplayer? Why have I not heard anything about this? What's it like?

I'm currently playing through 'Stalker:SoC'. It's got a similar open-ended style, but does feel restrictive nonetheless. The loading screens between areas is annoying too. Does GTA IV or FarCry2 have annoying loading screens?

GTA IV has multiplayer? Why have I not heard anything about this? What's it like?

YOU HAVE BEEN MISSING OUT.

lol That's honestly my favorite part of GTA4 with exceptions of angry 12 year old filled games. They have a bunch of modes, but the most popular seems to be Team Deathmatch. I think it's what, up to 4 teams? That with a shit ton of players just waging urban warfare in the entire city, no holds barred is some good mayhem. Pedestrians and cops can get caught in the crossfire and makes for some seriously cool situations.

I remember a time where there was this huge street and we had two teams split across form each other on either ends, all loaded up into some 4 door cars and we just all just kept joust charging each other and it was absolutely silly but such a blast.

GTA IV multiplayer can really be some epic and wild fun at times. :)

GTA4 is fun, for a few hours, then it gets repetitive and pointless imo

GTA4 is fun, for a few hours, then it gets repetitive and pointless imo

No, that's Far Cry 2 you just described perfectly.

At least in GTA IV you can actually have a meaningful impact in the world you play in and you actually have variety to what you do, how you do it, and where.

There's actually a POINT in doing something in that game unlike Far Cry 2.

In Far Cry 2 you operate in a goregous tech demo glass bubble where nothing you do matters. You can't even fire a bullet and have a hole in the wall.

Enemies, foliage, landscape, EVERYTHING respawns into infinity. In Far Cry 2, there really is no point in doing anything in the game.

I've never seen a more successful attempt at a game that completely is "anti-incentive."

It's a gorgeous tech demo, but that's all it is. I can't even call that thing a game with a straight face.

This isn't even a decision: GTA IV > Far Cry 2 all the way. Not even remotely close.

I can't beleive how good GTA IV multi is. It's bringing back the sense of excitement and adventure that I got with TFC, and then BF 1942. In those games, you felt like you could do anything. GTA IV is not always non-stop action, but when things happen, they can be incredibly epic. That combined with the freedom is something else. Kinda got me back into gaming again.

Is GTA IV on pc not broken anymore? I may finally pick it up now that it's dirt cheap, if the memory issues have been cleared up.

I tried to get into Far Cry 2...yeah didn't work out. Too slow. I didn't like how I had to travel halfway across the map to get to my next mission. Then on the way there I constantly get jumped by a bunch of assholes in SUVs. Sadly fun was no where to be found.

Is GTA IV on pc not broken anymore? I may finally pick it up now that it's dirt cheap, if the memory issues have been cleared up.

You missed the $7.50 deal last week! I just started playing it and it is a lot of fun. Can't wait to jump into some multi player.

You missed the $7.50 deal last week! I just started playing it and it is a lot of fun. Can't wait to jump into some multi player.

If I had bought GTA4 for $7.50 would I be able to play it on my CPU here I bought new in 2008? I just don't see 7.50 a deal if I have to upgrade my cpu to be able to play. I gotta be careful about upgrading hardware for poorly coded games. Last month I upgraded my GPU to be able to play Red Faction Gurella and right after that they issued a patch that broke multiplayer for me. I thought I had a bargain for getting RF at 50 percent off but really I was screwed in the bum for buying a new game+new GPU for a game where multiplayer only worked for 2 days until they released the patch of doom. Bottom line is, make sure your game doesn't have shitty code before you consider buying, cause if it has shitty coding you will probably be wasting a lot of money which also translates into wasted time. (time is money)

Meh, $7.50 to have it available in your steam list (even if you dont install it for 5 months) is still worth it, I think.

If I had bought GTA4 for $7.50 would I be able to play it on my CPU here I bought new in 2008? I just don't see 7.50 a deal if I have to upgrade my cpu to be able to play. I gotta be careful about upgrading hardware for poorly coded games. Last month I upgraded my GPU to be able to play Red Faction Gurella and right after that they issued a patch that broke multiplayer for me. I thought I had a bargain for getting RF at 50 percent off but really I was screwed in the bum for buying a new game+new GPU for a game where multiplayer only worked for 2 days until they released the patch of doom. Bottom line is, make sure your game doesn't have shitty code before you consider buying, cause if it has shitty coding you will probably be wasting a lot of money which also translates into wasted time. (time is money)

If that 2.3GHz X2 in your sig is correct then yeah, it probably won't run all that well (it is a slow CPU by todays standards, no getting past it). GTA4 isn't a great port (although to be fair a decent PC will run it more smoothly and with better visuals than X360/PS3 version) but "shitty coding" is just the voice of ignorance. Honestly, people want progress in one breath and complain about needing newer hardware with the next.

I saw the deal on Steam, but I have a some store credit for Walmart I've been sitting on and it's only $16 there. So the verdict is that the pc version has been patched and works properly, but it still cripples computers, so a quad core and 4870/GTX260 or better is recommended to play at 1920x1080? I'm still using a E2200 at 3.1 and a 9600GT, so I'll probably just continue to hold off. I'm sure GTA V will be out by the time my rig is up to speed.

I enjoyed both of these games, dispite the enormous amount of hate for FC2.

I still haven't tried the multiplayer for either of these, though. Just because of the bizzare login systems you have to set up to get into them. I really don't want to have to use WfWL - why can't they just make GTA4's multiplayer work in steam like a normal game?? :p

I gotta be careful about upgrading hardware for poorly coded games. Last month I upgraded my GPU to be able to play Red Faction Gurella and right after that they issued a patch that broke multiplayer for me. I thought I had a bargain for getting RF at 50 percent off but really I was screwed in the bum for buying a new game+new GPU for a game where multiplayer only worked for 2 days until they released the patch of doom.

Couldn't you just reinstall the game and skip the patch the second time around?

ZodaEX said:
Bottom line is, make sure your game doesn't have shitty code before you consider buying, cause if it has shitty coding you will probably be wasting a lot of money which also translates into wasted time. (time is money)

Or (after reading your post) don't buy any games because future patches might break certain features or make the game worse. :p

But like rincewind said, you can't place the blame on shitty coding just because a game might not run well with certain hardware. No amount of un-shitty coding would make Crysis or GTA IV run well on a P4 with 256MB of RAM and an old AGP 64MB card. Sometimes you just have to pay to play.

I'm not saying that shitty coding doesn't exist, of course. It does. Sadly, even on consoles where the code should always be the most optimized due to only having to program for ONE hardware configuration and no variables. Yet some games just don't run that well, whether it be due to poor optimization or goals that are too lofty for the given hardware.

I enjoyed both of these games, dispite the enormous amount of hate for FC2.

I still haven't tried the multiplayer for either of these, though. Just because of the bizzare login systems you have to set up to get into them. I really don't want to have to use WfWL - why can't they just make GTA4's multiplayer work in steam like a normal game?? :p

Good point. Getting to the GTA IV multiplayer is a PITA.

I saw the deal on Steam, but I have a some store credit for Walmart I've been sitting on and it's only $16 there. So the verdict is that the pc version has been patched and works properly, but it still cripples computers, so a quad core and 4870/GTX260 or better is recommended to play at 1920x1080? I'm still using a E2200 at 3.1 and a 9600GT, so I'll probably just continue to hold off. I'm sure GTA V will be out by the time my rig is up to speed.

I have a Q9400 with a 9800 GT 1gb and the game runs fine. I keep it at 1280x800 though for the smoothest play online. Seems the online FPS takes some hits. I use 1920x1200(or whatever it is) in single player mode.

In the benchmarks I get 33 FPs average with at 1900x1200 and like 58 FPS average with 1280x800. The game looks great in any resolution in my opinion. Oh, and I have everything set to high, high textures, high view, everything.

I have a Q9400 with a 9800 GT 1gb and the game runs fine. I keep it at 1280x800 though for the smoothest play online. Seems the online FPS takes some hits. I use 1920x1200(or whatever it is) in single player mode.

In the benchmarks I get 33 FPs average with at 1900x1200 and like 58 FPS average with 1280x800. The game looks great in any resolution in my opinion. Oh, and I have everything set to high, high textures, high view, everything.

Thanks. I'm worried that this game is more cpu dependent, but I'll give it a try. I don't really mind playing at lower than native resolutions either.

Couldn't you just reinstall the game and skip the patch the second time around?

Or (after reading your post) don't buy any games because future patches might break certain features or make the game worse. :p

But like rincewind said, you can't place the blame on shitty coding just because a game might not run well with certain hardware. No amount of un-shitty coding would make Crysis or GTA IV run well on a P4 with 256MB of RAM and an old AGP 64MB card. Sometimes you just have to pay to play.

I'm not saying that shitty coding doesn't exist, of course. It does. Sadly, even on consoles where the code should always be the most optimized due to only having to program for ONE hardware configuration and no variables. Yet some games just don't run that well, whether it be due to poor optimization or goals that are too lofty for the given hardware.

Ok I figured out the problem with Red Faction Gurella. The New 1.01 patch will not install on the steam version of the game without some very advanced path modifying tricks and work arounds, so I fixed my problem by getting my RF CD-key from steam, then I downloaded Implulse and re downloaded the game threw that, and the game was allready pre-patched to version 1.01 so I never even had to try and run the patch that borks the steam version of the game. For some reason if you download the game from steam it only gives you version 1.00 of the game and the patch won't install, making multiplayer unavailable.

I just felt it would be worth mentioning my recent experience with GTA4:

Recently I started another run-through with Mass Effect, and after a bug made me lose about an hour of progress I got frustrated and thought it would be great to take that out in some GTA.

Since I had reformatted (Vista->W7), I brought my saved games over -- but they weren't being recognized. I was annoyed, but quickly realized that I didn't remember much of the story as I finished it over a year ago. I have since put another 10+ hours into the game over the holiday weekend and am absolutely loving it...despite its performance issues, the game world is so detailed, the gameplay enjoyable, and the writing hilarious. I have now put over 65 hours total into the game, and that is only really sticking to the main story-line. I'm excited to get through the story and check out some of the side-missions...definitely a classic game in my opinion, even if I do miss a new GTA Vice City.

Back